Mendenhall Glacier

Pattihaha

Hello,

We are cruising on the Star Princess in August and our ship spends a day cruising around Glacier Bay. Since we are seeing glaciers in the bay, is it worth taking the time to go to Mendenhall Glacier while docked in Juneau. Is the visitors center worth the time also?

Thanks everyone!

Hello,

We are cruising on the Star Princess in August and our ship spends a day cruising around Glacier Bay. Since we are seeing glaciers in the bay, is it worth taking the time to go to Mendenhall Glacier while docked in Juneau. Is the visitors center worth the time also?

Thanks everyone!

The Mendenhall is totally different from Glacier Bay. I won't tale a ships but a shuttle to see it at your pace. There are a lot of trails in the area.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! We aren't the hiking type, so trails don't matter much. I guess the real question here is, is it worth the time to see it? There's tons to do for us in Juneau and we're having trouble with only 8 hours in port.

Thanks again

it's impossible for us to answer your question .... we don't know you, your interests or your physical abilities.

It all depends on each person's interest level. Some people love glaciers so they'll choose a cruise that visits Glacier Bay and Hubbard, then they'll take a Kenai cruise, then they'll hike at Exit Glacier and Byron Glacier and maybe even go ice trekking at Matanuska Glacier.

If there are other sights and activities that interest you more than Mendenhall, go for it. It's your vacation so do what you want to do.

Hello,

Thanks everyone!

This will most likely be your only chance to get up close and personal with a glacier. there is a nice visitor's center and some simple walking trails designed to let you see the beautiful blue ice. Just a note but this is where we got up close with not one but two bears. Walking right on the path. We did about an hour stop there as part of a whale watching trip. We leave in two weeks to go again and we will be there again this time.

Cheers, Kenn

Hi Mapleleaves,

Thank you for your reply. Of course you don't know me or my interests. I sometimes have trouble articulating what I want to say and I think this must have been one of those times. Bottom line is since we're seeing glaciers in Glacier Bay for a 9 hour cruise around the bay, I wasn't sure if taking the time and trouble and expense to go to Mendenhall Glacier was worth it. In other words, if you have been on a cruise that took you around Glacier Bay and you also visited Mendenhall Glacier, would you recommend seeing both?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Mapleleaves,

Thank you for your reply. Of course you don't know me or my interests. I sometimes have trouble articulating what I want to say and I think this must have been one of those times. Bottom line is since we're seeing glaciers in Glacier Bay for a 9 hour cruise around the bay, I wasn't sure if taking the time and trouble and expense to go to Mendenhall Glacier was worth it. In other words, if you have been on a cruise that took you around Glacier Bay and you also visited Mendenhall Glacier, would you recommend seeing both?

Thanks for your time.

I've seen both and enjoyed both, but then again, I've been to Alaska several times and have also done other activities. Visiting Mendenhall is one of the cheapest excursions around... $20RT for the bus and you can always find a seat so no need to have this plan set in stone. If you don't go to Mendenhall what would you like to do?

I've never seen enough glaciers, so I go to Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, the Sawyer Glaciers, the Portage Glacier, etc, etc, etc, as often as I can - and that's quite a bit. The fact that you ask the question means that glaciers aren't a passion for you. At Mendenhall, the prize is walking out to Nugget Falls and seeing it from there. If you're not into the walk, I wouldn't bother. The visitor center is very good, but there's probably nothing there that you can't find online.

I've seen both and enjoyed both, but then again, I've been to Alaska several times and have also done other activities. Visiting Mendenhall is one of the cheapest excursions around... $20RT for the bus and you can always find a seat so no need to have this plan set in stone. If you don't go to Mendenhall what would you like to do?

Well, you might not always find a seat, but they'll squeeze you on anyway. :eek:

Our family of 5 took the bus there a few years ago. On the way out, we were able to grab one seat. I sat with my 12 year old (tiny) daughter on my lap. On the way back, we all stood.

Well, you might not always find a seat, but they'll squeeze you on anyway. :eek:

True, but my point was that she can always get to Mendenhall. If she finds herself awestruck by Glacier Bay and wants a closer glacier view from land, Mendenhall will be there! Whereas some other activities require advance reservations or you're out of luck.

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here, but I would love to go and see Mendenhall glacier, but we are already booked on the Tracy arm fjord excursion, and will not be back into Juneau untill 3pmish.... All the excursions from our cruise to Mendenhall leave earlier, is there anyway to see the park later in the afternoon or over dinner?

I am trying to do it all....:o

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here, but I would love to go and see Mendenhall glacier, but we are already booked on the Tracy arm fjord excursion, and will not be back into Juneau untill 3pmish.... All the excursions from our cruise to Mendenhall leave earlier, is there anyway to see the park later in the afternoon or over dinner?

Mighty Great Trips runs a shuttle bus to/from Mendenhall for only $20RT.

I think their last bus is at 6pm so you're not ready to leave Mendenhall when the last bus leaves, you'll need to call a cab. Contact them for the schedule.

Let me offer a slightly different point of view.

Everyone's priorities are different. I've been to Juneau five times and we finally made it to Mendenhall on our last trip. Whale watching and glacier landing and walkabout were higher on my priority list.

The "hike" to Nugget Falls is over pretty easy terrain and not that long of a walk. The glacier itself is not as spectacular as most glaciers seen by water and not nearly close to the experience of walking on one of the glaciers in the Juneau icefield. IMO

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Rent a car. I liked Mendenhall but liked Nugget Falls at the glacier even better. It's about a mile round trip walk to the falls if I recall. We rented a car from Juneau Car rental last year but the car was HORRIBLE and the pick up location far away. Avis has an office right in the Goldbelt hotel in Juneau and they'll come and pick you up. I booked mine for this year quite some time ago and it was less than 100 for the day. There's a lot to see and do and having a car lets you see so much more.

Hello,

Thanks everyone!

Rent a car. I liked Mendenhall but liked Nugget Falls at the glacier even better. It's about a mile round trip walk to the falls if I recall. We rented a car from Juneau Car rental last year but the car was HORRIBLE and the pick up location far away. Avis has an office right in the Goldbelt hotel in Juneau and they'll come and pick you up. I booked mine for this year quite some time ago and it was less than 100 for the day. There's a lot to see and do and having a car lets you see so much more.

Would you recommend other things to do and see while having the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OH WOW!!!!!! :eek:

I have to figure out how to get there now! Thanks for posting the pix!

Same, we are doing Tracy Arm on a small boat from the ship and only get back to Juneau at 3ish. We were in 2 minds too as to whether we would want to go to Mendallhall as well, but after the photos and watching Youtube last night and see the trip out to Mendallhall, think we better factor it in. Driving isn't an option for us so we will just have to make sure we get the bus or organise a taxi.

This is really long so hope it fits but I cut and pasted this from somewhere (can't remember where) when I was researching Juneau especially with a vehicle:

St. Therese: The Shrine is a beautiful area. It mainly consists of an old church on a peninsula, which has its own charm. There is a trail around the church with the stations of the cross. The area that the Shrine is built on is stunning IMHO. There are beautiful views of the ocean and the Chilkat Mountain range in the distance. There will probably be a ton of fish jumping in the area in August. There is a small possibility that whales can be hanging close to shore (I had one pushing me toward shore in my boat right close to the Shrine back on June). Once you get there, you could spend about 30 min to an hour looking around.

When you're downtown make sure you drive up Basin Road, across the wooden bridge and through the gorge and to the end of the road. Beautiful, short drive, look for mountain goats on Mt. Juneau. Keep going down the road to the end (less than 10 minutes) and look at the big mining compressor, then start walking up the trail. Its less than 5 minutes (should be OK with the senior) to the locked entrance to the mine, horizontal shaft. Kind of cool experience on its own. If you have time and can handle a 45 minute round trip walk, hike the flume and back. Even if you only go 1/2 way or less, its worth it.

If you like "ghost towns" go across the bridge to Douglas and visit the remains of Treadwell just past Sandy beach. Its about an hour of walking to see it all, but the trail is easy, I think even handicapped accessible. The only other worthwhile thing I would recommend on Douglas is there is a good scenic vista near false outer point. (coming across the bridge go LEFT to Treadwell, go RIGHT to false outer point). Somebody mentioned Eagle Beach....eh. The best part of it is the scenery and you're going to be passing by it on the boat anyhow. But if your going to be passing by at night its worth the trip. If you're going to Eagle Beach you might as well drive the extra 15 minutes past it to the End Of The Road. Just to say you've seen it, and there is some good scenery too. On your way to Eagle Beach there is another recommended hike (maybe not OK for the senior). Its about 3 miles each way. The trail takes you to Herbert Glacier. Its receded a lot since I first hiked there in 1999 when it was "in your face" when coming out of the woods, but its still a treat.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/1514040-day-juneau-ketchikan-nome-fit-rent.html#ixzz30TtYqxQD

You can spend 1-3 hours at the Mendenhall Glacier, or as little as 15 minutes. It all depends on if you take one of the nature walks. For a drive, you can go out as far as Eagle Beach. There are pull-outs along the road where you can view the scenery. I'd go out to Eagle Beach and hit the pull-outs going back into town. On the way in or out, you can stop at the Shrine of St. Therese. For the adults,you can stop at the Alaskan Brewing Company, take the short tour and sample their brews. You can also throw in a stop at the Macaulay Hatchery. If you're not tired of driving, you can run over to Douglas and Savikko Park/Sandy Beach. There you can see remnants of the old mining town.

In town, there's the City Museum and the State Museum. Figure anywhere from 1/2 to 1-1/2 hours each (less for the City Museum). While at the City Museum, walk over to the Capitol Building and take the free tour. You can also walk through the area and see St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church. It's actually the Mt. Roberts Tram, and on a non-low cloud day, it offers great views. If you park in the downtown corridor area or parking garages, you'll need to remember your license plate number. You have to register it at one of the parking kiosks. Check out www.juneau.org for info.

The Hangar on the Wharf is probably the most popular dining establishment. They also run the Twisted Fish Restaurant, which is open during tourist season. Of the two, Twisted Fish will be more expensive, but offers unique dishes (may be different this coming season). For a thin crust pizza or hot sandwiches try Bullwinkle's Pizza. There are 2 locations, one in the valley and one near the convention center. I only recommend them because they have video games for the younger set. For hamburgers and milkshakes, there is the Hot Bite in Auke Bay. It's expensive, so figure $70-100+ for the 5 of you. I prefer Rod Father's Broiler in the Nugget Mall. For Salmon, there's Thane Ore House and Gold Creek Salmon Bake. Gold Creek is a tourist operation. There are several ethnic restaurants too. It all depends on what type of food you want.

If you decide to do any of the above, do a search first to find more info on them. Also map them out so you have an idea of locations and distances. Juneau is not so big that you'll get lost, but some are off the beaten path.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/1514040-day-juneau-ketchikan-nome-fit-rent.html#ixzz30TtBrYGn

The rec for Eagle Beach is that you can sometimes see whales from there and have a picnic. Bring binoculars. Some of the pull outs will also give you an opportunity to see wildlife.

I'd skip Glacier Gardens. Might be a little early for it. Instead, check out the City's Jensen-Olson Arboretum (check city website), located near the Shrine (bottom of hill toward Eagle Beach on the water side). There should be some flowers blooming there, depending on how long winter lasts. Besides, it's free, but open only Wed-Sun, so it might not fit your schedule. If you still want to see Glacier Gardens, pull into the parking lot and walk to the main building. They have upturned trees there planted with flowers and if they're not blooming, it's not worth it (there's a sign there that says you must pay beyond this point).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/1514040-day-juneau-ketchikan-nome-fit-rent.html#ixzz30TtKzhbG

Would you recommend other things to do and see while having the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've never seen enough glaciers, so I go to Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, the Sawyer Glaciers, the Portage Glacier, etc, etc, etc, as often as I can - and that's quite a bit. The fact that you ask the question means that glaciers aren't a passion for you. At Mendenhall, the prize is walking out to Nugget Falls and seeing it from there. If you're not into the walk, I wouldn't bother. The visitor center is very good, but there's probably nothing there that you can't find online.

How far is Nugget Falls from the Visitor Center? We are doing a 14 night round trip on the Sun next June and will visit Juneau twice so we thought of taking the bus to Mendenhall on one stop and then seeing the town of Juneau on the other stop. also, where do you catch the bus to Mendenhall from?

How far is Nugget Falls from the Visitor Center? We are doing a 14 night round trip on the Sun next June and will visit Juneau twice so we thought of taking the bus to Mendenhall on one stop and then seeing the town of Juneau on the other stop. also, where do you catch the bus to Mendenhall from?

The bus is near the main pier and the library. There are two companies, and they should have booths to sell tickets in that location.