Capt. Circ. mag now a brochure?

crackupforlaughs

We went through an "off the grid" period re Capt. Circ. magazine for a while, not receiving it despite cruising and calling customer service, etc. Anyway, we now receive it again (yay! and the email newsletters).

From what I remember, however, is that it used to be more of a magazine with some content...like a recipe, a traveler profile, some other article. Now it just appears to be a brochure for upcoming itineraries?

The one I have received since being back on radar with them is the current one (I'm guessing... it says "Captain's Circle Magazine" but then it says "Summer 2015" with Venice picture...). It does have a short captain profile and consummate host. Maybe that and the history of Princess timeline and the blurb about the Regal are the "content"?

Just wondering if they have discontinued the featured recipe and other more editorial like content. I know it always had upcoming itineraries and savings, etc. but this is just more of a brochure and the other at least resembled a magazine.:rolleyes: But, at least we are finally getting it again!

Haven't gotten mine yet--which is normal, it takes bulk mail forever to makes its way down the Florida peninsula. But I remember always getting e-mailed a link to an online version. Has that disappeared as well?

Haven't gotten mine yet--which is normal, it takes bulk mail forever to makes its way down the Florida peninsula. But I remember always getting e-mailed a link to an online version. Has that disappeared as well?

Strange but I have not received the paper version in a long time but just recieved it this week.

Received the email version a week or 2 ago. Go figure. :confused:

Maybe it's a result of the new president's sales & marketing background turning the Captain's Circle Magazine into just another sales brochure & not interesting info about cruising Princess. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Also disappointed. It's actually still on the coffee table but it won't be there for long. The '50 Years At Sea' part was cool, but that was about it.

So, 2004 was the year they began assaulting us with MUTS :p

I'm in agreement with all of you. I enjoyed the previous version more than this blatant marketing tool. It was nice to hear that Capt. Tony is enjoying retirement and I'd like to know how a few other crew are doing too. Does this replace the 2015 Cruise Atlas? If yes, it doesn't do it very well.

I also noticed the changes...5 pages of info & 26 pages listing itineraries. :(

The old format was much better. I agree with you. The new format seems like a brochure.

Advertising is very expensive to print and mail.

The return on investment is very difficult to measure.

Before I retired, my Department handled the shipping of my Company's advertising. My shipping budget was out-of-sight.

Some shipments went Motor Freight' rather than UPS.

So, looks like the Princess bean counters are working over time cutting costs.

Charging for Room Service and Alfredo's may be just a start.

Time to look at other Cruise lines:(

yet I still get at least one brochure (a real brochure not disguised as a magazine) from them once a week! Confetti anyone!

I didn't realize about the new CEOs background. I am still scratching my head about the TV ad. Seen HAL's lately? It makes HAL look fun (not that it's not), but definitely upbeat music and makes me want to watch the ad and maybe consider going on them because I wouldn't become comatose as the Princess ad made me feel. And, I've been on HAL and they are not for me! Anyway, didn't mean to bring up an old subject... but maybe the quality of the CEOs background should be questioned... just sayin...

Advertising is very expensive to print and mail.

The return on investment is very difficult to measure.

Before I retired, my Department handled the shipping of my Company's advertising. My shipping budget was out-of-sight.

Some shipments went Motor Freight' rather than UPS.

So, looks like the Princess bean counters are working over time cutting costs.

Charging for Room Service and Alfredo's may be just a start.

Time to look at other Cruise lines:(

I understand what you're saying about a return for their advertising investment & at one time I'd get an email with a link to a PDF file of the Captain's Circle magazine. I'd prefer that instead of a shipped brochure & it would save them the cost of printing & shipping it to me. If I can figure that out then I'd think so should Princess & to not waste their money shipping me a brochure with very little of interest to me. I can go to their website to view available cruises & the Captain's Circle "brochure" is of little benefit to me when deciding on a cruise.

Maybe the "bean counters" should send an online version & with the money they save they won't have to surprise passengers with fees like they're doing on the Regal (and eventually fleetwide) for Alfredo's & room service. :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer