Be Forewarned - Debarkation at Copenhagen's Ocean Quay Terminal

CI66774

Hi Good luck with your transfer. Would you be as kind to let me know how you go with the price and Traffic and what time you left the hotel. I also have a bad back. robertharfield@hotmail.com We are staying at the Bethel hotel as well.

I was thinking of getting the the ship early around 11/12 noon.

Aussie Bob

Just home from June 3 Royal sailing. We took a cab from Hotel Maritime near Nyhavn to Ocean Quay to embark and used the princess transfer to the airport when we returned on June 14.

Embark - Since checkout time was 1100, the hotel called a cab for us at 1100. It was about a 20 minute ride to the pier for 184 Dk. We waited in a holding area in the terminal for about 30 minutes and then check in counters opened at 1200. We were among the first on the ship by around 1215.

Disembark - We used a princess transfer. We were first group and were called off the ship as scheduled at 0615. There was almost no traffic and were at the airport around 0700. We claimed our bags at the airport and then checked in to our KLM flight. We had a 10:10 flight and were waiting for the gate to be displayed by 0730.

Very painless both directions.

Good luck

Just home from June 3 Royal sailing. We took a cab from Hotel Maritime near Nyhavn to Ocean Quay to embark and used the princess transfer to the airport when we returned on June 14.

Embark - Since checkout time was 1100, the hotel called a cab for us at 1100. It was about a 20 minute ride to the pier for 184 Dk. We waited in a holding area in the terminal for about 30 minutes and then check in counters opened at 1200. We were among the first on the ship by around 1215.

Disembark - We used a princess transfer. We were first group and were called off the ship as scheduled at 0615. There was almost no traffic and were at the airport around 0700. We claimed our bags at the airport and then checked in to our KLM flight. We had a 10:10 flight and were waiting for the gate to be displayed by 0730.

Very painless both directions.

Good luck

So do you have to claim your bags at the terminal before you hop on the bus? If not how do you know if you bags will made it to the airport.

So do you have to claim your bags at the terminal before you hop on the bus? If not how do you know if you bags will made it to the airport.
If I remember right from a year ago, we collected our bags and brought them to our bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On June 14th, on a Princess Transfer, the bags were transported and claimed at the Airport, not at the pier. They were staged on the ground floor of a parking structure directly across from Terminal 2.

We found out the bags made it to the airport when we got there.

Tony

• 1 year later...
We walked right across the street (next to the Unicef Bldg.) and caught the public bus for 24 kroner (about $4.50) pp. It took all of a half hour to get to the main train station (Central Station) across from Tivoli Gardens, but only a few minutes to get to the Norreport stop where you can catch the metro to the airport or other main areas of the city. The bus had a large, lowered platform at the middle door, and large storage areas on the floor, so putting luggage on board was easy. The people waiting for taxis were probably still in line when we checked into the Marriott near Tivoli.

Did you disembark from the Oceankaj port? How long was the walk? Were there not many people who did the same thing as you?

The people who disembarked early and had no problem, may I ask if you used Princess EZair or your own arrangements? We may decide to stay in Copenhagen is Bethel Hotel the hotel that Princess uses? Were you happy with it and is it central to the sites? Any help you can provide me will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Please note - this thread is from 2014.

We disembarked the Regal in May 2015 and had no problems. I heard there was no wait for a taxi. We took the Princess transfer and were at the airport in about 40 minutes.

Edited by Alicomp

Did you disembark from the Oceankaj port?

The Regal was at Oceankaj in early May 2015 arriving on a Saturday.

Please note - this thread is from 2014.

We disembarked the Regal in May 2015 and had no problems. I heard there was no wait for a taxi. We took the Princess transfer and were at the airport in about 40 minutes.

We got off the Regal on 5/2/15 after 9:00 and had no trouble getting a taxi to the Radisson Blu Scandinavian. It cost about $30 and we walk many places (even with luggage) but we were happy that we didn't walk through the port area to the train (no bus on Saturday).

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Regal was at Oceankaj in early May 2015 arriving on a Saturday.

We got off the Regal on 5/2/15 after 9:00 and had no trouble getting a taxi to the Radisson Blu Scandinavian. It cost about $30 and we walk many places (even with luggage) but we were happy that we didn't walk through the port area to the train (no bus on Saturday).

We have 5 adults. Was it just the two of you? Did you see many taxi vans, too, that can accommodate 5 adults? Was yours the only ship that day? Kinda worried about getting stuck in long lines. No rush but like someone said, the taxi fare might end up higher if we are stuck in traffic unable to get out of the port.

We have 5 adults. Was it just the two of you? Did you see many taxi vans, too, that can accommodate 5 adults? Was yours the only ship that day? Kinda worried about getting stuck in long lines. No rush but like someone said, the taxi fare might end up higher if we are stuck in traffic unable to get out of the port.

Sorry but I didn't notice the size of the other cabs & there were only 2 of us going to the hotel. Our Saturday morning arrival had no traffic issues & as I recall we were the only ship in port.

Friends on the same cruise took a Princess tour that ended at the airport where they stayed overnight at the Hilton before their flight the next day. We enjoyed 2 nights at the hotel & walked all around town including to the Little Mermaid.

The people who disembarked early and had no problem, may I ask if you used Princess EZair or your own arrangements? We may decide to stay in Copenhagen is Bethel Hotel the hotel that Princess uses? Were you happy with it and is it central to the sites? Any help you can provide me will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I don't know if the Bethel is the hotel that Princess uses but it's lovely. Well located on Nyhaven it's quite simple. I had a single room overlooking the canal. Staff were friendly and helpful.

If you click through to my Legend blog in my sig below the hotel pics are near the beginning.

A big thanks to everyone who shared info on this gridlock at the new but 'not improved yet' cruise terminal.

A couple of years ago at the other terminal Princess said that cabs would be very limited & to use their shuttles. However we had no trouble at about 9:30 getting a cab to our post-cruise hotel stay. Obviously with the new terminal's construction it's worse than before & hope that it's completed by early next May when we disembark on the Regal Princess.

This is the stressful part of planning

Edited by uc828

This is the stressful part of planning

That was written a year before our arrival & when we disembarked in early May 2015 the process went very smoothly at Oceankaj terminal.

Knowing that our hotel room wouldn't be ready until late morning we were in no hurry to get off the Regal. I have no way to know how it was earlier but it was easy for us with no congestion at the port nor getting to our hotel. It was a Saturday morning & we may have been the only ship in port. In May 2014 there was a thread on the Baltic ports forum & you may get current experiences or could begin a thread asking about them.

I search the Northern Europe and Baltics forum and found several threads about experiences at Oceankaj:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=74131732

EDIT: I just noticed that you had posted on several of those threads so obviously you've already discovered that forum.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi, I would greatly appreciate any advice on our return from our Regal Princess cruise. We arrive back in Copenhagen on the 9th August (Sunday). We have booked flights on the Sunday on SAS Airlines for an 8.00am domestic flight to Hamburg - are we asking too much to get to the airport by say 7.20am to catch this flight.

Previous reviews last year were stating about the traffic congestion but I believe the road has been improved slightly.

Are there lots of taxis waiting for passengers disembarking at the Port?

Also the ship docks at 5am and do Princess Regal allow you to get off the ship shortly after docking as long as all accounts have been finalised?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi, I would greatly appreciate any advice on our return from our Regal Princess cruise. We arrive back in Copenhagen on the 9th August (Sunday). We have booked flights on the Sunday on SAS Airlines for an 8.00am domestic flight to Hamburg - are we asking too much to get to the airport by say 7.20am to catch this flight.

Previous reviews last year were stating about the traffic congestion but I believe the road has been improved slightly.

Are there lots of taxis waiting for passengers disembarking at the Port?

Also the ship docks at 5am and do Princess Regal allow you to get off the ship shortly after docking as long as all accounts have been finalised?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I disembarked from the Regal at Copenhagen's Oceankaj cruise terminal on May 2nd. The first "self assist disembarkation" was scheduled at 0530 but we didn't get off the ship until after 0900 when there were lots of taxis. Traffic congestion was not a problem at that time & on a previous trip we left early from our hotel & had no traffic delays.

If the ship arrives on time, if there are no delays disembarking, if there are enough taxis...that's too many ifs for me to feel confident about making a 0800 flight.

Arriving at CPH at 0720 for a 0800 flight...is that doable? Based on our flight from CPH, I'm very doubtful if that would be enough time to catch your flight.

That would be too much to ask for me but hopefully everything goes perfectly & you'll catch your flight. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

From the SAS web site (general, not specific to CPH):

Can I use Online Check-in if I have bags to check?

Yes, you will be able to print your boarding pass at home but will have to drop your bags at an SAS Airlines Check-in counter at the airport before the cut-off time.

If I plan to check in at the airport, how much time should I allot?

For international travel:

• SAS recommends you arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight.
  • The cut-off for checking in is 60 minutes before departure time.

When do I need to be at the boarding gate?

• International passengers: at least 30 minutes before flight departure (there may be some exceptions).

So, SAS says the cut-off for check-in at the airport is 60 minutes before the flight (which means after you have made it through the line to actually check in) and must be through security and at the gate 30 minutes before departure.

Thus, you need to be at the airport before 7 AM (earlier suggested) and at the gate by 7:30 AM.

Once you get to the airport, it may take a few minutes to know which counter and get to the counter assigned to check-in for your flight, so allow for that.

If you do online check-in and print your boarding passes onboard the ship, it does not say what is the deadline for dropping off your baggage, but you must still be at the gate by 7:30.

Edited by caribill

I agree with those that suggest that you use the transportation that Princess provides in locations like this. Fortunately for us we only fly into Copenhagen, do the 11 day round trip then back on the ship for the 14 day transatlantic back to NY. Going to Denmark and flying out of NY back to FL will be done with Princess' packages.

I agree with those that suggest that you use the transportation that Princess provides in locations like this.

My disembarkation sheet from May shows the earliest meeting time for a Princess transfer was 6:15 so it's highly unlikely to me that it's possible to arrive at CPH in time to meet the requirements that 'caribill' posted for a 0800 flight.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for your message re getting to the airport, we have now decided to take the bus/train from the main train station in Copenhagen as we decided it was too risky to try and get to the airport for the 8am flight.

A lot of this thread is old and not useful. If interested, go to the Northern Europe board for a couple long and detailed threads re the port transportation options in Copenhagen. Danish Viking is very helpful and will answer individual questions. He even posted pictures for bus stops and the port. 2015 options are different than earlier.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to post that we had no trouble whatsoever on disembarkation from the Regal Princess in Copenhagen. We were off the ship by just before 6am and in a taxi to the airport and were able to catch our flight to Hamburg at 8am. There were plenty of taxis waiting for passengers.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fortunately for us, we don't have to disembark in Copenhagen because we are on a BTB returning to NY. However, we still have to find our way to the berth from our hotel so we are thinking that we will bite the bullet and take a taxi instead of schlepping our luggage to the pier.

We've had the pleasure of sailing out of and into Copenhagen 7 times. We've always taken a cab to the pier from our hotels. Sometimes you have to weigh convenience and wear & tear vs. cost (and if you're on a B2B you probably have a fair amount of luggage). Depending on the location of your hotel, expect to pay the equivalent of about $50-60US. Enjoy your cruises!