Excursion dilema. Need opinions.

Mrs.Gosse

Ok, we are doing the inside passage in Sept. and we reserved some excursions but now I am not sure I am happy with them. I am wondering if we should do something a little more adventurous. I would love some opinions from people who have done these particular ones or maybe ones they have done that are not on my list.

Of our 3 excursions, 2 of them are on a boat. I don't know that I want to spend so much of our trip on a boat. We are definitely doing the glacier tour in some fashion but there are several options for that. I think I most torn on spending that long whale watching (especially over dinner hours) and the totem pole/eagle/lighthouse one. I can not do the float trip since I have an inner ear thing that makes me too scared to do anything where I could flip out of the boat and my head go under. Even though DH would love it since he used to white water raft.

We are food people and don't want to miss a dinner in Alaska and the whale thing will go over a dinner time.

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest

JNU630B | Juneau, Alaska

White Pass Scenic Railway

SGY200A | Skagway, Alaska

Skagway Street Car City Tour

SGY150D | Skagway, Alaska

Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles Excursion

KTN600A | Ketchikan, Alaska

Two questions:

1. Are you visiting Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay?

2. Would you consider kayaking? I don't know what your ear problem is exactly, but I have vestibular neuronitis in my right ear and kayak regularly.

Glacier bay. No I wouldn't be able to kayak. :( I hate that I am going to hold DH back on some of these things. I am just Wondering if we could do something more interesting than what we are doing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

What are your hours in Juneau? Could you book a different whale watch that doesn't interfere with dinner? Personally, I don't book my tours around dinner. We won't get back to our ship until about 8 PM after our whale watch, but we will just eat a late dinner that night. It will be totally worth it.

There are many independent whale watch vendors who get excellent reviews and have smaller boats than the huge cruise line tours. We went with Orca Enterprises last year and will use them again this year. Many people also like Harv and Marv.

Are you only doing the short summit tour on the White Pass Rail? I've done that, but much prefer the longer tours into the Yukon. We have used Chilkoot Charters twice, for the Yukon tour to Caribou Crossing with the sled dogs, and for the Lake Bennett tour. I liked the Lake Bennett tour the best, but that's a matter of personal preference.

I haven't been on the Lighthouse, Totems, etc. tour that you mention, but I haven't heard good reviews about it either.

Since you have a concern about "holding back" your husband, frankly that is a decision you both are making. Why aren't you just splitting up? Simple solution for some people. I never compromise on what I do during my travels and never hinder anyone else's choices.

IF you aren't going to skip any meals, then why are you even considering a whale watch? Simply don't go.

In my opinion your Ketchikan ship tour is a poor choice. At best so so reviews. It involves looking at a basic lighthouse, there are far better tours to consider in my opinion. There are eagles ALL over Alaska, look up.

Mendenhall is considered a basic glacier tour, in my opinion, it isn't very active, and for the better option, you need an hour to walk up to Nugget Falls. The "wow" glacier tours involve helicopters with landings, alternatively, the views are fantastic from floatplanes.

Your Skagway choices are popular tours that are enjoyed by many.

Your post is "interesting". It appears to me, you already have made your touring choices. I did comment on your Ketchikan option that you may want to take another look at. But in the end, go with what you wish. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. :)

Since I asked the questions, I'll give my opinions for what it's worth - much of it repeat of the previous posters.

Juneau: If you are going into Glacier Bay, you can skip Mendenhall. Focus on getting on a whale watch that will work for you. We've had awesome experiences on both of the whale watches we have taken out of Juneau.

Skagway: Skip the streetcar thing and take a longer trip on the train - into the Yukon if possible. You can read about Skagway on-line or in books. If you have spare time you can quickly do the town and/or get a spruce tip beer at Skagway Brewing.

Ketchikan: We have taken the tour on your list and were not impressed - especially when compared to the whale watch in Juneau. We usually focus on doing something active in Ketchikan - hence the kayaking question. Good luck here.

Since I asked the questions, I'll give my opinions for what it's worth - much of it repeat of the previous posters.

Juneau: If you are going into Glacier Bay, you can skip Mendenhall. Focus on getting on a whale watch that will work for you. We've had awesome experiences on both of the whale watches we have taken out of Juneau.

Skagway: Skip the streetcar thing and take a longer trip on the train - into the Yukon if possible. You can read about Skagway on-line or in books. If you have spare time you can quickly do the town and/or get a spruce tip beer at Skagway Brewing.

Ketchikan: We have taken the tour on your list and were not impressed - especially when compared to the whale watch in Juneau. We usually focus on doing something active in Ketchikan - hence the kayaking question. Good luck here.

Thank you so much. I loved your advice. I was torn on the streetcar but I like history goofy tours. But I am willing to not do it. I DID want to go to that brewing company. I am really not feeling that lighthouse one. I am so glad to hear someone that has been.

I guess it is a matter of priorities, but personally, in Alaska I would not allow shipboard dinners or lack thereof to impact my schedule. I'm not sure what dining time you've chosen, but another consideration is by that time of year it may be dark at late seating.

I guess it is a matter of priorities' date=' but personally, in Alaska I would not allow shipboard dinners or lack thereof to impact my schedule. I'm not sure what dining time you've chosen, but another consideration is by that time of year it may be dark at late seating.[/quote']

I said a meal in ALASKA. A RESTAURANT IN ALASKA. My husband and I are both chefs so food experience is a priority. I never said a word about eating in the dining room.

Thank you so much. I loved your advice. I was torn on the streetcar but I like history goofy tours. But I am willing to not do it. I DID want to go to that brewing company. I am really not feeling that lighthouse one. I am so glad to hear someone that has been.

We are doing a Taxi Cab Tour in Ketchikan and heard good things about going with Dave or Kat! However, the price is per vehicle per hour and not per person, so gets cheaper for up to 6. Have fun whatever you decide!:D

We are doing a Taxi Cab Tour in Ketchikan and heard good things about going with Dave or Kat! However, the price is per vehicle per hour and not per person, so gets cheaper for up to 6. Have fun whatever you decide!:D

I will look that up. Thank you! :)

Ok, we are doing the inside passage in Sept. and we reserved some excursions but now I am not sure I am happy with them. I am wondering if we should do something a little more adventurous. I would love some opinions from people who have done these particular ones or maybe ones they have done that are not on my list.

Of our 3 excursions, 2 of them are on a boat. I don't know that I want to spend so much of our trip on a boat. We are definitely doing the glacier tour in some fashion but there are several options for that. I think I most torn on spending that long whale watching (especially over dinner hours) and the totem pole/eagle/lighthouse one. I can not do the float trip since I have an inner ear thing that makes me too scared to do anything where I could flip out of the boat and my head go under. Even though DH would love it since he used to white water raft.

We are food people and don't want to miss a dinner in Alaska and the whale thing will go over a dinner time.

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest

JNU630B | Juneau, Alaska

White Pass Scenic Railway

SGY200A | Skagway, Alaska

Skagway Street Car City Tour

SGY150D | Skagway, Alaska

Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles Excursion

KTN600A | Ketchikan, Alaska

We just got back from our trip to alaska and had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend the following:

Juneau - loved the mendenhall glacier - went there after our floatplane trip was cancelled due to weather. Stopped at the Red Dog Saloon for a beer and a "duck fart" shot ( you have to try it) left very happy!!

Skagway - we rented a jeep from Green Jeep Tours http://www.alaskagreenjeeptours.com/- they give you a mile by mile map and an audio cd for a self-guided drive/tour to the yukon- emerald lake and carcross desert. We also stopped at the Yukon suspension bridge for some bison chili and amazing views

Ketchikan - We rented a motorcycle from Panhandle Motorcycles https://sites.google.com/site/panhandlemotorcycleadventures/ - the owners are super nice. I was nice getting out of the touristy areas and seeing Alaska.

Highly recommend the Bering Sea Crab fisherman tour - http://alaskacrabtour.com/ - it is well worth the price. It is a very hands on/ interactive tour - you will also see lots of eagles. Our family ranged in age from 15 to 74 and all were enjoying the tour and said it was the favorite of our trip!

Hope this helps!! enjoy

We are taking our first trip to Alaska in August so I read your post to compare tour ideas.

Have you thought about a helicopter tour? We have ours booked! :)

We did a doors off helicopter tour in Hawaii and it was truly the most fantastic thing we did.

DH is also going on a summit tour with glacier landing. I cannot do this (because of heart condition, that elevation in unpressurized plane)

but I booked it for him and I'll do something else.

We don't always do the same thing because my limitations shouldn't stop him from doing something he wants to do.

What ever you do have a great trip! :)

I said a meal in ALASKA. A RESTAURANT IN ALASKA. My husband and I are both chefs so food experience is a priority. I never said a word about eating in the dining room.

OK, please allow me to rephrase my reply; I would not let mealtime interfere with excursion timing. Dining time has the luxury of flexibility. FWIW, last June DW and I had a great dinner with an impeccable view at the top of Mt Roberts:

http://www.goldbelttours.com/mount-roberts-tramway/timberline-bar-grill/

OK' date=' please allow me to rephrase my reply; I would not let mealtime interfere with excursion timing. Dining time has the luxury of flexibility. FWIW, last June DW and I had a great dinner with an impeccable view at the top of Mt Roberts:

http://www.goldbelttours.com/mount-roberts-tramway/timberline-bar-grill/[/quote']

That sounds good! I think we have time at the end of our excursion to make it up there - BUT with almost 10000 fellow travelers in port at the same time....it may be a little busy that last hour before sail away

I was just going to post the exact same thing for Ketchikan!

We (party of 4) just booked with Dave/Kat yesterday for a three hour tour. They seem to have good review on tripadvisor.

We are taking our first trip to Alaska in August so I read your post to compare tour ideas.

Have you thought about a helicopter tour? We have ours booked! :)

We did a doors off helicopter tour in Hawaii and it was truly the most fantastic thing we did.

DH is also going on a summit tour with glacier landing. I cannot do this (because of heart condition, that elevation in unpressurized plane)

but I booked it for him and I'll do something else.

We don't always do the same thing because my limitations shouldn't stop him from doing something he wants to do.

What ever you do have a great trip! :)

I would love to do the helicopter one that goes to the glacier! DH doesn't want to spend that kind of money and I understand that totally. I bet Hawaii was INCREDIBLE from that vantage point. I have many times tried to convince him to do the float trip and I will do something else but he feels bad. I am going to keep trying because I really don't want him to miss out on that. It's not really rapids but he loves white water rafting. I am hearing good things about the whale watching now. I was worried it my be kind of boring if there was almost no whale sightings but everyone is saying it is great.

We just got back from Alaska. We did the helicopter/dog sledding excursion in Juneau. It was on the Norris glacier. Our pilot took us on a short tour of the ice fields before landing. The views were absolutely amazing. It was expensive but worth every penny. It was definitely our favorite excursion of any we have ever done.

We toyed with a whale watching excursion but Im glad we didn't book before we left. We saw tons of whales from the ship...if you have a balcony you might want to reconsider JMO. As ridiculous as it sounds...after a while it became "oh look, more whales...so what do you want to do now?"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just an opinion from an Alaskan: anyone who is interested in history will most likely find the White Pass & Yukon Railway more exciting than the street car trolly in Skagway.

And while I don't want to offend the OP I also thought that she meant that she didn't want to miss dinner on the ship!

Just an opinion from an Alaskan: anyone who is interested in history will most likely find the White Pass & Yukon Railway more exciting than the street car trolly in Skagway.

I agree, and doing a longer tour into the Yukon is even better. The Lake Bennett trip is the best if you are interested in the gold rush history. I found the small historic town of Bennett to be quite interesting.

And while I don't want to offend the OP I also thought that she meant that she didn't want to miss dinner on the ship!

I think a lot of people assumed that because there are so many people who DO say things like that on this board. :rolleyes: Apologies to the OP for the assumption. After reading these boards for so many years and hearing the same old questions over and over, some of us do tend to get a little presumptuous at times. :o

/QUOTE]

Two things -

1) You and your husband do not have to be joined at the hip for the entire cruise. If he wants to do something that you cannot handle, he should go ahead and do it. I have even gone on trips w/o my wife - not often but sometimes and some of these trips were expensive photo trips. A cruise is not 100% togetherness. Life is not even 100% togetherness.

2) A cruise in AK is all about the scenery. I would happily miss meals for wonderful scenery and the opportunity for a good photograph. One of the best AK pictures I have ever taken which hangs on my wall as a large print was taken on a small boat trip when everyone else was eating dinner. You can eat anywhere. You can't see neat AK stuff anywhere.

DON