Please save the Prinsendam

gymswim

If memory serves me (and Kazu could help), I think he said HAL was committed to her for 5 more years. That was in September.

I don't see why he wouldn't be honest if he knew something. If you ever met this Captain, he is unlike any other. People know certain HAL ships are for sale, and they still sail them. I don't understand your logic.

that's what I was told too on both cruises. HAL invested a LOT of money in the ship. I suspect more than on the S & R ships. They also give her more leeway to do more things - so more two tops were added in the dining room last time as I understood it.

The Captain may say five years but is it really his/her decision?

If someone comes along and offers HAL a good price for a 26 year old ship, at the end of it's life and in need of a costly, complete overhaul it won't be the Captain who makes the decision to unload the asset.

It will be the Executive office backed up by the accountants. And it won't matter if they have to cancel reservations past eight or twelve months out if the price and timing is right for Corporate. And I suspect this is true for all mass market cruise line ships that are 20 years or older.

So, if I had a decision to make about booking a cruise eighteen months out on two ships, and one of those ships was up for sale, I would select the one that was not. Not to say it could not be sold or chartered, just that the chances would be less. When people hear, and most have no idea, that a ship is up for sale, it would be a logical conclusion to me that the cruise line is going to spend a little as possible on maintenance until such time as the vessel is sold.

for what little it is worth, we were told that she was up for sale for a couple of days and the bean counters realized their mistake and they yanked her off. She is not up for sale (granted anything is for the right price). This ship generally commands good prices with her faithful following and unique itineraries.

They did sink a LOT of money into her and are currently replacing soft goods while she sails as I understand it.

I suspect she will be in the HAL fleet for a bit due to her command of higher prices. At least, I sincerely hope so.

I suspect her last sailing will command tremendous prices and the ship will sail full. May that be a long time to come;)

Edited by kazu

Complete speculation but is it possible that the new larger, 600 guest, Seabourn ship could be a replacement for Prinsendam? After all HAL is just going bigger with their main ships.

That wouldn't be larger but smaller - Prinsendam holds 840 at my best recollection. that is an interesting speculation. I sincerely hope HAL keeps one in the fleet.

that's what I was told too on both cruises. HAL invested a LOT of money in the ship. I suspect more than on the S & R ships. They also give her more leeway to do more things - so more two tops were added in the dining room last time as I understood it.

for what little it is worth, we were told that she was up for sale for a couple of days and the bean counters realized their mistake and they yanked her off. She is not up for sale (granted anything is for the right price). This ship generally commands good prices with her faithful following and unique itineraries.

They did sink a LOT of money into her and are currently replacing soft goods while she sails as I understand it.

I suspect she will be in the HAL fleet for a bit due to her command of higher prices. At least, I sincerely hope so.

I suspect her last sailing will command tremendous prices and the ship will sail full. May that be a long time to come;)

I tend to agree especially with that last statement. I wouldn't be surprised that when the end comes there will be a big farewell season that would be quite popular, as happened with both the Grand Dame and with QE2.

Roy

That wouldn't be larger but smaller - Prinsendam holds 840 at my best recollection. that is an interesting speculation. I sincerely hope HAL keeps one in the fleet.

I have long thought that the next Prinsendam would be built on a tweaked Seabourn Odyssey platform.

Carnival Corporation has a history of using common designs for some newbuilds for their various operating companies.

The Captain may say five years but is it really his/her decision?

If someone comes along and offers HAL a good price for a 26 year old ship, at the end of it's life and in need of a costly, complete overhaul it won't be the Captain who makes the decision to unload the asset.

It will be the Executive office backed up by the accountants. And it won't matter if they have to cancel reservations past eight or twelve months out if the price and timing is right for Corporate. And I suspect this is true for all mass market cruise line ships that are 20 years or older.

So, if I had a decision to make about booking a cruise eighteen months out on two ships, and one of those ships was up for sale, I would select the one that was not. Not to say it could not be sold or chartered, just that the chances would be less. When people hear, and most have no idea, that a ship is up for sale, it would be a logical conclusion to me that the cruise line is going to spend a little as possible on maintenance until such time as the vessel is sold.

Of course it's not the Captain's decision. He was reporting what he was told by the HAL powers that be. I understand that the minimum would be spent on maintenance if a ship was for sale. I don't think you understand the "Prinsendam Following" at all. There is probably no other ship in any fleet that has the number of repeat customers. From reading your posts, you sail the monster ships of Celebrity. It's an entirely different experience and I have sailed Celebrity. You wouldn't understand. If the Captain said 5 years as reported by HAL ---to the 4 stars who have sailed 200 days--probably mostly on Prinsendam---I believe him. But, that is because it's Prinsendam. On Celebrity, I probably wouldn't know or care who the captain was! And, I would be willing to bet that if Prinsendam were put up for sale, her followers would still book cruises on her, for one last perfect time! We don't sail her because of her pristine condition. You would know (maybe) if you had ever sailed her. Her prices are in line with luxury lines. Do you really think HAL would give that up? This is HAL's only edge at getting customers from the luxury segment.

I have long thought that the next Prinsendam would be built on a tweaked Seabourn Odyssey platform.

Carnival Corporation has a history of using common designs for some newbuilds for their various operating companies.

Regent is building a new ship and could get rid of Navigator. We really like the ship, but she doesn't sail well in rough waters, like Prinsendam.

Complete speculation but is it possible that the new larger, 600 guest, Seabourn ship could be a replacement for Prinsendam? After all HAL is just going bigger with their main ships.

I suspect Seabourn cabins are larger than they would need to be on Prinsendam III. I wonder if that platform could be slightly modified, particularly with interior spaces to produce a capacity that would make sense.

Roy

Our preference is not really on larger ships per sae or on Celebrity. Our next cruise is on Princess. Our last three have been Celebrity, Carnival, and NCL. We did like the smaller ship when we were on Crystal Symphony a number of years ago. We typically go with the mass market lines ...usually HAL, Celebrity, and Princess are on the short list because they offer better value based on our preferences.

Our focus is primarily on getting a ship that is very well maintained. It is necessary for us to have lowest possible chance of ending up in a cabin with persistent plumbing or HVAC challenges and/or associated mold issues. So this typically points us to newer ships or to fleets with newer, smaller ships.

I have absolutely no idea if HAL meets, exceeds, or underperforms on the revenue/profit goals on each of their ships.

Edited by iancal

A stately vessel. However, the economics will win out this time.

HAL won't invest the money needed to save her. Those ships don't produce the revenue of the larger ships. Unfortunately, it's just a matter of time before it is removed from the fleet.

A stately vessel. However, the economics will win out this time.

HAL won't invest the money needed to save her. Those ships don't produce the revenue of the larger ships. Unfortunately, it's just a matter of time before it is removed from the fleet.

Regretfully, I must agree with you.

The fact that none of the S-Class ships have been sold. And, that the newbuild still remains un-named, I am thinking that the Prinsendam will be retired before the new ship is introduced and that the newbuild will be Prinsendam III.

Regretfully, I must agree with you.

The fact that none of the S-Class ships have been sold. And, that the newbuild still remains un-named, I am thinking that the Prinsendam will be retired before the new ship is introduced and that the newbuild will be Prinsendam III.

I would hope they wouldn't call new ship the Prinsendam. The new ship will be nowhere near what the Prinsendam is. A large ship CANNOT be a Prinsendam and I really can't see HAL doing it or the staff voting for it (I understand that the staff get a vote in the name).

Sadly, I suspect that HAL will not have another Prinsendam. Their move is to the larger ships. I hope they do, but I suspect they will not. that's just my opinion though, so we will sail her while we can.

[quote name='kazu']Sadly, I suspect that HAL will not have another Prinsendam. Their move is to the larger ships. I hope they do, but I suspect they will not. that's just my opinion though, so we will sail her while we can.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. When the Prinsendam goes that will be the end of small ships for Holland America. After all there is Seaborn, they seem to think all the people that love the Prinsendam will migrate to Seaborn. Maybe some will, but I think more are going to migrate to Viking, Oceania and Azamara.

[quote name='Storylady']I agree with you. When the Prinsendam goes that will be the end of small ships for Holland America. After all there is Seaborn, they seem to think all the people that love the Prinsendam will migrate to Seaborn. Maybe some will, but I think more are going to migrate to Viking, Oceania and Azamara.[/QUOTE]

Same for Princess..once the Ocean and Pacific Princess are gone, I doubt sadly that they will order any small ships....:(

[quote name='rkacruiser']Pinnacle Class=Prinsendam III

But, some things have to happen before this takes place. And there is nothing in sight from our laymen's perspective.[/QUOTE]

This naming game should be announced in the next few months. Most here are waiting with baited breath.

[quote name='Storylady']I agree with you. When the Prinsendam goes that will be the end of small ships for Holland America. After all there is Seaborn, they seem to think all the people that love the Prinsendam will migrate to Seaborn. Maybe some will, but I think more are going to migrate to Viking, Oceania and Azamara.[/QUOTE]

Does Seabourn still have a liberal smoking policy? FYI, I recently read that "3rd hand smoke" from staying in a smoking room is just as harmful.

I dislike the former Renaissance ships on Oceania and Azamara. They do not compare to Prinsendam at all. We'll sail on Regent and possibly Viking. I guess all good things come to and end, but we should have 4 more years until Prinsendam is gone. We'll be 4 star by then....we may have to try Ryndam, because Maasdam may be gone as well (if that rumor is correct).