Will there ever be ships larger than Oasis Class?

On the central park walking tour (fantastic) on our recent Allure cruise, the horticulturalist who's responsible for the maintenance of Central Park on both Oasis and Allure said they'll never build a larger ship.

What does he know, you ask? Fair question. But he was extremely knowledgeable about the Oasis ships and even told us about Oasis 4 about 4 days prior to the official announcement. He plans the central parks which are the most technically-challenging parts of Oasis class. He also strongly hinted at Oasis 5 and 6 so stay tuned...

On the central park walking tour (fantastic) on our recent Allure cruise, the horticulturalist who's responsible for the maintenance of Central Park on both Oasis and Allure said they'll never build a larger ship.

What does he know, you ask? Fair question. But he was extremely knowledgeable about the Oasis ships and even told us about Oasis 4 about 4 days prior to the official announcement. He plans the central parks which are the most technically-challenging parts of Oasis class. He also strongly hinted at Oasis 5 and 6 so stay tuned...

While I agree that the boardwalks and central parks on these large ships are technically challenging, its not from the horticulturalist's standpoint. It has to do with climate control and fire safety in a space this large, that spans several fire zones on the ship.

IMHO, it would take a very large investment in infrastructure to justify larger ships than Oasis class. They are already limited in ports of call due to dock length, water depth, and bridge heights. There are also technical challenges that the Oasis class themselves have brought to the table, like the fire safety of the central park, and the mega-lifeboats, that need more study as to whether there are unforeseen problems with them, before you scale them up further.

I don't like to put anyone down, but realistically, do you think a horticulturalist is going to be the person we would go to for realistic information about ship construction and development?

I personally couldn't imagine anything larger than what they've already developed. I'm actually surprised there are enough high paying citizens that are able to routinely fill the bigger ships at the prices they run at.

Edited by kingsgirl

i don't like to put anyone down, but realistically, do you think a horticulturalist is going to be the person we would go to for realistic information about ship construction and development?

meowww!

Edited by F27TW

Inevitably there will be something larger. There's already been some designs discussed that would actually never dock, but always stay at sea. Boarding would be done with massive tenders that would be almost cruise ship sized themselves.

Seems crazy on paper, but so did going to the moon in the 1940s. Who knows how far it can go. Me, I'd be happy to take a cruise on a ship with an NCC registry number. :) (Not likely to happen in my lifetime lol)

Wasn't some years ago that some investors were going to build a large floating city having it's own medical, police and government. It was consisted of condominiums and hotels. Can't recall the name of the project or ship (?). Don't know if it is still on the drawing board. In reading, some scientist swere concerned with regarding typhoons/hurricanes and rogue waves and the impact on the superstructure.

Wasn't some years ago that some investors were going to build a large floating city having it's own medical, police and government. It was consisted of condominiums and hotels. Can't recall the name of the project or ship (?). Don't know if it is still on the drawing board. In reading, some scientist swere concerned with regarding typhoons/hurricanes and rogue waves and the impact on the superstructure.

I believe that's the Freedom Ship project. It's been around since the 90's, and there are more significant issues than weather sustainability. Pie in the sky.

I don't like to put anyone down, but realistically, do you think a horticulturalist is going to be the person we would go to for realistic information about ship construction and development?

No, I don't. Just passing along what he said. He obviously knew about Oasis 4. If you hear about Oasis 5 and 6 in the future, then he was right about that too. If not, he wasn't. :)

When the Sovereign of the Seas was launched in 1988 the president if the shipyard stated it would be 50 years (or a similar large number) before they built anything bigger.

We all know how that prediction turned out.

Who knows. Technology is constantly evolving and we don't know what the future has in store for us.

Seems crazy on paper, but so did going to the moon in the 1940s. Who knows how far it can go. Me, I'd be happy to take a cruise on a ship with an NCC registry number. :) (Not likely to happen in my lifetime lol)

Maybe they will name that first ship the "Sovereign of the Skies":)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Sovereign of the Seas was the largest cruise ship built to that date, but NOT the largest passenger ship ever built. That distinction was held by the ocean liner Cunard's RMS Queen Elizabeth of 1940 at almost 84,000 GRT. The QE was not bettered in size until Carnival Destiny in.... er.... 1996?

Now could a larger ship than Oasis class be built? I think the answer is obvious; of course!

Would it make sense? It depends. How much larger, and where could it dock, what bridges it could pass under, and how much would it cost to build.

Not only is it going to be technically difficult to get these mega-ships much larger, I'm not sure it makes sense from a business standpoint. It's a supply and demand business and I think the demand has softened quite substantially.

Not only is it going to be technically difficult to get these mega-ships much larger, I'm not sure it makes sense from a business standpoint. It's a supply and demand business and I think the demand has softened quite substantially.

Demand softening?

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/growth/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app