Pearl to Alaska 6/8/14 Aft PH Butler Report

I will do a full review later, but this was my first cruise in a suite and I wanted to report back, since all the info I had I gathered from here.

A week before sailing, I called the concierge desk, and emailed them with our requests. Nothing crazy, just our pillow and bed makeup preferences and favorite afternoon snacks (from the ones I found listed on here for suite guests), coffee/tea preferences and to empty the mini bar and how we wanted the balcony set up. I printed the email and took it with us.

I'm not sure if I had too high expectations, but we were a little disappointed in our butler service. By no means did it ruin the trip, but it just wasn't what we had read on here.

We didn't even meet our butler until late on day 2 after our concierge called to ask how things were going and we told her we had wanted to order room service (I had requested that we have copies of menus in our room, which we did't have) but didn't hear from the butler that day or the day before.

Five minutes later our butler showed at the door. No menus, but we asked him to show us how the balcony door worked. We were in an AD room and it was an electric door. He acted put off, but messed with it. He couldn't figure it out either, so the whole trip we just ended up pushing all the buttons until it opened or closed.

We explained that we didn't get the pillows we requested (even with the phone call and email), and I showed him the email copy I had brought with me, he glanced at it, didn't read it or take it with him.

He also seemed irritated that we asked for help with the coffee machine. From what I've read, that is usually the FIRST thing a butler shows you in a suite.

He finally went and got me a menu for the Blue Lagoon so that's pretty much all we got to order in.

Our butler was very difficult to contact and there were many times when it just rang so many times I gave up and hung up.

Due to our itenerary, we had several early mornings and did receive prompt delivery of breakfast each time it was ordered the night before, so that was a point for the butler.

In addition to the lack of communication, our biggest disappointment was the attitude of our butler. He never once smiled at us, and twice when we reported for early disembarkations at port he never even acknowledged us. Our friends in an OS had a different butler and he came and got our entire group and moved us to the front of the line and took us in a private elevator down.

While I was not impressed with the butler service, I would still jump on the opportunity for an upgrade for only $100 (from a mini-suite 2 weeks before sailing, also got an additional $150 OBC) just for the Priority status. Skipping those security lines boarding and disembarking was well worth it.

Because I may consider upgrading to a suite for my October sailing, I'm interested in your take. Did I expect too much? Should I be more vocal about my concerns?

Do you suggest tipping upon embarkation as an incentive? I don't agree with that completely, but if it helps get us better service, I would consider it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmmm..we are in a family SC suite in August. I am cautiously optimistic about out butler. My kids don't know about it and I think it would totally wow them if the butler, actually acted like a butler. Oh well, I am very much looking forward to the cruise regardless.

It seem to be hit and miss with Butlers. As to the door and coffee thing - that is nuts. So easy to take care, but...

I do think it is hard to get the same service in those aft suites. After all, it is way, way back there.

We recently did the 2BR suite near the front. Butler did not over-do himself. But, then we did not ask for much. We are not so big on in room meals and we like the service in Cagneys. We did do some light room service, and it was not handled by the butler.

And, by the way, the priority disembark stuff is via the concierge, not the butler.

We've had those aft penthouses 3 times on the Gem and the Jewel and have always had decent service. They always introduced themselves right away and were very helpful explaining how they could make our experience aboard the ship more enjoyable. Sounds like you didn't have a very good butler. I doubt tipping on embarkation would have made a difference and I would do it in any case. Don't let one bad experience put you off. Hopefully you'll be luckier the next time.

And, by the way, the priority disembark stuff is via the concierge, not the butler.

We always received our letter for VIP Disembark from the Concierge, but she was never there, it was always the butlers doing this on this cruise for some reason.

We are on the Dawn in October and I am watching the prices religiously. I want to get into a PH at least, preferably an OS or 2br, as my daughter is joining us on that one. I don't think the butler will deter us from Suite Life again, mainly because I would pay extra for VIP embark/disembark alone.

Our Butler on the Pearl in 2012 -aft PH deck 10 - was very attentive - however we did not ask that much of him. We did not that ask that much of him either. We did have breakfast in the suite on GB day - he was on time and very attentive. He also kept asking if we needed anything - as did the concierge.

and yes the butler staff reports through the concierge.

This was our second suite - the first was in 03. Both times we did not ask that much. Both times we were impressed with the service.

You got a lazy one - you should have reported him to the concierge or the hotel director. Which if you went to the M&G you would have met.

Sorry I didn't see the details about the M&G. I met Monica on the first day, when she walked us to the ship for lunch at Cagney's. I did report him to her when she called us on the 2nd day to check in. Only after that did we even meet him.

After that I started questioning myself that I was asking too much and didn't know if my level of expectations were too high.

I understand you didn't really know how to interact with a butler since it was your first time. Huge mistake was not meeting your butler until late on day 2. You must, must, must meet and greet your butler on the first day, usually the first afternoon. This sets the tone for the entire trip. Yes, it is his obligation to contact you, but since he didn't you should have.

I would never get to day two without meeting my butler and concierge at least once if not several times. Next time you will know better.

Thanks for checking in with the report. Sorry that some things were not up to expectations. But butlers walk a fine line. My last Epic cruise I too did not even see the butler until the third day. But some keep their distance to not intrude with your privacy. As many will complain the butler did not come into the suite several times a day, there would be just as many complaining the butler was intrusive by coming by too much. I would not zing the butler since you had not called them or requested him/her yet. You should have called him the first day to ask about the coffee machine.

I believe the butlers have nothing to do with pillows or clearing the fridge. That is housekeeping. So those complaints should have been taken up with the house keeping hotel manager. I once asked our butler for a lounger on the balcony and he said he could not do it and the request had to go through housekeeping.

As far as smiling, I don't think it is required to perform his/her duties in a capable way. A butler should be judged by how the service was completed when asked. For example, if you called him the first day and you never got what you requested. That would be a bad butler.

I sometimes read the reviews here and people brag how the butler fawned all over them during the cruise. That is an unrealistic expectation. Butlers are NOT exclusively assigned to your suite. They are not personal servants either. When I called my butler I too would not get him at times. But the reason was (not that he was not a good butler) but because he was so darn busy delivering room service to so many others.

Edited by david_sobe

I'm sorry that your first butler experience wasn't the greatest. I have to say that all of our experiences with butlers on NCL have been top notch. And we have been greeted by them on every cruise on the afternoon before the ship even departs that first day.

I would like to think this was a one time experience and the next time you'll have a great butler! :)

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your butler.

I have cruised twice in suites on NCL ships including Pearl. We had outstanding service both times.

Also, I've been in a suite on Celebrity and RCCL. Great butlers again.