Just Off the Golden to Alaska, RT Seattle 6/7-14/2014. Buckle Up!

monk888

Re the buffet. To say that the food was left over from the MDR from the night before has to be totally untrue, since I was informed on the Golden a couple of months ago that the food in the MDRs has a 4 hour life span!!!

While it is true that the buffet food might be better, most people go in for a quick meal, and there has to be something to suit everyone, since I am 'a fussy eater', even I could always find something that was both good, AND fresh!

john

Monk888, I was pretty disturbed to read your review, but glad you posted, since I am booked with my family for July 5 for your identical cruise. I am new to Princess, have almost 400 days on Regent (all ships), and 2 cruises on Silversea (Whisper and Shadow), but this time I was treating the family, and needed 4 cabins. No way for either of those, and my grandchildren would not have had any fun on those ships. We are in Mini-suites on Emerald deck, that I booked early for the cover over the balconies. Having had 3 previous cruises to Alaska since 2000, I know how the weather can be, and I am looking forward to seeing Glacier Bay. Have only been to Hubbard, as Regent doesn't have the privilege like Prince does of visiting this locale.

Can anyone tell me if the main dining room is open for lunch every day? Sounds a whole lot better than how you describe Horizon Court! Of course this is a port intensive cruise, sort of, but we have a lot of time on the ship as well. I am not a lover of buffets, either. My family can abide them. I'm looking for the best way for us to spend time together for relaxation and fun, not fighting crowds. I would love a dining room setting on most days, getting table service. Simple food best for me.

I can deal with some of the things you didn't like. Like the entertainment. Rarely take in the shows anyway. I send my adult kids off for that after dinner, if they want (they usually don't) and I'm happy to sit for the grands, as we are next to each other all in a row. I just don't like snaking lines to board, but I suppose with that many passengers, we'll just have to deal with it.

I'm going to get onboard with low expectations after your review. Hey, I've already paid, and am pretty good with making lemonade.

Monk888, I was pretty disturbed to read your review, but glad you posted, since I am booked with my family for July 5 for your identical cruise.

I'm going to get onboard with low expectations after your review. Hey, I've already paid, and am pretty good with making lemonade.

Well, it's too bad you have low expectations. Have you read other reviews here on CC about the same cruise? Not all of them are as hard on the buffet as our friend here. The dining rooms are open on sea days, that I know for sure, breakfast and lunch, but I'm not so sure about breakfast on shore days. There is another food venue, the International Cafe, open 24 hours and located in the Piazza. They serve small plates with sandwiches (hot and cold), salads, soup, many deserts, and it's complementary. The food there is always good, IMO.

Monk888, I was pretty disturbed to read your review, but glad you posted, since I am booked with my family for July 5 for your identical cruise. I am new to Princess, have almost 400 days on Regent (all ships), and 2 cruises on Silversea (Whisper and Shadow), but this time I was treating the family, and needed 4 cabins. No way for either of those, and my grandchildren would not have had any fun on those ships. We are in Mini-suites on Emerald deck, that I booked early for the cover over the balconies. Having had 3 previous cruises to Alaska since 2000, I know how the weather can be, and I am looking forward to seeing Glacier Bay. Have only been to Hubbard, as Regent doesn't have the privilege like Prince does of visiting this locale.

Can anyone tell me if the main dining room is open for lunch every day? Sounds a whole lot better than how you describe Horizon Court! Of course this is a port intensive cruise, sort of, but we have a lot of time on the ship as well. I am not a lover of buffets, either. My family can abide them. I'm looking for the best way for us to spend time together for relaxation and fun, not fighting crowds. I would love a dining room setting on most days, getting table service. Simple food best for me.

I can deal with some of the things you didn't like. Like the entertainment. Rarely take in the shows anyway. I send my adult kids off for that after dinner, if they want (they usually don't) and I'm happy to sit for the grands, as we are next to each other all in a row. I just don't like snaking lines to board, but I suppose with that many passengers, we'll just have to deal with it.

Well, I don't think you can compare the lines you are used to with Princess, but would love to hear your impressions when your return. I often sail Silversea and you just have to take that experience and forget it when sailing Princess, don't even try to compare

Well, it's too bad you have low expectations. Have you read other reviews here on CC about the same cruise? Not all of them are as hard on the buffet as our friend here. The dining rooms are open on sea days, that I know for sure, breakfast and lunch, but I'm not so sure about breakfast on shore days. There is another food venue, the International Cafe, open 24 hours and located in the Piazza. They serve small plates with sandwiches (hot and cold), salads, soup, many deserts, and it's complementary. The food there is always good, IMO.

shredie, I just got on this thread, and while I've read other reviews, it's not a good one that I just read. I have enough cruise nights under my belt that I'm pretty flexible. I am happy to hear that the dining rooms are open on sea days, my question was I guess on port days.. I like the idea you mentioned about the International Cafe, so thank you!

shredie, I just got on this thread, and while I've read other reviews, it's not a good one that I just read. I have enough cruise nights under my belt that I'm pretty flexible. I am happy to hear that the dining rooms are open on sea days, my question was I guess on port days.. I like the idea you mentioned about the International Cafe, so thank you!

I've heard mostly good things about the IC, so that is my backup plan if the HC isn't to my liking, or I can't get a seat ;).

I read your review like I do all others....with a grain of salt. However to notice and bring it to Princess's attention about an area on the hull that needs to painted is either being way too critical or going out of your way to find something wrong.

The truth is your truth and no one else's.

Attached to this post is a photo I took of the stern of the Golden Princess last week in Alaska. I will let the readers of this thread determine what the truth is and if, in their opinion, the stern of the Golden needs to be painted.

371807630_GoldenPrincessStern-June7-14-2014.jpg.c5d75cb52346ebf82afead2ebc609911.jpg

It does need repainting as do most areas on heavily used ships in saltwater environments.

I owner a 70 foot yacht in salt water for years and the maintenance is continual on any painted surface and metal surface.

Would I complain that my ship did not look like it came out of the show room...for these reasons....No....

Monk - thank you for your review - I know it's a lot of work to write one.

I agree with most of what you said. The egg-drop/shoe- drop nonsense is crazy. Put it back in the kids-club where it belongs. And yes I think the quality of entertainment has gone …way…. down in the last few years with the exception of the production shows on Ruby and 'On the Bayou' on Coral which are amazing.

However, you lost me at the hand sanitizer business. I don't care how much you paid for the cruise (and I really don't get what that has to do with it anyway - by that logic, the people in steerage should have to use hand sanitizer and the people in suites shouldn't have to).

I found Seattle an odd port - my main memory of it is having to lift my big suitcase myself. By the sounds of others, like you, I too was there at the 'wrong' time.

I hope you enjoy your next cruises and please write reviews again.

Attached to this post is a photo I took of the stern of the Golden Princess last week in Alaska. I will let the readers of this thread determine what the truth is and if, in their opinion, the stern of the Golden needs to be painted.

We were on the Golden 3 weeks ago. We were in Emerald 728, which is the last cabin on the port side. You can see the cabin in your picture. In 2 ports there were people painting the back of the ship, directly below and behind our cabin, on the aft. I'm sure they couldn't paint the bottom as it appears to be near the water line. But they definitely were painting the aft area with white paint at the Seattle pier and during our cruise. We could have held a conversation with the workers, they were that close to us.

I just found the buffet so sloppy and inedible that I have had better meals at places like KFC, McDonalds and all other world famous fast food joints. I am not lying when I am saying this. I find a quaterpounder meal from McDonalds better food than what Princess has on offer in their buffet.

"World famous fast food joints". Like these.....??? LOL :cool:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americas-least-favorite-fast-food-110000201.html

Edited by ar1950

We are sailing on the Golden in a mini suite. I read that they suggest you take along a power strip...I found a small 3 plug strip that goes directly into the wall socket...It is three prongs...Does anyone know if this will work with 3 prongs and where the additional cabin plug is, is there some room around it for it to fit. Hope this makes sense.

We are sailing on the Golden in a mini suite. I read that they suggest you take along a power strip...I found a small 3 plug strip that goes directly into the wall socket...It is three prongs...Does anyone know if this will work with 3 prongs and where the additional cabin plug is, is there some room around it for it to fit. Hope this makes sense.

The plugs are three prong. I plugged a power strip into it that had either 5 or 6 outlets on it that I just got from Radio Shack. The wall outlets in the mini-suite were just above the desk that is in between the beds and the pull out couch.

By the way, if you are staying in Seattle the night before, you might try Elliot's Crab House on Pier 56. Seating right outside on the water if your reservation is early enough. Their seafood is absolutely delicious and the views are stunning. For a quick and delicious breakfast down by Pikes Market, you might try La Paniere French Bakery. Absolutely fresh and delicious pastries as well as sandwiches on baguettes. Just a few doors down from the original Starbucks by Pike's Market.

The outlets at the desk are three prong. In most cases the two outlets are next to each other and the small strip you plug in will likely also block the second outlet unless it has a cord that you use to plug it in.

On many of the ships there is a spare outlet on the shelf behind the TV. Also three pronged.

Wow, I was on the same cruise as you and as a person who prefers RC, I was pleasantly surprised because we really enjoyed the ship much more then we thought we would. The embark was a little crowded but I do not blame Princess, I blame the fact that people did not come at their appointed times! Therefore, the staff said everyone came all at once. I had read that the ship was run down but I saw no wear anywhere. I thought it was in great shape. The brass and wood rails were like brand new! As for entertainment, the comedian was funny and I loved Sol Play (the lead singer was one of the best I have heard) and others must have agreed because people always seemed to be dancing. I also thought British Invasion was good. Was it Broadway....no....but the music, costumes, lightshow, etc. were good and fun. And we loved, loved Billy the Piano player. Also, really enjoyed the staff (which on recent cruises has not really been noticeable). Several nights some of the staff joined the Piano player and not only had great voices, but were charming and funny! Also enjoyed the on ship stores and specials much more then recent cruises.....had some great buys and I did buy, LOL! Since I am not a buffet person to start with, I only find them okay anyway (though I did miss RCs omelette bar). But I still always found plenty that was quite good (Danish, fruit, etc.). I do agree though that it is not set up well, just too tight a spot and makes it crowded BUT they had a lot of good seating areas. Our room was clean and comfortable as was our balcony. Also, loved the outdoor movies....just wish they constantly had a show or movie playing....at least on our final day. I would not hesitate to take this ship again! Really nice, fun ship, great weather, and Alaska was absolutely beautiful! Hope to do it again in the very near future!

Since I am not a buffet person to start with, I only find them okay anyway (though I did miss RCs omelette bar).

How does the RCCL omelet bar differ from the Princess buffet where you can order an omelet made the way you want it at breakfast time?

How does the RCCL omelet bar differ from the Princess buffet where you can order an omelet made the way you want it at breakfast time?

Okay, I must have missed the Princess omelet bar. I only saw fried and scrambled. I guess I should have asked! Thanks for letting me know!