Puzzled about Tipping dining room?

ibcruiseing

It doesn't go to "some other" server, tips are shared between your Wait Team cause, like, you know, they are a Team...

I've had serving "teams" where one was absolutely wonderful and the others were not. But I still have to tip them? I can't just single out the one who did a better job?

At the end of a cruise we routinely give the head waiter an extra tip that is to be shared by the entire dinner team (usually $5 per person per evening in addition to auto tips). This does not include the bar wait staff, this person we usually add something to his/her invoice through the week as the invoice is given to us to sign. The head waiter distributes the extra money between his team according to their position within that team. This is also how it works with the cabin stewards and their assistants.

If some table guest have removed auto Grats or other guests the same team serves has removed auto Grats then "all additional tips" are pooled until auto grat amount has been reached for the entire ship!

If auto Grats are reached the extra money is distributed to each staff member who received the extra. and that extra is officially documented by team leaders.

If auto Grats are not reached any extra given just stays in the pool to be distributed by an auto Grat %.

This is a fair system as although extra tippers may well be compensating the stiffers it would be unfair that some staff and teams receive less than others just because some people decide not to tip at all!

The service expected by the company from waitstaff is excellent so Auto Grat stiffers are rewarding excellence with penalising all staff!

This is why the cruise lines introduced Auto Grats, to make it fair to all staff.

Over exceptional individual staff and teams are rewarded by the cruiseline on comments and scores left by customers.

With YTD MYD ATD many cruise lines have non removable Auto Grats that must be added at time of booking for the same fair distribution reasons,same as the Grats are added in the price of speciality dinning!

It is a "code of conduct" issue if extra tips are not declared because the company needs to achieve maximum Auto grats for correct fair distribution!

Auto Grats are Grats Auto tips are Tips cash tips are Tips, all one and the same thing to staff and cruiseline.:)

If some table guest have removed auto Grats or other guests the same team serves has removed auto Grats then "all additional tips" are pooled until auto grat amount has been reached for the entire ship!

If auto Grats are reached the extra money is distributed to each staff member who received the extra. and that extra is officially documented by team leaders.

If auto Grats are not reached any extra given just stays in the pool to be distributed by an auto Grat %.

This is a fair system as although extra tippers may well be compensating the stiffers it would be unfair that some staff and teams receive less than others just because some people decide not to tip at all!

The service expected by the company from waitstaff is excellent so Auto Grat stiffers are rewarding excellence with penalising all staff!

This is why the cruise lines introduced Auto Grats, to make it fair to all staff.

Over exceptional individual staff and teams are rewarded by the cruiseline on comments and scores left by customers.

With YTD MYD ATD many cruise lines have non removable Auto Grats that must be added at time of booking for the same fair distribution reasons,same as the Grats are added in the price of speciality dinning!

It is a "code of conduct" issue if extra tips are not declared because the company needs to achieve maximum Auto grats for correct fair distribution!

Auto Grats are Grats Auto tips are Tips cash tips are Tips, all one and the same thing to staff and cruiseline.:)

I don't really understand the positions/responsibilities in the dining room, but we had 3 servers (is that right?). One was the "main" server (took our order and served the meal), one took our drink order and served it and I'm not real sure what the other did, but he seemed to mostly clear the table.

We left the auto-tips in place, even though I was a little disappointed in the drink server. Every night I had to remind him what I wanted to drink (it wasn't hard, I just had tea), and most nights I had to ask a second (and once a third) time to get my tea. Now, the main server was very good, very attentive and he actually wound up being the one who brought my drink when I had to ask the third time.

Are you saying that I it doesn't make any difference that I tipped the main server that last night a little extra? Because he just had to turn it in to be divided by percentages by the whole team?

That just doesn't seem right. The good servers are carrying the bad ones and they all get the benefit.

do you have a source for this information? I find it hard to believe that if I am at table 4 and my waiter is 'Joe' and I give 'Joe' an extra $20, it will find its way to 'slow mike' who was the waiter at table 27 and his tips were pulled because he sucked.

do you have a source for this information? I find it hard to believe that if I am at table 4 and my waiter is 'Joe' and I give 'Joe' an extra $20, it will find its way to 'slow mike' who was the waiter at table 27 and his tips were pulled because he sucked.

Slow mikes tips need to be officially "Pulled" at Guest services and slow mike would be deducted that % from his auto tip %!

Giving slow Mike or super efficient Joe cash makes no difference if the ships Gratuity amount is not met for that cruise!

Ask JH to explain it without the run around wording;)

I don't really understand the positions/responsibilities in the dining room, but we had 3 servers (is that right?). One was the "main" server (took our order and served the meal), one took our drink order and served it and I'm not real sure what the other did, but he seemed to mostly clear the table.

We left the auto-tips in place, even though I was a little disappointed in the drink server. Every night I had to remind him what I wanted to drink (it wasn't hard, I just had tea), and most nights I had to ask a second (and once a third) time to get my tea. Now, the main server was very good, very attentive and he actually wound up being the one who brought my drink when I had to ask the third time.

Are you saying that I it doesn't make any difference that I tipped the main server that last night a little extra? Because he just had to turn it in to be divided by percentages by the whole team?

That just doesn't seem right. The good servers are carrying the bad ones and they all get the benefit.

No but your server does not just serve just "you"! There are no bad servers if all bad servers are reported as such.

Ships gratuities must be met first and then the extra you gave to your waiter would be returned to waiter.

This is why removing ships Gratuities to pay in cash only is fruitless re gratuity pool staff onboard.

Has anyone been able to confirm if this is also true with ATD/YTD as well as assigned dining times? If not, do you think the same is true?

Not sure with Carnival YTD as I only do traditional so if you have to pay grats at booking stage then yes.

If not the imbalance would be that YTD waiters would be privileged to receive their 100% due share of auto Grats plus the extra cash tips while Trad dinning staff would cop all the Grat stiffers and end up with less for the same job.

YTD and Trad dinning staff work together at Breakfast Brunch/Lunch and in the Buffets so there is no separation between them for Dinner re tip advantage/disadvantage:)

Just completed a great cruise handed the head waiter a extra tip in an envelope, also gave the 2 assistant waiters envelopes watched them walk over and give them to the head waiter. My question is are they not allowed to receive tips or are they required to give them to the team leader?

I heard they have to share if the tipping is known-I just slip them the money in an non-obvious way. I do not say anything and it is totally understood on both sides.

Not sure why some are making up this shared tips lie. Tips designated for your dining room and steward staff go 100% to those individuals. That's $5.80 daily per person to the dinning team, and $3.70 daily per person to your steward. Augmenting or simply paying cash also goes 100% to said individuals.

Again, tipping is intended to reward individuals that are assigned to you, and have direct contact with.

I heard they have to share if the tipping is known-I just slip them the money in an non-obvious way. I do not say anything and it is totally understood on both sides.

We always leave our daily gratuities alone..and dh always tips in the dining room...especially if we've gotten some really great service...and he does it multiple times during the cruise....but you would never notice he is doing it:D...he can also buy something at an auction while I'm standing next to him and I only know he's bought it when we go to pay:eek: I think perhaps we will ask or I will ask this upcoming cruise if we get a waiter who has a second to talk...they work soooo hard nowadays!

Do you really think they would break the rules and risk being fired because you were non-obvious?

This is where I just dont agree . I am not responsible nor can I do anything about "stiffers" . If I had good service and wish to tip someone extra its because they gave me good service , not to help make up for other passengers who choose not to tip for whatever reason . Dont tell me how my money should be spent !

Not sure why some are making up this shared tips lie. Tips designated for your dining room and steward staff go 100% to those individuals. That's $5.80 daily per person to the dinning team, and $3.70 daily per person to your steward. Augmenting or simply paying cash also goes 100% to said individuals.

Again, tipping is intended to reward individuals that are assigned to you, and have direct contact with.

Your completely missing the point of this post . Auto tips were not even part of the original discussion . The OP was curious about the extra money they gave directly to the staff and why they turned it over to the head waiter .

And John may have addressed it "many" times before but I bet all the answers were kinda sorta maybe dancing just like the one posted in an earlier quote .

Im just as curious as the OP if the EXTRA tip I handed to a staff member isgoing to THAT staff member ?

Edited by JustFloatN

Not sure with Carnival YTD as I only do traditional so if you have to pay grats at booking stage then

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

I'm confused. You don't have to pay for gratuities at booking for traditional dining. It is optional to pay auto gratuities ahead of time for either dining. Where are you getting all this info? Source please.

Your completely missing the point of this post . Auto tips were not even part of the original discussion . The OP was curious about the extra money they gave directly to the staff and why they turned it over to the head waiter .

And John may have addressed it "many" times before but I bet all the answers were kinda sorta maybe dancing just like the one posted in an earlier quote .

Im just as curious as the OP if the EXTRA tip I handed to a staff member isgoing to THAT staff member ?

No I'm not. I'm correcting misinformation.

No I'm not. I'm correcting misinformation.

There is not one post in this thread that has "lied" about how auto tips are divided . Only extra cash tips have been mentioned which the majority seem to say is divided up also .

There is not one post in this thread that has "lied" about how auto tips are divided . Only extra cash tips have been mentioned which the majority seem to say is divided up also .

And again, regardless if you pay the recommended amounts, above, below, in cash, pre, or through auto tip, your wait staff get 100% of their gratuity.

What someone does with that afterward is their own terms.

Years ago, you used to tip your 2 man wait team separately, at two different rates. Eventually they combined the two, and when auto tips started, that amount was combined. They have since added a third "runner". How that gets divided making that team is up to them. I'm sure it is prorated by some standard.

Edited by TPFKAH

‎John Heald

3 hrs ·

John, I have a question, Just got off the Freedom and what a great time was had by all.

service was outstanding and in addition to the tips on the sign and sail we elected to tip extra. we did envelopes that we handed them to all 3 of the wait staff, we were very surprised as we watched the assistant waiters walked over and gave the tips to the head waiter.

Are they not allowed to keep extra tips that they are given?

look forward to your reply.

Like ·

Johns reply on facebook

John Heald He is in charge of the team of 3 Valerie and I think he will be responsible for sharing the gratuities accordingly. But please don't worry as everyone you wanted to take care of will be and how very kind you are for doing so. I am so glad you had fun and I hope we see you again soon. cheers

3 hrs · Like

His reply is pathetic. I could paraphrase it as "Don't you worry your little head about the distribution. Head office takes the cash and distributes it as they see fit."

It's another very good reason not to bother trying to tip extra in cash.

We always tip extra and give individual envelopes to each waiter. I was hoping after reading the OP's experience that the head waiter would distribute the extra gratuity as the giver intended, but from John's response I'm not so confident that will happen. I guess the head waiter determines what they deserve.

After JH comment on tipping in the MDR, makes me wonder about pre-paid tips also. Sounding better to tip in cash to persons who gave you good service.

Apparently, it makes no difference. They have to turn over the case tips they receive to be pooled.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

I'm confused. You don't have to pay for gratuities at booking for traditional dining. It is optional to pay auto gratuities ahead of time for either dining. Where are you getting all this info? Source please.

I dont just cruise Carnival you know:rolleyes:

RCI for one charges up front non refundable Grats for YTD/MTD and not for Traditional dinning with which you have the choice of daily auto grats or removal for cash!

I dont do YTD/MTD on carnival so I dont know if you pay up front for YTD/MTD and that is what I said:rolleyes:

My information comes from experience but if you doubt it then dont believe it and also dont believe the OP,s waiters handed in their extra cash envelopes as there would be absolutely no reason to do so!

And again, regardless if you pay the recommended amounts, above, below, in cash, pre, or through auto tip, your wait staff get 100% of their gratuity.

What someone does with that afterward is their own terms.

Years ago, you used to tip your 2 man wait team separately, at two different rates. Eventually they combined the two, and when auto tips started, that amount was combined. They have since added a third "runner". How that gets divided making that team is up to them. I'm sure it is prorated by some standard.[/quote

How do they get 100% gratuity if some customers have removed some or even all gratuity?

If removal is not done with reason at guest services ie waiter was useless on Friday then how does carnival know who to penalize? maybe the entire team and the room Steward as well or carnival just makes up the shortfall in staff Gratuity? Dont think so!:)

Some cruiselines like RCI now have compulsory non refundable pre paid grats for YTD/MTD because it was the easiest option for Grat stiffers to do. Now there are always places available with YTD and traditional is mostly on wait list! The big switch in dinning preference back to traditional only came after the compulsory pre paids were put in place for YTD.

Cash tips are redistributed after Gratuity amount for that cruise is met and its a fair system where all staff in the Gratuity pool get their correct % and then + if it was given:)

If not why do they even bother charging auto grats? may as well let people pay what they want in tips like on land and be done with it!

Edited by fishtaco