Annoying Tracy Arm music

topcat11

The poll findings are pretty instructive so far with 82% against music.

From a total "sample" of 34 voters, from a batch of cruise experts and aficionados regarding a ship that sails with 2138 passengers.

Yes it's certainly a finding, but not really enough to make any conclusions with only 1.59% of the potentially affected people in a single sailing replying....

There will be a few vocal about it and most on the ship clearly aren't saying a thing about it or it would't be happening. The majority of those fall into the "I Don't care either way" category. So the real math then is:

2138 total - 28 I hate it's - 3 I like it's = 2107 I don't cares

1.30% I hate it's

0.14% I like it's

98.55% I don't care's

I sure hope Celebrity doesn't make decisions based on the 1% as our congress usually seems to do

:D

From a total "sample" of 34 voters, from a batch of cruise experts and aficionados regarding a ship that sails with 2138 passengers.

Yes it's certainly a finding, but not really enough to make any conclusions with only 1.59% of the potentially affected people in a single sailing replying....

There will be a few vocal about it and most on the ship clearly aren't saying a thing about it or it would't be happening. The majority of those fall into the "I Don't care either way" category. So the real math then is:

1.30% I hate it's

0.14% I like it's

98.55% I don't care's

I sure hope Celebrity doesn't make decisions based on the 1% as our congress usually seems to do

You really are amusing. Since all 2138 people sailing on one ship are not voting on this particular poll the only statistics are from those who voted. It's what pollsters call sampling. The Cruise Critic participants are probably a fairly representative group of the majority of cruisers.

The poll is specifically about music being played while sailing in Tracy Arm. I would suggest you actually take a cruise to this area or one of the other glacier trips and you may have a better understanding of why a great majority of people, as evidenced by this poll, would not think it's appropriate to play canned music in these circumstances. When trying to view the glaciers and watch them calve, the cracking noise signals that the glacier is about to calve and helps to direct your attention the the area of the glacier that is about to separate. It's a great part of the experience. Many times there are seals or sea lions on the ice floes barking to each other, birds calling and I've even seen moose swimming in the area.

Edited by Ma Bell

People learn and retain memories in different ways.

For some associating a sound (music) with a memory is preferable. 20 years from now when they hear ABBA they may be drawn back to when they saw the glaciers and the fond memories. This is especially true with younger people who have grown up in an audio/visual overlaid environment with TV, computer, iPhone, iPod, earphones etc. Its EXPECTED to have a background soundtrack, not strange to have one to them (and me).

And when this demographic becomes the dominant cruising demographic, then one should expect cruise lines to provide pax with the constant noise they were raised on -- but not before.

I vote for nature in its purity.

And when this demographic becomes the dominant cruising demographic, then one should expect cruise lines to provide pax with the constant noise they were raised on -- but not before.

I vote for nature in its purity.

By then they won't need to go anywhere because the "virtual" experience will be so much better for them than reality. Heaven forbid that anyone will actually speak to each other. Just think, they will probably be able to have a chip implanted in their brains so each and every one can be a "Know it All".;)

coffee at al Bacio, fresh juice, mimosas, bloody mary/cesars etc. in ocean view cafe, breakfast in Bistro on 5.... it subliminally comforts and relaxes the mind open to purchasing.

Let me remind you that no one is arguing those venues should be without music - it is the exterior decks that are at issue.

1.30% I hate it's

0.14% I like it's

98.55% I don't care's

I don't know why I continue to bash my head against this particular brick wall but you just make so many wrong assumptions that I cannot resist.

1) No one is claiming this little Cruise Critic poll is scientific but to date it is the only evidence we have one way or the other on the weight of informed public opinion on the issue at hand.

I would be interested in seeing any relevant evidence you have to support your point of view. And as I said earlier, your museum experience is not relevant. A building is not a natural wonder. Nor is your harping on the putative cause-effect relationship between music and purchasing. A cruise is not about buy-buy-buy every second of every day. I thought I bought a more natural experience in Tracy Arm (yes I know, how natural could it be on such a huge ship, but we have been over that). I was disappointed that I did not get what I thought I had paid for.

2) Also, this poll actually has more validity than you may think

It is your right to dismiss the entire polling industry, although yours would be a minority view, in my opinion held mostly by people whose beliefs are not supported by the polls. Someone must believe the industry works, despite the times when individual polls are wrong (examples of which I am sure you are ready to cite). The fact is polling continues to proliferate. And these firms come to their conclusions based on much much smaller sample sizes.

I don't know what the situation is in the U.S., but in Canada the typical sample size for a national poll is about 1,000 people. That's out of a population of just over 35 million. That means that the industry works from a standard sample size of about 0.0000285%.

So even if we multiplied the total number of cruisers who sail aboard Solstice in a given year by the number of trips a year - let's estimate one a week for 25 weeks - for a total of 53,450, the sample size of this poll at this time would be 0.0006361, still more than an order of magnitude larger than the industry standard. Multiply that number of passengers by 10 as an estimate of all the ships that make the passage and you are at 0.0000636, still more than twice as large as the acceptable parameters. And of course, the poll has not yet run its 7-day course.

3) Most important, your own analysis of the numbers so far would support turning off the music. By your reckoning, almost 99% don't care one way or the other. So they would NOT be upset if the music were turned off. Of those who do care, 9 out of 10 oppose the music. If I were running Celebrity, I would want to please those 9 by shutting off the music.

And as others have pointed out, if you crave that music even in Tracey Arm, you have the alternative of popping in your earbuds and listening to your iPod or whatever. Those who dislike the broadcast music have no such option.

And by the way, the sample size at 9 a.m. ET stands at 59, with 49 opposed to music, 4 supporting and 6 indifferent.

So since cle-guy's calculations, 21 more people have registered opposition to the music, 1 more person has supported the music and 3 more have expressed their neutrality.

I am not an expert in statistics or polling, but these do not seem like ambivalent results to me.

I'm not a statistician, and won't try to interpret the numbers but common sense would tell you that silence is golden when experiencing the glaciers

And the issue is, not only is there music while gliding through the glaciers, but why does it have to be someone else's choice of music??.. You're forced to listen to whatever they choose to play that day.. If there's silence then at least those who WANT music can listen privately though earphones and get the experience THEY want to get.....

Why do thousands have to be affected by ONE person's choice of music??. I cannot believe that that is acceptable to anyone.... even those who are pro-music.

- Rick

Edited by Rick-cruiser

The fact some captains turn off the engines says it all.

Thanks, WestLakeGirl, for reminding me of that practice!

Rock on with your ear buds if you don't care about hearing glaciers crack!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Curious, what does the fact that the captain turns off the engines AND at the same time does not instruct the ship to turn off the canned music have to say about it all? :confused:...
My interpretation would be that the company trusts the Captain to have control of a billion dollar investment, but they don't trust him to decide whether to turn off the music choice of made by someone sitting at a desk in Miami. Micro-managing usually results in poor results. I have nothing against music, but I do have something against being forced to listen to other's choice of genre and volume. I appreciated your comment on a piano thread that it was easier for you to move from the piano than for the piano to be moved. But if the music is on all outside venues it is then a choice of putting up with the music or going inside rather than stand on the deck viewing the glaciers etc (and viewing glaciers is a major reason most people go to Alaska.

Why do I like the music? Because I know I'm not gonna spend 6 hours standing at the railing watching the ice pass by. I'm gonna take my picture and get my ooh and ahh in, and then go back to the pool and get my little frozen drink and lounge there for the afternoon. If the naturalist announces something cool, I'll get up take a look stop at the bar and get another drink and go back to lounging.

I'm on a floating resort, not a private excursion.

When I'm at the pool I want music.

A cruise is not about buy-buy-buy every second of every day.

Well, according to corporate policy, you are wrong:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...7&postcount=93

The CEO of RCCL was recently interviewed on CNBC. His focus is on driving up revenue per passenger per day, while lowering costs per passenger day...by up to 15% annually combined...that's the metric that they use to fuel corporate income growth over the next five years.

You can't drive daily revenue up if you aren't doing everything you can to sell.

And as others have pointed out, if you crave that music even in Tracey Arm, you have the alternative of popping in your earbuds and listening to your iPod or whatever. Those who dislike the broadcast music have no such option.

SkyLounge during the day is an option, the deck in front of the exercise room is an option. Yes we all have options.

That X has decided to keep music on, must mean they don't hear from enough people wanting it otherwise. They are in business to please a majority of customers, and that seem's to be working. I always refer to a vocal minority....here we see that concept in play yet again. X reacts when there is a large enough population letting them know to react, like the drink package changes, captains club adding new levels and earning opportunities, relaxing of the formal night dress code.

If having a frosty drink poolside on an Alaskan cruise is your goal, you will not encounter any chair hogs on sea days

probably have the entire pool to yourself

Edited by Puckhog

If having a frosty drink poolside on an Alaskan cruise is your goal, you will not encounter any chair hogs on sea days

That's just an added perk, but to be honest, I've not yet had a problem getting chairs, so also think the whole "chair hog" think is overstated too.

Maybe I didn't get the primo A#1 spot in the sun by the pool near the bar, but I've never not been able to find a lounge someplace on the pool deck.

At the current vote of 60 to 4, it appears that Cle-guy is the vocal minority in this poll

In this poll, that is very true.

As with any poll, it's all about the audience being invited to take it, the desire of people to participate, the agenda of those who do participate and the way a poll is worded.

I guess it appears that Celebrity prefers to listen to the vocal minority in this case then.

I highly recommend princess for alaskan cruises if you prefer to not have loud music playing while visiting the glaciers

All music is turned off and engine noise is reduced to silence. The most amazing and serene trip imaginable.