Hong Kong pre-cruise hotel

Xoe

... :D I wonder if I'm brave enough to take the train and transfer? scary!

... I would like to take the train, which makes sense and would be interesting; however, after flying SEA-YVR-HKG, I too would benefit from having a guide (such as you, mking8288 -- where can we sign up???) ...

Thank you & I/we owed it to CC, if we only knew it existed 10 years ago but of course, internet has come a long way since the IBM PC/XT in the mid 1980's. Perhaps when Mrs. M & I can retire comfortably in a few years, we could relocate & freelance as local hosts/tour guides for HKG - as the new Ocean Terminal is expected to attract bigger ships & more regular sailings, maybe making it a home port for RCL (they invested/owned 20% of the former airport terminal) & other lines targeted Asia. Go YouTube & search - amazing # of videos that help 1st. time visitors & travelers going to HKG. These virtual guides & tips should hopefully suffice & ease the minds.

YVR to HKG is most definitely on CX or Cathy Pacific, our favorite airline and if you think 13+ hours is tough, we have to put up with being tortuned for 14 to 16 hours on a nonstop to/from New York & HKG. Simply no way for us to fly UA or AC or DL with their aging aircrafts & horrible services. Just be prepared for jet-lag after landing for the next few days.

Salisbury Y's rooms are decent sized whereas other popular tourist class hotel rooms are small and in some case, just slightly bigger than an oceanview or mini-suite on a typical cruise ships, in the 200 sq. ft. range - but, as long as the ice-cold AC is working & bed/sheets are clean and soft, you will get a good night sleep & prepare for cruising.

The Airport Express Train is very convenient and unless you are traveling with several giant suitcases, you will be fine and the porters are there & available should you need help. The CityFlyer Bus is for light packers like us (although we did managed once with our 25" checked rollers) but we're tired & took a short nap en route riding to town - it is a bit of a challenged when you are tired, hungry & eager to take a shower and ready to crash for the night.

Both of you now know there are 3 basic options - instead of taking the free shuttle bus to the hotel, you can always hail a metered taxi for the short ride, you will need to pay cash in local currency as most of them don't accept credit card (exchange for some HKD from your hometown if you can or else, use HKIA's Currency Exchange, which doesn't give you the "best" official rates as the fees is calculated in the conversion already - so just get enough for your 24 hours use while in town. Otherwise, a direct taxi-ride from the airport to the hotel at around $55 USD including tips aren't too bad either - just make sure it's on the meter & running, and always get a receipt. Most taxi drivers understand basic English even if they don't speak it or not well at all, shown them the name of the hotel in English/Chinese and the address (print it out ahead of time, use Google Translate) and they will get you there.

In the past year since the new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal opened, there's been some reports & complaints of ship pax being taken for a wild ride and getting over-charged, only need a few bad apples to make all the drivers look bad - majority of them are honest & hard-working. In the unlikely event that you run into a problem, tell them and call 999 for the police (instead of our 911 for emergency) and tell them to go to the nearest police stations, and they will back off - only pay the printed metered fare as shown plus any surcharges/tolls with receipts, tipping for 10% of the fares is considered very good. That's part of the rationale for recommending use of public/mass transit between the airport & town, as it is reliable, safe and very efficient - mostly hassle-free and tourist-friendly.

As you get closer to your sailing dates a few months from now, check with your cruiselines for updates on transportation option and also KTCT's own website for what's new/available. Ocean Terminal is right in town and one of the main bus terminal is a block away, and, is well-served by taxis.

If you could afterward, do post pictures & share your trip with reviews back here on CC - we are looking at doing ours in 2015, as it looked like we will doing 12 nights to the Caribbean this Fall although a land vacation to Asia is still on option.

As for HCMC, that's an entirely different chapter by itself - for 1st. time tourist & visitor - find & stick with a 4 stars or better hotel in "District 1" and prices are still very reasonable & cheap compared to HKG and SFO/YVR, etc. and they are very roomy. Checkout the Flyertalk forum for Asia for headings relating to Vietnam, you will find lot of tips & useful info.

Plenty of time to do more research for you - enjoy your cruises.

for the specific recommendations regarding HCMC. I'd been thinking District 1 looked best, and your confirmation of that + recommendation of 4 or more stars is good to have. In that city there are so many low-cost hotels that are highly rated on Trip Advisor, it's confusing to try to sort through the choices. For example, Beautiful Saigon 3 is highly reviewed (#10 out of 348 on T.A.'s site) for $31 per night! (No stars however.)

I am booked on Cathay Pacific. Best connections, and they offer premium economy, important for leg room (I'm 5'11") on long hauls. First or business class would be lovely, but over budget unless with a mileage ticket, which I couldn't get for this trip. Yes, 13 hours is "short" for this kind of journey; I too have experienced much longer (Tahiti, New Zealand, Thailand -- but I was younger then!).

Room size is a minor consideration when traveling solo; location is top priority, which is why I chose the Salisbury. I'll spend some time on YouTube and Flyertalk, as you suggest.

It's hard to find words to convey the depth of my appreciation and thanks.

I'm going air canada, flying in the cheap seats. I'm barely 5 feet tall, so I don't need the leg room!

mking8288, I am feeling much more excited about the journey to the ship now instead of being leery about it. thank you again.

xoe, have a wonderful trip. i'll post back mid-November to let you all know how it went!

by the way, how is your roll call? mine has hardly any people on it and is so quiet. I think there must be lots of locals aboard. I'm looking forward to the cultural experience. I know very little about any of the countries or its people. learning about them all is a great reason to travel there!

Cdngrl, you have an advantage for flying (cheap seats work); I have an advantage for watching parades (seeing over others' heads).

Thus far, no roll call for my cruise -- small ship, Star Pride, 212 pax, just launched under Windstar ownership in early May. I've had great experiences through roll calls on past cruises, especially on Celebrity Equinox with 2 days each in Israel and Egypt, also Ocean Princess in the Black Sea when Yalta and Odessa, my own personal focus, were included. Windstar's small ships make it easy to meet people and figure out things once underway.

I too will post photos and reports after the Asia journey -- my first time in all places I'm visiting.

I wonder if I'm brave enough to take the train and transfer? scary!

Are you capable or taking the Canada line from YVR to downtown Vancouver? The train from HK airport is just as easy. If your hotel is in Kowloon, get off there and take a taxi. they are cheap and plentiful. The fare from Kowloon station to the Salisbury should be 33 Hong Kong dollars (about 5$ can.!!!

Edited by Earl Rosebery

is to be on the top of the double-decker bus, considering it my first sight-seeing excursion in Hong Kong. As you fine cheerleader-guides keep telling us, WE CAN DO THIS!

I'm traveling solo to hong kong in October for a princess cruise. picking a hotel was hard! it took me about 3 weeks researching. I couldn't believe how expensive they are! I found one, but I'm afraid to put it here. its the royal plaza hotel. it was cheaper than the salisbury. if its awful don't tell me! trip advisor tells me its good. I have no idea what its close to but figure i'll get there around 7pm and sleep. the next morning I go to the cruise. I'm doing a b2b so I do come back to hong kong to actually spend time there. I plan on taking a cab to the hotel and then to the ship. I've heard taxis are relatively inexpensive. we dock at the new kai tak terminal.

We have stayed at the Salisbury and Royal Plaza (I did a review on Tripadvisor also.) Royal Plaza is not in the main tourist area of TST but we had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The room was HUGE comparing to other HK hotels. It's right on top of the mall and the MTR station. It's walking distance to the Ladies Market which is one of the must-stops for visitors. Walking up to Nathan Road would be interesting also. You won't regret staying at either one of these hotels.

We have stayed at the Salisbury and Royal Plaza (I did a review on Tripadvisor also.) Royal Plaza is not in the main tourist area of TST but we had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The room was HUGE comparing to other HK hotels. It's right on top of the mall and the MTR station. It's walking distance to the Ladies Market which is one of the must-stops for visitors. Walking up to Nathan Road would be interesting also. You won't regret staying at either one of these hotels.

oh thank goodness! and thank you! my cruise will be doing an overnight about 2 weeks later, so I'm fine not being in the main tourist area for this stay.

The key to a slightly better experience flying coach for 12+ hours is the seat cushion/bottom. Can't comment on AC but CX's padding are thin for economy class cabin (better on E+ if you can upgrade, far less than "J" or business class, with more recline & leg rests.) Personal IFE (video/music/games, etc.) is among the best - and they do provide pillows (grab 2 if you can, stuff them together for a firmer) or bring an old disposable pillow as seat bottom/lower back support.

This CityFlyer video of the airport express bus, showing the new/upgraded fleet of air-conditioned double decker is short & cool, show you all the features on A21 and other routes serving different parts of HK/Kowloon & NT - bilingual signs & voice announce of upcoming stops, the extra-wide double doors for boarding & exit by the middle doors, for best view, go upstairs & sit forward - you get a free 30 to 60 minutes tour on the city, day or night and with free WiFi, you can follow the route on your Google/iOS Map/Nav. There are huge luggage racks and live video monitors upstairs can help eyes on them while you sit back & relax - low step-up to board & wheelchair accessible.

For longer stay, the "Octopus" Card is recommended - accepted for AE train, subway trains, light rails, trains, buses, ferries, and even those mini public buses (16 seaters) with numerous routes. Otherwise, just deposit HKD in bills and/or coins in the fare box (no change given.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBp4JDWJefE

Ocean Terminal is part of the interconnecting Harbour City/Ocean City complex that stretch several long city blocks - it's a 5 minutes easy walk from the Salisbury Y and next to the Star Ferry, also a major bus terminal with a taxi stand. To board cruises at OT, you would literally be following signs toward the shopping area with signs for cruise check-in. This video is a good intro to what's around OT and give you an idea of what it's like inside - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeAAYwtPKAY

Many locals boiled tap water for drinking purposes or go with bottled water, and you can find those at great prices at local pharmacy/drug stores that sell a variety of other products (chains like Watson's) or at 7-11's (Octopus Card accepted, same as cash - just a quick swipe; McDonald's also accept Octopus for that morning coffee, etc. - great way to avoid dealing with exact change & figuring out the value of all those different coins)

From the Royal Plaza to the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, it's probably a short 15 or 20 minutes taxi ride depending on traffic - as there is a taxi stand outside at every hotel, just hop it & go. Public transportation to/from KTCT is apparently still a "major" problem for cruise ship passengers in HK - long lines for "free" shuttle buses to nearby shopping mall & few taxis waiting - hopefully, some of those issues will be worked out in the coming months as more ships begin using this new terminal & complaints continue to escalate.

"Beautiful Saigon 3" looks fine and a boutique hotel and furnishings looked modern & updated and those rates are great, looked to be situated in a more residential/local area - but taxis are easy to find & hail and if WiFi or internet is included at no charge, that's even better as upscale 5 stars usually charge extra for it and mobile/data plans tend to be expensive compared to rest of Asia. If you find something in the 4 stars category, might want to consider & book one to pamper yourself and TripAdvisor is great for scouting them out - and, go Google Earth/Street View to check it out virtually as I always do that ahead of booking one.

Have fun planning it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

and back to tracking this very helpful message board. (I was away tending to family business matters -- not fun like planning for this cruise, but good in different ways.)

Thanks again so much for your detailed and very helpful information. I'll be studying all of this more in the coming months. Perhaps Beautiful Saigon 3 is the choice I will make -- money-saving for sure!

YVR to HKG is most definitely on CX or Cathy Pacific, our favorite airline and if you think 13+ hours is tough, we have to put up with being tortuned for 14 to 16 hours on a nonstop to/from New York & HKG. Simply no way for us to fly UA or AC or DL with their aging aircrafts & horrible services. Just be prepared for jet-lag after landing for the next few days.

If I may please thread hijack for a minute, please, you seem to be just the person I want to talk to.

I'm sailing out of Hong Kong next April, and have only started researching. It looks to me that my best flight option is Cathay Pacific non-stop from JFK; I can have a car drive me to the airport from home. I don't like changing planes!

But I'm concerned about the food on the plane. It's a long flight, and I will want to eat western food.

So, my question is about that. What sort of food is served on Cathay Pacific? Is it at least palatable? What can you tell me about the meals? I hope to fly business class, but with your experience I am hoping you can help me decide that my plan is all right for me.

My friends have decided we want to stay at the Y, and this thread has confirmed we are making a good choice. The rest of the thread has convinced me that taking a cab from the airport is best for me, so for the information I thank you all.

If I may please thread hijack for a minute, please, you seem to be just the person I want to talk to.

I'm sailing out of Hong Kong next April, and have only started researching. It looks to me that my best flight option is Cathay Pacific non-stop from JFK; I can have a car drive me to the airport from home. I don't like changing planes!

But I'm concerned about the food on the plane. It's a long flight, and I will want to eat western food.

So, my question is about that. What sort of food is served on Cathay Pacific? Is it at least palatable? What can you tell me about the meals? I hope to fly business class, but with your experience I am hoping you can help me decide that my plan is all right for me.

My friends have decided we want to stay at the Y, and this thread has confirmed we are making a good choice. The rest of the thread has convinced me that taking a cab from the airport is best for me, so for the information I thank you all.

You plan on flying business class from JFK to HK on Cathay Pacific and you are concerned about the food?!!!! You are kidding right ?

my daughter has flown cathay pacific and said it was the best service she's ever had on a flight. sorry she didn't mention the meals...which must mean they were fine as she would have said something if it wasn't palatable.

this is from their website "wine and dine" category (the website doesn't show up properly for me but you'll get the gist of it): http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_CA/travel-information/inflight/food-and-beverages/wine-and-dine.html

earl roseberry, ruth c asked a legitimate question. that is what this forum is for.

Edited by cdngrl

What sort of food is served on Cathay Pacific? Is it at least palatable? What can you tell me about the meals?
Do you think CX would have got a reputation for being one of the top airlines in the world if the food was not palatable?

For a taster, try going here - http://www.airlinemeals.net/search.php - and searching for Cathay Pacific meals in business class.

You plan on flying business class from JFK to HK on Cathay Pacific and you are concerned about the food?!!!! You are kidding right ?

No, I am not "kidding". Do you have anything to contribute? Any information would be welcome.

Do you think CX would have got a reputation for being one of the top airlines in the world if the food was not palatable?

I don't know anything about that airline, which is why I am asking the question. Is there anything you can tell me about the meals?

For a taster, try going here - http://www.airlinemeals.net/search.php - and searching for Cathay Pacific meals in business class.

I've already been to that website, and it wasn't very helpful. Some of the write-ups, although fairly thorough, were so out of date as to be no help at all.

I don't know anything about that airline, which is why I am asking the question. Is there anything you can tell me about the meals?

I've already been to that website, and it wasn't very helpful. Some of the write-ups, although fairly thorough, were so out of date as to be no help at all.

Just some more recent info about Cathay Pacific for you to consider: http://travelskills.com/?s=cathay+pacific

This thread wandered a long way from Hong Kong hotels while I was out of town!

Maybe I'm lucky (or good at keeping my expectations realistic?). In any event, my expectations for dining when flying are not very high. I do not eat meat so request a meal that will assure me of that, then eat (only) what I want of the meals that are served, and bring a few items from home to munch on if needed.

Knowing that on the day after arrival in HKG I'll be boarding a small cruise ship with assured fine dining, I view the air travel as what needs to be done to get there and back. If the flight and food are wonderful (as would be hoped for/expected in first or business class), lovely; if the experience is only okay but with enough leg room not to be excruciating (this is what I'm expecting in Premium Economy), that's fine too. There's always something on an airplane dinner tray that works for me, e.g., a salad, a roll, fruit, sometimes dessert, and usually a breakfast tray will have items that are okay. If Cathay Pacific's Premium Economy (a new carrier for me) includes appetizing meals that result in dining pleasure, it will be a grand EXTRA on my journey.

I do think it's a good idea to carry something that would stave off hunger, just in case. Many travelers use energy bars or trail mix for this purpose.

I'm not spotting anything in that very lengthy link that applies to my question. Would you please either direct me to where the answers are, or just answer the question directly?

Thanks.

First you said you "didn't know anything about that airline". The link I provided some behind the scenes look at "that airline"'s HQ and how careful they are about food prep and the writers opinion about the food.

Second, as a 30k-plus poster on CC, you know the topic on food that it is very subjective. IMO the food and service is better on Cathay than you will find on any US airline going to Asia. Singapore Air is even better, IMO.

Specifically about the food: The Asian meals are better (fresher) than the Western. But then I head out looking for McDonalds when I'm in Hong Kong.

Edited by Philob

Perhaps my question was too general, and no one is sure what I want to know. Let me clarify:

I am wondering about the choices of food. Is there a menu? How many selections of western style dinner are there likely to be? Is the food spicy, or more bland? If there's nothing appealing in the business selection, is it possible to order from the coach offerings? Are there snacks in the galley available between meal service times? If yes, can you give any examples: Fruit? Muffins? Candy bars? Bags of chips or nuts? There's a world of difference in those snack choices.

Nothing the matter with McDonald's---they are known world-wide for clean restrooms (and the chicken nuggets aren't bad, either. ;))

this is from the link I provided earlier:

What’s on the Menu

Taste, authenticity and freshness of our in-flight meals are essential. Our menus, featuring a wide range of cuisines from around the world, are carefully prepared to give our passengers a choice of meals to suit their needs.

Creating our range of Signature Chinese dishes has been a labour of love. Carefully prepared and selected by our Chinese food culinary team, the dishes are truly a taste of Hong Kong and China. In First and Business Class, the Chinese main course is served with a bowl of steaming hot jasmine rice.

Prepared to Order

In First Class, we were one of the first airlines to have rice cookers, toasters and skillets on board our aircraft, enabling our flight attendants to prepare freshly steamed rice, toasted bread and eggs cooked to your liking. Also in First Class, our passengers can dine à la carte by choosing when they prefer to eat.

Freshly Brewed for You

In First and Business Class on most of our flights, try a freshly made Espresso, Cafe Latté or Cappuccino, or a nice cup of Chinese tea in all classes to strike a perfect finale to your meal.

Oodles of noodles

What better than a bowl of hot noodle soup either to tide you over or as a meal choice. In First and Business Class on selected routes to and from Hong Kong, we feature regional noodle soups that are the perfect light meal.

Snacks on long-haul flights

We keep our galleys stocked up with a variety of tasty treats such as noodle soup, sandwiches, cookies and apples. So the next time you are feeling a little peckish…just ask one of our flight attendants.