All Things HMC after 6/20/14 (part 2)

marshhawk

Hi,

I have a question about clamshell location. I understand that the clamshells are fixed, but are there clamshells on the northwest side of the beach? We like seclusion. How far up do the clamshells go?

How does one go about picking a clamshell?

Thanks

Edited by Orsino

Does anyone have pictures of the kids area? Is it just the 2 slides or is there more?

I have been looking for information on this area too. When I google, I find pictures, but have no idea if these are still there or recent. Everything I find online is OLD...like 2010 old.

xcw2tx

yew2tx

BG-2.jpg

Bahamas06-1.jpg

180.jpg

So can anyone confirm this all is still there?

Edited by mitsugirly

I believe the play place is. The floating things I dont recall seeing in Oct. Think they now have bigger inflatables. I will look through my pics to see if I have anything pointed in that direction

That would be awesome. Please do let us know if you find anything. Does anyone know if these inflatables are free?

The tenders go non stop all day. You can come and go as you please, although it will be very busy for first couple and the last couple of tenders.

Some reading on the thread and the board would reveal that your options for shade are cabanas and clamshells - extra cost, and some trees, for free. There are even some pictures back a couple of pages showing some one who set up lounge chairs under some trees.

No umbrellas.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Few questions...

Has anyone explored the undeveloped part of the island? Anything interesting?

I like to go full-throttle on the jet ski... Do I have any chance of being able to do that if I do the tour?

Edited by agreenway6

GREAT idea!!

Here is an updated map of HMC...

cabanas3_1_.jpg

Yes OP.. GREAT IDEA!! WOOT WOOT!!

Thank you for the updated map Jamman!!! Now I can post this in my roll call group. They will be oh so happy!

Going to use Jamman technique on waiting at the bar again at the end of the day.. me and my glory gals are just gunna chill Jamman style.. :-)

Yes OP.. GREAT IDEA!! WOOT WOOT!!

Thank you for the updated map Jamman!!! Now I can post this in my roll call group. They will be oh so happy!

Going to use Jamman technique on waiting at the bar again at the end of the day.. me and my glory gals are just gunna chill Jamman style.. :-)

Yep, here I am waiting for the tender!! Rock on, Glory Gals!!

CFS478.JPG

I can confirm the play place was still there as of this past September (2014)...

Nd3_8064.jpg

Here's another shot that includes it taken from the Private Oasis. You can also see one of the large, blue floats (which I think were free - large groups of people, usually kids, were on and off them all day) that were available, already out in the water when the first tender arrived on the island...

Nd3_8081.jpg

I can confirm the play place was still there as of this past September (2014)...

Nd3_8064.jpg

Here's another shot that includes it taken from the Private Oasis. You can also see one of the large, blue floats (which I think were free - large groups of people, usually kids, were on and off them all day) that were available, already out in the water when the first tender arrived on the island...

Nd3_8081.jpg

Thank you!

I skimmed the previous posts but didn't notice a reference to this.

I'd hate to show up to tender over to HMC and have a huge wait. Is there any timing strategy I can use to avoid that? Do a lot of people tend to show up first thing and clog things up? So if I wait an hour after arriving it will just be waiting for the next tender? Or maybe it's more steady and it's always just waiting until the next tender. Can anyone shed any light?

If it helps, on the Maasdam, 14 day cruise and the only ship there that day as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

Another question...since this is a tender port...

How often does this place get missed due to not being able to tender? I know a lot of people talk about how they miss Grand Cayman because the ocean is too rough to tender. Now that has me wondering about this place. I know we were unable to tender to Great Stirrup Cay (NCL's private island) back in November due to the high waves. I would really hate to miss this place (since it's my first time there), but completely understand mother nature.

(Not looking for answers like...we can't predict the weather and so on...I know this). Just wondering if it happens a lot. :)

How often does this place get missed due to not being able to tender? I know a lot of people talk about how they miss Grand Cayman because the ocean is too rough to tender. Now that has me wondering about this place. I know we were unable to tender to Great Stirrup Cay (NCL's private island) back in November due to the high waves. I would really hate to miss this place (since it's my first time there), but completely understand mother nature.

(Not looking for answers like...we can't predict the weather and so on...I know this). Just wondering if it happens a lot. :)

Well, I hope I don't jinx us since we're on the same cruise in April, but in a dozen visits to HMC, we have never missed it due to weather or tidal conditions, knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc, etc. That being said, there are occasions when it is to dangerous to tender in there, and hopefully that will not be the case for my April and June visits there.

This is a big flaw in A) shutting down the old thread, and b) not reading the other threads on the topics.

There has been much discussion on HMC misses. We are 8 for 8 getting there. But the general statement seems to be about 20% miss. Maybe a little lower. The larger, HMC based tenders have improved this issue.

The tendering problem has shrunk considerably, particularly for the smaller ships. They keep adding more HMC based vessels, each of which handles about 200 pax. So the waits are much lower than they have been in the past. For a ship the size of Maasdam, everybody that wants to be ashore will be there in 90 minutes, probably less.

Well, I hope I don't jinx us since we're on the same cruise in April, but in a dozen visits to HMC, we have never missed it due to weather or tidal conditions, knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc, etc. That being said, there are occasions when it is to dangerous to tender in there, and hopefully that will not be the case for my April and June visits there.

That sounds like pretty good odds to me. I'm keeping my toes crossed for the both of us. I would really hate to miss it since it will be my first time and I'm so looking forward to it.

This is a big flaw in A) shutting down the old thread, and b) not reading the other threads on the topics.

There has been much discussion on HMC misses. We are 8 for 8 getting there. But the general statement seems to be about 20% miss. Maybe a little lower. The larger, HMC based tenders have improved this issue.

Um ok. You certainly didn't have to respond if you felt that way.

There is no "flaw" in shutting down an old thread when there's useful information in it. There's definitely no flaw in asking a question and the last time I checked I thought we were all here to help one another. At least I know that's what I'm here for when I can help. :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, I did do a search on "half moon cay missed" and there was absolutely nothing in the titles that came up that indicated that it would answer my question. BUT, wait, there was one that came up that said "How often is half moon cay missed?" Maybe I should have checked that one instead. Or...maybe not since the last post was from 2010. :eek: So then I guess that would have me right back to square 1 of bringing up an old thread that, according to you, should have been locked. Maybe next time the right thing to do is just start another thread. :confused: I'll keep that in mind. ;)

Until then...I'll keep helping people on subjects that I know a lot about...even if it's been ask over and over and over again. Why? Because that's the type of person that I am. :cool:

The miss rate at private islands as most are tender ports is about 20%. The odds are actually in your favor.

The miss rate at private islands as most are tender ports is about 20%. The odds are actually in your favor.

That's awesome to hear...but can I get a 1% instead. :D :p

I guess I have been extremely lucky over the years and we missed our very first port this past November.

I have read pages and pages of threads, in an effort not to ask a repeat question. I know that irritates some people ;). We have already reserved a cabana for our upcoming September 2015 cruise on the Fascination. We will have 2 people with us that have mobility issues. I was thinking about cabana #10? Is there bar service to the cabanas? Thank you, this thread is awesome!