Verizon and Alaska

floralscent

We are cruising Alaska RT Seattle in a week or so and I started thinking about cell coverage and extra fees, etc. So I decided to call Verizon. I was told that we of course would be charged extra fees for use on the ship if we were not docked. If the ship is docked then they must turn off their cell tower and we would not be charged extra fees or roaming charges for texting, phone use or for data use. We will be in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.

When in Victoria British Columbia Verizon said they send a warning text to let you know that you are using Canadian towers because there can be massive fees/charges.

Although I like'd to believe Verizon and everything I was just told, I thought I'd ask all of you... If you are a Verizon customer and have been to Alaska, is what I was told true? I ask only because I really don't need to use my phone while away but if I can when the ship is docked without extra fees then I just might decide to use the good 'ol iPhone.

Thanks!

We are cruising Alaska RT Seattle in a week or so and I started thinking about cell coverage and extra fees, etc. So I decided to call Verizon. I was told that we of course would be charged extra fees for use on the ship if we were not docked. If the ship is docked then they must turn off their cell tower and we would not be charged extra fees or roaming charges for texting, phone use or for data use. We will be in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.

When in Victoria British Columbia Verizon said they send a warning text to let you know that you are using Canadian towers because there can be massive fees/charges.

Although I like'd to believe Verizon and everything I was just told, I thought I'd ask all of you... If you are a Verizon customer and have been to Alaska, is what I was told true? I ask only because I really don't need to use my phone while away but if I can when the ship is docked without extra fees then I just might decide to use the good 'ol iPhone.

Thanks!

We have Verizon. I've called home from Ketchikan, Juneau, as well as Anchorage. No problem.

Don't know about the warning text thing, as we've not tried to call home when we were in Canada.

You will get a lot of cell coverage while cruising the inside passage from Canadian towers. E.g. Vancouver island, prince Rupert. You will probably have to pay roaming charges if you get a Canadian signal from shore while cruising.

All ports are us so you should be ok if you call from port.

Everything they told you is right. Impressive - you spoke with an very informed person at Verizon.

I can't remember what notice I received on my phone when I went to use it in Victoria but it was a warning that I would be charged a higher rate.

When the ship is docked or when you are in port, you can use your phone with out any problems.

There is pretty good Verizon coverage in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau. Becareful if you go into the Yukon from Skagway.

I had data issue problems in Whittier but voice worked fine.

Edited by Coral

Our experience matches what Verizon told the OP, but I would add a little additional information.

Verizon typically doesn't actually provide the service in the ports - they contract with a local provider. The key to the whole thing is to watch your provider line on the phone. If it says "Extended" then you are hooked up to a Verizon contractor and it is "free." If it says "roaming", shut it down or be prepared to pay. The ships aren't always precise in turning their tower on or off, so watch that provider line regardless of where you are.

If you have an iPhone and choose not to shut it down when roaming, at least make sure you turn off data roaming. If not, background data transfers that don't amount to anything when on-network could cost a fortune through the ship's tower.

Yes your Verizon rep was correct. We cruised AK in 2012 and had our Verizon Android smart phones - we simply put them in airplane mode while on the ship and in port simply went back into regular mode while in port. We also received text messages upon boarding the ship and in Canada.

If you have auto update on your aps, you may want to turn it off to avoid running up a bill updating aps if roaming.

As others have said, watch your provider info - or turn on the "notify if roaming" feature.

Just off the Pearl 3 days ago to Alaska and we're Verizon customers with Iphones...here was our experience.

We left from Vancouver...didn't use Verizon cause of the international rates. We only used wifi in our hotel there cause it was free.

At sea days...didn't use our phones at all! The shipboard rates are too high for calls and internet. We kept our phones on airplane mode the entire time we were at sea--just to be sure we didn't accidentally get international roaming.

In Ketchikan...once the ship docked, we took our phones off airplane mode and everything worked just fine. We could call, or text, or send emails, etc.

In Juneau...same as in Ketchikan...as long as we were in the downtown area.

In Skagway...we could call, we could text. We could NOT send pics, send emails, nor post on FB, etc.

In Icy Strait Point...we could call, but nothing else.

In Sitka...same as Ketchikan and Juneau, as long as we were in the downtown area.

In Victoria...we didn't use our phones at all because of international roaming rates.

So, basically, what you were told is right. Calls seem to work fine in the US ports, but don't count on any texting or data-heavy apps.

And just a side note...since this was vacation, it was actually nice to dis-connect for a while--once we got used to the idea...! :):)

Hope this is helpful...! :)

I was in Canada years ago and added a Canada plan for the month - then was able to use my cell phone just like using it in the US. Now this was before data plans, so not sure what access you would have with that - but maybe call Verizon and ask them about adding a Canada plan and the options

Yes as the previous person posted - leave it in airplane mode so you don't accidently get int'l roaming or downloading - although just recently I was on the plane - had it in airplane mode and didn't realize I could get text messaging from other iphone users in airplane mode

Edited by genealogyfan

Just off the Pearl 3 days ago to Alaska and we're Verizon customers with Iphones...here was our experience.

We left from Vancouver...didn't use Verizon cause of the international rates. We only used wifi in our hotel there cause it was free.

At sea days...didn't use our phones at all! The shipboard rates are too high for calls and internet. We kept our phones on airplane mode the entire time we were at sea--just to be sure we didn't accidentally get international roaming.

In Ketchikan...once the ship docked, we took our phones off airplane mode and everything worked just fine. We could call, or text, or send emails, etc.

In Juneau...same as in Ketchikan...as long as we were in the downtown area.

In Skagway...we could call, we could text. We could NOT send pics, send emails, nor post on FB, etc.

In Icy Strait Point...we could call, but nothing else.

In Sitka...same as Ketchikan and Juneau, as long as we were in the downtown area.

In Victoria...we didn't use our phones at all because of international roaming rates.

So, basically, what you were told is right. Calls seem to work fine in the US ports, but don't count on any texting or data-heavy apps.

And just a side note...since this was vacation, it was actually nice to dis-connect for a while--once we got used to the idea...! :):)

Hope this is helpful...! :)

Do you have a contract with Verizon? Mine is through Straight Talk and still trying to figure out if I will be able to use mine. Thanks for your update!

I have Verizon. Contrary to what's reported in this thread, I had zero coverage throughout my entire Alaskan vacation. That includes Anchorage, Alyeska, Whittier, Hope, Seward and my entire cruise itinerary. I don't know what the problem was and when I talked to a local in Whittier, they told me they didn't have Verizon. My wife has AT&T and hers worked fine.

I know what Verizon told you and I can see the coverage charts. I'm just telling you my experience.

Do you have a contract with Verizon? Mine is through Straight Talk and still trying to figure out if I will be able to use mine. Thanks for your update!

My service is entirely through Verizon, so I'm sorry, I don't know what the deal would be with Straight talk. Wish I could be of more help to you! Can you contact them directly to find out...? :)

I have Verizon. Contrary to what's reported in this thread, I had zero coverage throughout my entire Alaskan vacation. That includes Anchorage, Alyeska, Whittier, Hope, Seward and my entire cruise itinerary. I don't know what the problem was and when I talked to a local in Whittier, they told me they didn't have Verizon. My wife has AT&T and hers worked fine.

I know what Verizon told you and I can see the coverage charts. I'm just telling you my experience.

How long ago?

We've been to Alaska twice in recent years (July 2012 and May/June 2013) and had good coverage with Verizon in the following places:

• Anchorage
  • Anchor Point
  • Ninilchik
  • Seward
  • Homer
  • Skagway
  • Hoonah/Icy Strait
  • Juneau
  • Ketchikan

The only issues we had were if we were in the bottom of a gulley or between two mountains - downtown in all the ports and cities was fine. We keep our phones in airplane mode when we're on the ship, then turn them back on once we're in port. I was able to email, download a book, and make/receive calls. The two years we did this were with a Droid Bionic and a Droid 3. We're going back this year with Galaxy S5s and will report on how that works.