Need Advice Regarding Shipboard Doctor

troysail

Does anyone have any idea whether shipboard doctors are able to give guests antibiotics? We're traveling on the Sunshine this Saturday and my son was just diagnosed with swimmer's ear. We are giving him ear drops as prescribed but a couple of years ago he had this for the first time and we wound up in the ER because he developed a severe infection with a high fever. Our doctor doesn't want to prescribe an antibiotic since his situation doesn't warrant it right now. We're hoping for the best but want to be prepared for the worst! I called Carnival but wasn't given a direct answer about this.

Edited by troysail

Just remember that the doctors on the ship do not take your health insurance, and are not cheap, and neither is the medicine. Also, they are not pediatricians (so their bedside manner with little one may not be the best), and their office hours will be limited - think maybe 3 hours a day. A few years ago, our then 11 month old had an ear infection, and we went to the doctor onboard. He is allergic to penicillin, so we lucky that they had non-penicillin based antibiotics onboard. All told, with the exam and medicine, the bill came close to $200.

for 3 seconds..w/ the CONTRACT Dr...for me to tell him I needed a Zpak for my throat......I did get his (USA) physicians #..for my insurance. Now, I have Medical Ins. for my trips out of the country. $199per year.....very cheeep for the peace of mind.....covers my cruzin, n trips abroad. GeoBlue!

Just remember that the doctors on the ship do not take your health insurance, and are not cheap, and neither is the medicine. Also, they are not pediatricians (so their bedside manner with little one may not be the best), and their office hours will be limited - think maybe 3 hours a day. A few years ago, our then 11 month old had an ear infection, and we went to the doctor onboard. He is allergic to penicillin, so we lucky that they had non-penicillin based antibiotics onboard. All told, with the exam and medicine, the bill came close to $200.

Was that with or without supplemental insurance (like what Carnival offers)?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Since you are leaving on Saturday, I would call and ask the dr. to give you the script for the abx and you will fill and hold them and not use them UNLESS he begins to show symptoms of a bigger infection requiring the meds. Many drs provide abx to take on vacation if you've been suffering from something just in case it flairs up or gets out of hand.

A number of years ago, my mom was recovering from pneumonia and going to California (with the drs permission). He gave her a Zpack and told her that if by a certain date during her travel she was not feeling a certain amount better, she should start the Zpack while away. She didn't need it but the peace of mind was a big deal for her. And she was only in CA!

If there is any way to get the antibiotic before the trip you will be happy you did. My son ended up with pink eye on a cruise a few years back. The doctor was great but busy and after nearly 2 hours and a little over $200 we were able to walk out with the medication. Our insurance did not cover it, but of course we were just happy to have a doctor available to us. :)

Does anyone have any idea whether shipboard doctors are able to give guests antibiotics? We're traveling on the Sunshine this Saturday and my son was just diagnosed with swimmer's ear. We are giving him ear drops as prescribed but a couple of years ago he had this for the first time and we wound up in the ER because he developed a severe infection with a high fever. Our doctor doesn't want to prescribe an antibiotic since his situation doesn't warrant it right now. We're hoping for the best but want to be prepared for the worst! I called Carnival but wasn't given a direct answer about this.

Did you explain to your Pediatrician that you will be out of the country? It seems odd that he/she wouldn't give you a script to take "just-in-case".

This past January, I had an aweful toothache. My dentist had to prescribe Penicillen (sp?) for me because it was in infection under a crown. It went away within the 10-day regimen. When I saw him last month for my cleaning I mentioned that I will be going away this November & was concerned that it may happen again. He faxed in a prescription right away to my Pharmacy to have on hand "just-in-case".

I would call the Doctor back for the "Just-in-Case" scenario.

Good luck & have a great trip!!!!

This is another reason why travel insurance is so important. I have had reason to see a ship doctor several times in my "cruising career" and had great treatment.

Some travel insurance requires you to file first with you own health insurance and they will pay whatever your insurance does not cover. I buy the travel insurance that does not require this. It costs me about $20 more but is well worth it.

Something I did not know- Once I was old enough to be on Medicare I did not know that they do not pay anything for treatment by a doctor or facility not licensed in the United States. I had to see the doctor on a ship shortly after I went on Medicare. When I got back I called the travel insurance company and even though they knew Medicare would not pay I still had to file with them first. So now I just get the kind where I don't have to do that.

Edited by dixieva

If I asked for just incase antibiotics my doctor would laugh and then say no. Not saying its not done just doesn't seem like good medical practice to me

We also travel a lot with children (and since we also do foster care we've had many children over the years and have a good relationship with our pediatrician).

I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a "just in case" prescription and I would find another doctor if he laughed at me.

Like I said we have a good relationship with our pediatrician and his staff...he knows us/they know us...he knows that we don't run to the doctor for everything....and we don't seek medication for every ailment - in fact we typically take a wait and see attitude. After 35 kids he trusts us to know when our children need medication and he's been fine either calling in prescriptions long distance or providing something "just in case".

Carnival does not take insurance even if you have it or trip insurance you still have to pay up front and get reimbursed for most.

Last time I looked there were two different charges listed, one if you went to the medical office on the ship during the POSTED times and one if they came to you or was outside the posted hours. The fees started at $150 and you can guess which was cheaper.

FWIW

I can understand that the pediatrician wouldn't give you a just-in-case 'script unless the child was already ill. The just-give-'em-the-pink-stuff for any fever or tummy ache is part of the reason so many diseases are becoming resistant.

However, if the child already had symptoms or routinely gets ear infections (that you can recognize easily), then he's more likely to write one.

I once overheard a nurse advise another to look for a particular code or sticker that was on a child's chart --'Mom will ask for antibiotics'. Her advice: take extra time to evaluate symptoms to avoid over-medicating the child.

We also travel a lot with children (and since we also do foster care we've had many children over the years and have a good relationship with our pediatrician).

I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a "just in case" prescription and I would find another doctor if he laughed at me.

Like I said we have a good relationship with our pediatrician and his staff...he knows us/they know us...he knows that we don't run to the doctor for everything....and we don't seek medication for every ailment - in fact we typically take a wait and see attitude. After 35 kids he trusts us to know when our children need medication and he's been fine either calling in prescriptions long distance or providing something "just in case".

GD and SIL both developed sinus infections while on the Legend. The doctor gave them an Rx that cleared the problem. I submitted the claim to our travel insurance and was reimbursed. I felt the amount charged for the office visit and medication was reasonable, about the same as our doctor at home would charge.

Are you flying to meet the ship? You might want to add that bit of information when you call the doctor. Flying with ear problems is miserable.

The problem is...many MANY sicknesses are viral, not bacterial. No amount of antibiotics will help a viral infection. This is a growing issue in the medical community...people demanding antibiotics, and not happy unless they get them, to treat something that will not even be touched by it. (Like the "pink eye" stated above). "Pink Eye" is viral conjunctivitis. Very contagious, very annoying, and also very not treated by any kind of eyedrops. Like any other virus, it has to run its course. Now....you can certainly treat symptoms of a virus, like nausea, itching or throbbing eyeball, pain, or inflammation...but you can not "cure" a virus with antibiotics.

With all of that being said, it is very tough for even doctors to make the proper diagnosis sometimes. Sometimes, out of laziness. Just easier to give the dang mom the antibiotics she wants for this "viral infection", and it will run its course and she will think the medicine cured all....which starts the cycle...it's just easier not to explain the whole thing to patients...especially when they don't want to hear it.

Anyhow....that's that. In this case, with the ear issues...they ARE most commonly caused by bacteria (there are many strains of bacteria, each with their own resistances and responses to different antibiotics) what you use to treat a staph infection, would not respond to the same medicine you would use to treat a strep infection. The ear infection could also be viral, or...even allergy related. So, one does not even know what, if any antibiotics should be used.

I know this is long winded...but I really wish the public was more educated by their doctors and staff, about these sorts of things. There would be WAY less people becoming annoyed because their doctor didn't give them "just in case" medicines, for things like ear aches/infections.