Cunard Queen Victoria - An introduction and tour of the ship

Gazroberts80

Introduction - Review with many pictures

http://pictureherethereandeverywhere.blogspot.com/2014/06/queen-victoria-baltic-adventure.html

It was 30 years ago today.....and I had just stepped off a Big Green Double Decker bus at the Pier Head in Liverpool, with my Grandparents. As virtually all Liverpudlians do, they immediately pointed out the Three Graces "That's the Liver Building, the Cunard building and Customs house." From that day on I was aware that Cunard line were the most famous and one of the oldest shipping lines in the world. I was filled with tales from my Grandpa, a Captain of merchant ships, of the Queen Mary, Elizabeth and the QE2. Here in front of me was where this great line was formed and once headquarterd. Liverpool of the early 80's was not Swinging as it had in the 60's and was far from the vibrant cultural centre it is today. However that is an irrelevance to this story and from that point on I was hooked, and one day dreamed of stepping on board a Cunard Queen.

So in June of this year I finally got the chance to Sail on one of their three Ocean liners, the Queen Victoria.......... Review continues with many pictures

http://pictureherethereandeverywhere.blogspot.com/2014/06/queen-victoria-baltic-adventure.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Introduction - Review with many pictures

It was 30 years ago today.....and I had just stepped off a Big Green Double Decker bus at the Pier Head in Liverpool, with my Grandparents. As virtually all Liverpudlians do, they immediately pointed out the Three Graces "That's the Liver Building, the Cunard building and Customs house." From that day on I was aware that Cunard line were the most famous and one of the oldest shipping lines in the world. I was filled with tales from my Grandpa, a Captain of merchant ships, of the Queen Mary, Elizabeth and the QE2. Here in front of me was where this great line was formed and once headquarterd. Liverpool of the early 80's was not Swinging as it had in the 60's and was far from the vibrant cultural centre it is today. However that is an irrelevance to this story and from that point on I was hooked, and one day dreamed of stepping on board a Cunard Queen.

So in June of this year I finally got the chance to Sail on one of their three Ocean liners, the Queen Victoria.......... Review continues with many pictures

Very interesting and informative! We are on the Baltic cruise next Sunday and really looking forward to it.:D

Well thank you for the kind reviews! It's so nice to receive positive feedback from people and I did not expect to get such good comments from seasoned Cunarders. I'm very excited to be booked on a roundtrip trans Atlantic on QM2 in August, so maybe I will be privileged to meet some people on this site on that crossing.

Great photos and thank you for posting!

I was on the QM2 (Transatlantic round-trip) on 5th June and here's one of the photos I took of you leaving on the QV. We were supposed to leave the same time as you but missed our slot.

10441ms.jpg

Well thank you for the kind reviews! It's so nice to receive positive feedback from people and I did not expect to get such good comments from seasoned Cunarders. I'm very excited to be booked on a roundtrip trans Atlantic on QM2 in August, so maybe I will be privileged to meet some people on this site on that crossing.

Hi, I was just going to thank you for your review and photos. Brought back memories of our trip last November.

I'm looking forward to a B2B in August maybe it is the same one. When are you on board?

Catherine

Marvellous pictures of QV , looking forward to the ones you will take of QM2

Look forward to meeting you on board, as I also am doing the b2b Southampton to New York returning via Halifax. As I mentioned I was in Liverpool when the Transport were Trams and the Overhead railway was in operation. I was born in Wallasey and remember the 3 graces well.

Edited by Pennbank

I think the responses tonight sum up why I've grown up so fond of Cunard line and what it stands for. Growing up my parents were lucky enough to return to Southampton from NYC after flying there on Concorde (They enjoyed QE2 more) although as a young lad I was extremely jealous of their Concorde flight. Since then and obviously before that through the tales from my grandparents, I have so wanted to travel on board Cunard. I was visiting my parents this weekend and have had my mum reading an interview with Captain Wells, who will be Captaining the August crossings. Her Father, my Grandpa was likewise a Captain and Warsash trained, so she's extremely happy about that, as sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. I genuinely feel very humbled by the kind words about my review and it's definitely motivated me to do a similar blog on the QM2.

Gazroberts - - There is a meet and greet scheduled for the second day of the crossing, Thursday, August 21, at 11 a.m. in the Commodore Club. The meetings always take place on the port side of that beautiful room right by the piano. Everyone is welcome.

Also, there is a roll call for that back to back. Go to the Cunard Roll Calls, then Queen Mary 2 and then find the thread titled "QM2 Back to Back 20th August, 2014 Transatlantic." It's usually near the top of the threads. You can post on there and get to know some of the people.

Hello,thank you very much for your very high quality photographs.If we had not been on QV they would certainly have convinced us to do so.We went to the Baltics earlier this month on Celebrity.Whilst we enjoyed both the ship and the cruise,it was not Cunard.So back to Cunard for a trip on the QE in October.One thing I struggle to understand ?,how do you take so many photographs without people spoiling them.

Rodger

Hello,thank you very much for your very high quality photographs.If we had not been on QV they would certainly have convinced us to do so.We went to the Baltics earlier this month on Celebrity.Whilst we enjoyed both the ship and the cruise,it was not Cunard.So back to Cunard for a trip on the QE in October.One thing I struggle to understand ?,how do you take so many photographs without people spoiling them.

Rodger

You either stay up late or get up early.

You either stay up late or get up early.
Quite! ;)

My parents (two trips on QM2) commented on my photos with "where are all the other people we saw?" As they didn't "surface" until well after 8, and retired soon after leaving the show at the theatre, they only saw the ship when it was busy. Whereas I was out and about with my camera very early. As they'd never seen the ship quiet, they couldn't conceive it could be!

On this forum I was once accused of being paid by Cunard, who (so say :rolleyes: ) "cleared bars and lounges" for me and my camera "otherwise how could you possibly get empty rooms?" I presume this person enjoyed a lie-in each morning, instead of being up and out at the very best time of day on any ship :) .

Edited by pepperrn

One thing I struggle to understand ?,how do you take so many photographs without people spoiling them.

Rodger

I was on this cruise, and am mortally wounded at the suggestion that I would have spoiled the photographs.:D

The OP even managed to photograph my favourite table in the Commodore Club on the one occasion I was not in residence.

Mary

Thank you for sharing your blog. We have been on the QM2, which I love, on 5 TA crossings now and our December cruise on the QV will be our first cruise on a different Cunard ship. So these great photos and your glowing report are music to our ears and make me even more excited.