When does the upgrade fairy visit?

Do not see where it asks for my approval or to stay on same side of ship. (Upgrade preferences)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

it doesn't. There are very few choices to select from. I think they do that on purpose. Then the question is would you refuse an upgrade to a better cabin if it weren't on the same side of the ship. Only you can decide.

You can always change it to no upgrade for particular sailings and change it back when it doesn't matter to you, that you would be happy with any upgrade.

We were upgraded on board the Oasis. We used our door key to our intended balcony room only to find another family in our cabin. We all freaked out. We stomped down to guest services. Turns out our new cabin was actually a grand suite. Needless to say we were very surprised and very happy. Best thing Royal ever did because we got hooked on the GS's and have never turned back.
So they upgraded you to a suite but didn't give you a gold card? :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We were upgraded on Enchantment about 6 or so weeks before our Feb 2014 sailing. There was a price drop after final payment; but not in regular balcony cabins, which were pretty much sold out, but the price came down for JS s, and there were loads left. I called to find out how much more it would be for me to pay upgrade, didn't like the answer and said no thanks. Then I noticed that a primo aft balcony JS had opened up, so I called back, figuring a paid upgrade would be worth it for an aft balcony. The rep I spoke to said I had ALREADY been given a complimentary upgrade to a JS ( we were just under 100 cruise points at the time). Being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I enquired about switching to the primo aft JS, and she happily made the switch! :D

I got an email last Tuesday offering an upgrade from 2nd floor cove balcony to 11th floor balcony for $40 total. We took it, and I asked about the others in our group, and they moved them to 10th floor for the same price, so we were excited.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3

The last time I saw the upgrade fairy, she was being hauled off to the ER for a transfusion of fairy dust! In more than 30 cruises with RCI I am batting zip, zero, nada, the big bagel..... My profile says I will accept an upgrade. Can't even attribute the lack of upgrades because of choosing the low rent, low deck cabins since we normally stay in balcony and above:confused:.

Your post is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!:D:D

When getting upgraded what is usually the minimum you will get? (ie. going from D... to JS or D8 to D6?)

Usually one major category jump, so D to JS, or JS to GS.

Hi everyone,

I read here of people who have had an upgrade with Royal and I'm glad ... between all of my friends or people I know through forums no one has ever had an upgrade and I was beginning to believe that with RCCL really rarely happen!

I remain, however, a couple of things that I did not understand:

- it is possible that the upgrade arrivals even after the final payment?

- We can see on our account Crown & Anchor if they gave us an upgrade?

- In case of a upgrade (for example) from balcony to JS we earned double points or not?

- It is possible that the upgrade is given to those who wait until the last moment before completing the online check-in?

Thank you for you answers.

Ciao from Switzerland

Elena

Edited by Sole

Hi everyone,

I read here of people who have had an upgrade with Royal and I'm glad ... between all of my friends or people I know through forums no one has ever had an upgrade and I was beginning to believe that with RCCL really rarely happen!

I remain, however, a couple of things that I did not understand:

- it is possible that the upgrade arrivals even after the final payment? Yes.

- We can see on our account Crown & Anchor if they gave us an upgrade? Yes, there will be a change in stateroom number.

- In case of a upgrade (for example) from balcony to JS we earned double points or not? No extra points. You only get points based on the category you paid for.

- It is possible that the upgrade is given to those who wait until the last moment before completing the online check-in? I don't think they care about if/when check-in was completed.

Thank you for you answers.

Ciao from Switzerland

Elena

Answers in RED above. Ciao.:)

Edited by clarea

34 cruises with RC and it's happened twice. First time we were called about 3 weeks before cruise and asked if we would like to go to a JS. (Are you kidding?:D) Second time, about 3-4 days before cruise on Monarch, someone on the roll call mentioned how excited they were about getting upgraded so husband jokingly suggested I should check reservation and, sure enough, we had been upgraded to JS.

Sherri:)

I've had it happen a week before a couple of times and as short of notice is the day of. The last one I they called 4 days before and then was switched again when I checked in at the port this included my bags going to the wrong room because it was that short of notice. I'm not sure there is a standard time frame but I have always received a phone call from them to let me know the difference in tip amount as for the most part it was a standard balcony going to a suite of some kind.

We've never been given an upgrade although we are only platinum. We had an upsell (NCL) a long time ago from an aft mini to a forward facing penthouse. Holy balcony Batman! You could fit 35 people on it!

We booked a grand suite for our cruise in 2016 (too far away!) and am wondering if the possibility of an upgrade to an OS is worth it? I mean the grand suite has a bigger balony. What's your thoughts??

We have been upgraded three times, each time I found out about it at the pier... I always book insides, and have been upgraded to Superior Ocean View, Promenade room and a midships Balcony.... :)

The only problem with that is, my luggage is marked for my original room and it takes a long time to get it moved to the upgraded room...

Edited by emdia43

We've never been given an upgrade although we are only platinum. We had an upsell (NCL) a long time ago from an aft mini to a forward facing penthouse. Holy balcony Batman! You could fit 35 people on it!

We booked a grand suite for our cruise in 2016 (too far away!) and am wondering if the possibility of an upgrade to an OS is worth it? I mean the grand suite has a bigger balony. What's your thoughts??

We love everything about the GS, so have no desire to upgrade to OS. Did you also notice that the OS has only queen bed, while the GS has a king - that's one reason we'll stick, plus we've never been able to fill all the closets & drawers, and the bathroom is huge!

All that being said, if they offered a free upgrade, sure we'd try it!

We were upgraded twice (2 sailings in a row, both on the EN)

We were not notified either time. First time a rep was calling to wish us a bon voyage and I asked him if he was calling about an upgrade and he said he thought we already knew that we had been upgraded (we did not)

Both times were about a week or so before sailing.

To those if you fortunate enough to have been visited by the upgrade fairy, how long before sailing did you find out about your upgrade? How did you find out? I am Looking for true, surprise upgrades of people who booked assigned staterooms, not Guarantees. Thanks!

I've never been visited by this so called Upgrade Fairy! I have been contacted a few times by her ugly cousin the Upsell Fairy! :D

We just got upgraded on our cruise that leaves Friday!! My sister and husband are on the same cruise and were upgraded as well and we are still next door to each other!!

Do you still get double points if you are upgraded?

Is it possible to get an upgrade if you booked through a travel agent or are upgrades typically given to people who booked directly through Royal Caribbean?

Yes, it's possible to get an ungrade when booked with a TA. We've had two upgrades, both TA bookings.