Am I a Difficult Customer?

Taylor95

You are getting the responses you want but yes you are a difficult customer

No, the OP is not being difficult. The TA is. Here in the States what the OP is asking is not considered being difficult, rude, etc. I'd be darn sure never to give any business to someone to would have talked to me that way or treated me the way the TA did the OP. I'm willing to bet that TA has lost lots of money for himself and his company. I'd report him to someone higher up at the company he works for.

Harriet

Hi,

Its wonderful how one finds exactly what one is looking for on the forum. Thanks Cruisecritic & members.

My problem is similar, my TA is really hard to get right after I made the payments. And we are large group of 27 people. He's made some blunders like charging us extra $4000 (and hasnt been refunded yet after 1 month), interchanged people in cabins without asking & for no apparent reason, had told us he'd get our cabins close by but now they are on different decks, etc.

I'm really tired, can I now call NCL and have them fix my problems or would they ask me to get in touch with my TA again?

You would need to cancel your travel agent and turn the booking over to NCL in order for them to take over your reservation in order for them to fix it.

I am not even sure that is possible if your booking is over 60 days old or paid in full. The best thing to do is call Norwegian and ask them. I see you're in India so I hope this can get things fixed for you.

I am aware of the fact that in writing this you are giving the image of yourself that you want others to have. To be honest, if you have to ask if you are being difficult, you probably are. Maybe not intentionally, but..... Even so, that does not excuse the TA's attitude.

Edited by rbrugler

I am having a really bad experience with my TA & current booking. I don't think I'm difficult or demanding, but my TA is really making me feel like I am! I have cruised two times and currently have my third booked & have used the same large online company for all. When I originally booked my June cruise in October, I booked two cabins, an inside & B6 balcony. In January (before final payment), prices dropped and I was able to save over $1100 by switching to two guarantee balconies. My TA made the change for me but complained horribly how long he had to sit on hold etc. - made me feel guilty for making the change. After I printed the revised booking I saw an error with my OBC so as bad as I hated to, I called him back. Once again he complained about the amount of time he was having to spend on my booking & actually said to me that after so many hours of his invested time he wasn't making any money & if I was going to need a lot more maybe we should part our ways. I was aggravated with his attitude but apologized and said he wouldn't hear from me again until final payment. Fast forward, final payment was made a couple weeks ago & today I see where M6 cabins have dropped to only $40 more a person than what I paid for a BX. I was super excited & made the dreaded call to my TA to ask if it was possible for me to pay the difference & upgrade. He called NCL, called me back and said I could upgrade but would lose my OBC. Then...he said to me "I am an hour into a call with NCL, I need a yes or no answer"!. Talk about sucking the excitement out of me! I know I have had multiple requests, but is this behavior normal? If so, I will plan on booking direct with NCL next time so I don't have to feel guilty about asking for changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have canned His Royal Nastiness before making final payment! Do not use him again!!

Edited by SissasMomE

I'm not defending the OPs TA (probably is a jerk) but it's really hard to be a good TA at an online TA.

These are basically call centers, usually outsourced from the parent company. Agents are required to get all of the customers information, match them to the perfect cruise, try to upsell them (insurance, better cabin, etc) take payment, and go over all the terms and conditions - all in less than 12.5 minutes.

They often make minimum wage and a small commission on their sales. They make nothing servicing the bookings and are under constant pressure from their supervisors to make their sales quotas. It's a real no win situation. It's why there is such a large turnover at these large online agencies.

I'm not defending the OPs TA (probably is a jerk) but it's really hard to be a good TA at an online TA.

These are basically call centers, usually outsourced from the parent company. Agents are required to get all of the customers information, match them to the perfect cruise, try to upsell them (insurance, better cabin, etc) take payment, and go over all the terms and conditions - all in less than 12.5 minutes.

They often make minimum wage and a small commission on their sales. They make nothing servicing the bookings and are under constant pressure from their supervisors to make their sales quotas. It's a real no win situation. It's why there is such a large turnover at these large online agencies.

I was afraid of this & hate that their job is structured that way. As a customer we want the best deal we can get which in turn means less money in their pocket. Because of his rudeness though he will make a lot less money from me because I will not book with him again. Going forward I will book direct so I can manage my own booking guilt free.

I was afraid of this & hate that their job is structured that way. As a customer we want the best deal we can get which in turn means less money in their pocket. Because of his rudeness though he will make a lot less money from me because I will not book with him again. Going forward I will book direct so I can manage my own booking guilt free.

I'm thinking I deal with this agency and have heard about you know who from others although I've never dealt with him myself. Had two wonderful agents there who left, unfortunately, got a new guy who didn't know much, and then called and got an experienced agent. I booked with the person who answered the phone, selected a cabin I wanted, and thought all was well. That person didn't place the reservation immediately and I lost the cabin. She refused to watch for another one to become available, saying she was too busy. Perhaps she was but it was her fault I didn't get the cabin. Next booking was with the guy who didn't know much. Turns out he is very willing to please and goes the extra mile.

I would not cut off my nose to spite my face. If OP gets great deals as I do, call up and try another agent.

If customer service is more important than price, I'd use a local agent. We've used a local one for land tours in Europe with great service, just not the rock bottom price which combines air with the tour.

The question here is not so much whether the OP is being difficult or not but rather what level of service can one expect from an online agent.

My husband and I travel frequently for business and do most of our booking with online agents but when we have something that needs a bit more "care and feeding", we use a local agent. Why? Because we understand that the online agents likely have the best prices but in exchange, the level of service you receive is pretty low. If we think we will need someone to make frequent changes, have a complicated booking etc, then we will pay a bit more to get the more personal touch.

Although the things the OP asked for are not uncommon, they did require significant time on the part of the agent. I don't blame him for getting upset, he isn't getting paid for that level of effort but at the same time, he handled it badly. The agent's suggestion that they part ways is a good one - this will never be a happy business relationship as the OP wants a higher level of service than this agent is getting paid to provide.

I don't blame him for getting upset, he isn't getting paid for that level of effort but at the same time, he handled it badly. The agent's suggestion that they part ways is a good one - this will never be a happy business relationship as the OP wants a higher level of service than this agent is getting paid to provide.

He is in the service industry; the position requires him to "grin and bear it", regardless, period. Imagine this person in a more visible position, say a front desk clerk at a hotel... Grace is not always easy, but is always essential in this line of work.

This guys does sound like one that I used previously. Always had an attitude and was never appreciative of our business. Always acted like it was a bother to do anything but he gave me good deals so I stuck with him for a while. No more. I do think you should make a call to his sales supervisor.

The question here is not so much whether the OP is being difficult or not but rather what level of service can one expect from an online agent.

My husband and I travel frequently for business and do most of our booking with online agents but when we have something that needs a bit more "care and feeding", we use a local agent. Why? Because we understand that the online agents likely have the best prices but in exchange, the level of service you receive is pretty low. If we think we will need someone to make frequent changes, have a complicated booking etc, then we will pay a bit more to get the more personal touch.

Although the things the OP asked for are not uncommon, they did require significant time on the part of the agent. I don't blame him for getting upset, he isn't getting paid for that level of effort but at the same time, he handled it badly. The agent's suggestion that they part ways is a good one - this will never be a happy business relationship as the OP wants a higher level of service than this agent is getting paid to provide.

I agree 100% with this. As a former TA, I can attest to the amount of work it takes to cater to a "more selective" client. Most TA's work almost exclusively for commission (which is split with the agency who they contract with). The problem with those cheaper, huge online TA's is that the initial savings usually comes directly from their commission, and the remainder is minimal pay for minimal work. So, if you ask for more than minimal work, especially if it involves cutting their pay even further, they are likely resentful - I'm not saying that that's ok (and should never be conveyed to the client), it just is what it is... Those big savings often cost the consumer in service as a trade off.

I worked for a local agency, and had a good base of repeat clientele. Even so, I moved on when I calculated that in actuality I was earning less than $2 per hour.. This came about when people started using the Internet more and more for booking themselves to save money (often with the large online agencies) after using me for research and information. The local agency i worked for had a hard time as well, first having to charge a fee for airline tickets (after the airlines stopped paying commission), and later fees for booking more elaborate trips - and even so, they had to close their doors after more than 50 years in business. The travel business is a tough one, with extremely low profit margins - and you basically get what you pay for. Yes, there are some great online agents, but likely it's because they can balance "easy" profitable clients with ones who require a bit more effort. Most, though, get in to the business thinking they can make good money, and eventually realize how little money they actually make and drop out (and I'm thinking this is where the OP's agent is heading).

It's just the reality of the business - really great service usually costs a bit more. The attitude and behavior of the agent, however, was wrong.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I'm a relatively new TA, but I agree that you should dump him. For several reasons.

1. If he's discounting NCL fares (by using his commission) then he's not going to be a TA for NCL for long (they don't allow that). Now if they're discounted because he finds you a better rate code - no problems.

2. If he's so pissed about a reduction in his comission that he won't bend over backwards to make you happy - he won't be a TA for long. The goal is to make your clients happy, and even if you take a hit in commission - if they're happy, they will be repeat customers/refer friends & family. My first booking ever generated me 5 more leads (based on the service I provided - I even answered the phone at midnight since her husband was deployed - and pre-arranged it to answer his questions) and 3 more bookings. He's very short-sighted - but again, if he works in a call center there's a reason for that.

3. I've given away some of my comission for OBC/Onboard gifts, and worked very hard with my clients to find what FITS. Not just their budget - but what they're looking for in a vacation. Yes, I get paid via commission - but what KEEPS me getting paid is happy clients.

4. Based on what you said - I would hardly say you're a difficult customer, I had one that was very difficult. She called me, then couldn't wait to get me off the phone (she had never worked with a TA before). All the questions I asked were answered with 1 or 2 word responses, and I never got a chance to really know her or her family, or what they were looking for. As I would find options for their travel, she would change dates/times/countries, and I'd start again. She gave me hard & fast rules on flight times - then booked online (not with me) with a place that gave her the trip for $500 less than what I was quoting - and the times didn't match the flight time rules she gave me (for the record, we actually beat the price she paid by $100 when I used the new flight times). I never once got pissed, complained to her, or did anything other than what she asked. When she booked online (not with me), I sent her an email that said "Enjoy your vacation! You guys CERTAINLY deserve it!" Then shook my head and said "You can't win them all."

5. Find a new TA. One that cares about you and your family, and one that looks for the best VALUE (which may not always be the best price).

Hi everyone and thanks for the responses, though I'm not sure which ones were meant for me & which were meant for-me or the earlier post

- Any reason why no one's taking names? I'm not sure about the rules here.

I think I can speak with some experience as I am a travel agent and would NEVER EVER treat a client the way you say you are being treated. In fact, I get excited for my customers when they get "upgrades". I do believe that there is a huge difference between an actual travel agent and an online order taker.......travel agents (usually - I cant speak for all of us) became travel agents because we are passionate about travel and truly want to make sure our clients have the best vacation they can. We take the time to speak to you and often suggest vacation options that you hadn't even thought about.

Please do not misunderstand me - I am not knocking online travel agencies as a rule (and actually used them before I became an agent). I am just pointing out that a private agent might have more time to invest in each of their clients.....and SHOULD be there before, during and after your vacation. And I agree with others, if you are being mistreated you should definitely speak to a supervisor! Enjoy your cruise and celebrate your savvy shopping skills.........

I am having a really bad experience with my TA & current booking. I don't think I'm difficult or demanding, but my TA is really making me feel like I am! I have cruised two times and currently have my third booked & have used the same large online company for all. When I originally booked my June cruise in October, I booked two cabins, an inside & B6 balcony. In January (before final payment), prices dropped and I was able to save over $1100 by switching to two guarantee balconies. My TA made the change for me but complained horribly how long he had to sit on hold etc. - made me feel guilty for making the change. After I printed the revised booking I saw an error with my OBC so as bad as I hated to, I called him back. Once again he complained about the amount of time he was having to spend on my booking & actually said to me that after so many hours of his invested time he wasn't making any money & if I was going to need a lot more maybe we should part our ways. I was aggravated with his attitude but apologized and said he wouldn't hear from me again until final payment. Fast forward, final payment was made a couple weeks ago & today I see where M6 cabins have dropped to only $40 more a person than what I paid for a BX. I was super excited & made the dreaded call to my TA to ask if it was possible for me to pay the difference & upgrade. He called NCL, called me back and said I could upgrade but would lose my OBC. Then...he said to me "I am an hour into a call with NCL, I need a yes or no answer"!. Talk about sucking the excitement out of me! I know I have had multiple requests, but is this behavior normal? If so, I will plan on booking direct with NCL next time so I don't have to feel guilty about asking for changes.

Your TA is an ars, get rid of him. It is obvious that he does not want to provide a service, but to just collect his commission. I personally find it better to deal directly with the cruise lines.

Edited by Irene7

Hi everyone and thanks for the responses, though I'm not sure which ones were meant for me & which were meant for-me or the earlier post

- Any reason why no one's taking names? I'm not sure about the rules here.

I'm a relatively new TA, but I agree that you should dump him. For several reasons.

1. If he's discounting NCL fares (by using his commission) then he's not going to be a TA for NCL for long (they don't allow that). Now if they're discounted because he finds you a better rate code - no problems.

2. If he's so pissed about a reduction in his comission that he won't bend over backwards to make you happy - he won't be a TA for long. The goal is to make your clients happy, and even if you take a hit in commission - if they're happy, they will be repeat customers/refer friends & family. My first booking ever generated me 5 more leads (based on the service I provided - I even answered the phone at midnight since her husband was deployed - and pre-arranged it to answer his questions) and 3 more bookings. He's very short-sighted - but again, if he works in a call center there's a reason for that.

3. I've given away some of my comission for OBC/Onboard gifts, and worked very hard with my clients to find what FITS. Not just their budget - but what they're looking for in a vacation. Yes, I get paid via commission - but what KEEPS me getting paid is happy clients.

4. Based on what you said - I would hardly say you're a difficult customer, I had one that was very difficult. She called me, then couldn't wait to get me off the phone (she had never worked with a TA before). All the questions I asked were answered with 1 or 2 word responses, and I never got a chance to really know her or her family, or what they were looking for. As I would find options for their travel, she would change dates/times/countries, and I'd start again. She gave me hard & fast rules on flight times - then booked online (not with me) with a place that gave her the trip for $500 less than what I was quoting - and the times didn't match the flight time rules she gave me (for the record, we actually beat the price she paid by $100 when I used the new flight times). I never once got pissed, complained to her, or did anything other than what she asked. When she booked online (not with me), I sent her an email that said "Enjoy your vacation! You guys CERTAINLY deserve it!" Then shook my head and said "You can't win them all."

5. Find a new TA. One that cares about you and your family, and one that looks for the best VALUE (which may not always be the best price).

Sounds like you are a wonderful TA! I wish we were allowed to share info on this site :)

Edited by Taylor95

I think your TA should look at his job description

He sounded like a big jerk and I would have told him to .....

And then found someone else or used NCL directly

He is there to get you the best deal possible and to tell you he isn't making any money off of you is BS

He doesn't work for free

Sorry you had to go thru that

My experience with a TA was great

She called and asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a suite for $50 and I did

Suite life on NCL was new to me and I had no clue

It was great but spoiled me for less

Enjoy!!

Sorry you've never had a good one! They are worth their weight in gold!

True, however the problem is finding one. The process of trial and error can be long and frustrating.

I used a TA for my current sailing due to the pricing. America's largest cruise agency if you believe the advertising. My TA never even responded to the email I sent regarding an itinerary change on our sailing. The only thing I ever got after booking was a canned email trying to sell me trip insurance. I will never use them again. With any luck I will receive the "post vacation survey" they claim to send to everyone on their website.

IMO, the OP might be considered a bit high maintenance by some, but certainly not difficult. All she is asking for is for them to do the job they signed up for. That is simply the nature of the service industry.

wow! what a jerk! I suggest you "part ways", lol.

I deal directly with NCL and am so happy with the service!! With our current holiday booking i've made 4 changes :eek::eek: lol but they always seem happy to help and very understanding of our needs.

good luck!!

We always use a pcc from Nal, and are always pleased with their knowledge of the cruises, and service.

Sounds like you are a wonderful TA! I wish we were allowed to share info on this site :)

Same here, but I understand why they don't. :)

Funny thing is, if you're a decent internet sleuth - you can likely find me. I actually found the company that I'm working for while trying to internet sleuth a TA that someone was complaining about on here. I didn't find him (or the agency he worked for), but I did find a company that I was interested in - and jumped in with both feet!

Very true, technically. But aren't there other ways to cut commission without violating NCL rules? I believe a TA must offer the same "base price" (or even provide a cheaper group rate), but can't they then use some of their commission to provide other enticements, like additional OBC or perks like "free UDP"? I've been out of the business for a while, but I would think this is what most of the big online box agencies are doing.. Either way, i agree with you that the best agents are generally not the ones at the big online agencies answering the phone, but instead the ones either more local or who maintain a long relationship with their clients.

Robin

I keep control over my own bookings and you can see why.