Price Drop --Increase taxes?

lorim103

So I noticed a small price drop today for my December cruise. I called and was told yes there is a price drop but the taxes increased so the price drop was only $20 in total. I'll take it but I'm wondering how often this happens. On my last cruise I did get a nice price drop but don't think the taxes increased.

Anyone else experience this?

Happened to me too on our upcoming August cruise. I've been able to take advantage of a good number of price drops, but one of them showed a significant increase in taxes which even the agent couldn't explain when I questioned. :confused:

It's happened to us on 3 of our last five cruises. They can only quote you an estimate on taxes and if they find that it might be higher, they go ahead and raise the taxes. However, if it ends up being lower they give you OBC when you board for the difference. We've gotten anywhere from $.30 to $15pp.

So I noticed a small price drop today for my December cruise. I called and was told yes there is a price drop but the taxes increased so the price drop was only $20 in total. I'll take it but I'm wondering how often this happens. On my last cruise I did get a nice price drop but don't think the taxes increased.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, our $100 price drop became $75 because the taxes had gone up a little bit.

I've never booked a cruise and later received OBC because taxes or port fees dropped. And I've booked lots of cruises 6 to 9 months prior to sail date.

I do hear about price drops and tax/fee increases that offset the savings to the customer and slice the loss to the cruiseline.

Yep, has happened to us each and every time we've been lucky enough to get a drop....the taxes go UP and offset the drop total. However, we do book far out in advance when the taxes are truly the lowest "guesstimated" amount. And we too, have also had OBC for port fee reductions as well.....but be happy you got a price drop, that is wonderful!

As I said earlier, the price dropped $130 total for the two of us, but I just noticed the taxes, port charges, etc. stayed the same. I know around here my taxes are based on the dollar amount spent so why didn't the tax portion of this cruise actually drop a little too?

As I said earlier, the price dropped $130 total for the two of us, but I just noticed the taxes, port charges, etc. stayed the same. I know around here my taxes are based on the dollar amount spent so why didn't the tax portion of this cruise actually drop a little too?

The taxes and charges are not sales taxes and therefore not based on the cruise fare, they are taxes and fees paid to the ports where you are stopping.

It's not a sales tax. It's the taxes and fees the various ports charge Carnival for berthing the ship.

Yeah...has happen the majority of the time I get a price drop. I don't get it though...I would think when they initially give you the tax and fees when you originally book they wouldn't change but guess that isn't the case. I can tell you it just happens once per booking (for me). Once you submit your first claim it doesn't seem to change (the taxes and fees) after that.

I know that term is a little confusing. It makes a person believe they are based on the amount spent. But if you do a mock booking of a cruise you will see that taxes, fees and port expenses are the same if you book a 1A or a Penthouse Suite. These fees are based on per person not on per dollar spent.

Sharon

Our next cruise's taxes/fees dropped $30. I called to see about OBC and was told since we booked Early Saver they wouldnt give us anything. Tried to call again and try my luck with a different person and was told the same thing.

They said Early Saver protection only applies to the cruise fare and not other fees so they keep the $30. The fare we paid is still $100 lower than the current rates so we are still happy campers.

Our next cruise's taxes/fees dropped $30. I called to see about OBC and was told since we booked Early Saver they wouldnt give us anything. Tried to call again and try my luck with a different person and was told the same thing.

They said Early Saver protection only applies to the cruise fare and not other fees so they keep the $30. The fare we paid is still $100 lower than the current rates so we are still happy campers.

There is a chance you will get some or most of that back as an OBC when you are onboard. We had that on our last cruise. They increased the taxes when there was a price drop so our actual savings was very small. But when we got onboard and checked our account a couple of days into the cruise, we each had a small OBC that almost equaled the amount of the increase in taxes and fees.

Sharon

Thanks for explaining that. It's a new concept of the word taxes for me. Or, at least I really hadn't given it much thought before.

This is from the ticket contract

© Cruise Fare does not include Cruise Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses. “Cruise Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses” may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed on Carnival, by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities, as well as third party fees and charges arising from a vessel’s presence in a harbor or port. Cruise Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses may include U.S. Customs fees, head taxes, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, pilotage, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, as well as fees associated with navigation, berthing, stevedoring, baggage handling/storage, and security services. Cruise Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses may be assessed per passenger, per berth, per ton or per vessel. Assessments calculated on a per ton or per vessel basis will be spread over the number of passengers on the Vessel. Cruise Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses are subject to change and Carnival reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes you can... I did that early on when one of my bookings had a taxes/fee reduction. You will also usually find this on your S&S statement at the end of the cruise usually getting you back around $15.

Thank you.

If it happens prior to the cruise, do we also get a fee drop? The cruise isn't until next year.