All Things HMC after 6/20/14 (part 2)

marshhawk

I have read pages and pages of threads, in an effort not to ask a repeat question. I know that irritates some people ;). We have already reserved a cabana for our upcoming September 2015 cruise on the Fascination. We will have 2 people with us that have mobility issues. I was thinking about cabana #10? Is there bar service to the cabanas? Thank you, this thread is awesome!

If you have someone with mobility issues, you might want to try for #1. It provides easy access to bathrooms, and the food pavilion. It also has a walkway from the rear path that leads directly into the cabana.

• 3 months later...

Last time on HMC, we had no issues being on the first tender over to our cabana and were some of the first people on the beach (one of my favorite experiences ever), but when we left to go back to the ship, we had to wait in an awful line with very little shade. I'm a redhead, and after that wait, my fair skin pretty much matched my hair. IIRC, it wasn't awfully late in the day - there were still lots of people on the beach, and one family even asked if they could use our cabana after we left because there was plenty of time left (maybe an hour and a half?) before all aboard.

Is there a golden window where a tender back isn't a long wait? Has the process changed since 2011 to make it better?

We didn't have to wait long for the tender. We left about 30-45 minutes before we had to. There were some people that were ahead of us in line but we all made it on the next tender. They did have ice water where you waited but it was hot. I agree about the lack of shade. They really could use some because if you just miss a tender, it is a bit of a wait for them to unload and come back.

• 1 month later...

No I did not read through all the threads on this subject yet, but was just curious. Has anyone done the stingray encounter at HMC? Debating whether to look into doing this here or at Grand Turk. If I decide to do the encounter at HMC would it be worth my while to still book a cabana? Meaning would we still have time to relax in it after or before stingray encounter? We are not sailing for awhile. Dec 2016 in fact so I know I have plenty of time to decide, just looking for opinions or any feedback from someone who has done this.

Thanx! So excited for this stop on our cruise

I booked it yesterday we go nov 9 20 16 .it's the koningsdam firdt cruise after the TA

OK. Those hours are a new thing- never heard of those hours for a visit. I will be looking at our booking- we will be on the Koningsdam in March 2017, B2B, with 2 visits on the B2B.

Edit: Looking at the Koningsdam schedule at the HAL website, you are Nassau on Nov 10, 1-7pm, and HMC on Nov 11, 6am-6pm. A 12 hour visit is a little different.

Edited by CruiserBruce

OK. Those hours are a new thing- never heard of those hours for a visit. I will be looking at our booking- we will be on the Koningsdam in March 2017, B2B, with 2 visits on the B2B.

Edit: Looking at the Koningsdam schedule at the HAL website, you are Nassau on Nov 10, 1-7pm, and HMC on Nov 11, 6am-6pm. A 12 hour visit is a little different.

ok sorry i looked at it wrong that was for nassau .This cruise has some different hours it doesn't sail from Ft lauderdale until 10pm on the 9th.

Can any one tell me the cost of the butler option on HMC.Thank you

We have been to Half Moon Cay a couple of times - and have plans to be there twice more this year - until I saw the wonderful map, I never knew that there was something called "The Private Oasis." Can anyone tell me what that is?:confused:

If you do a search on the board, you will find many posts on it, some with pics. I believe there are videos on Youtube. It is a private "cabana" of sorts, commonly booked for about 12 people the price is for 12. Bar and chef are included. Other upgrades and massages are available for additional prices. It has it's own water access. It is fully self contained, so your party can stay out there and have a great time.

This will be my first time to HMC. How does it compare to cococay? I know that the HMC doesn't have the coral like COCO. What about the nature trails? When I was at COCO I went to the beach near where the boats let out, near the coral to snorkel but that area was way too crowded and I found that the beaches on the opposite side of the island were much more private and peaceful. Is this the same with HMC? I noticed that the map of HMC doesn't show the whole island so i have no idea how big it really is and if it is possible to walk the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions

1. I've seen pictures of a buffet/grill. Is that free? Do they have free tea/lemonade at the buffet(if the buffet is free through carnival)?

2. If My daughter has a soda card can she use that for free soda on the Island or the buffet area?

3. Are towels provided for cruisers or just cruiser that get cabanas?

4. Will weather and water be cool, warm, hot or humid?

5. Someone mentioned being but by sand flies, will that be an issue in March?

6. Are they issues with jelly fish?

7. How are the crowds during March 19th. Will it be more of a spring break party crowd?

Many of these questions are cruise line specific, so asking on the Carnival board might be advised. HAL doesn't allow soda card use on the island, but I think Carnival does. What type of crowd will be on board will depend on a couple of factors. HAL issues beach towels to all cabins, don't know Carnival ' policy, but additional towels are available to cabana pax.

As discussed here regularly, the buffet is part of your cruise fare.

No one can predict weather, but cool is not a warm commonly associated with HMC, certainly not in March.

Have never, in 8 visits, had a problem with jelly fish or sand flies. But those problems can be transitory.

• 5 months later...
Well, it finally happened this past Tuesday. After nearly a dozen trips to HMC, we weren't able to snag a cabana. We made do. Picked a spot under a big tree between Villa "C' and cabana #6. This pic was taken very early in the morning. By 10am it was completely shaded for the rest of the day!

DSC04964.JPG

Thanks for this pic! We're going in April and I've been trying to decide where to camp out for all day shade. Everyone talks about the cabanas on these forums. Need more "just loungers" and where the shade is for us broke folk ;)

For those that have been here before, which side does the sun rise on and set on? Starts or end behind the trees or at an angle...?

Edited by Ellusionz

Google satellite image of HMC:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Little+San+Salvador+Island,+The+Bahamas/@24.5762188,-75.9515238,1462m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x893042c47ce97625:0xb817f511398b8006

(north is the top of the map)

The sun rises behind the trees, and sets over the Ocean, if you're sitting on beach, with your back to the Cabanas. But there is an angle involved: the beach runs roughly N-S, with a little bit of a NW-SE slant / curve.

Edited by ShakyBeef