Eurodam or NA aft verandah cabins

CCKelly

We are thinking of trying an aft verandah on either Eurodam or NA on a Caribbean cruise later this year. I thought I had read that the Level 7 balconies were longer than the balconies below, but I can't really see that by looking at the deck plans. Or perhaps I misunderstood and the interior portion of the cabin is longer? Can anyone clarify this for me? Level 8 is directly below the Lido I believe so I think that would not be my best choice. Also, has anyone noticed more "vibration" at this aft location than more towards the midship? We have been on Eurodam previously and the only place we noticed vibration was our second dinner at Tamarind (but not the first time we went there). Our cabin was quite near aft on that cruise (4166) and we did not notice any vibration. However, we were in a near aft cabin on Prisendam several years ago with terrible vibration (very hard to sleep at night), so maybe I am a bit overly concerned. I do think the view out back would be nice and I understand that you are more protected from the wind so the balcony is more usable while the ship is moving.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments!

I believe you are talking about cabins on the stern of the ship. Just to clarify nautical terms: "aft" is a direction, not a location e.g. "Aft of the center staircase" or "Aft of the Lido buffet is the pool on the stern". Cabin 4003 is aft of 4001 and cabin 4181 is a stern cabin.

Edited by Boytjie

I thought I had read that the Level 7 balconies were longer than the balconies below, but I can't really see that by looking at the deck plans.
This is correct, but it doesn't show on the deck plans.

As far as I can see, deck 8 aft balconies are about the same depth at deck 7 aft balconies. But they will suffer from noise from the deck above, as you say.

This is correct, but it doesn't show on the deck plans.

As far as I can see, deck 8 aft balconies are about the same depth at deck 7 aft balconies. But they will suffer from noise from the deck above, as you say.

Thanks Globaliser, If we have a choice, then I think we will try deck 7.

I believe you are talking about cabins on the stern of the ship. Just to clarify nautical terms: "aft" is a direction, not a location e.g. "Aft of the center staircase" or "Aft of the Lido buffet is the pool on the stern". Cabin 4003 is aft of 4001 and cabin 4181 is a stern cabin.

Boytjie, I believe that "Aft Verandahs" are what these cabins are commonly referred to here on the HAL Cruise Critic forum. So you may need to lecture a lot of people on the board about that usage if you find it irritating.

Boytjie, I believe that "Aft Verandahs" are what these cabins are commonly referred to here on the HAL Cruise Critic forum. So you may need to lecture a lot of people on the board about that usage if you find it irritating.
Yes, but if we can educate and convert just one person each time we explain it, then perhaps eventually the correct terminology will become the norm. ;)

I had 5190 on the NA on the crossing to Spain. No problem with vibrations, but the verandah was very hot in the afternoon sun, especially with not feeling a breeze. Don't know I would like that location in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are thinking of trying an aft verandah on either Eurodam or NA on a Caribbean cruise later this year. I thought I had read that the Level 7 balconies were longer than the balconies below, but I can't really see that by looking at the deck plans.

The deck 7 aft verandahs are slightly deeper, it is really not that much.

There was no considerable more vibration.

We stayed at an aft neptune last month and we loved the view over the sea.

Also please consider looking at teh website of halfacts.com where there are some samples/photos etc about both ships' aft cabins.

Also you are near the staircase to go up for 2 floors the to Lido, it is only a quick jump up for meals or pooldip.

Yet "port" and "starboard" is mostly used correctly even if some think "left" and "right". :). Maybe we can get "front" and "back" sorted out too. ;)

Edited by Boytjie

No problem with vibrations, but the verandah was very hot in the afternoon sun, especially with not feeling a breeze.
If anyone really doesn't want sun, then deck 8 might be an option as it's fully covered (indeed, there's an overhang).
The deck 7 aft verandahs are slightly deeper, it is really not that much.
It's only a couple of feet, but the difference makes it possible to get a lounger into the fully flat position in the fore-and-aft direction.

We did the Eurodam earlier this year and had an aft verandah on deck 5 and though not on 7 or 8, I can say we didn't really notice any vibration to speak of. We really enjoyed being in the back of the ship for our verandah. I planned the that cruise and booked our first aft cabin as a surprise to my DH and for our upcoming cruise, he also booked an aft as he really seemed to enjoy it.

I also thought it less windy than I experienced on other cruises. I get chilled very easily so would rather the warmth than any chance of chill due to the wind.

We have had an aft cabin on a transatlantic crossing and on a caribbean cruise. It was perfect for the TA crossing as we were protected from winds and rain. Didn't like it in the caribbean as it was just to hot. Not much air movement. It would be perfect for Alaska or Canada/New England sailings.

We were in an aft Neptune Suite I think on deck 6. It was wonderful having that wrap around deck. We did not notice any vibration and the noise was minimal. The sun was bright on some days as it was a Caribbean cruise but in early November last year.

We have had an aft cabin on a transatlantic crossing and on a caribbean cruise. It was perfect for the TA crossing as we were protected from winds and rain. Didn't like it in the caribbean as it was just to hot. Not much air movement. It would be perfect for Alaska or Canada/New England sailings.
That's what we thought, too, and I'm so glad we booked one (on Deck 7 yet).

We're booked into Cabin 7143 on the Eurodam for the 2014 14 day Holiday Cruise, have heard and read much good about them so we thought we would give it a try.

I understand a portion is in the sun but if need be you can back ulp to get out of the sun, also heard the ships wake is calming.

I guess we will just have to try one of these cabins to see if we really like it!
You might not be sure the first time. It could require another cruise to really find out. But even then you might not be sure, and you'd have to repeat the remedy.

Just returned from having aft 7139 on the Eurodam. Yes, the cabin was surprisingly larger than most, and the balcony was deep. BUT.... I would NOT recommend this cabin for two reasons. The first (and worst) was that we could hear at least five different nearby toilets flushing loudly (one was a very annoying crashing sound). I realize that hearing some plumbing is normal, but I've never experienced this before on any ship. Secondly (and this is not due to the ship) is that the cabin next to ours was a suite, and they had lots of family on board who were constantly in and out of the cabin and slamming doors. The suite door is right at 7139's door, so the noise really carried into this cabin.

We did love the location though.... especially for the Lido and the Sunset Bar. I would recommend deck 7, but perhaps it would be quieter in the center of the stern.

We were in 7132, the aft wraparound on the port side of the Eurodam for the 12 day Baltic cruise that ended this week. When we were off the ship, we could look up and see that the side portion of our balcony was longer than that of other wraparounds, and we did appreciate that we could be comfortably on the back portion of our balcony when it was noticeably more windy therefore cooler on the side portion. The cabin itself was deeper from the door to the balcony so there was noticeably more room on either side of the bed, but less room between the foot of the bed and the couch and coffee table. We did not notice any additional vibration and were not bothered by noise from above or from adjacent cabins.

While we thoroughly enjoyed the novelty of having the aft view, the wraparound balcony and, of course, the advantages of a Neptune Suite, we've decided we probably wouldn't book it again because of the distance to the Neptune Lounge and the Crow's Nest. It was a full 2 minute walk to the Lounge and, of course, the Crow's Nest was the full length of the ship from our cabin. On the other hand, those distances helped us keep our weight gain to zero on this cruise!