Future Cruise Deposits and Medical Insurance....

sail7seas

I just read something I never had any idea about in the past.

On another CC forum (Ask a Cruise Question), someone posted that if one purchases a Future Cruise Deposit, as HAL calls them, or Future Cruise Credit as apparently some other lines name them, and does not use it as deposit for a specified cruise within the time limit assigned for pre-existing coverage, coverage could be refused if a claim is filed. What I am trying to say is if the insurance you buy calls for it to be purchased within 15 days of first deposit for your cruise, they will consider the date you purchased you Future Cruise Deposit as the date you paid deposit despite the fact you might not actually book a specific cruise until some weeks/months later.

Has anyone here encountered such a situation where their claim was denied due to the date they purchased the FCD vs the date they actually booked a cruise?

[/b]

We usually use travelguard, and this statement is from their FAQs:

Some plans include a Pre-existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver when purchasing the plan within a specified time frame immediately following initial trip payment.

I think it's possible they could claim that purchasing the future cruise credit is an initial payment. We always book early to get the pre-existing coverage. I know they ask for the date of travel, date of initial booking, date of final payment.

If you buy the future credit, you can't buy travel insurance at that time because you don't know the date of travel or date of final payment. Sounds like you could be in the wrong no matter what you try to do.

I thought that HAL's insurance could be purchased right up until Final Payment date??

DaveOKC

HAL coverage is trip cancellation. It is not medical.

The best policy covers only $10,000 of medical bills in event of accident or injury.

My question relates to third party insurance many of us purchase.

Edited by sail7seas

HAL coverage is trip cancellation. It is not medical.

The best policy covers only $10,000 of medical bills in event of accident or injury.

My question relates to third party insurance many of us purchase.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Dave

The following is a link to an article on the trip insurance store website about initial trip payments and how they are interpreted buy the various insurance companies...looks like Travelguard is the only one who considers the date you buy a future cruise credit as the initial payment date. Seems crazy as you don't have any $$ amounts or dates at that point. I guess you would have to buy a trip insurance policy on the $100 and come up with some future date in order to be covered for the preexisting condition waiver.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/initial-trip-deposit-date/

The Insurance we buy could be purchased right up until Final Payment date including the FCC..

I think all insurance plans can be purchased that late. And I know that a lot of people do wait until Final Payment, so that if they cancel the cruise they haven't lost any money on the insurance. But a lot of policies include pre-existing condition coverage only if you buy it when you first make the booking. That's why I buy insurance right away. I think you can always add the pre-exiting condition coverage, but if you do it later rather than sooner, it can significantly increase the insurance cost.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Wow !!!

To consider the day you bought a FCC the day you booked your voyage for pre-existing conditions coverage on your travel policy is insane on the part of the travel insurance companies! It's a very lucrative loophole for them, and a costly loophole for the rest of us. :mad:

I will have to look at my policy for the upcoming cruise, but darn, it just gives me something else to fret about. :o Of course we booked with FCC's. I pray it doesn't void the pre-existing condition clause. It is hard enough to travel when dealing with long-term illnesses, this just makes it harder..... :o :o

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Sails, I would be totally floored to have pre-existing coverage denied based on the use of an FCC. Frankly, it's the best reason I have heard to not purchase another FCC.

Pre-existing condition isn't there a time factor. For example if you have not been treated for the condition in over a year, does your insurance now cover the condition? We were under the impression it was.

Pre-existing condition isn't there a time factor. For example if you have not been treated for the condition in over a year, does your insurance now cover the condition? We were under the impression it was.

The time requirements do vary so one must carefully read the detailed policy info prior to purchasing any policy.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think all insurance plans can be purchased that late. And I know that a lot of people do wait until Final Payment, so that if they cancel the cruise they haven't lost any money on the insurance. But a lot of policies include pre-existing condition coverage only if you buy it when you first make the booking. That's why I buy insurance right away. I think you can always add the pre-exiting condition coverage, but if you do it later rather than sooner, it can significantly increase the insurance cost.

That doesn't address the question...

WHEN is the first deposit? When is the 'right away'?

Is it when you Purchase the Future Cruise Deposit

Or

Is it when you select a specific cruise and apply the previously purchased Future Cruise Deposit?

Edited by sail7seas

I think there is a serious enough room for interpretation by an insurer that it is something I would request an answer to by e-mail/in writing to be sure of having the insurance we think we purchase.

I can see way too much wiggle room for an insurer to deny coverage if a FCD is used weeks/months after it was purchased. I always 'assumed' the date of booking the cruise was the date of deposit but I am very unsure about that now.

I think there is a serious enough room for interpretation by an insurer that it is something I would request an answer to by e-mail/in writing to be sure of having the insurance we think we purchase.

I can see way too much wiggle room for an insurer to deny coverage if a FCD is used weeks/months after it was purchased. I always 'assumed' the date of booking the cruise was the date of deposit but I am very unsure about that now.

What a great thread sail...thank you for bringing this to all our attention. It certainly is something that never even crossed my mind but yikes-so much to think about now.

You are so right-too much wiggle room and if it's a big claim the insurance company will find what they can to use it against paying out a claim. Good advice to get the answer in writing too.

Thanks again for starting this interesting and informative thread.

This is really an important thread for many of us.

As we age, we have more time to travel. So, the FCD vouchers are a good deal for us.

As we age, we develop more chronic conditions. The pre-existing clause in the travel insurance policies become more important.

Looks like the advantages from the one are cancelled out by the fine print in the other.

This is really an important thread for many of us.

As we age, we have more time to travel. So, the FCD vouchers are a good deal for us.

As we age, we develop more chronic conditions. The pre-existing clause in the travel insurance policies become more important.

Looks like the advantages from the one are cancelled out by the fine print in the other.

We haven't determined whether it is still a good plan to purchase the FCD's. I suggest we each need to verify from whichever company we deal with for our travel insurance. You may get an answer you like and can proceed as usual but at least you will know their stand on the question.

I also would be really interested if any Future Cruise Consultant would acknowledge this could be a problem if they are directly asked by guests when we purchase the FCD's. :rolleyes:

The obvious answer likely will be to tell us to not buy FCD's but to book our cruise right then with them....... they see bigger commission, of course.

Edited by sail7seas

Just spoke to my TA, who is very knowledgeable on these matters. ;)

She assures me that we are going to be fine, that our policy should still cover us if the need arises.

Now I can breathe a bit easier but will be mindful of this issue in the future.:rolleyes:

Thanks Sails for bringing this to our attention! :cool:

That doesn't address the question...

WHEN is the first deposit? When is the 'right away'?

Is it when you Purchase the Future Cruise Deposit

Or

Is it when you select a specific cruise and apply the previously purchased Future Cruise Deposit?

Yes, I understand your question. I was replying to someone who says you can buy insurance until the last minute.

I think you're right to try to get the policy in writing. If an insurance company can find a way out of paying, they'll probably use it. It's been ages since I've done a future cruise deposit. I always know what I want to book, so it isn't an issue to me. But I hope you get a clear answer from your usual carrier.

Thanks for sharing this info. I used FCC for my next cruise deposit and got travel ins. at that time. If I need medical attention for pre existing issues, I'll find out if I'm covered. In 2012 my personal medical insurance covered 100 percent of the cost when I needed to use the ship's medical services, so I didn't need to turn in a bill to the travel insurance company. Our coverage has changed now and it is 80/20.

Thanks for sharing this info. I used FCC for my next cruise deposit and got travel ins. at that time. If I need medical attention for pre existing issues, I'll find out if I'm covered. In 2012 my personal medical insurance covered 100 percent of the cost when I needed to use the ship's medical services, so I didn't need to turn in a bill to the travel insurance company. Our coverage has changed now and it is 80/20.

If you got your travel insurance within the designated number of days for pre-existing coverage from when you purchased the FCD, you would be fine. If you waited longer than the time period your insurer states is the deadline before you booked your cruise and insurance, you may wish to verify with your carrier what their policy states.

Edited by sail7seas

I think I can answer a bit about this, the problem with using a Future Cruise Deposit really depends more on the cruise line rather than the Insurance (although it really is just Travel Guard that is in question)...Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are really the only problem in this situation. When you purchase their Future Cruise Deposit they issue a reservation number at that time and state that is when the cruise is booked. The cruise purchased date will always be the date you purchased the Future Cruise deposit no matter how often you change to a different voyage. RCI and Celebrity basically lock it in that if you want cruise insurance you will need to either book their cruise insurance by final and or immediately purchase insurance such as Travel Guard. It is true of the major travel insurance companies Travel Guard is pretty much the only one that has the pre-existing clause that insurance be purchased within 15 days of the deposit. Now in the case of HAL and NCL and Princesses those future cruise deposits are just monies/credit sitting on your past passenger number with no reservation so when you actually make your reservation and purchase Travel Guard then it must be purchased within 15 days. It actually shows on the reservation the date that deposit was applied so does not hurt you in anyway like RCI and Celebrity. There are also travel insurance companies like like Allianz that cover pre-existing as long as you purchase prior to final payment.

For Holland America, Travel Guard when filing a claim goes by the date cruise was booked and the date it shows the Future Cruise Deposit was applied. Which is the date the cruise was actually purchased.

One more thing with regard to Travel Guard. As I understand it, on their Gold level policy anyway, if you purchase within 15 days of initial payment the medical coverage jumps from secondary to primary coverage. This greatly streamlines claims processing if the need arises.

Don't forget that Medi-Care does not cover outside of the US, so for those people the amount you of medical you purchase should be enough to cover a shipboard or foreign-soil emergency.

Edited by Ryndam2002