Childrens prices (UK sailings)

Been quoted over £700 (around $1000) to take my NINE MONTH OLD baby onboard Brilliance ots on a cruise next month [during term time!]. Kids prices throughout 2014 on all UK departures have been coming in similar.

Absolutely shameful and a blatant attempt to price families away from RCI ships imo. If they wish to go down this route why not have a few vessels set aside as Adults only like some other lines do...?!

Look at it this way - your baby is taking up a berth that might otherwise be booked by an adult who will likely be drinking alcohol, gambling, playing bingo, using the spa and in general generating lots of revenue for the cruiseline. Your baby will not be generating any revenue, so it's a loss.

Yes it is shameful and blatant. You should post about it on all the travel boards, stressing that rci hates families and does everything possible to discourage them. And worst of all, they want you to pay tips for those little babies. Its just crazy

Royal had a "kids sail free" offer earlier this year (and it may have been limited to certain cruises). But they don't usually discount children's fares; most lines don't, but a travel agent who specializes in cruises can advise you of the occasional promotions and also the few lines that do discount kids, e.g., Norwegian (discounted) and MSC (always free, I think).

Otherwise, take solace in the fact that Royal has one of the best kids' programs at sea (even more so as yours gets older), not to mention the high quality family vacation you will enjoy at a price that is truly hard to beat for other forms of family travel. We have enjoyed so many family cruise vacations--I wish you many happy voyages with yours!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Firstly the 3rd/4th pax charge is regardless of age as per previous posters.

For the sailing I believe you are looking at the price you quote is for a 3rd pax in a higher end cabin. That raises the price substantially as price is based on category type.

Secondly the best part of $200 (£120) is for port fees. (The cabin cost is approx $850)

Any sailing out of Southampton is expensive. We have paid for DD since she was a baby because we chose what we were prepared to pay collectively. If the overall cost is not something you feel represents what you wish to pay then you are probably better off looking at alternatives.

Please be aware if you choose to sail you need to organize food/nappies etc before you leave, as limited options onboard.

Look at it this way - your baby is taking up a berth that might otherwise be booked by an adult who will likely be drinking alcohol, gambling, playing bingo, using the spa and in general generating lots of revenue for the cruiseline. Your baby will not be generating any revenue, so it's a loss.

I get your point but on how many occasions do you see 4 "adults" sharing one cabin...? It barely ever happens. If RCI are potentially viewing every 3/4 birth cabin on every ship as being jam packed with alcohol drinking, speciality dining, tour puchasing adults they are deluded.

Just wait and see how upset they will be once they find out the baby will be charged gratuities as well.:eek:

"They" wont get upset. They will go on a different 4* Cruiseline instead. Thanks

"They" wont get upset. They will go on a different 4* Cruiseline instead. Thanks

I honestly hope you have a great time on your family cruise. Sounds wonderful. :) And for the record, no offense intended but it's probably best you don't sail on RCI. You sound so angry already and you haven't even booked yet. *shrug*

I get your point but on how many occasions do you see 4 "adults" sharing one cabin...? It barely ever happens. If RCI are potentially viewing every 3/4 birth cabin on every ship as being jam packed with alcohol drinking, speciality dining, tour puchasing adults they are deluded.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. It sounds like P&O or similar is more suited to what you want.

I see plenty of cabins where 3 adults share a room, and plenty of cabins where parents share rooms with older kids.

Not every cabin that is 3/4 person occupancy will be filled to the max due to occupancy levels.

However these young passengers are the next generation of cruisers. RC is one of the best family orientated cruise lines going and by enticing them young they are getting the next generations market now!

I honestly hope you have a great time on your family cruise. Sounds wonderful. :) And for the record, no offense intended but it's probably best you don't sail on RCI. You sound so angry already and you haven't even booked yet. *shrug*

Ive sailed on RCI numerous times already (?).

The other side of this is that when that baby turns 12 other types of holidays will count them as an adult and charge full price for them even if they are still sharing a room with you, RCL continue to charge 3rd person price for them which is usually a lot less.

We've been cruising and paying 3rd person price since our son was 3, he's now 20 and still paying the same rate. From age 12 it suddenly became a bargain:)

Julie