Auckland to Sydney, port or starboard

rayho94066

I know this has been asked many times before and I still cannot find a good answer. We are taking the cruise this December from Auckand, after going up to Bay of Islands, then it is counterclockwise down the East then up the West coast of NZ, then on to Hobard then Sydney. I am booked in a cabin midship on one of the forward hump on the port side, I still have a chance of switching to an aft startboard hump cabin, but I am prone to seasick so not sure about the move. I am thinking of bringing a tripod so I am trying to maxime the time I can shoot from the balcony while the ship is sailing. I really want to catch some sperm whales offshore while on the ship. So should I keep the port cabin or switch to starboard? Would I get seasick (starboard hump cabin is right behind those suites)? Also, anyone has lens advice? I do not want to bring anything heavier or bigger than a 200mm so I am just going to bring an ultra wide and and 200mm with extender. Thanks in advance.

Well if the Tasman Sea is as rough as it often is it won't matter which cabin you are in. Same with the seas up the West coast of NZ. If you are prone to seasickness then be prepared. On the other hand the Tasman can sometimes be as smooth as a mill pond so it all depends on the luck of the draw.

As for whales, keep in mind that cruise ships on the open sea should never intentionally approach whales with the intent of giving their passengers a photo opportunity. In fact, you may see none at all. Last year we cruised the Tasman in January and the only whales we were lucky enough to catch were a pair that breached without warning about 50m off the port side. Afterwards the captain was asked if he intentionally steered towards them and he was horrified that anyone thought he might do that.

As you are prone to seasickness, I recommend you book a middle cabin, the lower the better (for possible rough seas). It doesn't really matter which side of the ship. All sides see the magnificent fjords on the west coast of NZ.

I know this has been asked many times before and I still cannot find a good answer. We are taking the cruise this December from Auckand, after going up to Bay of Islands, then it is counterclockwise down the East then up the West coast of NZ, then on to Hobard then Sydney. I am booked in a cabin midship on one of the forward hump on the port side, I still have a chance of switching to an aft startboard hump cabin, but I am prone to seasick so not sure about the move. I am thinking of bringing a tripod so I am trying to maxime the time I can shoot from the balcony while the ship is sailing. I really want to catch some sperm whales offshore while on the ship. So should I keep the port cabin or switch to starboard? Would I get seasick (starboard hump cabin is right behind those suites)? Also, anyone has lens advice? I do not want to bring anything heavier or bigger than a 200mm so I am just going to bring an ultra wide and and 200mm with extender. Thanks in advance.

Hi There,

I hope the answer you get is starboard as that is what we have booked for our cruise.

If you are leaving on the 9th head over to the roll calls as we have a very active one going.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889070&page=1

When is comes to lens I have one that I take with me on all our trips. Its a good all-rounder. Its an 18-270mm lens. this means I always have the right lens with me.

It really doesn't make a lot of difference when you are at sea as you are a fair distance off the coast and can see very little. In the fjords scenery is on both sides. The real advantage is in Sydney. Due to its size, Solstice must dock bow out which means the starboard side faces the opera house. Port side faces the hotel and bridge - not bad, but the opera house view is beautiful. Have fun!

The real advantage is in Sydney. Due to its size, Solstice must dock bow out which means the starboard side faces the opera house. Port side faces the hotel and bridge - not bad, but the opera house view is beautiful. Have fun!

Although this is currently true it may not always be. The wharf is currently being extended and work is due to be finished in September/October. Once this is done the larger ships should theoretically be able to dock bow-first. Whether they do so or not is yet to be seen.

Edited by gek

Thanks for all the advices, I'm more concerned with motion sickness than anything else so I will keep the midship cabin. One more thing, I plan to stay in Sydney for 2 to 3 days after the cruise, should I get the free transit visa (mail in passport and application) or get the 20.00 ETA which I can just apply online?

Thanks for all the advices, I'm more concerned with motion sickness than anything else so I will keep the midship cabin. One more thing, I plan to stay in Sydney for 2 to 3 days after the cruise, should I get the free transit visa (mail in passport and application) or get the 20.00 ETA which I can just apply online?

Definitely the ETA. Takes a matter of minutes, your passport never leaves your possession, and the ETA is electronically attached to your passport and waiting for your arrival. We've used it both times we've been to OZ and worked like a dream.

Celebrity ships "reverse" into Circular Quay at Sydney, so if you are outside early enough the view is great.

Once moored, the view of the Rocks (port side) is nice, but the view of the Sydney Opera House from the starboard side is worth choosing that side. We had the good fortune to be on a voyage that gave us an extra day in port before disembarkation, so sitting on the balcony in the late afternoon, watching the ferries and the SOH was terrific.

Possibly, the bow-first mooring is more an issue of safety than length of the berth. Arriving early morning, there is a bit of a three point turn in front of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. This is before the ferries and harbour traffic start. I'd hate to think they'd be doing that to reverse out for an early evening sailing. When we were there, a rather smaller P&O Australia vessel was also berthed in the same direction.