REVIEW -Explorer - 8th Time is not the Charm

OMG... You must have read my mind (scary thought)... I just booked another cruise... taking my sister and her hubby with us!! June 2015...

If you are ever on a cruise with me I'll buy you a drink!! :D

I'll accept but after that the next 5 are mine as long as you agree to drink different colors for each.

Thank you for the through and very entertaining review! :D I enjoy and appreciate your point of view.

I will look for the pictures that I heard about from somewhere, but I'm sure it wasn't here! :rolleyes:

BTW, your GD is very pretty, I can imagine why she has captured so many hearts - good luck in about 10 years! ;)

Being in Explorer in Feb. I would definitely agree that the crew seemed absolutely exhausted, more so than normal. They are clearly understaffed and it is affecting service. Taking 30 min. From the time we sit in MDR to being OFFERED an alcoholic beverage is just unacceptable. Sometimes it would be 7:30 and I still hadn't got back my seapass card. RCI needs to realize that the more bar staff the higher revenue, as many do not buy the drink packages and just have maybe one or two heavier drinking nights per cruise.

I am confused as to how lowering staffing increases their bottom line that significantly given that they pay them peanuts to begin with and rely on gratuities for most of their salary. I realize each person still requires ship resources (food, laundry, water, etc.). But cutting staff to the point where service is notably decreased eventually will have diminished returns. I guess the problem lies in us, the consumer. As JG posted, he will sail Royal again, and so will I. So we are still putting up with the cuts as it is still a good deal and still fun, and the other cruise lines are likely not better until you get to luxury level.

I guess the question RCI is asking, is how much can we cut till people stop coming back? Then you have to ask yourself, would they rather have a newer crowd of inexperienced cruisers who will spend more money on board than a loyal bunch who are more "efficient" in their cruise spending habits?

I guess the question RCI is asking, is how much can we cut till people stop coming back? Then you have to ask yourself, would they rather have a newer crowd of inexperienced cruisers who will spend more money on board than a loyal bunch who are more "efficient" in their cruise spending habits?

I'm surprised by under-staffing as well. Usually, people will come back saying, 'well the WJ wasn't so hot, and the food was just ok, but the service was excellent'.

If you take away excellent service all you have left is mediocre food, worsening itineraries, and the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers.

As to be expected, a very witty review...really enjoyed it.:) However, no sympathy from me with your mal de mer which is more than offset by your gal de mer! (gals de mer?)

Thanks Jack. That's always good to here from the God of All Things About Reviews. I hereby dub you GOATAR for this Board. It may also come in handy in case you go to the Middle East (at least the goat part) or other strange planets.

The mal of the mer is treatable as I describe. The gal of the mer, not so much. It's an expensive addiction. LOL

Edited by JohnGaltny

Thank you for the through and very entertaining review! :D I enjoy and appreciate your point of view.

I will look for the pictures that I heard about from somewhere, but I'm sure it wasn't here! :rolleyes:

BTW, your GD is very pretty, I can imagine why she has captured so many hearts - good luck in about 10 years! ;)

Thanks Norwane. I appreciate the appreciation. LOL I hope you find those images that I NEVER, EVER, EVER talk about on here. The SOPOs are everywhere. ;)

As for my GD, I tell her parents all the time she is going to need watching when she's 13.:D

Edited by JohnGaltny

Being in Explorer in Feb. I would definitely agree that the crew seemed absolutely exhausted, more so than normal. They are clearly understaffed and it is affecting service. Taking 30 min. From the time we sit in MDR to being OFFERED an alcoholic beverage is just unacceptable. Sometimes it would be 7:30 and I still hadn't got back my seapass card. RCI needs to realize that the more bar staff the higher revenue, as many do not buy the drink packages and just have maybe one or two heavier drinking nights per cruise.

I am confused as to how lowering staffing increases their bottom line that significantly given that they pay them peanuts to begin with and rely on gratuities for most of their salary. I realize each person still requires ship resources (food, laundry, water, etc.). But cutting staff to the point where service is notably decreased eventually will have diminished returns. I guess the problem lies in us, the consumer. As JG posted, he will sail Royal again, and so will I. So we are still putting up with the cuts as it is still a good deal and still fun, and the other cruise lines are likely not better until you get to luxury level.

Actually, since I posted my original comments in "that other" thread I've seen more of this response than I ever expected.:( I truly am an RCI fanboy but I'm not blind or hallucinatory. RCI needs to reverse this trend and I, for on, am rooting for them to do so.

I'm surprised by under-staffing as well. Usually, people will come back saying, 'well the WJ wasn't so hot, and the food was just ok, but the service was excellent'.

If you take away excellent service all you have left is mediocre food, worsening itineraries, and the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers.

Yep and that would be a shame.

Hey John galt NY... do you have a black car with your screen name on the license? I think I saw you parked near my office on the upper east side recently!!:)

I enjoyed your review, thanks for sharing your experiences and your perspective... both on the cruise and on the critics!!:p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your review.. we will be going on the Explorer the end of July,.. it will be our 2nd time on it..

I liked your review for your honesty..

I like seeing everyone's reviews of cruises and then going on the ship to see if I notice the same things...

Keep up the reviews!!:)

Any response yet from RCCL on "That" issue? I would have expected at least an acknowledgement by now!

Well the Poobahs of Cruise Critic closed my Open Letter thread and have not bothered to tell me why (I made THAT request in private) so I will update at the first thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046284

I did an update this morning reporting that I have heard nothing after 10 days but also figuring it may take a bit longer for Royal corporate to get off it's collective butt. I will update on Monday every week for 2 months, or until Admin shuts that one down too.

Hey John galt NY... do you have a black car with your screen name on the license? I think I saw you parked near my office on the upper east side recently!!:)

I enjoyed your review, thanks for sharing your experiences and your perspective... both on the cruise and on the critics!!:p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Thanks Empress. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I haven't got a black car and I wouldn't have a vanity plate if you held a gun in my mouth. However, I'm glad you alerted me to the fact that there is an imposter out there.:D

Thank you for your review.. we will be going on the Explorer the end of July,.. it will be our 2nd time on it..

I liked your review for your honesty..

I like seeing everyone's reviews of cruises and then going on the ship to see if I notice the same things...

Keep up the reviews!!

Thanks Meg. I love Explorer and I'm sure you will too. I just hope that Royal gets back the "intangible" feel I missed so much. Actually, I sincerely hope that you come back from your cruise thinking I'm an idiot and that everything I said was total BS. If that happens, we'll know RCI is on the way back.

In my reviews I try to be "fair and balanced" (to steal a catch phrase) and it's actually easier for me to be funny when things go a bit screwy. I have been on "perfect" cruises (like my first Explorer cruise) and those are really tough to review for me.

Edited by JohnGaltny