meds

mrb&mrsb

I have heard yes and no on the boards. Take my pills in a one week minder, but also bring the bottles just in case. I think if you had prescriptions or a signed letter from your doctor listing all your prescriptions that might work as well. The chances of being questioned about them is not great, but still a possibility. I take Ritalin which is a controlled substance so doubly concerned.

WHERE are you going?? IF you are on typical cruises in the Caribbean or Mexico then you don't have to worry about original bottles. If you are just flying to a port in the USA you don't have to worry about original bottles either. I've gone to Europe many times with pills and vitamins in little plastic baggies that are not even labled,. no worries.

IF you are bringing soooo many that it looks like you might be selling them then bring the original bottles !!

Edited by riffatsea

do prescription meds have to be in original bottles?

I have found that the authorities at the airports are much more concerned about importation/exportation of drugs, so they may question pills not being in their presribed container...this could also be questioned at the port you return to by US Immigration.

My pharmacy always provides me with a smaller bottle (splits the prescription) with a label for me to travel with on each cruise. I just ask at the counter before they fill the prescription.

Keep in mind that if anything were to happen to you, People might need to know what medicine you are taking and if you have them in a M-F case or a baggie, that wont help and that could be problematic

I would always take a list of what you are taking or the original bottles just in case you fall ill and are not able to tell anyone.

It is not mandatory but I think its necessary for your own personal safety and its really not that hard to do.

I have the Dr. print out a form saying I am traveling with needles (diabetic) and take a picture with my phone of all my bottle labels. I travel with one of those weekly pill cases. I ask the room steward for a sharps container for the week.

Over the counter drugs I would keep in original containers . Drugs we buy in the drugstore is illegal to have in some countries . For example any drug containing Tylenol is considered an illegal drug in Columbia.

Over the counter drugs I would keep in original containers . Drugs we buy in the drugstore is illegal to have in some countries . For example any drug containing Tylenol is considered an illegal drug in Columbia.

All my stuff goes into those weekly containers and label each lid. No way am I using my valuable packing space with OTC bottles and prescription bottles. Most everything I use is OTC.

I always bring mine in the original bottles. On one cruise, I had an emergency right after we got off the ship was hospitalized for a week and had to spend an extra two weeks in Florida. I was glad I had the bottles with the extra drugs with me.

I always bring mine in the original bottles. On one cruise, I had an emergency right after we got off the ship was hospitalized for a week and had to spend an extra two weeks in Florida. I was glad I had the bottles with the extra drugs with me.

It all depends on how many meds are involved. However, this is why I get my scripts from a chain pharmacy, the computer has the information. Partial supplies can easily be obtained as long as narcotics are not involved. This has happened.

I guess it depends on an individual how they feel about taking or not taking original containers.

I have never carried the original prescription bottles. I use the 7 day pill box. Before anyone starts on a rant, just because I use the 7 day pill box does not mean I only bring 7 days worth. I bring extra "just in case".

I think its a good idea to take the original bottles AND a pill minder. You never know if your 7 day cruise is going to last 10 days instead! And no questions asked. I pack all my pills in my carry on. I think this is especially true if you are taking a controlled substance or even a life sustaining substance. I've never been questioned BUT it takes only one time to make for a really bad day. :eek: