Annoying Tracy Arm music

topcat11

I thought Celebrity had listened to the hundreds of posts about their "loud music" policy and had improved. Now I hear that we have that ame issue to look forward to on our Alaska cruise on the Silhouette in September and most likely on the Eclipse in December (on which we previously experienced the loud/weird/omnipresent "music?" on a 14 day cruise). Really, WHO needs techno or rap at 7 AM with your first cup of coffee?

I hope that Mr. Bayley et al. succeed in their quest to attract/please the younger cruisers because my wife is starting to say that maybe we should start looking at land trips in the US and Europe vs. cruises on ships with less activities and wait staff, decreasing quality/selection of food in the MDR and Lido and increasing prices in the specialty restaurants that I have been reading about in many posts re Celebrity ships on the message board.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Meant to say "Solstice" not Silhouette

[posted just after reading propulsion issues on the latter]

I thought Celebrity had listened to the hundreds of posts about their "loud music" policy and had improved. Now I hear that we have that ame issue to look forward to on our Alaska cruise on the Silhouette in September and most likely on the Eclipse in December (on which we previously experienced the loud/weird/omnipresent "music?" on a 14 day cruise). Really, WHO needs techno or rap at 7 AM with your first cup of coffee?

I hope that Mr. Bayley et al. succeed in their quest to attract/please the younger cruisers because my wife is starting to say that maybe we should start looking at land trips in the US and Europe vs. cruises on ships with less activities and wait staff, decreasing quality/selection of food in the MDR and Lido and increasing prices in the specialty restaurants that I have been reading about in many posts re Celebrity ships on the message board.

I just got back from the Solstice Alaska Sailing 7/4-7/11 and they were playing slow R&B music (Toni Braxton for example) when going through the Fjords. I would've preferred silence OR if the insist on playing music, please have something more appropriate for the setting.

I thought Celebrity said they would look at the volume of the music and change it if they considered it inappropriate. Possibly they didn't feel the music was too loud for the masses. Many had no problem with the volume or type of music.

I know that Mr. Bayley succeeded in keeping me a customer (I now have 3 cruises booked) with their changes to have a hipper experience.

Edited by NLH Arizona

By then they won't need to go anywhere because the "virtual" experience will be so much better for them than reality. Heaven forbid that anyone will actually speak to each other. Just think, they will probably be able to have a chip implanted in their brains so each and every one can be a "Know it All".;)

Interesting...Cruise Critic members don't seem to need this chip... (or perhaps we already have it?) :rolleyes:

There are seven pages of an issue that happened on one ship and reported by only one poster. The simple thing would have been to send an email to Mr. Bayley and wait for a response. That is exactly what I did on July 14th, copying topcat11's first post and here is a part of the response I got: I have forwarded a copy of your email to the manager of our shipboard entertainment program. Be assured, that your and other guests’ feedback will be of great assistance in making future decisions.

Just as an FYI, I did not voice my opinion that I have no problem with the music, just copied the email and said it was an issue on one ship by one poster and told the results of the poll at the time of my email.

Apparently it is only happened on one ship (Solstice), not one other member, in comments or reviews ,has mentioned this happening.
Read Posts 121 and 129; those are not the Solstice. Admittedly 129 had not been posted when you wrote, but the other was there for you to read. I didn't look at any page but this one, so there may be more.

Read Posts 121 and 129; those are not the Solstice. Admittedly 129 had not been posted when you wrote, but the other was there for you to read. I didn't look at any page but this one, so there may be more.

Note that post #121 was not regard to Alaska (Not Tracy Arm/Alaska but we experienced it on Silhouette this May going into Venice.) And yes, some have mention Venice, but that was not the subject of the initial post - it was Tracy Arm and the complaint was not wanting to hear music in lieu of nature.

Edited by NLH Arizona

IMO there should be an easy solution to this. It seems pretty basic that customers want choices, so why not give them choices. Play music in some areas and not in others. Admittedly some sound carries between decks, but it is not as bad as being directly under the speaker. The best solution I can think of is to open the helipad (yes I know on S-class it is not customarily open, but it is open on occasions) and have this a quiet zone other than the naturalist comments. Those who want to lounge by the empty pool at 6am with their frozen drink (weather forecast for Tracy Arm for tomorrow morning is 48 degrees) are welcome to their music. I'll go so far as to say that I have no problem with people who pay the bucks for the Penthouse get to select the music of their choice.

Many years ago, when I had had only several cruises, I was getting pretty bummed with all the announcements for this or that. Then I found Celebrity and fell in love with their avoiding announcements except at noon or when something actually important was happening. Finally a cruise line that treated me as an adult, and let me choose whether to be entertained or not. Now it seems like the choice is to be force fed entertainment or not sail Celebrity.

Thom

PS If there has to be music in the Norwegian Fjords, it would seem that an obvious choice would be Edvard Grieg, but I'm not sure that the suit in Miami who makes up the play list would know Grieg. Grieg might entice me to buy a few rounds of Akvavit, and I don't even like the stuff.

or perhaps try a cruiseline OTHER than Celebrity.... :rolleyes: . we have, and we have never looked back, as there are many others from which to choose.

or perhaps try a cruiseline OTHER than Celebrity.... :rolleyes: . we have, and we have never looked back, as there are many others from which to choose.

Hi Rick, you just like looking back at the boards.;););)

PS If there has to be music in the Norwegian Fjords, it would seem that an obvious choice would be Edvard Grieg, but I'm not sure that the suit in Miami who makes up the play list would know Grieg. Grieg might entice me to buy a few rounds of Akvavit, and I don't even like the stuff.

Now, Edvard Grieg would make me jump off the ship. How about someone who was alive after 1910. Hanna Krogh would be a good Norwegian alternative.

Apparently it is only happened on one ship (Solstice), not one other member, in comments or reviews ,has mentioned this happening.
Note that post #121 was not regard to Alaska (Not Tracy Arm/Alaska but we experienced it on Silhouette this May going into Venice.) And yes, some have mention Venice, but that was not the subject of the initial post - it was Tracy Arm and the complaint was not wanting to hear music in lieu of nature.
Okay, I'm confused. It sounds as if you are limiting complaints to ships in Tracy Arm. Given that I don't think the other Celebrity ships in Alaska (Millennium and Century) go to Tracy Arm, it would be a little difficult for them to complain about it. There have been complaints (129) about wanting to peacefully enjoy nature in Norway, and I think that is equally valid as wanting to enjoy Tracy Arm.

Thom

On the EQ last month, our sail in to Venice it as announced that music would only be played in the pool area and the volume was so low that it was very hard to hear. Personally I would have preferred the music to be louder so that we could have heard it but I didn't come to CC or email X with a complaint. No matter which way X goes they will not please everyone.

Edited by cruisingator2

Now, Edvard Grieg would make me jump off the ship. How about someone who was alive after 1910. Hanna Krogh would be a good Norwegian alternative.
I think we are making progress. You finally admitted that music can be annoying (doesn't have to be, but can be). So how about supporting the choice to have some areas where one is not bombarded with music they don't want to hear.

Okay, I'm confused. It sounds as if you are limiting complaints to ships in Tracy Arm. Given that I don't think the other Celebrity ships in Alaska (Millennium and Century) go to Tracy Arm, it would be a little difficult for them to complain about it. There have been complaints (129) about wanting to peacefully enjoy nature in Norway, and I think that is equally valid as wanting to enjoy Tracy Arm.

Thom

(1) I am not complaining, I actually would have no problem with music at Tracy Arm, (2), I sent Mr. Bayley the complaint about Tracy Arm, because that was the issue at hand, (3) at the time I sent the email to Mr. Bayley, topcat11 was the only one that complained about music on his cruise, others had said they didn't have any music while visiting Tracy Arm and (4) Norway is not in Tracy Arm. If you want to complain to Mr. Bayley about Norway or Venice, then please do so yourself.

Edited by NLH Arizona

On the EQ last month, our sail in to Venice it as announced that music would only be played in the pool area and the volume was so low that it was very hard to hear. Personally I would have preferred the music to be louder so that we could have heard it but I didn't come to CC or email X with a complaint. No matter which way X goes they will not please everyone.
Thanks, I admire you. I as well would not have come on here and stirred up a hornets nest, even if I didn't like the music (unless it was the Norwegian composer that was suggested, then I would just jump off the ship). I feel that everyone is different, with different likes and dislikes, and even if I didn't like something, there were probably many that did. The only reason I sent topcat11's post to Michael Bayley (which if you notice, they were sending my email to the proper department to have the issued looked at, because they actually care about what their customers are saying) is because after seven pages of people anticipating that there will be music on their cruise and not one person saying they complained to corporate, I thought I would send it in. BTW, I didn't complain about the music, just forwarded the post. And now I get chastized because I didn't mention Norway or Venice as being an issue, when the topic of the thread was the music in Tracy Arm...go figure. Edited by NLH Arizona

I think we are making progress. You finally admitted that music can be annoying (doesn't have to be, but can be). So how about supporting the choice to have some areas where one is not bombarded with music they don't want to hear.
Sorry, will have to disagree. Even though I don't like classical music (and I think Edvard Grieg's music is very grading to the ears), if it were played I wouldn't complain. I have no problem with music being played anywhere or anytime; I think music enhances one's experience.

Isn't there two different issues getting mixed together on this thread. The regular "music is too loud throughout the ship" and separately, while transiting Tracy arm there is background music being played while most are trying enjoy the nature and tranquility of the pristine area.

I would most would agree that when in the narrows leading up to the glacier there is no need to have any music played on outdoor speakers while trying observe that special place.

It is gratifying to see that I am not alone.

But let me put the question slightly differently to see what the reaction is:

Would you as a paying customer have any objection if Celebrity turned off canned music on external decks when making the passage up and back Tracy Arm (or other natural wonder)?

I personally think its a fabulous idea. I think the naturalist speaking would appreciate it too…