Summit Photo Review - June 29, 2014 to Bermuda in Aqua Class

prim8keeper

I'm going to end tonight's updates with the following photo which was taken right outside Revelations. It is probably my favorite ship photo.

IMG_11151_zps016143dd.jpg

We were on this cruise as well, and didn't capture this image - it's wonderful!

Hi Tom,

Loving your report so far with the great photos. I love the Summit and it is bringing back memories. Looking forward to Bermuda, we have been there a few years ago and we will be back next May.

Suz

Tom; just love your writing. Glad you had a good time. Living vicariously through your thread.

Summit looks beautiful.

Pat

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks everyone! I also just noticed that now my Blu menu picture is facing the right way. You can still feel free to turn your monitor though. :)

I'll post another update with the cabin photos and sail away later today.

I haven't been on the Summit in several years and your pictures are just great. We will be going on our cruise next month so I'm reading your thread with interest. Thank you for taking the time to do this for us.

Shortly after leaving Revelations we heard the announcement that informed us that the cabins were now ready. It was shortly after 1 pm. With great excitement we headed towards our cabin. I did all my research and had seen all the photos but you never really know if its going to be what you expected until you are there.

IMG_0118_zpsde6948bc.jpg

This is the first picture I took as we walked into the cabin. It is a very similar set up to the S class cabins. When you walk in there is a small highway with the bathroom on your right and the closet on your left. Note: that is not the location of the closet on the S class ships. Overall I liked the placement of the closet on the M class better and found the storage all around to be better. My only complaint was that if you are getting something out of the closet and someone is coming out of the bathroom be prepared!

IMG_11391_zpsec03b5e3.jpg

A close up of the bed. Another difference from the S class cabins I noticed right away was that on the M class they have actual night stands with drawers. I greatly preferred this as it gave me a place to my book, glasses, etc.

IMG_11381_zps70391349.jpg

After the bed there is a small sitting area. The sofa on the M class ships is slightly smaller but I found it to be more comfortable. It wasn't really big enough to take a nap on though which I will sometimes do on the S class ships. I also really like that you wipe down the sofa on the S class ships. You can appreciate this if you have ever been on a code red cruise and they did a deep cleaning before you boarded!

You can see we had our complimentary sparkling wine and our three apples. Now is this considered a fruit plate? Art? I was never a huge fan of the fruit bowl since we didn't each much of it, but I'm even less of a fan of the 3 pieces of fruit on a plate. When I'm on a cruise the last thing I think to myself is, "I could really go for a granny smith apple right about now!" I think they should just get rid of this. I would be really interested to hear how many apples they throw away each week from people who didn't eat them. At least I hope they are throwing them away after each cruise.

IMG_11401_zps00307ae7.jpg

This is what the cabin looks life if you are standing by the sofa and facing towards the door.

IMG_11411_zps87717f86.jpg

For the most part I thought the cabins were more similar than different. That said I didn't see any other cabins on the ship and I've heard from friends that the cabins vary greatly on the M class ships. Up next we will explore the wonderland that is a cruise ship bathroom!

I'm going to end tonight's updates with the following photo which was taken right outside Revelations. It is probably my favorite ship photo.

IMG_11151_zps016143dd.jpg

So Funny I was on that ship 3 times and alway pass by that place so fast, because of your picture next time aug 31 I will go more slowly to look at it.

:)

So Funny I was on that ship 3 times and alway pass by that place so fast, because of your picture next time aug 31 I will go more slowly to look at it.

:)

The first day we were on the ship I went by it pretty quickly but thought I should take a photo of it just because. That photo didn't turn out very good. So I went back and the photo I posted was actually taken on a sea day in the morning when the light was better. That is one thing I really like about taking photos. You can take something really ordinary or that someone would notice and make it magical with the right photo.

As an FYI to everyone if there is a photo you would like to see unedited just let me know the post number and I'll try and post the unedited version. I also lowered the quality on most of the photos to make it faster for me to upload them.

Thanks prim8keeper! I'm really enjoying your review and your excellent photos!

My wife and I are booked on the Summit Repositioning Cruise in October, so it's good to get a preview of the ship.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

The bathroom in the new cabins on deck 11 were actually very similar to the S class ships we were on previously. The first photo is looking into the bathroom from the doorway.

IMG_11421_zpsa38ec831.jpg

You can see the new toiletries in their white bottles on the second shelf. While I believe these new products are of a higher quality than the old ones, I did not like them. The fragrance was very, very strong. I used the body lotion once. I was applying it to my hands and my DH was in the shower and asked me what I spilled everywhere to create that smell. While I know the bathrooms are small I feel like something shouldn't smell so strongly that you can smell it in the shower over everything else. Personally, I don't really understand why X just doesn't get toiletries that are fragrance free. It seems like that would be a win/win for everyone.

This second photo is of the shower. The shower was a huge disappointment. I love to take long showers and that panel is normally my best friend, or at least it has been, on our previous cruises. However, the water pressure on the M class ships is not strong enough to run the jets and the shower head at the same time. The end result is nothing close to what they are on the S class ships. I did like that the shower was bigger though. I also LOVE the clothesline. I always saw people commenting about how great they were and thought, "wow, those people must be nuts." Well I'm going to admit, right here and now, I was totally wrong on this. My other issue with the shower was the doors. Unlike the shower doors on the S class which are in a track the doors in this cabin can just move back and forth. So if the ship is moving, even a little, we tended to end up with a small pool outside of the shower. Outside of these few things I didn't notice much else as being too different. I do think the storage in the bathroom of the S class ship is better.

IMG_1144_zpsf78f24c9.jpg

From here we can move to the most important feature of this cabin. The balcony! One word - awesome. This was our first time having an aft cabin. It was great. This first photo is looking out onto the balcony from the room.

IMG_11451_zps3b4b08b1.jpg

I would say about 1/3 of the balcony had shade from the overhang. Maybe more depending on the location of the sun. Most of the balcony was in the sun, however, there was enough shade that most days we could pull the chairs close enough towards the cabin so we could get out of the direct sun.

IMG_11431_zps32c9f88b.jpg

This last photo was taken standing out on the balcony looking towards the cabin.

IMG_11461_zps834a9662.jpg

We spent a lot of time during the sea days out here just relaxing. It was very easy to run down and grab a drink from the ocean view bar using the stairs on either side of the cabin. Overall we were very pleased. In the next installment later tonight I'll post a few more photos from the balcony looking up and down, random photos/comments about the cabin as well as my photos of sail away/NYC. Hopefully soon we can get out of NJ! Something tells me I'm not the first person to say that. I kid, I kid.

Edited by prim8keeper

If you ever happen to get seasick on a cruise those green apples do the trick, so I always keep one or two of them in the cabin just in case.

I have heard green apples help with sea sickness and wondered if that could be the reasoning behind it after I posted about it. I've had friends though who have received other various fruit such as 3 pairs or oranges. I get sea sick really easily so I usually just take sea sickness medication throughout the cruise either way.

When I'm on a cruise the last thing I think to myself is, "I could really go for a granny smith apple right about now!"

:D Oh my goodness! I just laughed so hard over that statement.

On a recent cruise, we had AQ 1132 and my bother and wife had 1140. I looked at those apples everyday and my stomach would turn. How could I think about eating an apple after all of the food that we get elsewhere on the ship. :rolleyes: By the middle of the cruise, I asked my stewardess for a pear, thinking that I could stomach a pear in the early morning while getting ready for an excursion. She complied with a pear that was so hard, it took 4 days to ripen! In the meantime, I felt bad that I had not touched the fruit, so we took some with us on an excursion (even though you are not suppose to :eek:). My brother and SIL ate them one day while in Germany.

I asked the stewardess to remove the ice tea and ice bucket. Should have asked to have the fruit removed, too. Also, we never ended up drinking it because we had the Classic package and I am not a big drinker.

You can see we had our complimentary sparkling wine and our three apples. Now is this considered a fruit plate? Art? I was never a huge fan of the fruit bowl since we didn't each much of it, but I'm even less of a fan of the 3 pieces of fruit on a plate.

It may not be art, but your photo sure made it look like art. ;)

IMG_11401_zps00307ae7.jpg.dafbc18275631bf7276efbc42923670a.jpg

I wish there was a like button!!! My friends cruised with you and we are sailing Aug. 24th in a CC Aft on Deck 8. Looking forward to more. We actually sailed 2 years ago in FV corner aft, now that was a balcony!!!

Love the balcony (and the review), Tom! If you ever decide to take an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice, per your recommendation, the Aqua Aft cabins are the best, especially the widest one. I owe you a thank you for recommending that one.

The bathroom in the new cabins on deck 11 were actually very similar to the S class ships we were on previously. The first photo is looking into the bathroom from the doorway.

IMG_11421_zpsa38ec831.jpg

You can see the new toiletries in their white bottles on the second shelf. While I believe these new products are of a higher quality than the old ones, I did not like them. The fragrance was very, very strong. I used the body lotion once. I was applying it to my hands and my DH was in the shower and asked me what I spilled everywhere to create that smell. While I know the bathrooms are small I feel like something shouldn't smell so strongly that you can smell it in the shower over everything else. Personally, I don't really understand why X just doesn't get toiletries that are fragrance free. It seems like that would be a win/win for everyone.

This second photo is of the shower. The shower was a huge disappointment. I love to take long showers and that panel is normally my best friend, or at least it has been, on our previous cruises. However, the water pressure on the M class ships is not strong enough to run the jets and the shower head at the same time. The end result is nothing close to what they are on the S class ships. I did like that the shower was bigger though. I also LOVE the clothesline. I always saw people commenting about how great they were and thought, "wow, those people must be nuts." Well I'm going to admit, right here and now, I was totally wrong on this. My other issue with the shower was the doors. Unlike the shower doors on the S class which are in a track the doors in this cabin can just move back and forth. So if the ship is moving, even a little, we tended to end up with a small pool outside of the shower. Outside of these few things I didn't notice much else as being too different. I do think the storage in the bathroom of the S class ship is better.

IMG_1144_zpsf78f24c9.jpg

From here we can move to the most important feature of this cabin. The balcony! One word - awesome. This was our first time having an aft cabin. It was great. This first photo is looking out onto the balcony from the room.

IMG_11451_zps3b4b08b1.jpg

I would say about 1/3 of the balcony had shade from the overhang. Maybe more depending on the location of the sun. Most of the balcony was in the sun, however, there was enough shade that most days we could pull the chairs close enough towards the cabin so we could get out of the direct sun.

IMG_11431_zps32c9f88b.jpg

This last photo was taken standing out on the balcony looking towards the cabin.

IMG_11461_zps834a9662.jpg

We spent a lot of time during the sea days out here just relaxing. It was very easy to run down and grab a drink from the ocean view bar using the stairs on either side of the cabin. Overall we were very pleased. In the next installment later tonight I'll post a few more photos from the balcony looking up and down, random photos/comments about the cabin as well as my photos of sail away/NYC. Hopefully soon we can get out of NJ! Something tells me I'm not the first person to say that. I kid, I kid.

I have heard green apples help with sea sickness and wondered if that could be the reasoning behind it after I posted about it. I've had friends though who have received other various fruit such as 3 pairs or oranges. I get sea sick really easily so I usually just take sea sickness medication throughout the cruise either way.

Eat a green apple each day and your sickness is minimal to none! :-)

Love the balcony (and the review), Tom! If you ever decide to take an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice, per your recommendation, the Aqua Aft cabins are the best, especially the widest one. I owe you a thank you for recommending that one.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We have actually booked something crazy and huge but I'm going to wait until the end of the review to talk about it. If you guys do decide to try an M class ship make sure to try and get one of these cabins. They were great and the aft stairs/elevator made it very easy to get around.

Eat a green apple each day and your sickness is minimal to none! :-)

What about a glass of wine? :) In rough seas my tip is to drink enough so you move with the ship. Then while everyone else is stumbling around you can just walk normally.