Best way to transport water and pop on board?

CobbClan

FOr our last cruise, we just grabbed a 12 pack of pop at a local store and carried it onboard in a shopping bag. I have seen passengers with several cases strapped to the handles of their carry on bags, like you would a briefcase.

We put two 12-packs in a piece of rolling luggage and carry it on with us. Then at the end of the cruise, we've got an empty bag for our souvenirs or other stuff that doesn't seem to fit in our bags anymore.

Now that cabins are available upon boarding, it's a quick thing to drop the bag off at the room.

One thing to consider - you can bring more water and pop onboard at any of your ports. We do this sometimes to avoid having to handle so much stuff the first day.

DaveOKC

This is what I suggest.

You can carry a reasonable amount when you embark and pick up more as you need it along the way.

No need to lug cases and loads of water and soda along with your suitcases and carryons on embarkation day. :)

Personally I think the porters and crew have enough on their hands with regular luggage. Checking in cases of soda/water is not only tacky, but its just more items that have to be delivered to staterooms. Imagine if every passenger checked in a case of this or that. It would certainly slow down the process of getting everyone's luggage to their rooms.

Bring what you can carry on board with you and then buy more when in port as needed.

Personally I think the porters and crew have enough on their hands with regular luggage. Checking in cases of soda/water is not only tacky, but its just more items that have to be delivered to staterooms. Imagine if every passenger checked in a case of this or that. It would certainly slow down the process of getting everyone's luggage to their rooms.

Bring what you can carry on board with you and then buy more when in port as needed.

Your "tacky" may be my preventive. Trust me, you don't want to be on the ship with me if I don't have a diet Mt. Dew in the morning. The ship doesn't have it. It would be good to know where to get it in Sitka tho

That said, I plan to leave room in my [very expandable] bag for a 12 pack instead of slapping a label on it. My carry on will be heavy enough with the wine in it.

Edited by Mytime2014

We have a duffle bag (carry on size) that a case of water fits in there just perfectly! I can sometimes add some Pop, and this last time, I added the 2 bottles of wine that we can carry on!! We then wheel it on. My sister one time put 12 pack of pop in her check luggage and some of them exploded!!! so not a good idea!

Of course you can bring more soda on at each port. However, I'd rather know I have the soda I want (some brands/variations are harder to find), pay the sale price I can find locally, and spend my time exploring the port than looking for a grocery store.

YMMV.

...Checking in cases of soda/water is not only tacky, but its just more items that have to be delivered to staterooms....Bring what you can carry on board with you and then buy more when in port as needed.

I don't understand where you have earned the authority of telling other passengers what they may or ought not do.

Scott & Karen

We always bring one case of water and soda. We slap a luggage tag on them and it gets delivered to our cabin with the luggage. Never considered we are tacky. If cruise lines have a problem with this, they would change their rules.

Soda, sure -- but why water? I do wonder though how to handle the empty cans/bottles at debarkation so as not to lose the deposit.

deposit????? oh, I remember that from Michigan. Is there a can deposit in Seattle - which is where I am hoping to pick up the Mt. Dew.

I don't understand where you have earned the authority of telling other passengers what they may or ought not do.

Scott & Karen

LOL! I really don't give a rat's a$$ what you do, but I do have the right to say what I think of it!!

If you bring your own soft drinks and water with you, how do you carry it? Do you check it like luggage? With a tag? Is it awkward?

I can understand the soda, but for water the ship's purification process results in a better quality product than the vast majority of bottled waters. So I would say the best way for water is your stateroon faucet and a refillable sports bottle.

We always bring one case of water and soda. We slap a luggage tag on them and it gets delivered to our cabin with the luggage. Never considered we are tacky. If cruise lines have a problem with this, they would change their rules.

And they may just do that like they did for wine. My thought is if I can't carry it on myself I'm not bringing it. The stewards have enough to do already.

deposit????? oh, I remember that from Michigan. Is there a can deposit in Seattle - which is where I am hoping to pick up the Mt. Dew.

I was kidding, of course, but if someone is going to go through the hassle of toting soda on board to save the price differential, why would they not want to go through a bit more and maximize their savings by getting the deposit back on bottles/cans after de barking?

Of course you can bring more soda on at each port. However, I'd rather know I have the soda I want (some brands/variations are harder to find), pay the sale price I can find locally, and spend my time exploring the port than looking for a grocery store.

YMMV.

Agree. On our recent cruise, we stocked up on Dr. Pepper. Not available on board, nor in most of the ports we were visiting.

Like the wine policy?

I'm curious and not being snarky here. When you slap a luggage tag on your case of water or cases of soda ... how do you think it gets to your cabin? From what I have observed, it gets put in a cage with assorted luggage and transported onto the ship. Does anyone think the group that loads those cages personally take your liquids onboard by hand? If your liquids leak all over my suitcases - who has responsibility for that? I'm just curious.

This is what I suggest.

You can carry a reasonable amount when you embark and pick up more as you need it along the way.

No need to lug cases and loads of water and soda along with your suitcases and carryons on embarkation day. :)

But I only like Canada Dry ginger ale. So I'm going to buy a case of 24 in Vancouver (there is a Shopper's Drug Mart near the pier) and use a bunge cord to strap the bag to my suitcase. Wish HAL would buy Canada Dry:)

HAL use to sell soda with your liquor, but they have now stopped the practice. I wish they would just sell it by the case as a pre-boarding item. I hate lugging my two cases of canada dry onboard. For a small extra charge I would just order it with my gin.

I'm curious and not being snarky here. When you slap a luggage tag on your case of water or cases of soda ... how do you think it gets to your cabin? From what I have observed, it gets put in a cage with assorted luggage and transported onto the ship. Does anyone think the group that loads those cages personally take your liquids onboard by hand? If your liquids leak all over my suitcases - who has responsibility for that? I'm just curious.

This is the problem when a cruiseline doesn't specify that the beverages MUST be carried on board by hand. Disney does specify that, and if you put beverages in your luggage and those beverages leak out and damage other luggage, YOU are responsible for paying for any damages caused. I'm assuming from this that HAL does not have such restrictions, so I doubt they could hold anyone responsible for damages.