Be Forewarned - Debarkation at Copenhagen's Ocean Quay Terminal

CI66774

I found a map for the No. 26 bus. If you don't mind dealing with luggage on the bus and you are not in port on a weekend, it looks like a good option since it has been extended to Oceankaj. I added the location of the UNICEF Warehouse mentioned as a prearranged taxi meeting point on a previous post. I also added the location of the nearest train stop.

xW9NAb1mvC1ZLCUtBGyNe7Gu-skSePMygBS0mzcFwcQ=w658-h648-no

After disembarking the Royal Princess on the 23 May, Light Blue 3 at 8:30, we were into the terminal around 8:45. Obviously many in the group had disembarked earlier as my bag was missing. Filed a missing bag form, walked over to the bus line and joined the throng. Walked up the line thinking I could find my bag and low and behold their was an elderly couple with my bag. They were distraught when I identified my bag with numerous tags. I referred to them by name as the bag similar to mine was still in the terminal with tags. Went back to the terminal the the gentleman and assisted him in getting his correct bag and withdrawing the list bag. My

Hubby and wife of other party remained in line for bus. By the time we got back the bus had arrived. Much delay with passengers not having coins for fare. Fortunately we had bought a 24hr bus pass on our first transit. From memory it is 7E for 2 persons to Central Station. The bus was packed. Passengers put bags on seats limiting access. Trip took almost an hour from boarding to Central station. This was before the 2 other ships in port disembarked. The bus trip is not for the faint of heart. There were a couple of people who had issues with standing and the heat on the bus.

After about a 100 yd walk from the bus stop to Central Station we made a quick connection to the train to the airport as we stayed at the Hilton. We were at the Hilton by 11:30am.

If using the bus system I would suggest buying tickets in advance and validate them once on board.

The weekday traffic is horrendous. Coming from the cruise terminals there is a stop sign whilst commercial traffic from the port does not stop. All traffic from cruise port needs a considerate driver making the turn to let them in. Once thru that turn you are ar the mercy of the traffic signals until you reach the main road.

Taxi wait times were far worse than other options. There is no easy transport from the terminal to the city or airport. Princess buses, HoHo get stuck in the same traffic.

Be aware if using the free wifi on the HoHo buses, my accounts were hacked and they were the only places I used free wifi in CPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

'kiwimum'...thanks for sharing your experiences and it's very disappointing to learn what a PITA a major port like Copenhagen is for cruise passengers. I've never experienced a cruise terminal that was this bad and to build a new cruise terminal without addressing traffic flow is terrible! :(

Our tentative plan to wait until later for crowds to decrease may not work with reports of cruise ships arriving at different times & thus continuous traffic jams. Thankfully we're staying for a couple of nights in Copenhagen & we may just stay on the ship until they kick us off. ;)

I feel very sorry for anyone going to the airport for a flight after disembarking from the ship. :(

Sorry to hear of the difficulties in disembarking at Oceankaj. We will be doing the opposite at Oceankaj: embarking in mid-June at Oceankaj. What pointers would you give us on the best way to get to Oceankaj from town? Does the taxi get in close to the ship at Oceankaj c330? How close does the bus #26 get to the ship at Oceankaj c330?

I hope that because we are embarking that the traffic jam would be lessened because the people going to Oceankaj would be spread over a more hours than the typical disembarkation. Any comments? Still, as two seniors, we do not want to be dragging luggage around for 45 minutes! :eek:

I found a map for the No. 26 bus. If you don't mind dealing with luggage on the bus and you are not in port on a weekend, it looks like a good option since it has been extended to Oceankaj. I added the location of the UNICEF Warehouse mentioned as a prearranged taxi meeting point on a previous post. I also added the location of the nearest train stop.

xW9NAb1mvC1ZLCUtBGyNe7Gu-skSePMygBS0mzcFwcQ=w658-h648-no

This is the first map that I've seen. Thank you very much. Where did it come from and what do the big black dots denote?

This is the first map that I've seen. Thank you very much. Where did it come from and what do the big black dots denote?
The map is from a post on Trip Advisor and is just a part of the route of bus no 26. The black dots are stops. The transit site is only in Danish. Below is the link to that post.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189541-i218-k7424643-Bus_route_no_26-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

Bus no 26 is the gold route on the second link in the first reply.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

The map is from a post on Trip Advisor and is just a part of the route of bus no 26. The black dots are stops. The transit site is only in Danish. Below is the link to that post.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189541-i218-k7424643-Bus_route_no_26-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

Bus no 26 is the gold route on the second link in the first reply.

Many thanks! I saw that tripadvisor post but could not get the link to work. Due to your map, I was able to locate the bus 26 stop at Oceankaj on a Google map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unicef+Færgehavn+Nord/@55.7138745,12.6167216,493m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x465252b9b1b7b737:0xee5254d82b87707d

I presume the T-shape building is the UNICEF Warehouse.

Is this a transfer to Copenhagen airport? If yes, then Princess charges only $44 per person for the transfer not 60 Euros (or around $100). I think they're charging you way too much for the transfer.

We are paying £60 return, therefore, equivalent to $45 per single transfer within a dollar or two, so very close to what you have suggested. I cannot personally see the logic in having a decent holiday which ends by walking with a heap of luggage over any distance. I would expect to be on a very early Princess transfer to the airport, which I am comfortable with.

I am grateful for the numerous entries on this topic which has pre-warned so many others and given us time to consider the options.

Rob

We are paying £60 return, therefore, equivalent to $45 per single transfer within a dollar or two, so very close to what you have suggested. I cannot personally see the logic in having a decent holiday which ends by walking with a heap of luggage over any distance. I would expect to be on a very early Princess transfer to the airport, which I am comfortable with.

I am grateful for the numerous entries on this topic which has pre-warned so many others and given us time to consider the options.

Rob

Rob, I understand the pricing now.

I started this thread because I didn't want anyone else (unknowingly, at least) going through what I did last week. From my experience, the best thing to do is be the first to get off the ship or the last. Anything thing else and it's a toss up as to how long it will take to get to your destination. It also depends on how many ships are in port. Knowledge is power.:D I'm glad this thread has been helpful to others!

Many thanks! I saw that tripadvisor post but could not get the link to work. Due to your map, I was able to locate the bus 26 stop at Oceankaj on a Google map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unicef+Færgehavn+Nord/@55.7138745,12.6167216,493m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x465252b9b1b7b737:0xee5254d82b87707d

I presume the T-shape building is the UNICEF Warehouse.

It is good to see that Google has the new no 26 bus stops added. I really like that Google shows public transit routes and stops in many cities. It helps us plan our route when exploring a port on our own.

UNICEF has a major distribution complex at Oceankaj and I believe that not just the T-shaped building, but the entire complex of buildings are part of UNICEF.

It is good to see that Google has the new no 26 bus stops added. I really like that Google shows public transit routes and stops in many cities. It helps us plan our route when exploring a port on our own.

UNICEF has a major distribution complex at Oceankaj and I believe that not just the T-shaped building, but the entire complex of buildings are part of UNICEF.

Thanks for the great info to prepare for the Copenhagen cruise terminal.

FYI: We paid 190 DK for a taxi on Monday, May 19 at 9:00 AM from Oceankaj 330 to the Nyhavn Canal area (Hotel Bethel). Yes, that meter keeps going when you are sitting in traffic. It looked like a typical rush hour to me, but not a traffic jam. Just our experience though.

FYI: We paid 190 DK for a taxi on Monday, May 19 at 9:00 AM from Oceankaj 330 to the Nyhavn Canal area (Hotel Bethel). Yes, that meter keeps going when you are sitting in traffic. It looked like a typical rush hour to me, but not a traffic jam. Just our experience though.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you had a relatively easy time getting from Oceankaj to Hotel Bethel. We'll be doing the opposite route on June 18, from Hotel Bethel to Oceankaj.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Our situation is a little bit different in that we are not disembarking in Copenhagen. While the majority of passengers on the ship will be disembarking here, Princess also booked this cruise as a round trip Warnemunde which is what we are doing. It appears we will be affected by the congestion that has been discussed here as far as travelling from the ship to downtown (we had planned to take the #26 bus). What I am wondering is if any of you that have experienced this situation first hand have any suggestions as to what time we should plan to get off the ship in order to minimize the congestion from those that are disembarking. As far as I can tell the Royal will be the only ship that will be at the Oceankaj terminal on the day we are in port. I hate the thought of wasting some of our precious day in Copenhagen sitting in traffic.

We did B2B on the Royal and were in CPH May 12. Rode Bus 26 around 10am with no real wait at the bus stop, got on the first bus that came thru. The traffic congestion is not so much from the cruise port but from the port itself. At a T intersection not far from the ship, cruise port traffic must stop. Port traffic coming from the right does not stop. Volume of traffic coming from the port is the issue. Hate to say but a traffic light would be a good investment to break the flow of the port traffic. Returning to the cruise port was no issue as the thru traffic did not stop from memory.

Bus drivers would not pick up those that tried to board from the inbound side of the street. The only stop serviced was outbound from the port opposite the UNICEF.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't know if this helps for those disembarking on Saturday, 7/12. We are coming in on NCL and our flight is 1150am - so I am starting to worry :eek:

Arrival ETA Ship From2 Quay Agency Status

12 Jul - 14 0700 Norwegian Star Stockholm C330 Blue Water Shipping A/S Expected

12 Jul - 14 0830 Costa Luminosa Helsinki C330 Maersk Broker Agency K/S Expected

12 Jul - 14 0900 Birka Stockholm Rönne C177 Blue Water Shipping A/S Expected

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you had a relatively easy time getting from Oceankaj to Hotel Bethel. We'll be doing the opposite route on June 18, from Hotel Bethel to Oceankaj.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Hi we are also doing the same route as you the Bethel Hotel to the port on the royal Princess but in Sept. We was thinking of getting a taxi from the hotel. Would you be as kind to share your experience with us on your return in regards to transport to the ship. Also any other hints would also be appreciated. Even if you could email me that would be great as well.

robertharfield at hotmail dot com

Thank you so much if you could share this information with us.

Aussie Bob

Am checking in to the Bethel on Monday, embarking same cruise as vk8cruiser on Wednesday. Bethel have quoted me DKK 200 for the transfer by cab. Still not decided whether to take the bus or cab..... have back problems & I don't pack light :(

Am checking in to the Bethel on Monday, embarking same cruise as vk8cruiser on Wednesday. Bethel have quoted me DKK 200 for the transfer by cab. Still not decided whether to take the bus or cab..... have back problems & I don't pack light :(

That's about $35. You won't have a problem getting ON the ship. It's getting off when other ships are in port. That's the mess!

Arrived in Copenhagen on the Royal on Sat., 6/14. We were the first off the ship at about 5:00am, there were several taxis waiting outside the terminal, and we were at the airport shortly after 5:30. Do not know what the traffic was like later in the morning... When we embarked on Tuesday, June 3, we took a taxi from the Marriott, arriving after 1:00 pm, the only traffic congestion was the usual city traffic outside the port area.

Hi Good luck with your transfer. Would you be as kind to let me know how you go with the price and Traffic and what time you left the hotel. I also have a bad back. robertharfield@hotmail.com We are staying at the Bethel hotel as well.

I was thinking of getting the the ship early around 11/12 noon.

Aussie Bob

Edited by harfield