Canada Cruise Decisions

Deep68

Requesting input from fellow cruise critic members.

Trying to decide between an August Maasdam cruise from Boston to Montreal or a Veendam itinerary from Boston to Quebec City

I like the idea of overnight in Quebec City as many people say there is a lot to see there. If we choose this itinerary we would head to Montreal post cruise for one or two night.

On the flip side the convenience of the cruise itself ending in Montreal is great as we would not have to organize transportation between the two cities.

We have sailed on the Maasdam before but not on Veendam. However I am not sure if the ship is as important as the itinerary in this case.

Such a dilemma!

If you can keep your luggage to something reasonable the train to Montreal would be a great alternative with both stations right in the heart of town.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/baggage/carry-baggage

Roy

And the train also gives you reserved seating, always included with the price of your ticket regardless if you are in business or coach class.

And for cheaper fares, the Via Rail folks have a sale every Tuesday.

We are booked Boston to Quebec later this month. We chose not to go to Montreal because we are flying home the day we disembark and thought that the extra time in Quebec was worth it versus going to Montreal just to use the airport.

Personally, I would go to Montreal. Quebec is lovely and I really enjoy being there, but sailing into Montreal in the early morning gives me one of the best views in the world -- sunrise through Habitat '67. Also, so few cruises go to Montreal, it makes it a really special experience.

Even if you only fly out of Montreal rather than stay to see any of the city, I'd still do that cruise. Flying out of Montreal to the US is easier than flying out of Quebec. You can pre-clear US Customs/Immigration from Montreal and proceed when you land as though you were on a domestic flight. That alone would tip the balance for me. But sunrise through Habitat is really worth seeing.

On the Montreal to Fort Lauderdale re-positioning aboard the Maasdam not too long ago, I was most pleased. Montreal has so much to offer for the tourist. The not-to-often-visited ports on this cruise by the Maasdam was a major attraction for me. And, the city of Montreal was quite interesting to visit. I stayed at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel pre-cruise. And, I would recommend that if you choose to do so as well that you join the Fairmont's President's Club before you depart. Even as a brand new member, there were "perks" that I did not expect.