Princess Beverage Package Evaluator

kelly94942

Hello, Kelly.

We just discovered that two CrCr members (the Preismans) were on a June, 2014, Alaska cruise and that they have an Internet site where they have posted photos of the MDR wine list, Crooner's menu, etc. (many of the things that your parents found aboard recently). Do you recall how I linked for you a picture of a "Flavors of Mexico" bar-menu page? Well, the Preismans have posted a photo of an "Alaskan Beverage Treats" page, containing six cocktails, one beer, and one ale that you could add to your Excel worksheet, if you wish. Here is a link to the Alaskan JPG on their "Menus" page:

http://www.thepreismans.com/Images/alaska_2014/menus/island_june_14_menus_IMG_2996.jpg

Thanks again for your past work, which was extremely helpful to us.

Edited by jg51

Hi I have just ordered a coffee card, on the spreadsheet only large Lattes etc are shown as "to go" does this mean that I cannot get a regular size to go? I am assuming the larger size will mean the card will be punched twice. I cannot find the answer anywhere on the Princess site.

Thanks

They punch once for large size. As a result it is a better value to get large. Regular size is served in regular cups, (china) while large size is always served in To Go.

Hello, Kelly.

We just discovered that two CrCr members (the Preismans) were on a June, 2014, Alaska cruise and that they have an Internet site where they have posted photos of the MDR wine list, Crooner's menu, etc. (many of the things that your parents found aboard recently). Do you recall how I linked for you a picture of a "Flavors of Mexico" bar-menu page? Well, the Preismans have posted a photo of an "Alaskan Beverage Treats" page, containing six cocktails, one beer, and one ale that you could add to your Excel worksheet, if you wish. Here is a link to the Alaskan JPG on their "Menus" page:

http://www.thepreismans.com/Images/alaska_2014/menus/island_june_14_menus_IMG_2996.jpg

Thanks again for your past work, which was extremely helpful to us.

Thank you! I enjoy the Preisman's blog, but I didn't know they had taken a recent trip on Princess! I will certainly incorporate the Alaskan drinks into my next update! I'm also looking forward to reading their update on their recent cruise, now that you have brought it to my attention.

Thank you! I enjoy the Preisman's blog, but I didn't know they had taken a recent trip on Princess! I will certainly incorporate the Alaskan drinks into my next update! I'm also looking forward to reading their update on their recent cruise, now that you have brought it to my attention.

You're welcome!

After posting last night's message to you, we stumbled across yet another item. Courtesy of CrCr member "denmarks," we can now have a look at all photos of the full deck of cards on which are printed the recipes of (52?) Princess cocktails.

If you download their linked file, it turns out to be a "ZIP" containing seven JPGs, each one with several of the deck's cards depicted. We haven't looked at anything beyond a glance at the first JPG. If you look at all seven, you may discover one or more "off-menu" cocktails, but I don't know if you would want to add them to your worksheet. (By the way, the first JPG came up tilted on a 90-degree angle, so we had to rotate it with our graphic-image software.)

Here is the recent "denmarks" post that we are copying from another thread:

Here is the deck of cards with all 52 recipes

http://dmmarks.com/mexico2014/martini.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Our last cruise i kept track and figured out it would not be worth it to buy the package as we like drinks on our balcony, we spend a lot of time on it and usually get beers and rye from guest services for the room and bring pop and water on board. With the drinks going up in price its making it more attractive. Still the biggest downfall is when sitting on our balcony or having a before dinner drink in the room. Were rethinking this, the spreadsheet makes it easier to figure things out. Thanks

Our last cruise i kept track and figured out it would not be worth it to buy the package as we like drinks on our balcony, we spend a lot of time on it and usually get beers and rye from guest services for the room and bring pop and water on board. With the drinks going up in price its making it more attractive. Still the biggest downfall is when sitting on our balcony or having a before dinner drink in the room. Were rethinking this, the spreadsheet makes it easier to figure things out. Thanks

Yes but on the balcony you would have to go get the drinks yourself since room service is not part of it. :(

Question about the all-inclusive drink package: Do both adults in the room have to purchase? On Carnival, all adults 21 and over in the cabin have to purchase the package, even if one of the adults is not a heavy drinker. My DW and I are sailing on the Grand Princess in January and we were thinking of just purchasing one all-inclusive package.

Thanks.

Question about the all-inclusive drink package: Do both adults in the room have to purchase? On Carnival, all adults 21 and over in the cabin have to purchase the package, even if one of the adults is not a heavy drinker. My DW and I are sailing on the Grand Princess in January and we were thinking of just purchasing one all-inclusive package.

Thanks.

No, it started out that way but now only 1 person has to buy.

Its a PP thing.

I have sailed recently on Celebrity and bought their drink package. While I will not sail Celebrity again (personal reason related to being a solo traveler) I will say that I appreciated the fact that I never had to think about price. I did not get one of their free 1-2-3- deals and paid full price. The luxury of ordering what I wanted, when I wanted, without dealing with invoices and such made it worthwhile. Additionally, if I ordered something and did not like it I was able to put it aside and try again without feeling as though I had wasted money. For me, it comes down to convenience. If I save money great. If I don't, that's okay too! :D

Because some of the drink prices have increased, do we think the package price will increase soon? Just wondering if I should prepurchase for our April 2015 cruise

I suspect they will leave the price of their AI alone unless Celebrity and RC increase their price.

Increasing the price of their regular drinks like they have done is most likely to push you towards their AI package. The higher the price is for those who want to buy drinks a la carte the more they will be pushed to the package. It is a huge profit maker and they know you can not come close to their cost.

Here it is - the updated version with all of the additional & updated prices my parents found on their cruise last week! They took a ton of menu pics for me - the list has almost doubled in size. There are a few repeats on the list - for example, if a drink is offered on multiple wine lists, I did show it multiple times on the list. Hopefully that's helpful for folks as they think about what they like to drink at specific venues.

The only 2 sections that aren't updated are the iced coffees from the International Cafe and the Flavors of Mexico. I have indicated the update date for each item, so it will be obvious how current each price is.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and as always feedback and correction suggestions are appreciated! :D

Thanks so much for the work you have put in very interesting reading we are off to Hawaii on the Grand in November and thinking about the package and would we get our monies worth now thank to you I can do the research much appreciated

Kind regards

Viv

Thank you for the spreadsheet. I calculated how much the Bev. Package would cost for one person for 31 days. $1700. approx. WHOA! That is mind boggling.

So if my DH and I both took it---that's $3400. That is the price of a cabin.

I wish Princess would make an exception for such a long cruise and reduce the price of the package. Guess I won't get the Beverage Package.

I'm sure it's embedded in this long thread, but too lazy to keep looking.

The spreadsheet I downloaded compares $56.35 per day ($49 + 15% gratuity) to the drink prices that don't appear to have the gratuity included. The gratuity might be added in the spreadsheet for the yes/no solution, but can't see the formulas.

So, is the gratuity added to the per drink charges for the final evaluation?

Thank you for the spreadsheet. I calculated how much the Bev. Package would cost for one person for 31 days. $1700. approx. WHOA! That is mind boggling.

So if my DH and I both took it---that's $3400. That is the price of a cabin.

I wish Princess would make an exception for such a long cruise and reduce the price of the package. Guess I won't get the Beverage Package.

The point isn't how much the package will cost for X days, it's how much the package will cost for X days when compared to how much drinks purchased ad hoc will cost for X days. Yes, $1700 is a lot, but not if you're going to be spending, say, $2100 when buying those same drinks one at a time.

I'm sure it's embedded in this long thread, but too lazy to keep looking.

The spreadsheet I downloaded compares $56.35 per day ($49 + 15% gratuity) to the drink prices that don't appear to have the gratuity included. The gratuity might be added in the spreadsheet for the yes/no solution, but can't see the formulas.

So, is the gratuity added to the per drink charges for the final evaluation?

it should be, if not add *1.15 at end of formula