Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer

I'm interested in hearing about this itinerary from people who have experienced it. DH and I are currently comparing it with the Coral Princess Partial Transit.

I did try to find info via the ports threads, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity.

What a did you like/dislike? If you have done both HAL and Princess, were there any differences?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

:D

I'm interested in hearing about this itinerary from people who have experienced it. DH and I are currently comparing it with the Coral Princess Partial Transit.

I did try to find info via the ports threads, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity.

What a did you like/dislike? If you have done both HAL and Princess, were there any differences?

We did this and really enjoyed it. Our MDR staff were superb and the food good.

the ports were great. We arranged private tours in a couple of the ports which were wonderful and at Gatun Lake did the Embera Indian village. Very different and fun.

Let us know your specific questions and we are happy to help.

We had a great time. Definitely get up early to see the Panama as they enter. They open up the decks and the Panama buns are always fun to have :D

We did this and really enjoyed it. Our MDR staff were superb and the food good.

the ports were great. We arranged private tours in a couple of the ports which were wonderful and at Gatun Lake did the Embera Indian village. Very different and fun.

Let us know your specific questions and we are happy to help.

We had a great time. Definitely get up early to see the Panama as they enter. They open up the decks and the Panama buns are always fun to have :D

Thanks for responding. Did you have a balcony on this cruise?

I would definitely be up and out to be on the bow to enter the locks! I would love to do the small boat trip through the canal to the Pacific.From what I read everyone seems to enjoy the Embera village.

This cruise would be our first visit to Curacao as well - what do you recommend there?

DH is plowing through David McCullough's 'Path Between the Seas' - a great gift that suddenly has him wanting to book this cruise!

We have done this cruise a few times. We really enjoyed the white water rafting in Costa Rica. Curacao is one of the stops where we cross the swinging bridge, do the markets, walk and enjoy. Great place for pictures!

Thanks for responding. Did you have a balcony on this cruise?

I would definitely be up and out to be on the bow to enter the locks! I would love to do the small boat trip through the canal to the Pacific.From what I read everyone seems to enjoy the Embera village.

This cruise would be our first visit to Curacao as well - what do you recommend there?

DH is plowing through David McCullough's 'Path Between the Seas' - a great gift that suddenly has him wanting to book this cruise!

You are very welcome. Yes, we had a balcony - actually an SA cabin - but don't restrict yourself to the balcony. We alternated and there was some neat stuff to see there but you had to be out for full view out front for at least part of it.

Curacao is a beautiful, beautiful port. do be up as you enter to see it as when you leave it could be different views. You can easily do Curacao on your own - so much right there with the floating market, etc.

There are great private tours with visits to the rest of the island which is also worthwhile.

It's a great port - we always enjoy going back. People are friendly. The island Is beautiful. We happily go back there as much as possible

Hi

I did this on HAl last November. Food was the best I had anywhere except in the Pinnacle.. I had a balcony.. I loved going out and sitting in the middle of the night. All you could here was th ship passing through the sea. did not take many tours I wanted to enjoy just going through the canal. Weather was hot but it was great.

Mary

We did this cruise last December on the Zuiderdam. Here are the scanned daily activities (On Locations) from that cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1396

In addition, here are the scanned daily menus for both the Lido Restaurant and the Main Dining Room, both lunch and dinner, for our cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1311

We spent our time going back and forth through the Panama Canal from our aft-wrap cabin and avoided the crowd on the main deck.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1434

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1436

Note that the Zuiderdam passes through the locks, tenders excursion passengers, and then immediately returns through the locks. Note the large white Princess ship following us on the parallel set of locks.

We had been to Curacao before so enjoyed sitting on the verandah and watching the swinging bridge open and close.

Hope this gives you a head start on your cruise planning on the Zuiderdam.

Edited by Crew News

We have also done this cruise a couple of times.

If you have never experienced the locks, this is a good introduction to them. The approach to them can start as early as 5 AM. You will pass many freighters sitting and waiting their turn -- some will be there for several days They are all lit up. The ship will start to enter the first lock around 6 - 6:30.

Curacao -- take a city tour to introduce yourself to the island.

Panama -- once you have gone through the locks, you will anchor for a while. This is so that people can take the tenders to shore for their tours. Only people on HAL's excursions can get off the ship here. There are no private vendors on shore. After you completed your excursion, you will be taken to Colon where you will meet up with the ship.

Costa Rica -- we have done the Tortuguero Canal excursion where you ride on a boat to see all the beautiful wildlife.

We are booked for the 10 day in October. Can someone who has been on this cruise tell me where the ship docks in Curacao. On the Noordam we were at the main dock not downtown, sure would like to be downtown this time. Linda

Wow! Thanks so much for all of your info. It will be such a great help for us to make a truly informed decision.

Crew News, your photos are fabulous! I can't wait to be able to observe all of that activity in person. The menus were a good read, with plenty of variety. Thanks so much for sharing.

We have done this cruise twice. It is a fun trip. It sounds like your DH would love the ferry boat excursion to the Pacific. If he is really into the workings of the locks he will enjoy the day. I highly recommend this cruise.

Enjoy the trip!!

We've done it several times... Here's a couple of links to the trip...

The other on the trip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiuhbIuPqZA

We've done the Coral Princess & the Z-dam Both are wonderful... Not a full transit, but a great time!! Holland America has been choice for the last 7 cruises & will continue to be. Do understand that one of the vids was for the kiddo so he could take it to school...

Doesn't matter who you go with... Just settle in & say... Life is great & enjoy!!!

I usually sail HAL, but I booked the Coral Princess for this cruise back in 2012 due to it being $400 less than the Zuiderdam. I think the Zuiderdam does a better itinerary than the Coral Princess, but in terms of the ship, dining, entertainment, cabin, and service, I was very pleased with the Coral Princess and would sail Princess again.

When we came back thru the locks after being in Gatun Lake, the Zuiderdam was right behind us.

My only disappointment didn't have anything to do with the cruise line. There was a bad storm the day we entered the Canal, and all shorex were cancelled. I didn't get to take the boat trip thru to the Pacific. Guess I'll have to do it again.

Besides the thrill of experiencing the Panama Canal, I got to spend Thanksgiving and a milestone birthday on the cruise.

Roz

We are booked for the 10 day in October. Can someone who has been on this cruise tell me where the ship docks in Curacao. On the Noordam we were at the main dock not downtown, sure would like to be downtown this time. Linda

for the last number of years -- no matter what HAL ship we have been on -- we have always docked at the Mega pier. The only time we docked inside the channel on a HAL cruise was in 2000 on the Zaandam.

NCL -- always docked in the channel.

Curaçao... My favorite Caribbean port (tied with Grand Turk).

I have been twice. Once on the Zuiderdam panama 10 day where we docked at the maga pier and once on the Westerdam Southern 7 day when we docked in the canal.

If you like beaches and snorkling, I highly recommend Porto Playa Marie. It's about a 30-45 min ride from the pier. Take a taxi ($20 pp each way). Arrange with the taxi to pick you up at a specified time.

The beach is very quiet. We were the first ones there and had the beach to ourselves for an hour. Later about 8-10 other small groups joined. It a decent beach, facilities available, restaurant on site, dive shop to rent snorkel equip, and good snorkeling only a few feet in.

Bring water shoes if you have them as there is an area of shells/ rocks right where you get in the water.

If you are concerned about being too far from the ship, Kontiki Beach is close, similar facilities but is more crowded. We had the taxi give us an island tour and drop us at the beach. Then we were picked up (at requested time) and dropped off downtown. We strolled they the market, walked the bridge and back on board.

In Panama, we did the a boat trip on Gutan Lake. We got to stop at the lock visitors center and it worked out we got to watch the Zuiderdam return thru.

In Costa Rica, we did the train ride. Being train fans, it was nice riding thru the rainforest. Following the train, we did a river boat cruise. This too was nice but too much (in hindsight) like the Panama boat ride.

Hope this input helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Curaçao... My favorite Caribbean port (tied with Grand Turk).

I have been twice. Once on the Zuiderdam panama 10 day where we docked at the maga pier and once on the Westerdam Southern 7 day when we docked in the canal.

If you like beaches and snorkling, I highly recommend Porto Playa Marie. It's about a 30-45 min ride from the pier. Take a taxi ($20 pp each way). Arrange with the taxi to pick you up at a specified time.

The beach is very quiet. We were the first ones there and had the beach to ourselves for an hour. Later about 8-10 other small groups joined. It a decent beach, facilities available, restaurant on site, dive shop to rent snorkel equip, and good snorkeling only a few feet in.

Bring water shoes if you have them as there is an area of shells/ rocks right where you get in the water.

If you are concerned about being too far from the ship, Kontiki Beach is close, similar facilities but is more crowded. We had the taxi give us an island tour and drop us at the beach. Then we were picked up (at requested time) and dropped off downtown. We strolled they the market, walked the bridge and back on board.

In Panama, we did the a boat trip on Gutan Lake. We got to stop at the lock visitors center and it worked out we got to watch the Zuiderdam return thru.

In Costa Rica, we did the train ride. Being train fans, it was nice riding thru the rainforest. Following the train, we did a river boat cruise. This too was nice but too much (in hindsight) like the Panama boat ride.

Hope this input helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the great info!

We love snorkeling, so your Curacao recommendations are very helpful to us. (I also hear that the island has some amazing shopping - something I don't normally do on a cruise- which I will try to make time for!)

Does HAL offer coin-op laundry onboard?

I don't think the Vista class ships like Zuiderdam have do it yourself laundries.

I've been to Curacao twice but never saw any amazing shopping. What is your definition of amazing?

Roz

I don't think the Vista class ships like Zuiderdam have do it yourself laundries.

I've been to Curacao twice but never saw any amazing shopping. What is your definition of amazing?

Roz

Not my opinion, actually, but from a woman I met on Bonaire this winter. She said they fly to Curacao for the shopping.

It sounds like I will need to investigate this further....

We did this cruise last December on the Zuiderdam. Here are the scanned daily activities (On Locations) from that cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1396

In addition, here are the scanned daily menus for both the Lido Restaurant and the Main Dining Room, both lunch and dinner, for our cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1311

We spent our time going back and forth through the Panama Canal from our aft-wrap cabin and avoided the crowd on the main deck.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1434

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1436

Note that the Zuiderdam passes through the locks, tenders excursion passengers, and then immediately returns through the locks. Note the large white Princess ship following us on the parallel set of locks.

We had been to Curacao before so enjoyed sitting on the verandah and watching the swinging bridge open and close.

Hope this gives you a head start on your cruise planning on the Zuiderdam.

Thanks for the info..We are doing this cruise Feb 13, 2015, our first trip on Holland America. :)

Wow! Thanks so much for all of your info. It will be such a great help for us to make a truly informed decision.

Crew News, your photos are fabulous! I can't wait to be able to observe all of that activity in person. The menus were a good read, with plenty of variety. Thanks so much for sharing.

Glad to be able to give you a head strart on your cruise. From our aft verandah, we could look up at a large tanker in the lock behind us.

A camera team from the ship's Photography Studio will be standing on the lock walls videoing all who wave at them. We take a New Mexico flag to wave so they will focus on us for a bit longer than just panning along the side of the ship. You can purchase their video at the end of your cruise and see yourself waving.

We did the 11-day on the Zuiderdam in Oct 2012.

We stayed on the ship at the Canal and went down to lunch in the MDR. Had a great view of the canal locks through the aft MDR windows as the ship exited Gatun Lake.

Curacao is a great port for walking around. Even though our ship did not dock in the channel, we walked through a reconstructed fort, across the swinging bridge, and through the town.

In Puerto Limon we did the combined train ride, wildlife boat ride, and banana plantation tour. It was a long day but a lot of fun.

The Sunfarer is a great itinerary, especially during cold weather, as the southern Caribbean ports are always warm (hot).

The Sunfarer is a great itinerary, especially during cold weather, as the southern Caribbean ports are always warm (hot).

This is most important - warming up in the Caribbean while it's freezing (and snowing) back home!

Does HAL offer more port lectures on the canal?

This itinerary is offered for 10 or 11 days. Do you mostly book for dates that work well with your schedule, or do you want to have the most days on board possible?

Purely an informal poll, and please continue to share your experiences on this Zuiderdam itinerary.

This itinerary is offered for 10 or 11 days. Do you mostly book for dates that work well with your schedule, or do you want to have the most days on board possible?

Purely an informal poll, and please continue to share your experiences on this Zuiderdam itinerary. Thanks :D

Our 1st Sunfarer Canal trip we booked (10 days) because the dates worked with our schedule. Now that we are both retired, our 2nd Canal trip (11 days) was booked because it was longer. :D - although not long enough for us!