Caribbean Princess still in Port

molme

Just saw a FB post and photo on the Port Everglades webcam site that it appears that the Caribbean Princess is offshore and appears to have stopped moving

Yes it has stopped moving off shore..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm listening to the Port Everglades webcam chatter (*sigh* yes, I do need to get a life...) and the harbourmaster told another captain something about the cruise ship doing a compass adjustment. Maybe the CB's captain had to get out the map. And we all know what a pain they are to fold back up into the glove compartment once you're done.

She called to tell her that when they boarded - her floor of the cabin was soaking wet - like water coming up into her toes - and then no a/c in the cabins at all - since it was delayed - people were actually leaving the ship - bags in hand -

They were told the delay was due to late planes - but the wet carpets and no a/c concern me more

She's under power and steaming off toward Grand Turk at almost 16 knots. Whatever the issue was, it looks like it's been resolved.

We're boarding next week

...I had scheduled a cruise (NCL Dawn) a few years ago that was cancelled the day we left for our pre-cruise hotel stay in FL. There were many problems onboard and when I woke to read the CC boards, the ship was "floating at sea" with no power!! As a result, our cruise was cancelled.

I'm praying that this won't happen again!

Barbara

Based on what a PP said was heard about a "compass adjustment", this is a not very frequent but normal procedure. Even though the ship never uses the magnetic compass, it is required to be installed, and adjusted on a regular basis (as changes in the metal of the ship around it can affect the compass reading. So, every two years, a compass adjuster will come onboard, and they will take the ship to a quiet location offshore, and "swing the ship" to get the compass readings to compare with actual headings. Then small magnets will be moved around inside the compass until it reads correctly. It takes between 1-4 hours, depending on the results. If you ever take a bridge tour, ask to see the "compass card" which will show the magnetic compass error for any heading.

Based on what a PP said was heard about a "compass adjustment", this is a not very frequent but normal procedure. Even though the ship never uses the magnetic compass, it is required to be installed, and adjusted on a regular basis (as changes in the metal of the ship around it can affect the compass reading. So, every two years, a compass adjuster will come onboard, and they will take the ship to a quiet location offshore, and "swing the ship" to get the compass readings to compare with actual headings. Then small magnets will be moved around inside the compass until it reads correctly. It takes between 1-4 hours, depending on the results. If you ever take a bridge tour, ask to see the "compass card" which will show the magnetic compass error for any heading.

Thanks for the explanation - something new to me.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app