Celebrity dress code

Orch at Sea

Dress codes are interesting to say the least. Unless they are very simple and rigid, they tend to be minefields. Take the "business casual" concept for instance - it's astonishing how some folks (women in particular) interpret that one, showing up in just about anything as long as it's not indigo denim. I remember the days when it was easy to decide what to wear to work - now I gave to guess whether the customer I'm visiting wears jacket and tie, just jacket, no jacket etc. etc. and dress to fit in - I rarely get it right.

Unless the code is clear and concise AND rigidly enforced it creates a fertile breeding ground for all manner of faux pas, disagreement and often, belligerence - as is evident from the many threads here on this topic.

What's sad is they didn't used to have to enforce it.

The problem is not the persons who doesn't dress proprely, the problem is Celebrity....

I'm one who doesn't wear jacket on a cruise.... And on formal night, when I entered in the MDR, if the person in charge told me that i'm not dress proprely, I would go to the buffet but they don't stop me......

The fare you paid for includes those things, as well as a requirement to follow certain rules policies and regulations, some of which are included in the cruise contract noting formal wear on a particular number of flights on a cruise to dine in particular venues which also says you will be welcomed in alternate venues for dinner should you choose not to wear formalwear. You can't simply pick and choose the parts of your cruise agreement with the line to suit your fancy at any one time, you have to take in the entire agreement and all its terms if you are going to rely on some of its terms.

Also I don't think the contract guarantees meals in the MDR at all, it just indicates you will have access to food while on board, it does not dictate a venue for consuming the food itself.

Those who make the argument they are uncomfortable in formal wear or don't want to drag it around Europe for a week -- what about nudists uncomfortable in any sort of clothing. Should we just allow them to wander about in whatever outfit (or lack thereof) they are comfortable in? Of course this happens on a the various chartered Nudist cruises already, but I'm talking about a normal Celebrity booked cruise. If you don't want to follow dress code, why should the nudists be expected to either?

BTW, one of the rules or régulations is not bring your own power strips....

Before taking other people who doesn't follow rules, you should look in a Mirror....

While it's sad, it shouldn't be unexpected in an age where authority is at the very least always questioned and often disrespected. And if we're all really honest, the concept of the dress code is surely a relic of the past, now stubbornly hanging on by thread in just a few institutions (country clubs, 3 star restaurants, cruise ships of course... ). The company I work for arguably invented the business dress code early in the 20th century and even it abandoned the concept nearly 20 years ago now. Enjoy what's left of formal night while you can, I say. I really can't see it lasting much longer - sadly.

While it's sad, it shouldn't be unexpected in an age where authority is at the very least always questioned and often disrespected. And if we're all really honest, the concept of the dress code is surely a relic of the past, now stubbornly hanging on by thread in just a few institutions (country clubs, 3 star restaurants, cruise ships of course... ). The company I work for arguably invented the business dress code early in the 20th century and even it abandoned the concept nearly 20 years ago now. Enjoy what's left of formal night while you can, I say. I really can't see it lasting much longer - sadly.

I agree. The thing that makes me sad is the attitude that goes along with this gives the "institutions" an excuse to not provide a first class experience. If the patrons don't care, why should they?

It will last as long as Celebrity is making money in the Specialty restaurants from those who don't wish to dress up for formal nights. Just check these boards as to how many threads and posts are written by people looking to book specialties on formal nights.

It will last as long as Celebrity is making money in the Specialty restaurants from those who don't wish to dress up for formal nights. Just check these boards as to how many threads and posts are written by people looking to book specialties on formal nights.

Ha! I never thought of that! I suppose it's also an incentive to book Aqua too - which I did but participated fully in the formal night experience (loved it!).

Make a specialty restaurant formal only. Charge 65 per person. Make it fancy. So they can pay to get out of MDR.

Us steerage folk don't really pay much attention to this dress code gibberish one way or the other. Just find humor in seeing every one get spun up over this topic.

I heard they were thinking of making 1 level of the MDR Formal and all the rest of the ship Business/Country Club/Elite/Smart/Elegant Smart/all other types of Casual Casual. So, everyone would have a place to go and dine.

I agree 100%. It is not a matter of whether they should or should not have a formal night. If times are a changing and the formal nights disappear to keep in touch with modern thought, so be it (I don't agree, but majority rules and money talks). But when did I blink and manners and common courtesy and respect for others went the way of the dinosaur? That is what this is all really all about. Formal dress required or not, that is keeping up with the times I guess. Manners, consideration, common courtesy, integrity - these should be timeless elements. It is a sad society where the norm is to do what I feel like as long as I can get away with it. Following the rules or not on formal night is certainly a very minor example of this, but an example it is. I am far from perfect and don't claim to be otherwise, but some of the comments on this thread are something else. I keep swearing never to join these threads, but sometimes I just can't help myself:)

Make a specialty restaurant formal only. Charge 65 per person. Make it fancy. So they can pay to get out of MDR.

Us steerage folk don't really pay much attention to this dress code gibberish one way or the other. Just find humor in seeing every one get spun up over this topic.

So punish the people who are doing the RiGHT thing now.. Makes sense.....Not....

Edited by dkjretired

I heard they were thinking of making 1 level of the MDR Formal and all the rest of the ship Business/Country Club/Elite/Smart/Elegant Smart/all other types of Casual Casual. So, everyone would have a place to go and dine.

Clearly this is incorrect information, as the top deck of MDR on M class is now Blu and the other side will become Suite dining in April 2015, leaving no top section of MDR to work with.

Clearly this is incorrect information, as the top deck of MDR on M class is now Blu and the other side will become Suite dining in April 2015, leaving no top section of MDR to work with.

Maybe this only applies to the S-Class?

I agree 100%. It is not a matter of whether they should or should not have a formal night. If times are a changing and the formal nights disappear to keep in touch with modern thought, so be it (I don't agree, but majority rules and money talks). But when did I blink and manners and common courtesy and respect for others went the way of the dinosaur? That is what this is all really all about. Formal dress required or not, that is keeping up with the times I guess. Manners, consideration, common courtesy, integrity - these should be timeless elements. It is a sad society where the norm is to do what I feel like as long as I can get away with it. Following the rules or not on formal night is certainly a very minor example of this, but an example it is. I am far from perfect and don't claim to be otherwise, but some of the comments on this thread are something else. I keep swearing never to join these threads, but sometimes I just can't help myself:)

Great post Phoenix.... and I agree with YOU 100%... :)

that must have been one heck of a long blink..... cause it happened, oh, somewhere in the 1980s - early 90s or so...... (when the me-me-me generation grew up to become 'adults'...).. We, as a society, are now suffering the consequences of its effects..

- Rick

Edited by Rick-cruiser

The thing that makes me sad is the attitude that goes along with this gives the "institutions" an excuse to not

provide a first class experience.

Ahh, yes! Let's hang on to/bring back the GOOD OL' DAYS! :)

When First Class was for First Class! :cool:

And all those "lower class types" in steerage were kept below decks. ;) :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

And all those "lower class types" in steerage were kept below decks. ;) :rolleyes:

Those are your words and not anyone on this thread.

You really need to grow up. Maybe you think in those terms, I don't. All of your attempts to be funny really fall flat, your meanness shines through.

Edited by Ma Bell

So punish the people who are doing the RiGHT thing now.. Makes sense.....Not....

But some people who are doing the right thing (i.e. those who avoid the MDR because they don't want to offend) are already being punished by having to pay for a specialty restaurant, or being banished to the buffet..

That fits with what they were saying on the Millennium, discussing possibly putting the new suite restaurant into the space behind Blu currently used for Select overflow on the port side of deck 5 on the M-class ships.

The suite restaurant would not be large enough to fill the entire space, so the remaining space on the port side would still be used for Select dining overflow.

If they do it that way, the only reduction in space would be for Select diners, unless that gets balanced out by enough suite passengers who currently book Select moving into the suite dining room.

Select dining would still get the entire starboard side of the upper dining room, plus whatever space is left over on the port side.

There was no mention of what percentage of suite passengers currently tend to book Select.

(We also learned that they sometimes use open tables downstairs on deck 4 for Select dining overflow, when we were seated at one.)

At the Q&A session, one of the officers remarked that the general trend is away from one large dining room, more toward multiple smaller dining areas, providing guests with more choices.

Edited by fleckle

But some people who are doing the right thing (i.e. those who avoid the MDR because they don't want to offend) are already being punished by having to pay for a specialty restaurant, or being banished to the buffet..

They're not being punished at all. They knew (most likely before ever boarding) what the dress code is for the MDR each night. They made a decision that they didn't wish to dress for dinner that particular evening according to Celebrity's published dress code, so part of their decision included having dinner at an alternate venue (at least one of which offers the same menu as the MDR.) That’s hardly what could be called "punishment."