Liberty 24-31 May not impressed review

Ship was nice with the 2.0 Fun Ship upgrades. We have sailed on 7 previous Carnival cruises and this ship is by far at the bottom of the barrel with regards to service and cleanliness.

First off our balcony cabin 7393 was not within the 73 degree Carnival temperature standard for the first two nights. Other guests we met on board had similar cabin temp. issues on lower decks. After two nights of telling guest services and our cabin steward about the problem, the temperature problem was corrected to a more bearable condition, but not as cool as we have experienced on other ships. The cabin also appeared to have dust on the furnishings and streaks of dirt on the mirrors. We told the cabin steward to correct the problem and he did clean up the problem.

The staff on board we encountered did not seem to be friendly and attentive with everyone. I like to visit the sports bar on every ship that has one of these bars, to buy a pint of Bud Light. During several nights one bar staff member was more focused on the game on TV than my desire to have a beer poured. Two other staff members who have worked the bar were more attentive to customers, but they were not there every night. In the dining room our wait staff seemed friendly, but some nights we felt very rushed to eat dinner and leave. I need to mention the dining room was never completely full during early dining. Also, the food in several locations on the ship were just barely warm and not hot. The food temp issue was on the lido and in the Golden Olympic dining room.

Finally, during the early morning hours prior to our docking in San Juan I experienced severe cramping and did not think I would be able to go on our shore excursion. Fortunately the cramping subsided enough for me to go ashore with several rest room visits while visiting San Juan. I found out during the last night of the cruise from a fellow passenger they were told by Carnival staff at Port Canaveral someone on the previous cruise had gastrointestinal illness and the ship needed to be disinfected before we embarked from Port Canaveral. I was not sure if my bout with severe cramping was related or if I had eaten something in St Thomas that caused food poisoning. I believe today that the source of my issue was due to the ship cleanliness in our cabin and food temp. as mentioned earlier.

Don't get me wrong with the negative tone of my review as all the other Carnival ships we have sailed on are great ships. We just do not believe the Liberty is that great of a ship and some of the staff need better training. We are already booked on the Sunshine and look forward to that voyage.

I'm surprised to hear this as Liberty was excellent in December. Are crew was great and the whole ship was sparkling clean. Sorry to hear things weren't as good for you.I'm not sure you can blame your stomach illness on the ship as you could of just eaten something that didn't agree with you and nothing to do with a cruise ship virus.

I had read on Cruise Critic that a very recent sailing on Liberty had MANY people sick. I am going on this boat next Saturday and I sure hope it got a serious scrub down!

I'm sailing with you on the Liberty....and I will be bringing stuff to clean my room and have a serious conversation with my 13 year old about hand washing and antibac!

Sorry to hear about what your experience was on the Liberty. Saddens me a bit since she's, to this date, the best Carnival ship I've ever sailed on, but in all fairness, it's been a few years.

I've learned the hard way about cleanliness issues. Even with frequent hand washing and sanitizing, I still managed to get violently ill on my last Holland America cruise, as well as on a previous Carnival cruise. I've now learned to avoid food items and places that are more likely to get contaminated.

Hope you have a better time on the Sunshine. Do go prepared and set some realistic expectations. The Sunshine satisfaction ratings are considerably lower than those for the Liberty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

With the implementation of FTTF which I love as being Platinum it allows us early access to our cabin as well as early luggage. However our cruise last fall on the Liberty prompted me for the first time in 14 cruises to bring a package of Clorox wipes with us when we boarded the Dream in April. When we first started cruising back in 2007 the cabins were immaculate when we boarded. Now I've noticed in the past few cruises that our cabin has traces of previous guests when we first board. Toothpaste on the sink shelves, dust and sticky residue on the desk area were all noticeable in our cabin on the Liberty. Our room steward did take care of it but it left me feeling that cleanings are quicker and more rushed now.

When we boarded the Dream I had my to go pack of Clorox wipes and wiped all of the surfaces down. I am totally not a germaphobic but seeing the trend towards faster turn around and traces of previous guests I will make sure I carry my wipes on each cruise.

With the implementation of FTTF which I love as being Platinum it allows us early access to our cabin as well as early luggage. However our cruise last fall on the Liberty prompted me for the first time in 14 cruises to bring a package of Clorox wipes with us when we boarded the Dream in April. When we first started cruising back in 2007 the cabins were immaculate when we boarded. Now I've noticed in the past few cruises that our cabin has traces of previous guests when we first board. Toothpaste on the sink shelves, dust and sticky residue on the desk area were all noticeable in our cabin on the Liberty. Our room steward did take care of it but it left me feeling that cleanings are quicker and more rushed now.

I think you nailed it. They are so rushed to get the cabins ready they can't / aren't doing a thorough job of cleaning. When I boarded the Legend in May there was a wine glass on my balcony with a cigarette butt in it. Somebody had been using the glass as an ash tray. Not a big deal just not a pleasant way to be welcomed to your room. After that the room was spotless and the steward received extra tip money.

Ship was nice with the 2.0 Fun Ship upgrades. We have sailed on 7 previous Carnival cruises and this ship is by far at the bottom of the barrel with regards to service and cleanliness.

First off our balcony cabin 7393 was not within the 73 degree Carnival temperature standard for the first two nights. Other guests we met on board had similar cabin temp. issues on lower decks. After two nights of telling guest services and our cabin steward about the problem, the temperature problem was corrected to a more bearable condition, but not as cool as we have experienced on other ships. The cabin also appeared to have dust on the furnishings and streaks of dirt on the mirrors. We told the cabin steward to correct the problem and he did clean up the problem.

The staff on board we encountered did not seem to be friendly and attentive with everyone. I like to visit the sports bar on every ship that has one of these bars, to buy a pint of Bud Light. During several nights one bar staff member was more focused on the game on TV than my desire to have a beer poured. Two other staff members who have worked the bar were more attentive to customers, but they were not there every night. In the dining room our wait staff seemed friendly, but some nights we felt very rushed to eat dinner and leave. I need to mention the dining room was never completely full during early dining. Also, the food in several locations on the ship were just barely warm and not hot. The food temp issue was on the lido and in the Golden Olympic dining room.

Finally, during the early morning hours prior to our docking in San Juan I experienced severe cramping and did not think I would be able to go on our shore excursion. Fortunately the cramping subsided enough for me to go ashore with several rest room visits while visiting San Juan. I found out during the last night of the cruise from a fellow passenger they were told by Carnival staff at Port Canaveral someone on the previous cruise had gastrointestinal illness and the ship needed to be disinfected before we embarked from Port Canaveral. I was not sure if my bout with severe cramping was related or if I had eaten something in St Thomas that caused food poisoning. I believe today that the source of my issue was due to the ship cleanliness in our cabin and food temp. as mentioned earlier.

Don't get me wrong with the negative tone of my review as all the other Carnival ships we have sailed on are great ships. We just do not believe the Liberty is that great of a ship and some of the staff need better training. We are already booked on the Sunshine and look forward to that voyage.

We did a B2B on Liberty this past January when it still sailed out of Miami. Our experience was totally different than yours. We were in the Silver MDR, had an excellent waitstaff, and great food.

We rarely ate at the lido and when we did for lunch, we either went to Guys or the Deli. We ate our breakfast in the MDR.

I think you nailed it. They are so rushed to get the cabins ready they can't / aren't doing a thorough job of cleaning.

Maybe the cruise lines should do away with early cabin availability because this is a big part of the problem. Kind of like everything else people want everything now and it comes at a cost. I blame the consumer as well as the cruise line.

I'm kind of a germaphobe so I'll for sure try to wipe some things down. I'd love to know if all the sickness on the recent sailing was true. If it is, I hope there is some protocol they follow to get it sanitized.

We were on this cruise as well, and our review is coming. I will say that you were not the only one who experienced these problems. I always take supplies to clean, because I like that extra precaution. I was wiping down the bathroom in one of our cabins (we had 2), and the toilet had dried urine and fecal matter, as well as numerous hairs stuck to the back side of the seat. There was dried urine in the floor, etc. The entire cabin was quite dirty, including floors that had not been vacuumed and trash kicked under the bed. More to come in our review, but after the "extra cleaning" for the previous cruises increased number of GI viruses, it was just really gross. More things happened to include really bad food and service. We do not like to give bad reviews, and we try to make the best, but this cruise went too far.

I do agree with what was said on earlier postings for this topic. But, Carnival is doing the best they can do with the low rates they offer. I agree that there are not as many activities or as much pampering as there was many years ago. Nightly dancing shows are gone now too. But, prices are also lower than they were years ago even though Carnival expenses have risen (I assume). My husband complained at the end of the Liberty cruise we left yesterday. We divided the full cost, including taxes, of our trip by seven nights. That put things in better perspective for him. We know that we will have to pay more to, maybe, get more elsewhere. Carnival is reaching their target audience with lower rates. Perhaps this "audience" prefers the loud DJ music in the main pool area over some of the things we enjoyed about cruising many years ago. Who knows how much they have needed to cut back in dining and cabin stewards.

We will continue cruising with Carnival despite the changes we have seen. The rooms are clean enough, the food is good enough, and they've offered me quiet areas away from the loud (and sometimes offensive) music. The prices are excellent for what we are given. I give Carnival excellent ratings but perspective must be considered. I don't expect top service and comforts at clearance prices! Priced a Disney cruise lately? I think we'll continue with Carnival for our grandson too!

Sorry to hear about the cleanliness issues. Last cruise on Splendor we really took notice at how hard the staff worked to keep it the cleanest ship we've sailed so far. I always bring Clorox wipes with me to wipe down surfaces in the cabin, especially the remote and do lots of hand washing in addition to sanitizer.

Sorry to hear about the cleanliness issues. Last cruise on Splendor we really took notice at how hard the staff worked to keep it the cleanest ship we've sailed so far. I always bring Clorox wipes with me to wipe down surfaces in the cabin, especially the remote and do lots of hand washing in addition to sanitizer.

We have sailed a lot. Mostly on Carnival. I have had Norvo Once. On Princess.

One..it is true to wash your hands a lot. I carry the largest bottle of hand sanitizer I can buy and put it on the desk by the phone. I wipe down phones..toilet handles door knows fridge opener with cleaning wipes.

In all of the ships I have sailed on Carnival..Never norvo. Hope I am not jinxing them.

Loved Liberty soooo much have ONLY sailed on her. And last cruise was October. Would go again in a heartbeat. Never got sick or knew anyone that did but viruses can come on board at any time. Our treatment was beyond excellent by the staff. Sometimes I think they, as most people do, mirror what they get from the customers

I had norovirus 3 years ago without ever stepping on a cruise ship.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

We just sailed the Disney Fantasy, the #1 ship in the universe according to Cruise Critic. I got norovirus and there was head lice in the kids club. And I wasn't that impressed with the service either. These types of problems are not restricted to low cost cruise lines. Can't wait for my Liberty cruise next year!

We were on Liberty the week before you. It was our second sailing on Liberty and we had an excellent experience. We were in balcony rooms 8422 and 8426. The staff were excellent and yes, a few hundred got sick. I do not know the exact reason but we were lucky and did not. A part of me wondered if people got sick because in Florida the days before the cruise there were warnings of tainted meat in stores and restaurants.

As for the complaints about the room hot, we too thought the room a little warm this cruise and last cruise. However, we learned to keep lights off when we were out of the room and to keep balcony drapes closed if not in room. That improved the temp by at least a couple of degrees. I need a cool room to sleep and had no problems.

As for the staff, we were extremely pleased. Every one smiled and spoke upon passing. Our waiters from last Sept. Even remembered us and greeted us, one of them remembered my name.

We dined in the Golden Olympian DR the first night as we had your time dining. That was not for us and we switched to early and our old Silver Olympian DR. There were a few dishes that were cold in the Golden the first night. However, when we switched we did not have that problem at all.

I'm sorry your cruise was disappointing. However, we were very satisfied and very much liked Port Canaveral and loved Liberty. I just wish I could plan another cruise right now. If so, it would likely be a different itinerary on Liberty.

We are sailing on the Liberty in early July. I think I'll pack some Clorox wipes and Lysol hand sanitizer....just to be extra careful!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Without turning this to another Noro thread...

You do realize that the noro virus, as per CDC, is not eliminated by popular disinfecting sprays, cremes and wipes...:( You would need REAL Chlorox bleach.

Washy, Washy!!!

FYI: it is the only common virus that can infect via clothing...not just hard surfaces.

More good news, the infected are still infectious up to 3 weeks after the symptoms are gone. The crew are often unknowingly, after feeling better, returned to their responsibilities....Do the math:eek:

Question: How many people fail to rewash their hands after using tongs and serving implements, handled by dozens before their arrival?

That's like using someone else's spoons and forks:eek:

Enjoy!

Al out

Edited by albether7

Without turning this to another Noro thread...

You do realize that the noro virus, as per CDC, is not eliminated by popular disinfecting sprays, cremes and wipes...:( You would need REAL Chlorox bleach.

Washy, Washy!!!

FYI: it is the only common virus that can infect via clothing...not just hard surfaces.

More good news, the infected are still infectious up to 3 weeks after the symptoms are gone. The crew are often unknowingly, after feeling better, returned to their responsibilities....Do the math:eek:

Question: How many people fail to rewash their hands after using tongs and serving implements, handled by dozens before their arrival?

That's like using someone else's spoons and forks:eek:

Enjoy!

Al out

Good point....and honestly? No, I've never really done my research on the norovirus. All I know is that I don't want to get it!

That's a gross thought about the tongs and servicing spoons, etc. You're right, though. :eek:

I'm surprised to hear this as Liberty was excellent in December. Are crew was great and the whole ship was sparkling clean. Sorry to hear things weren't as good for you.I'm not sure you can blame your stomach illness on the ship as you could of just eaten something that didn't agree with you and nothing to do with a cruise ship virus.

I was on this cruise with Midwest, and this was our third carnival cruise. The food and service was excellent. Sorry to hear about the problems you had hopefully the next cruise will be good!:D