Allure Review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5/11 Sailing

NIGHT 7 150 CENTRAL PARK:

We decided to dine here last minute made reservations the evening before, night 6 and had no problem getting our 7:00 dinner.

This restaurant is elegantly decorated and truly showed class. There were nice flower centerpieces on the tables and the table was set perfectly. This restaurant is a tasting restaurant, which means, you eat what the chef makes. They do accommodate for special diets, such as my needing to be gluten and dairy free but honestly, when I received my dishes which were not on the menu the waiter made me feel inferior because he described everybody else's dishes but not mine and when he handed me the pasta dish which was just plain pasta with a little bit of sauce he placed it down on the table and had a chuckle to himself. I ignored this but it did take away the experience.

At first he gave me the soup which contained cream so I reminded him I had to be dairy free, he took it away immediately and came back with a tomato based lentil soup, it was good but nothing special.

We all got the four type carrots for appetizer, it was very good and fresh, but I expected a bit more for an appetizer it was a bit disappointing but on another note, knowing everything came from a fresh organic farm from florida it was nice to know.

Next came the ahi tuna for everybody which they all loved, my daughter and I do not eat seafood we were given this chicken appetizer it was gamey but ok.

We were given a beef tenderloin small one about 4 ounces with a bernaise sauce which should of been placed on the side as it took away the taste of the steak. My thinking is a good steak does not need any sauces to disguise the taste but that is how I feel everybody is different. The other half was short rib which was mushed up, minced like and it was served on a three inch piece of cracker like flatbread (they kept this out on mine knowing I could not have the gluten), honestly three of us enjoyed it and four of us including myself just said it was eh. They also served it with mashed potatoes which was left off my dish as it contained dairy.

Dessert was this chocolate tart which everybody said was too rich, perhaps if we didn't go here the last evening everybody would think differently, the 7th dinner your just about tired of food lol. One of my family members rated this excellent, 4 rated it very good and two of us including myself rated it good. Service was remarkable.

Perhaps we would rate it higher if weren't tired of food who knows.

Edited by lyndamr

OTHER FOOD ON THE SHIP:

RITA'S CANTINA:

We are here for lunch one afternoon. We had the chips and asked for habanaro sauce along with salsa and guacamole as an appetizer. The chips were tri colored very crispy and fresh. The guacamole was very good as so was the salsa and habanaro sauce dip.

We found the food to lack taste, such as the tacos, both the beef and chicken were good but lacked flavor/taste. The shells were crispy and good. I think we all had different things and tried a taste of one anthers to find it just to be good, nothing special but made a decent lunch. We would go here again, now on other people's reviews many stated they didn't care for this place which I agree but for lunch its fine and it gave us a different atmosphere while eating.

HOT DOG CART:

My other half, daughter and myself do not eat hot dogs but we looked at them and noticed there were different types of hot dogs to choose from, we decided to give the hot dog a try and all of us found ourselves wanting a hot dog snack every afternoon. lol

CAFE PROMENADE:

This is a place that you can get food from early am to 3am. We found ourselves coming here for snacks throughout the day and night. Our favorite was the salami sandwiches, they also had ham and cheese, tuna, mozzarella foccacia, as well as other little sandwiches which changed daily. Sandwiches were made on nice fresh rolls, croissants and other breads. This is the place to also get muffins, cookies, granola bars which my sister in law raved about as well as other goodies. You can get coffee and tea here, its a great place to have a snack any time of the day and night and it always was fresh.

PARC CAFE:

We only had breakfast here once as I explained in an earlier post, but we never went here for lunch.

SOLARIUM CAFE:

We had one breakfast here which did not appeal to me as it lacked things for me to eat since I have to be both gluten and dairy free and we didn't go back after that first breakfast, but they suppose to have sandwiches and such for lunch here.

SORRENTO'S PIZZA:

This pizza compared to Carnivals is very good. They also had gluten free pizza and you can either choose slices that were already made or order made to order pizza's. It was open all day till about 3am or so and it is a great place to get a snack!

WINDJAMMER CAFE LUNCH:

I love coming here for lunch because it offers something for everybody. Each day they had one meat carving, they had vegetables that I can eat without sauces and gravies in them, they had rice, fried rice, stir fry, salad bar, meat dishes, fish dish, burgers, hot dogs, fries, soups, just about anything anybody wanted. Its a place with a huge selection and assortment and food was always very fresh and very good here. There are desserts but it lacked gluten free desserts but a waitress heard me saying to my other half there are no gluten free desserts for me she came back with these ultimate wonderful delicious gluten free cookies that I must buy here!!!!

I checked out the dinner one evening when we were waiting for our table for Izumi and it was very decent. There were meat/chicken/fish dishes, meat carving, vegetables, potatoes/rice, salad bar and multiple other dishes to choose from. After dining at Chops and Samba Grill I was disappointed I didn't try eating here at least one night for dinner.

ICE CREAM MACHINE:

It is located outside and everybody was eating ice cream around the pool, we did not try it so I am unable to comment but I am sure it was very good.

Really enjoying reading your review.

You can tell you took alot of time putting this together, and it is a job well done.

We also have a voucher for one from dinner at chops, and I guess we will be using it on a port day. We will make it our first stop when we enter the ship upon boarding.

Thanks for the postings

Eagerly awaiting our cruise.

Sea Ya

Your all welcome I have more to come ;)

Lioness are you positive you only can use it for Chops? Do you actually have a voucher in your hand that states to use only at Chops or will it be on your onboard account? Call the place where you received it and see if it is transferable to other specialty restaurants.

If its only for Chops do use it don't waste it, if you were planning on going to Chops even not having that coupon perhaps you want to spend the $18-$22 to get one of those uncharged steaks that I am positive would be better! I don't know why any of us didn't up charge our steak guess we figured the quality would be good from the regular menu. Definitely use it, I am assuming that Chops still is better than the main dining room but unfortunately we made the mistake on this one cruise not trying the main dining room so I really can't compare the two places.

If your able to use it at another place, my suggestion is use it for Giovanni's.

;)

Lioness are you positive you only can use it for Chops? Do you actually have a voucher in your hand that states to use only at Chops or will it be on your onboard account? Call the place where you received it and see if it is transferable to other specialty restaurants.

If its only for Chops do use it don't waste it, if you were planning on going to Chops even not having that coupon perhaps you want to spend the $18-$22 to get one of those uncharged steaks that I am positive would be better! I don't know why any of us didn't up charge our steak guess we figured the quality would be good from the regular menu. Definitely use it, I am assuming that Chops still is better than the main dining room but unfortunately we made the mistake on this one cruise not trying the main dining room so I really can't compare the two places.

If your able to use it at another place, my suggestion is use it for Giovanni's.

I live with a finicky eater..........my DH, but gotta love him, he is the best:D

He is truly a no FOO FOO, meat and potatoes kinda guy, and he wants CHOPS........thats ok with me............ (I got the Suite, and he gets the free meal get it:eek:)

No really, he read some bad reviews on some of the other restuarants and is not willing to try them, if its Chops he wants its ok with me.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

I feel like talking now about SPA!!

I haven't used the spa in the past 4 RC cruises I been on, mainly because I feel they didn't live up to the quality I get at home when I do go here at home. I also don't want to be hassled and stressed when they tried to sell me items as they did do in the past.

My sister in law was determined to get a couple of spa treatments a seaweed treatment and a swedish massage, she easily talked me into getting a treatment also. On boarding day, we ate lunch at the windjammer, went to our cabin which was ready at 1:30 and checked out our cabin then we walked around the ship to look around. Upon doing this, we ended up at the spa so she and I go inside and ask about the services and charges. Needless to say, I booked up a deep tissue massage (I live with fibromyalgia, anoloking spondolosis and other bad medical ailments so I figured since I live with constant multiple muscle pains that the deep massage be great for me, surely I know it hurt soooo much, but thats normal but after a day I feel much better) and I also booked up reflexology since I have foot pain and planter facitis.

The deep tissue massage was something like $179 and the reflexology was around $70. We booked up our treatments for the day in port of Nassau as we were given a discount (I believe it was 20%-30% off) knowing we weren't getting off at Nassau do to the fact we are only there from 7am to 2pm (I am not an early riser as I do stay up until 2-3am each night).

I failed to mention that I wanted a man instead of a woman only because my past experiences with woman have been they do not know how to get into those trigger points strong, so in my head I was saying ok another not good massage but what is done is done and if I got a woman one last try.

They didn't have many appointments left as people do book these up prior to the cruise but I was lucky to get a perfect appointment of 11am. I must say I had a woman from the Phillipines and she was so strong I had to tell her twice to go lighter on me, she really really knew how to get into those trigger points for me!! She told me that a swedish massage would be best for me and she adjusted to a combination of both, deep tissue but lighter towards a swedish massage, it was PERFECT! Yes, I had pain but its a good pain because it loosens up my muscles and in return after a few hours up to a day it gives me relief. The reflexology treatment on my feet I would not hesitate in getting again, I would want that every time I go on a cruise. My feet did not hurt me a bit on the entire cruise (I carry a portable tens unit to use its an electrician stimulation machine that helps with my muscle pains) and I did not have to use that machine, it worked!

My sister in law loved her treatments. They add on 18% onto your bill now guess the staff been stiffed tips so the tip is actually inside your total cost of the treatment and of course is billed to your onboard account. The treatments are a bit more costly than what we both pay at home but everything on any trip costs more. She did try to sell me two products, but a simple no thank you was all that I had to say.

I didn't get a pedicure or manicure as I did my own nails on this trip as I like to change colors to go with the colors I wear in the evenings, but next time I am going to get that two week no chip manicure. I feel the price which was around $35 was worth that....next time.

For those who want to get spa treatments ask for the discounts when you are in port.

At the spa there was an area called the vitality cafe where they served some fruit, yogurt and such along with fruit smoothies.

Ladies if your getting your massages here, bring something to put your hair up, but they do massage your scalp also which means the oil gets in your hair from their hands. Don't make the mistake of washing and drying your hair before you go because after the treatment my hair was so ugly with the oil I had to rewash and blow dry it again.

Another tip...the massage tables are heated, for me heat is not good for my type of pains, I simply asked her to shut the heat off.

I have sailed in both a Central Park Balcony and Boardwalk Balcony. I did prefer the Boardwalk since I could watch the aqua show and see the water. The noise never bothered me as when the doors are closed they are pretty sound proof. Just my opinion.

I have never sailed on the Allure. My first thought was it was too big. I did a ship tour a few years ago. I was not paying a lot of attention that day. I had other things on my mind. Perhaps that's why I never felt the urge to sail on her. But my kids are all teenagers now so they might enjoy everything the ship has to offer.

Thanks for the Review

Lionesss then you must go to Chops. I would think it would still be better than food in the main dining room, you enjoy!

JJking we also thought she is too big, we so love the Freedom Class but family wanted to try it and we figured ok, lets try it once, we are hooked, this is the best ship ever!

I am really enjoying your detailed review and cannot wait to be on the Allure in October. I have a question about your pasta at 150 central park. You said you liked it but I have not found any gluten free pasta to be tasty. Was it really good? I do not have to be gluten free but I like to try many gluten free recipes. One of my cruising companions will be happy to hear she can get gluten free hot dog buns and sandwich rolls. She has to miss out on so much that I can enjoy.

Edited by dacsmom

Did you have to go through any customs in st Thomas since your previous port was Nassau? I remember years back having to do customs on the voyager the morning of st Thomas because we went to Nassau and it took awhile as the line snaked thru the dining room and we missed our ship excursion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did you have to go through any customs in st Thomas since your previous port was Nassau? I remember years back having to do customs on the voyager the morning of st Thomas because we went to Nassau and it took awhile as the line snaked thru the dining room and we missed our ship excursion.

I remember that, but the last time we did that was around 7 years ago.

Dacsmom hello:

You are very correct about the gluten free pasta not being tasty and good but I live in Florida and we have a grocery store called Publix here and there is a brand that I tell you taste just like the regular pasta, its very very good in fact my other half prefers that brand/gluten free pasta than the regular brand pastas, I don't recall exactly the name of it I get you the name of the pasta later when I go downstairs you be shocked its very good.

Udi's makes a fabulous gluten free cookie, I had it on the ship, they have it in the windjammer but you need to ask for it, happened to be a staff member overheard me talking to my other half about not having gluten free desserts and she came by with three of these packs.

http://udisglutenfree.com/product-category/cookies-brownies/

In my grocery store they also sell soft baked snicker doodle cookies that are made by a company called enjoy life, these are not as good as the udi's but they are close and they don't have that grainy texture either.

The pasta that was served as one of the dishes at 150 Central Park was a decent brand, not like the one I get here at home. I am not sure whether they have gluten free hot dog and burger rolls, I never asked I just ate the hot dog plain at the hot dog cart.

Three specialty restaurants gave me mixed berries which was very good for dessert although I have to admit other cruise lines including Carnival made me real desserts such as flour less chocolate cake and a gluten free cheesecake, gluten free key lime pie, etc....I did not get any good desserts on this ship. I found it very easy in the windjammer to not have any problems finding food that is both gluten and dairy free for myself.

I am glad to hear your trying to be gluten free, I sometimes wonder people such as myself are affected by gluten, what happens to those in time that don't react like I do what else can happen, and doing all the research I have done regarding this gluten issue and what they doing to our crops and all, its best to try to be gluten free, a lot healthier!

Vettecruiser1- No you do not have to do that at all. The ship goes through customs when it returns prior to disembarkation. You just need a passport, some cruise lines allow birth certificates with the raised seal depending upon where the ship was going. Its all simple, for those who are non citizens, when you disembark and go through customs they have a different line for you to go on which I have to say is a lot shorter and faster.

Edited by lyndamr

Thank you for this great detailed review. I really appreciate the time you are putting in about the dining options. We will be eating in the MDR all nights but one due to my kids nut allergies. We also get a free specialty dinner 1 night from our TA. It was going to be chops or samba. Looks like chops now. I always hear negatives about windjammer but i loved it on Freedom and glad i am hearing good comments now as well.

I am also glad you really enjoyed central park. We have connecting central park balcony rooms. Last cruise we had insides so we are moving up slowly. :)

Barb

lyndamr - Thanks for taking the time for a very detailed review - there was a lot of useful info! I found myself agreeing with many of your observtions!! We'll probably try allure again after it's next refurb. Ken

Hi Ken,

I have more, my medical problems kicked in so I have't been on here the past couple of days, but I try to write more tomorrow.

We are considering either Alaska next year but also Oasis as she goes into dry dock this sept/oct she be all cleaned up. :) I am not sure whether the cold weather be good for my medical conditions.

Hi Ken,

I have more, my medical problems kicked in so I have't been on here the past couple of days, but I try to write more tomorrow.

We are considering either Alaska next year but also Oasis as she goes into dry dock this sept/oct she be all cleaned up. :) I am not sure whether the cold weather be good for my medical conditions.

Alaska is very relaxed and very scenic. Consider a Anchorage to Vancouver itinerary (or reverse) with a few pre or post days in Vancouver - we did three days there at the Fairmont Waterfront and used the Hop-On-Hop-Off Trolley for transportation. We did August and the only COLD was in the Glacier Bay Day (and it was COLD). It's a LONG day flying from (Tampa in our case) Florida to Vancouver and to Anchorage!!!

Again, thanks for taking the time for the review!

Ken

Edited by Ken076

Hi

I want to thank you for your review. I just finished reading and it's been awesome. I've read a couple of other reviews and all recommend chops. We have a choice of any speciality dinner voucher and everyone has told me to do chops. I've been debating on which one to choose from since this is the first review that's negative. Idk if maybe it was from the lack of options being gluten free or if it was just a bad week, or days.

I'm looking forward to the sailing !!!! Can't wait

Thanks again 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BillOh lets just say I am 51 and the Allure was my 53rd cruise, but taking the past four years and the cruises I have taken during this time period, yes, crew parties are common, usually just one per cruise. The crew needs to have some fun and air out, this happens on every cruise line, I just don't know exactly how often it happens but on Princess they have one a week and Carnival they have one every other week, I am not sure of the crew party schedule on RC.

Usually crew parties are done below in their area where they have their own bar, pool tables, game tables and entertainment area it really does't happen often on the passenger decks, although in April we went on a Carnival cruise and the rear lounge was blocked off one evening due to that ship having a crew party, now on the Allure they had the crew party in the boardwalk area one evening. It is a fact they do have these parties.

A crew member once told me that they always have members of the crew at the end of their term and deporting every week-end, so they have a farewell party every week-end at the crews bar. She said that if you knew the person you would go, if you didn't you wouldn't attend.

We are a very outgoing friendly group who love to chat and interface with the staff.......bartenders, waiters and such. This information is not just given out to passengers on cruises but speaking to the staff the way we do, and from a few times seeing passenger areas blocked off which made us ask what was going on and was told crew party, this is how we get this information.

I been on a number of RC cruises probably 6 in the past 3 years plus other cruise lines too during this time.

Most passengers don't interact with the crew and ask questions...we ask about their hometowns, families at home, how long they been working for the cruise line, etc, we get some great information and learn new things about other countries and such just by talking to them. They love it when we show interest in their lives, they are not just staff to us but people only difference is they are working and we are not./QUOTE]

We're the same way - have made many friends on the ships talking to crew members. I see pics of their kids and have many email addresses. A lot of crew members are going months without seeing their young children so that they can make a better life for them - I have an enormous amount of respect for what they do.

We do not care for the Embassy Suites there at the port, we don't care for the "cat walks" and the rooms were not as nice as the Hilton Marina. The Hilton Marina was on the inter coastal where we found ourselves walking all around the hotel in the afternoon taking photos of the huge yachts docked right there. She also has a nice poolside/intercoastal outdoor bar with many tables and chairs and had live music in the evening there and it was very nice sitting out there late evening talking together. My sister in law took in some sun on a very nice lounge chair at the beautiful large pool which had a lot of foliage of beautiful palm trees and flowering scrubs.

Wow, I totally agree with everything you just said here! We thought the Hilton Marina was way better than the ES any day. We also love the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort albeit a bit further away from the ships, it's just a great hotel.

Love your review, especially the food part. Thanks for taking the time to write it. : )

Dsara- I have to recommend Giovanni's because it was better over Chops, but you still can get a beef tenderloin which I had in both places and I feel it was the very same cut of meat. You can't go wrong with either one, I am sure both are better than the main dining room.

CruisinKim And you know whats nice, when we speak to the staff about their family and homelands, they really light up and want to talk about it. I think it makes them feel good and I enjoy listening.

Esmeralda- Well, I have to say I did live in the Ft. Lauderdale area for 25 years and know it very well lol. I think the ES is definitely overrated, and even though the cat walks are interior they really make me feel as if I am in an old motel room. I also feel many cruise passengers stay at the ES which could be congested in the am in the lobby, grabbing a cab to the ship, etc. The Hilton Marina was nice at night they had live music outdoor at the pool and pool bar and it was a very nice tranquil place to sit surrounded by the inter coastal and the yachts.

The Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort is my favorite, but a little further from the cruise ship and it also is more costly, to me not a place to just spend one night, you would want to stay a few nights here.

You all are very welcome, if you have any questions feel free to ask me anytime.

Edited by lyndamr