Fashion question...

Thrak

One major "don't" was wearing an Aloha shirt on a cruise that was to a non-tropical destination.

Worse than that ... DW wore a matching dress :eek:

1656438_10200830608166924_1020302625_n.jpg

Really don't care what CC thinks:p

Oh and our plane wears an aloha shirt ... all the time :cool:

178299_3671933256348_1873630238_o.jpg

Be very careful not to call it a "fanny pack" in Oz. You want to refer to it as a "bum bag". I've been told that "fanny" has a very different meaning down under. :eek:

Who Am I to argue with a lion?

Edited by Potstech

Isn't it a standard CD joke that you can tell married men by the shirts their wives pick out for them to wear?

I gave up on Beau Brummel years ago, so when our youngest daughter took over his wardrobe choices when she was 12, my life became simpler. She buys all his clothes now, birthdays, Father's Day, etc. and her kids are now in on the project. He has two very nice Aloha shirts, and he wears them on cruises.

I am a big fan of Hawaiian shirts. I'll wear one in any climate, any destination. Including a cruise to Alaska! And I absolutely would NOT change my mind on that because of CC reactions...

Jim

"Originally Posted by Thrak View Post

Be very careful not to call it a "fanny pack" in Oz. You want to refer to it as a "bum bag". I've been told that "fanny" has a very different meaning down under. "

as does bum up here.

Edited by Potstech

Be very careful not to call it a "fanny pack" in Oz. You want to refer to it as a "bum bag". I've been told that "fanny" has a very different meaning down under. :eek:

HA ! I had to look that one up. It's a new one for me. Where do you people come up with this stuff? I don't think any other country uses that one, even the British.

I never put stock in any article on what to wear or not to wear. I always try to look nice and dress appropriately but if I want to wear an Aloha shirt in the dead of winter I will. If it bothers you I suggest you look elsewhere. As for looking like a tourist, aside from being aware of my surroundings and safety I could not care less if I look like a tourist. If someone says something to me I simply point out that your vacation dollars (or whatever) are going to local merchants and helping their economy...they should welcome me with open arms.

I am constantly amazed at people who are so concerned about what total strangers think. On our upcoming cruise I can assure you there will be only one person on that ship who's opinion of me matters in any way.

The DH has a few vintage Hawaiian shirts that I've bought him over the years. He goes through phases with them. He'll wear them on a few tropical cruises then won't wear them again for a couple of years and then he'll start wearing them again. The great thing about vintage Aloha shirts is that they never are really out of style. He would never wear one on a non-tropical or warm climate cruise but we certainly don't care if others do. I think as long as your within the dress code of whatever cruise ship you're on, you should be able to wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in. I agree...who cares about what others think is "fashionable.";)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't wear tropical shirts on a non tropical cruise. I am much more fashionable than that. Instead I will wear my striped tee shirt with my plaid shorts with black knee high socks and black loafers with a fanny pack and a big straw hat with 2 beer cans on top. At the pool I am I am in fashion with my very tiny speedo!!!! (not really). I have no problem with men who wear tropical shirts although I don't personally. I rarely agree with these lists. (Oh, no offense to men who might wear that stuff.)

In other words, there are a great many worse fashion statements made by passengers than a happy colorful Aloha shirt.

I am a big fan of Hawaiian shirts. I'll wear one in any climate, any destination. Including a cruise to Alaska! And I absolutely would NOT change my mind on that because of CC reactions...

Jim

You go!!

In other words, there are a great many worse fashion statements made by passengers than a happy colorful Aloha shirt.

Really? Name some.

For the record, I wear socks with sandals. Berkinstocks in fact.

I will wear an open collared long sleeve shirt over a t-shirt. I do not tuck it in and it is a light jacket layer like that.

Uncombed hair. Let the wind blow baby.

Heck, I will even wear grey tones and brown tones at the same time.

Not ready for Milan,

Martin

I think for any cruise I've ever been on, the only thing fashionable that I've ever found disturbing in any way, are clothes that obviously don't fit someone. And I don't mean just a little tight. I mean at least two sizes too small for people, and they seem oblivious to it. WHAT they're wearing doesn't really matter, that's always everyone's personal taste, just hoping that it will at least properly fit. My .02 [emoji6]

We've seen plenty of aloha shirts in Europe - and not just on American tourists. We have several friends in Germany and Switzerland and they all own and wear aloha shirts from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since Adam Levigne began wearing them a few times on "The Voice"...they are now being sold everywhere here in CA. From the ritziest stores to Walmart! It seems at this point-in-time, at least here in SoCal...Aloha shirts rule! But then, vintage ones have always been quite the thing here in SoCal for years.:D I'm going to hunt down a nice vintage one for the DH if I can find one that is reasonably priced as they usually cost a lot. The DS pulled out a vintage Aloha shirt that I (a woman) used to wear back in the 80s that fit him and he is one happy kid (19)...I'd be happy about that...accept he's wearing it for "Costume Day" at the camp where he teaches Karate. They have "Costume Day" every Thurs. and it's always a different theme. This week it's Hawaii! :D

Tommy Bahama makes some beautiful Hawaiian shirts, the prints are wonderful!! My husband has had a few for years now, the quality is great and they still look like new! Worth the little extra to pay in the beginning, they hold up so well!! [emoji108]

You can buy a copy of the shirt that Tom Selleck wore in Magnum PI a bunch of years ago. Magnum PI was very popular in Europe and I have seen Europeans wearing that shirt a number of times.

Since the internet things have become very global. You used to be able to spot Americans by the clothes they wore but now that is rarely possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums