Airline just cancelled my return flight

NancyL2

I'm a bit aggraveted. The airline just cancelled my return flight for my September Alaskan cruise in/out of Seattle. I had booked it back in March for a 2:45 pm flight time.

They now have booked me on the 11:20 am flight leaving Seattle on the 13th.

Guess my daughter and I will be walking those bags off.

Not really a happy cruiser about now.

You have 2 options, I think;

1) You can call the airline and switch to a later flight. They won't charge you fees due to the cancellation/time change.

2) 11:20 flight should give you plenty of time to get to the airport, check in, and go through security without having to carry your own bags off. It's about 30 minutes to the airport and they do a good job of getting people off the ship and quickly to the airport.

Either case, it's not that bad of a scenario, but I understand your frustration.

You have 2 options, I think;

1) You can call the airline and switch to a later flight. They won't charge you fees due to the cancellation/time change.

2) 11:20 flight should give you plenty of time to get to the airport, check in, and go through security without having to carry your own bags off. It's about 30 minutes to the airport and they do a good job of getting people off the ship and quickly to the airport.

Either case, it's not that bad of a scenario, but I understand your frustration.

I had thought of switching to a later flight...but the 11:20 is the latest flight.

Well that is very good news to hear that it's not as bad as I thought. :D

I just arrived home from a visit to Reno and checked on my flights and noticed the change. I was very surprise...but very glad to hear it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

Airlines are very cooperative in moving you around. BUT - you need to call before the options are full.

Personally? I would stay the night in Seattle and fly home the next day if possible cause it is a great city to visit.

Airlines are very cooperative in moving you around. BUT - you need to call before the options are full.

Personally? I would stay the night in Seattle and fly home the next day if possible cause it is a great city to visit.

Great idea! Of course, it is more $$$ for hotel/food/fun for another day and depends if you have plans the next day. And the airlines are pretty accommodating if THEY alter the schedule. We had a return flight post cruise in the Late. evening with a connector after a Miami cruise and they changed the departure time by 10 mins (about 6 months before the flight)and we were able to switch to a noon time direct flight home. We actually saved about 200$ total per person on the airfare as the direct flight home was way more costly.

The "typical" Alaska cruise returning to SEA port "usually" docked by 7 AM and is quickly cleared, and Express Self Walkoff starting around 8 AM, which is what OP should and can do, without waiting for baggage to be delivered (those flying often pack light to make it manageable.) If everything aligned, you will be out past CBP & outside the terminal by 9 AM, grab a taxi & off to the airport about 30 minutes away. That will yield about 90 minutes to check-in luggage and/or go thru security, and get to the boarding gate.

The other option is to first do a little bit of online search yourself, using your favorite online airline website or booking site to look at flight options for your carrier, look at creative routing via another hub city pairs - if you want to fly out later in the early afternoon as originally planned. Then, call the airline reservation & explain, give them the flight # and routing info to speed their lookup - and if necessary, get supervisor's approval to rebook/reroute. i.e. Instead of connecting via SFO/LAX, checkout DEN or even ORD (I know, it's going eastbound) - but, since they cancelled & rebooked your original flight, worst case is that they cannot do it but come up with a different routing or with a code-share partner.

I'm a bit aggraveted. The airline just cancelled my return flight for my September Alaskan cruise in/out of Seattle. I had booked it back in March for a 2:45 pm flight time.

When our airline did that, canceling an afternoon flight for a before noon flight we opted to have them change it, at no cost to us, to the following day instead so we could stay overnight in Seattle, enjoying the day rather than being stressed.

They did that for our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. I had the perfect time booked - 11am. They canceled that flight and moved us to a 3:30 flight. I did look into other airlines at that point, but the fare that we got for 1st class tickets was actually cheaper than coach on other airlines, so we kept it. I booked an airboat ride after the cruise to kill some time.

I feel your pain. Not only did the Airline once cancel my return flight out of Houston, they went so far as to book me another flight, from the other airport. The debarkation was delayed due to dense fog but thankfully we were able to change direction and make the flight.

We just returned from the Jewel to Alaska out of Seattle. Walk offs began at 7:15…and it was not crowded. Our flight was at 11:55 AM. We had a lot of time to kill at the airport…you will have no problem.

Thank you for the info...I'm sure DD and I will have no problem walking off, grabbing a cab early. One nice thing we will be home early enough to be back with our families. :)

Thank you to all those who gave advice....much appreciated.

that sucks, but it could be worse; it could have happened on your arrival flight and resulted in your not being able to make the flight. I know how frustrating this can be: we had it happen on our last cruise: we were scheduled for a 12:30pm flight and it was rescheduled to 11:10am. This was a week day in Boston no less. I was a nervous wreck, but we did make it in plenty of time: That is the understatement of the year, we got to the airport just to learn it had been rescheduled for 10am and no, we didn't make it. The only flight we could get on was about 1:20pm, and it ended up it was delayed 2 hours. If this 1955 I would rather hitch hike than depend on planes.

The airline changed our flight as well (a meerger). The new flight was not acceptable to our schedule. We called and they gave us whatever flight we wanted at no chnage in cost (even though the new flight was several hundred dollars more per person). If you call and explain the new flight absolutely will not work in your plans they will get you on a new flight. Do a little homework first to find which flight they have that will be best for you and tell them that is the one you have to have. I THINK they have to gve you whatever flight you want.

I am on the same cruise with Nancy and they changed my flights also. I called the number and they did try to help me. If I stay over and go out the next day at 6:15 I would have to find another room. Do you know of a inexpensive place to stay for 1 night for 2 seniors?

Kathy

I am on the same cruise with Nancy and they changed my flights also. I called the number and they did try to help me. If I stay over and go out the next day at 6:15 I would have to find another room. Do you know of a inexpensive place to stay for 1 night for 2 seniors?

Kathy

Have to find ANOTHER room? Can you not stay in the same place?

In any event, I would stay in downtown Seattle. Might be a bit expensive, but a great place to visit.

Check the WEST COAST departures for ideas.

That's exactly what DH and I did. We just added 2 extra days to our vacation, since we flew into Seattle one day early, as well.

Kathy

We stayed in one of the hotels at SEATAC, airport.