Price drop after final payment

I'm sure it's been asked several times but just want to make sure - we cruise in august and our cabin has dropped about 500 dollars ...since we are after final payment the travel agent said the only thing we can hope to do would be to move up to the next level (which is still high) plus I like my location in my current cabin! Just making sure I should not be trying for more on board credit? Which as I type this sounds silly cause I am sure most cruise fares are reduced before sailings and then we would all want more onboard credit! Well I guess I answered my own question!!😳

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sure it's been asked several times but just want to make sure - we cruise in august and our cabin has dropped about 500 dollars ...since we are after final payment the travel agent said the only thing we can hope to do would be to move up to the next level (which is still high) plus I like my location in my current cabin! Just making sure I should not be trying for more on board credit? Which as I type this sounds silly cause I am sure most cruise fares are reduced before sailings and then we would all want more onboard credit! Well I guess I answered my own question!!

More than several (;)), but here is your answer.

After final payment date, no money back in any form. No cash, no credit card refund, no OBC.

Your agent is correct that the ONLY thing you COULD get is an upgrade.

You can get a "free" upgrade if a higher category is the same or less than what you have already paid.

You can pay for an upgrade to a higher category.

But no money back.

Since you have already selected a cabin that you like, I am sure that you will have a fabulous cruise.

Bon Voyage!

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Thank you!! Could not have stated any better!!! Agreed and agreed!!!!

Oh MY. I just looked at your cruise. Those Alaska cruises are HIGH this year! If that is a LOWER rate than what you paid..........OUCH!

But have a blast. Watch out for bears. Remember: you don't have to be the FASTEST person. You just can't be the SLOWEST! ;)

I fully agree with Marion Mom. But look at possible upgrades and see what you can do. We did Rhapsody in Alaska for May 23 (fantastic cruise). We had an aft corner D-1 Balcony (one of the 4 largest balconies on the ship). Fantastic location for Alaska. About 2 months out (after final payment), a JS came available on an "Interline Rate" (airline employee) for a bit less than my D-1. But I love my balcony and wouldn't trade it, except for another aft balcony. Well, to all amazement, 3 of us were all able to "free" upgrade to JS aft balconies! We had starboard corner. Amazing balcony and great cabin and views. So, look at all options. If you can get another cabin that is in a great location and is an upgrade for "free," (or little additional), then go for it. Otherwise, you got the cabin you wanted on the cruise you wanted, at a price that was reasonable to you. You'll have a great time!

How do you find if the rates are cheaper. I always try and price my cruise, the rates for the next category are now $300 cheaper than what I paid, but when I call I am told that those rates are only for new bookings and not available for me to upgrade to??

How do you find if the rates are cheaper. I always try and price my cruise, the rates for the next category are now $300 cheaper than what I paid, but when I call I am told that those rates are only for new bookings and not available for me to upgrade to??

Are you past final payment? If it is a Tuesday sale, they may adhere to the 'new bookings only' requirement. Keep watching and you may be able to call and upgrade after the promo is over (the sales event will be over but the price may remain low).

I'm sure it's been asked several times but just want to make sure - we cruise in august and our cabin has dropped about 500 dollars ...since we are after final payment the travel agent said the only thing we can hope to do would be to move up to the next level (which is still high) plus I like my location in my current cabin! Just making sure I should not be trying for more on board credit? Which as I type this sounds silly cause I am sure most cruise fares are reduced before sailings and then we would all want more onboard credit! Well I guess I answered my own question!!

Woops Edited by FLACRUISER99

Papaflamingo - thank you for your great suggestions!! We are currently booked in a superior ocean view (mid ship - I can be prone to sea sickness) deck 9. I would love to get into a junior suite as there are 3 of us traveling!! Right now even though the price is down it would be over a grand to make the switch! How did you know the balcony size was bigger? I am so happy you were able to score such a great upgrade!!!!!!!! If the prices do comedown .....you can bet I will be seeking you out on cruise critic asking for advice and merion mom too!!! I don't think there is a lot of junior suites available which is why the prices are still high. Heck a girl can dream!!

Are you past final payment? If it is a Tuesday sale, they may adhere to the 'new bookings only' requirement. Keep watching and you may be able to call and upgrade after the promo is over (the sales event will be over but the price may remain low).

Yes I am on the 7/11 Radiance sailing NB Alaska. I originally paid 1099. for a category H outside. I wanted to upgrade to the category G which is now selling for 799. I know it is not much of an upgrade, but the new cabin would put us next to the others in our party. First time I saw a lower price was a Tuesday, when I called they told me that the Tuesday sales were for new bookings only. Then I saw the 799 price today, and I was told that it was also for new bookings only.

First time I saw a lower price was a Tuesday, when I called they told me that the Tuesday sales were for new bookings only. Then I saw the 799 price today, and I was told that it was also for new bookings only.

I'd call again tomorrow. And the next day.

Totally agree!!!!! That's nuts!! Good luck!! Let us know how you make out!! You may be able to get a better upgrade then that that is still near your group? The upgrade your looking at is 300 less then what you paid?? I would be all over that!! Good luck!!!!

Sometimes Tuesday sales last allllll week. What matters is (unfortunately) what we cannot see: the price code in their system. If it is coded as the weekly sale it is a no-go. If it is a regular price code then you can snag it.

Sometimes Tuesday sales last allllll week. What matters is (unfortunately) what we cannot see: the price code in their system. If it is coded as the weekly sale it is a no-go. If it is a regular price code then you can snag it.

I'd probably call twice a day, morning and evening.

Yes I am on the 7/11 Radiance sailing NB Alaska. I originally paid 1099. for a category H outside. I wanted to upgrade to the category G which is now selling for 799. I know it is not much of an upgrade, but the new cabin would put us next to the others in our party. First time I saw a lower price was a Tuesday, when I called they told me that the Tuesday sales were for new bookings only. Then I saw the 799 price today, and I was told that it was also for new bookings only.

It's now the weekly sales event and goes from Monday, first day is for C&A members only, to Wednesday and is for new bookings only. See

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

The flyer says June 17-18 2014 so I would start calling tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. I don't usually watch prices after final payment. However when I originally booked I couldn't get the 4th cabin in the same category. I have been watching for a price drop to do a free or low cost upgrade. I understand that some prices are for new bookings only, which is why I wanted to know if there was a secret to know which prices were for new bookings and which were available for upgrades. I don't want to waste my time or RCCL's time.

The info about the dates of the sale was very helpful. I will price it out tomorrow and hope I get lucky.