Cruising with a toddler and infant - which room?

Hi,

We are planning a cruise next year on Brilliance of the Seas. My parents are also going and are helping us with the kids and cost. My son will be a little over 2 years (about 28 months) and my daughter will be almost a year old. I know she will still need to sleep in a pack-n-play, but I'm not sure about my son. Currently we are booked in an ocean view room with my parents next door (non connecting). The travel agent told my mother we can't have connecting rooms in a room the sleeps more than 2.

I'm worried about my son sleeping in a Pullman. Isn't this like a bunk bed? I don't think 2 pack-n-plays will fit in one room, though. I'm now thinking of getting connecting rooms for the 4 of us? Would this work? We could bring our baby monitor and keep the door open between the connecting rooms? Is this our most economical option? We live in Tampa (the port) so bringing 2 pack-n-plays is not a problem.

Hi,

We are planning a cruise next year on Brilliance of the Seas. My parents are also going and are helping us with the kids and cost. My son will be a little over 2 years (about 28 months) and my daughter will be almost a year old. I know she will still need to sleep in a pack-n-play, but I'm not sure about my son. Currently we are booked in an ocean view room with my parents next door (non connecting). The travel agent told my mother we can't have connecting rooms in a room the sleeps more than 2.

I'm worried about my son sleeping in a Pullman. Isn't this like a bunk bed? I don't think 2 pack-n-plays will fit in one room, though. I'm now thinking of getting connecting rooms for the 4 of us? Would this work? We could bring our baby monitor and keep the door open between the connecting rooms? Is this our most economical option? We live in Tampa (the port) so bringing 2 pack-n-plays is not a problem.

Pullman beds are for age 6 and up. Check the deckplans for a cabin with a sofabed instead. Two pack and plays would be tight in an ocean view cabin.

You could not put you son in a Pullman, he is much too young. Either you or your husband would need to sleep up there. Or, if there is a sofa, you could turn it to face the wall and have the room steward make it up for him to sleep there. You might consider springing for a balcony so you have a place to sit while the kids are sleeping or napping.

I was also going to suggest a balcony so you have somewhere to be while the kids nap. And I also agree to find a room with a sofa bed instead of pullman (and you can always book one kid into your room and one into your parents to have the connecting door but still have both sleep in your room once onboard.

Do they not have rails they can put on the sofa beds? Then you wouldn't have to turn it around. We were on Disney and they had rails so our toddler could sleep there.

Also something to think about is none of the normal rooms have a bathtub. With little ones that can be difficult.

Do they not have rails they can put on the sofa beds? Then you wouldn't have to turn it around. We were on Disney and they had rails so our toddler could sleep there.

Also something to think about is none of the normal rooms have a bathtub. With little ones that can be difficult.

No way a sofabed would fit in an OV cabin with a PnP which is why I suggested turning the sofa around to face the wall. That makes it secure on all sides. A small inflatable tub like the "duck" would work for baths in the shower stall. It will also work for them to splash around in on the pool deck as they are not permitted in the pools.

Hi,

category G on the Brilliance has connecting Oceanview rooms on decks 2 and 3 where one room sleeps 2 and the other sleeps 3 (1 being a Pullman). They may let you put 4 in this room due to the ages of your children. You could then get a pack n play for each room.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=03&shipCode=BR&shipProfile=1569&sailDate=1140526&hasNavigation=false

We have dealt with this before also. At the time 30 months and 6 months (5 day FOS cruise) and again at at 42 and 12 months (7 day FOS cruise). I know we are the "bad" parents, but we threw the almost 3 and then almost 4 year old in the pullman bed. You know your kids best of anybody and if that is feasible. We had the grandparents in a connecting room. It worked great.

The connecting cabins with the grandparents is the best budget scenario if they are willing. If you have connecting cabins though there is no couch just a smallish chair which would not be suitable for sleeping on. This was on Freedom. Some ships have different configurations. It worked really well to have a room connecting next door to hang out in during naps, when the kids went to sleep, etc. We took turns and one person would stay in the room during these times.

If you are against the pullman idea and the grandparents would allow, you could put a pack and play in their connecting room at night with the door open. If the 2 year old sleeps through the night they might not mind. As mentioned above you could book 3 and 3 if needed.

The best option if you are willing to pay for it is two connecting cabins for the 4 of you. The grandparents can then book a non connecting room or one across the hall.

As for the tub, we did not find it an issue. We brought a package of disposable baby wash clothes that have soap in them and suds up when wet. Get the kids wet with the removable shower head, soap them up and rinse them off. Not an issue at all.

Good Luck!

How about getting a family ocean's view room and I might recommend putting the grandparents up in a balcony really close to you. They are big so maybe everyone can be out from time to time. If the grandparents do a night sitting with the kids it gives you dinner on the balcony. There is a real table to eat on. Just some thoughts. 7040 cabin was great but any of those to the forward room would work.

What about a Family Oceanview (FO) cabin? Yes, there are bunks in there but you could just request a pack n play for your daughter and your son can sleep on the lower bunk??

Lots of extra space too! Check out the info on the Royal website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/cabin/home.do?br=R&cabincls=O&cabinType=FF&shipCode=BR&shipName=Brilliance+Of+The+Seas++++++++

Edited by smileyperry

If budget allows I would recommend a suite and preferably a GS. The extra space for when the sofa bed is pulled out together with the pack and play makes it easier moving around still allowing the kids to have space to roam until bedtime after the cabin has been set up for the night.

Regarding your comment TA said about no interconnecting rooms sleeping more than two I suggest you find a TA that knows what they are talking about:rolleyes:

JS 1080 and 1082 for example both have sofa beds and are interconnecting

9242 and 9244 are interconnecting d1's with one of the cabins having a sofa bed.

I suggest you look ate floor plans once you decide on cabin category look for a triangle to denote sofa bed and black lines denoting interconnecting.

But price wise you could probably get a GS on Bogoho for the cost of two rooms

Forgot to add

9644 and 9642 interconnect and only sleep two each

Edited by Spurschick

Leaving Sunday with our 2.75 year old and 14 month old. We are in an inside. Pack n play for the baby and then our son will either sleep on the couch or in the bed with us. Our parents are coming too. They are in a JS so when we need our balcony fix we are going to theirs!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by obsessedsc

Leaving Sunday with our 2.75 year old and 14 month old. We are in an inside. Pack n play for the baby and then our son will either sleep on the couch or in the bed with us. Our parents are coming too. They are in a JS so when we need our balcony fix we are going to theirs!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh wow! I would love to hear how it goes!!

The perfect cabin for your family is a family promenade room on Freedom. My granddaughter and her family had this room. It is 300 sq ft and has a tub with shower, Her toddler slept in a pack and play provided by RCL and her 4 year old slept in the bottom bunk bed. The Freedom also has a splash pool for diapered kids. Of course it leaves from Port Canaveral, which not a bad drive from Tampa

JS worked well when we took the kids and grandkids. There is a tub, large balcony, and a huge walk in closet. The closet could have easily turned into a "bedroom" for a PnP. But at the very least it's large enough to store a lot of stuff out of the way during the day. The sofa bed was actually large enough that Dad and 18 month old slept there.

When my kids were that little we always did connecting promenade cabins... Most affordable way to have enough space, being able to relax in our cabin while they napped in theirs was ideal.

Having the extra bathroom was nice too, as well as having 2 doors to ensure that their naps were not disturbed by us as we took turns watching them....

We did this when they were 1.5 and 2.5 and again when they were 4 and 5 years old. Just now starting to consider travelling all in one cabin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have dealt with this before also. At the time 30 months and 6 months (5 day FOS cruise) and again at at 42 and 12 months (7 day FOS cruise). I know we are the "bad" parents, but we threw the almost 3 and then almost 4 year old in the pullman bed. You know your kids best of anybody and if that is feasible. We had the grandparents in a connecting room. It worked great.

The connecting cabins with the grandparents is the best budget scenario if they are willing. If you have connecting cabins though there is no couch just a smallish chair which would not be suitable for sleeping on. This was on Freedom. Some ships have different configurations. It worked really well to have a room connecting next door to hang out in during naps, when the kids went to sleep, etc. We took turns and one person would stay in the room during these times.

If you are against the pullman idea and the grandparents would allow, you could put a pack and play in their connecting room at night with the door open. If the 2 year old sleeps through the night they might not mind. As mentioned above you could book 3 and 3 if needed.

The best option if you are willing to pay for it is two connecting cabins for the 4 of you. The grandparents can then book a non connecting room or one across the hall.

As for the tub, we did not find it an issue. We brought a package of disposable baby wash clothes that have soap in them and suds up when wet. Get the kids wet with the removable shower head, soap them up and rinse them off. Not an issue at all.

Good Luck!

I will join the bad parents club with you :p my almost 3 year old also slept in the drop down bunk her first cruise .

What about a Family Oceanview (FO) cabin? Yes, there are bunks in there but you could just request a pack n play for your daughter and your son can sleep on the lower bunk??

Lots of extra space too! Check out the info on the Royal website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/cabin/home.do?br=R&cabincls=O&cabinType=FF&shipCode=BR&shipName=Brilliance+Of+The+Seas++++++++

My daughter and her family stayed in an ocean view family stateroom. I believe there would be room for 2 pack n plays. Royal provided one so you don't have to bring your own. The bunk beds are small and the lower one is low. They are in like a little cubicle. They seemed smaller than the regular bunk beds. This was on the Adventure.

JS worked well when we took the kids and grandkids. There is a tub, large balcony, and a huge walk in closet. The closet could have easily turned into a "bedroom" for a PnP. But at the very least it's large enough to store a lot of stuff out of the way during the day. The sofa bed was actually large enough that Dad and 18 month old slept there.

We will be traveling with a 15 month and 8 yr old, we booked a GS and a connecting superior on the Allure. I love having the tub because of the baby it makes things much easier( I can't imagine trying to hold her in the shower). We plan on just leaving the connecting door open at night the baby will be in the pnp and my son in the bed.