Waterproof lanyard.....Yea or Nay?

Monarch523

Has anyone used one of those waterproof lanyards? Do you feel there was a legitimate need for it? Was it handy? Was it annoying? Did it get in the way? Did you end up taking it off more than wearing it? Wondering if its really worth the $$.

Do you have someone to give it to when you go swimming? If so, then I suggest you take it off and hand it to them. Otherwise, if you are just looking for info about lanyards in general, here is a link to a 12 page thread already running in another forum.

Basically: do what you want. :) Try it both ways and see what works best for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1912162 <--click here, huge lanyard thread

Do you have someone to give it to when you go swimming? If so, then I suggest you take it off and hand it to them. Otherwise, if you are just looking for info about lanyards in general, here is a link to a 12 page thread already running in another forum.

Basically: do what you want. :) Try it both ways and see what works best for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1912162 <--click here, huge lanyard thread

LOL Hey thanks for pointing me in the right direction!! Now I can discuss in further detail how much I might prefer looking like a nerd than losing my stuff without judgement :D

LOL Hey thanks for pointing me in the right direction!! Now I can discuss in further detail how much I might prefer looking like a nerd than losing my stuff without judgement :D

Awww! LOL! Trust me, on our last cruise passengers of all ages were wearing lanyards. You will not be alone, nor will you be judged.

Have fun. :)

Never need a lanyard at all! Hubby carries his key in his pocket....I stick mine in a small (and I mean small) purse...if we're at the pool, it all goes in our tote while we're actually IN the pool. It doesn't have to be on your person all the time!

...what is there about a lanyard which might possibly not be waterproof?...

The only ones I can think that might be compromised if wet are the sparkly ones - sequins and glitter, as opposed to straight cord or some other type of material. Personally I don't wear a lanyard but as I said (and the other 12 page thread shows!), many people do.

Wearing, or not wearing, a lanyard is a question which has never occurred to me to ask. But this thread has piqued my interest: what is there about a lanyard which might possibly not be waterproof?

I must be missing something - please advise.

Well since you asked...I was worried about getting my money wet (or lost) and possibly my one credit card. I am going alone with my two young children so I am trying to think ahead. I found one that was "waterproof" and wondered what was the big hub bub and did it really work.

Well since you asked...I was worried about getting my money wet (or lost) and possibly my one credit card. I am going alone with my two young children so I am trying to think ahead. I found one that was "waterproof" and wondered what was the big hub bub and did it really work.

I think you mean a lanyard with a waterproof case, similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Travel-Waterproof-Credit-Lanyard/dp/B001DKAX2G

How well it works depends on how good the seal is. Most cruise ships sell them in their gift shops. You might even find them in certain sporting goods stores in your area. The only time I've worn one in the water is when we went on a river tubing excursion. It worked great for me. It kept its' contents dry just like it was supposed to.

Edited by beachbum53

I think you mean a lanyard with a waterproof case, similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Travel-Waterproof-Credit-Lanyard/dp/B001DKAX2G

How well it works depends on how good the seal is. Most cruise ships sell them in their gift shops. You might even find them in certain sporting goods stores in your area. The only time I've worn one in the water is when we went on a river tubing excursion. It worked great for me. It kept its' contents dry just like it was supposed to.

Thanks - I didn't realize a lanyard with a case was also just called a lanyard.

We found our water wallet at Dicks ,they are near the camping section.

It is the same one we used for the past 10 years that we loved, but, finally showed its age.

It is plastic (no kidding) with yellow seaming and ties.

Worked well holding money, sea passes, and drivers license in DH pocket while we are in the water.

Sea Ya

Try looking for "water wallets" instead of lanyard if you are looking for a case that will hold money, SeaPass card, credit cards, id, etc. They sell them onboard and at most sporting good stores.

Actually, a water wallet is different than a lanyard with a waterproof case. If you go on Google and look them up, you'll see the difference.