Does anyone else do a first and second dinner?

seaman11

On our last cruise we were served two dinners every night in the MDR. On the first day we asked if there was going to be curry at all. The head waiter said yes but the next night there wasn't any curry on the menu. We thought he misunderstood us but then a whole meal of curry was served after we ate whatever we chose from the menu. And so it went every night: we'd have our dinner and then be served another dinner of curry. We could barely stand the sight of food by the end!

First time I ever had fish curry!

LOL! Sometimes have to be careful what we ask for. I once asked at dinner on the second night, since I didn't really want any of the appetizers on the menu that night, would it be possible to get a shrimp cocktail. Well, the waiter checked with the head waiter who came to the table and arranged to get me my shrimp cocktail. From that night on, I was brought shrimp cocktail every dinner for the rest of the cruise whether I wanted it or not!

I normally have breakfast at 9am then I eat WJ lunch 12pm then 2:30pm 2nd lunch park cafe roast beef and chips followed by first dinner wj at 5-6pm and dinner mdr 8-8:30pm then most days a 11pm room service or park cafe snack.

Do you have a tape worm?

We do breakfast from Room Service in our cabin, sometimes we do a late lunch, if we do we skip dinner. If no lunch we have late traditional dinner in the MDR.

What do you mean, your money's worth?

What you paid for the cruise is not just for food.;)

This is true you also get the transport to a different place, this is why I love cruises. I factor 2 of us eat $800 in a week minimum if we were to go to buffets and a decent mdr type of resturant everyday for a week. Now once you throw in a few more small meals and entertainment and the travel part we come out way ahead.

My husband probably eats as much as the OP ...in fact people started commenting on the amount he eats on our last trip. They would come up to him and tell him the buffet was open so time for your eating contest again. He's slim and healthy, he just seems to inhale food.

I always lose weight on holidays. I go to the gym everyday just like at home, but with all the steps and walking around ports I usually drop in the region of 7lbs in a fortnight. Plus I probably eat healthier as I'm not dashing between appointments like at home. On a transatlantic I was a whole dress size smaller by the time we reached the caribbean.

I do find overeating in people a little disturbing though. I think I lost weight in Disneyworld because of seeing other people eat mountains of sugary foods :eek:

I normally have breakfast at 9am then I eat WJ lunch 12pm then 2:30pm 2nd lunch park cafe roast beef and chips followed by first dinner wj at 5-6pm and dinner mdr 8-8:30pm then most days a 11pm room service or park cafe snack.

I don't....I couldn't eat that much if I tried. I usually eat breakfast around 9:30 -10 am, then a really light lunch around 1:00 because I'm normally not that hungry so soon after breakfast. Dinner will be between 5:30 - 7:00 pm and then maybe a light snack after the show, usually not though. Having said that, DH and DS(20) can eat your pace....and DD (17) snacks on ice cream all day long.

I've been seated near people in the MDR who gripe about the itty bitty portions, the waiter offered to bring them something else, which the declined, while continuing to whine about the fact that real people eat more than just a few bits of dinner. :rolleyes: since we were leaving the dining room about the same time, I kinda followed them to see what they were going to do. And what do you know, they headed right up to the buffet. And proceeded to pile their plates with food.

this American society doesn't even recognize the correct portion size of what they should be consuming...when it's placed in front of them. They think everything needs to be super size. And that's a sad sad thing.

I always thought they served more than enough in the MDR. I would always eat all of my appetizer, 1 roll, 1/2 of my entree (usually DS would finish that off for me) and 1/2 my dessert (again DS to the rescue so no food wasted). The first couple of nights the waiters are always asking to see if I wanted something else because they assumed I didn't like it since I didn't eat it all. By the 3rd night they usually stop asking because they become used to my habits.

I may be in the minority, but I don't like most of the food on the ships. I usually just end up eating fruit and cheese for most of my meals. I actually lost two pounds on my last cruise!

What would you consider good food and something you would eat?

What would you consider good food and something you would eat?

I'm honestly not that picky lol! I think it's because the ships use different spices than I am used to eating at home. I've never eaten much on my cruises. I definitely wasn't complaining...I don't cruise to eat!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

One (of a number) of reasons we stopped sailing Princess was a dining steward who refused to listen to me when I repeatedly asked for black coffee and not dessert. Each night he brought multiple desserts and set them all down in front of me. As politely, yet firmly, as I could I repeated if I want something I will request it. If I don't ask for it, please do not bring it. Hew was going to have it his way and I literally took to leaving the table when he was bringing dessert and my DH had them removed when I returned from the restroom. Some of us do not want piles of sugary sweets and we certainly expect a professional 'waiter' to respect our request.