Has anyone cruised with a child under a year old?

Seems like it hasn't happened yet, maybe you're wrong:rolleyes:

Sure it's possible, but most of these threads eventually spiral down to the same basic views.

1) Sure - bring the little ones, but just be prepared for any issues that may arise.

2) Why would you bring the kids? They won't remember the cruise, and crying, screaming, snot nosed brats ruin MY vacation because MY enjoyment is more important than yours - just leave them for a week with family members to deal with.

3) Why would you even consider bringing any human under the age of 18?

Do enough reading on these boards, and this tends to be the way these threads turn out.

Forgot to add that being a holiday weekend (in the US at least) many regulars may not be home to comment.

Edited by A2Mich

Aww, congratulations. :) Welcome to the most challenging, wonderful, frustrating, amazing part of your entire life.

Only you and your wife can make this decision but here is my immediate thought: your baby is two weeks old. I guarantee your wife is in no position or state of mind to make this decision right now, or even in a few months. Right now, baby is completely dependant on mother. Your wife can't even consider making this decision right now. Just a thought. :)

God bless.

Couldn't agree more! My baby girl is 6 months old and there is no way I'd leave her anywhere, lol. We have 2 other children (ages 3 and 2) who have been cruising since they were 6 months (our upcoming trip will be my 3 year old's 4th cruise). My husband and I have always viewed vacations as family trips, at least until the kids get a little older. Cruising with a baby was really easy for us. Read the family board for lots of suggestions!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more! My baby girl is 6 months old and there is no way I'd leave her anywhere, lol. We have 2 other children (ages 3 and 2) who have been cruising since they were 6 months (our upcoming trip will be my 3 year old's 4th cruise). My husband and I have always viewed vacations as family trips, at least until the kids get a little older. Cruising with a baby was really easy for us. Read the family board for lots of suggestions!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'll check it out. Thanks

Yup. My son is currently 16 months and has already cruised twice. In three weeks we're taking him again. :)

His first was at 9 months old. We are thankful to be able to include him in our vacation plans. The first two times my mom accompanied us. The cruise we're taking in a few weeks will be our first as a family of three without others coming along.

We successfully used the Royal Babies and Tots nursery onboard and me son did great there. The women were fabulous with him and we had a little time to ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by smileyperry

We have eight friends and family members traveling with us but no other children.

With that many people in your group you should have lots of help with your baby. A few years ago most of my family went on the Oasis. My 2 year great nephew had lots of people willing to spend time with him.

My wife and I were blessed with a beautiful baby girl two weeks ago. We had a cruise scheduled for December but we cancelled it because we didn't want to travel with her or leave her behind at six months old. We rescheduled the trip for May of next year but our issue is still the same. Should we take a 10 month old on a cruise for seven nights or leave her behind and spend the cruise worrying about how she's doing?

We just cruised last month with our 7.5 month old. See my review for the Oasis (linked in my signature) for a detailed review / tips. Overall: It was a different experience, I would use family or the Royal Nursery more to get some alone time, but overall it was great to spend time focused with her versus distractions of day to day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you have someone you trust who is willing to keep your baby, getting away for a cruise will likely be a lot of fun, and a welcome break, for you guys.

Barring that (my DW wouldn't hear of it, and neither would either of the Grandmas :D ) cruising with babies isn't really that difficult. I was very hesitant, but we actually took my son when he had just turned 4 months. It was a disney cruise, which requires 3 months of age rather the the 6 months the other lines require. Since then, we've taken him again at 11 months, 15 months, and 19 months. I don't regret any of them. In fact he really solidified his walking on his 11 month cruise.

RCCL and DCL have really great programs for babies. RCCL has the Royal Babies and Tots, which is awesome. The nursery and toy lending program were great, and at least the Allure had a room where you could take your baby to and just play.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a baby of any age on a cruise, you just need to adjust expectations accordingly. Honestly the hardest part for us is planning excursions around car seats. I look for ports where beaches/activites are walkable from the pier or where we can find reliable transportation with seat belts.

One more thing I'll mention, in our case our DS has gotten progressively more difficult with each cruise. I'm not sure where the hump is where he'll start to get easier, but don't necessarily think that waiting longer will make the experience easier. :)

Last cruise with a 22 month old we booked two connecting outside view cabins. Gave us extra space, two bathrooms, and a place for quiet naps (for him and us). Baby monitor worked well. This time with 4 year old we booked the RFS and are bringing our sitter. Best of both worlds.

I get the need for adult time but I don't think it's a vacation without my child. I look forward to the time with my spouse away from work, and the same relaxed atmosphere is good for us as a family.

We took our son on his first cruise when he was 9 months old. We had to take so much stuff with us it was insane. And we felt trapped in our room for most of the cruise. The worst part is that he developed c diff. Now we can't say for sure that he caught the bacteria from the cruise ship. However, the pediatrician felt strongly that that was where he most likely picked it up.

We took our son on his first cruise when he was 9 months old. We had to take so much stuff with us it was insane. And we felt trapped in our room for most of the cruise. The worst part is that he developed c diff. Now we can't say for sure that he caught the bacteria from the cruise ship. However, the pediatrician felt strongly that that was where he most likely picked it up.

Probably stupid question but what is c diff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have someone you trust who is willing to keep your baby, getting away for a cruise will likely be a lot of fun, and a welcome break, for you guys.

Barring that (my DW wouldn't hear of it, and neither would either of the Grandmas :D ) cruising with babies isn't really that difficult. I was very hesitant, but we actually took my son when he had just turned 4 months. It was a disney cruise, which requires 3 months of age rather the the 6 months the other lines require. Since then, we've taken him again at 11 months, 15 months, and 19 months. I don't regret any of them. In fact he really solidified his walking on his 11 month cruise.

RCCL and DCL have really great programs for babies. RCCL has the Royal Babies and Tots, which is awesome. The nursery and toy lending program were great, and at least the Allure had a room where you could take your baby to and just play.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a baby of any age on a cruise, you just need to adjust expectations accordingly. Honestly the hardest part for us is planning excursions around car seats. I look for ports where beaches/activites are walkable from the pier or where we can find reliable transportation with seat belts.

One more thing I'll mention, in our case our DS has gotten progressively more difficult with each cruise. I'm not sure where the hump is where he'll start to get easier, but don't necessarily think that waiting longer will make the experience easier. :)

Agree with waiting isn't necessarily easier. I've spoken with several folks who cruised with babies at multiple ages and said by far 6-10 months (before they're truly mobile or you can control it more) is easier. Hardest was 1-2 when they want to walk and touch everything and you can't really control it as much because they don't understand / follow most instructions yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took our daughter min her first cruise as a 14 month old but she had just begun crawling. We took her again as a 16monith old who was crawling like the speed of sound. Both were highly enjoyable trips. Holidaying with a baby and kids in the future is fantastic as long as you adjust your expectations. Pre-baby cruises we struggled to get to breakfast before it closed and stayed up going to all the late shows. Cruising with a baby we often had 2 breakfasts, ate dinner at 6pm, watched the 7pm show from up the back so our daughter could crawl around and then went back to the cabin to out bub to bed and we read, watched movies on iPads etc. Still a lot of fun, but different. People say why bother - it was still a good break - I didn't need to figure out what to cook for dinner, didn't have to clean a high chair tray, no cooking, preparing etc.

We visited royal babies and tots for free play as it was a good space to let our daughter run free and get lots of energy out. On our second cruise she went to the nursery one night as we were invited to eat with the captain and while it allowed us to have a good dinner with him I found it hard as I was wondering if she was ok. I did ring a number of times but I still worried!

It creates fantastic memories for the adults - the bubs won't remember but I will remember cradling my daughter as she slept in my arms as I floated in the sea off the coast of Vanuatu...

My wife and I were blessed with a beautiful baby girl two weeks ago. We had a cruise scheduled for December but we cancelled it because we didn't want to travel with her or leave her behind at six months old. We rescheduled the trip for May of next year but our issue is still the same. Should we take a 10 month old on a cruise for seven nights or leave her behind and spend the cruise worrying about how she's doing?

we have cruised with a small child...no problems...in fact, I think the sea movement actually calmed her and she slept very well.

our granddaughter is not even 2 yet and this will be her third cruise with us.

can't wait.!!

our daughter started cruising at a early age too and still loves it.!

these are memories you don't want to miss...

It all depends on who is caring for your little one. It can be a win win! Whatever you decide - DO NOT feel guilty for taking a vacation without children. Totally wasted energy. If your little one is with someone you trust then enjoy your time. Laugh about how hard it is to find a topic of conversation that does no include your child. You can still be an amazing parent if you leave them for a week. Two different vacations. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We cruised with our 10-month old in January on the Liberty and had a blast. We took it easy with him. Got a balcony room so we could enjoy that gorgeous view while Isaac napped. We brought grandma with us, so she could spend time with him when we wanted to go to a specialty restaurant. That wonderful woman also watched him overnight one night, so we could catch up on sleep! :o:D

I have a full review with photos. The link is in my signature :)

I remember cruising on the EOS a number of years ago. We ran into a younger couple on day 1 with a a baby (probably less than a year old) and a boy who looked to be about 4 years old. All 4 were wide eyed and happy to be there. On the last night we saw all 4 in the Promenade. Mom was sitting holding the baby with a look of complete exhaustion while Dad watched the 4 year old run around in circles. Dad had that look that says "Well, as long as the kid isn't juggling knives then we're good". I laughed to myself thinking that having raised 3 kids, no way I'd take them on a cruise until they were old enough to enjoy it and remember it.

Your choice of course but if it was me I'd either wait or leave the baby home with a trusting family member.

We cruised with our 10-month old in January on the Liberty and had a blast. We took it easy with him. Got a balcony room so we could enjoy that gorgeous view while Isaac napped. We brought grandma with us, so she could spend time with him when we wanted to go to a specialty restaurant. That wonderful woman also watched him overnight one night, so we could catch up on sleep! :o:D

I have a full review with photos. The link is in my signature :)

You really did have a full review. Thanks to you, your wife, and your son for creating it. It looks like you all had a great time. I really enjoyed reading it.

I have a great deal of time to decide if I'm going to take her but your review is a push in the trip with baby direction.

Also, I see that you all are sailing on the Quantum of the Seas in April. I'm looking forward to your review.

Edited by gelli8112

Granddaughter no. 1 - first cruise at 14 months. First time in her little life she slept through the night! Perhaps the rocking of the ship helped keep her asleep. The waiters were wonderful and had her fruit and juice waiting for her at each meal. (This was the time when all three meals had same waitstaff) The headwaiter was her best friend and carried her around the dining room each night. Everyone on the ship knew her. A reclining stroller that allowed for sleeping was a great help so we were out later than her usual bedtime and she slept as we strolled the decks. Being Grandma.. I'd rather be ON the ship with them, helping out, then at home trying to wrangle a 14 month old for a week who missed her parents. (That comment directed to all who suggest you leave your baby home with grandma!) We cruised from our homeport so there were no carseats to deal with. It does take some extra planning. Diapers.. bring a bunch of sandwich size ziplocs for packing up soiled diapers so they don't smell up your cabin. If you travel with grandparents, connecting rooms are helpful. One can sit in the cabin next door, watch tv etc while baby sleeps. Suggest bringing baby's blanket and soothing items so crib seems more like home. She ate table food so there was no issue with food. Again, waiters were incredibly helpful bringing kid friendly foods like pasta.

Granddaughter no. 2. First cruise at 10 months. My daughter brought 50 jars of baby food and brought 49 home. She learned to eat table food on this cruise and became a fantastic eater. Again, the waiters were more than helpful bringing cheese, pasta and other soft foods. Selected tours that were kid friendly, particularly the beach. She slept great too. Must be the sea air.

For bathing if you only have a shower in your cabin, a blow up soft tub works great in the shower. Will also work filled with pool water if your ship does not have a baby pool.

GD #1 has 7 cruises under her belt. GD#2 has 6. They love cruising! Both are platinum on RCCL.

When my kids were little, vacations were for family. I wish that cruising was popular then.. we'd have gone every year. Now that my kids are grown..and they have their own kids, I enjoy family vacations just as much.

You really did have a full review. Thanks to you, your wife, and your son for creating it. It looks like you all had a great time. I really enjoyed reading it.

I have a great deal of time to decide if I'm going to take her but your review is a push in the trip with baby direction.

If you need more convincing for your wife check out my Carnival Glory review. That's when we traveled with my son at 10 months. Lots of baby travel stuff in there. If you're interested in Royal Babies and Tots info I have some of that in my Enchantment review (son was 14 months then).

Both reviews are found in my signature.

I will have 3 more baby/toddler-cruiser reviews coming along in the next few months as well (Carnival Breeze, Brilliance of the Seas, and Liberty of the Seas). Yes, we're slightly cruise crazy over here!

Also, I see that you all are sailing on the Quantum of the Seas in April. I'm looking forward to your review.

Thanks so much! We had a great time. My husband was a little hesitant to sail with Isaac, but we read bionicman's review and it eased a lot of our concerns. Do a search to find his review from last year. We look forward to cruising with him again, and I can't wait to sail the Quantum. :)