Annoying Tracy Arm music

topcat11

feeling most grateful and appreciative that on the INFINITY last Dec., as we went past glaciers/ around Cape Horn, we D I D NOT have the

misery of "music" on deck to ruin the experience.

as one poster so wisely commented---If You Want Music, Bring Your Headphones.

Cle-Guy posts many MANY excellent comments, + offers lots of good advice, but i will avoid 'his' museum in Ohio (??) whichever one it is.

Put me down for no music either when viewing such awesome scenery. If people want music when viewing the glaciers why can they not use their iPods? Then they can have the music they want and those who want silence can have that too. Everyone is happy.:)

To hell with disturbing the animals with music, playing ABBA is disturbing to me! I would prefer to not have ANY canned music on outside decks except for at the pool. Even then mostly it's horrible top 40. I prefer to hear the sound of the ship sailing thru the ocean.

To hell with disturbing the animals with music, playing ABBA is disturbing to me! I would prefer to not have ANY canned music on outside decks except for at the pool. Even then mostly it's horrible top 40. I prefer to hear the sound of the ship sailing thru the ocean.

I don't disagree - but I look for what i think are winnable battles :)

+

+

We will be on Century soon, and I will be very disappointed if we have to listen to loud music in Tracy fjord. One of the things I've always liked about X is their lack of unnecessary announcements as found on RCCL. Unnecessary music would seem much the same annoyance.

My thoughts entirely! I have absolutely no idea why management anywhere - including supermarkets etc should feel it necessary to constantly pollute the atmosphere with canned music. Just as I don't want to have to inhale cigarette smoke (thank goodness this is now in the past), I have no desire to listen to someone elses music. If I want music, then I'll play what I want and listen to it through earphones so I don't disturb anyone else.

Actually, grizzly bears love Led Zeppelin but they hate ABBA. But bald eagles are the reverse. In nature, just like cruising -- and life in general -- you can't please everyone. And yes, please put a stop to all the sarcasm.

Yet, walrus love both. Go figure.

My thoughts entirely! I have absolutely no idea why management anywhere - including supermarkets etc should feel it necessary to constantly pollute the atmosphere with canned music.

Some may not wish to believe it, but studies show music actually entices purchasing. Different music affects different age groups differently.

This is why stores like groceries and department stores have music in the background. In this case, the ship does it in part to sell more drinks onboard.

My thoughts entirely! I have absolutely no idea why management anywhere - including supermarkets etc should feel it necessary to constantly pollute the atmosphere with canned music. Just as I don't want to have to inhale cigarette smoke (thank goodness this is now in the past), I have no desire to listen to someone elses music. If I want music, then I'll play what I want and listen to it through earphones so I don't disturb anyone else.

Actually music is used as a tool. For example, the type of music played in a supermarket and other stores, will keep you shopping longer. Some music in restaurants will have you eating faster, so that they can turn the tables over. One might not realize what the music is doing, but it works.

It's no secret, I love music and have no problem with it anywhere.

I would also be in favour of eliminating outdoor music, at least in areas like Tracy Arm where the attraction is the natural beauty and the wildlife. OP, why don't you set up an actual poll? More people might respond if all they have to do is click a button. It would be interesting to see some numbers on this issue and, an actual poll might make more of an impact on Celebrity corporate decision-makers. Hmm, maybe that last bit is wishful thinking ...

we did an alaskan cruise on princess lat year…there was a naturalist onboard who would make the odd really interesting comment to educate us on board….the rest of the time it was eerily quiet…you glided with complete silence and heard the glaciers calving

best cruise ever

People learn and retain memories in different ways.

For some associating a sound (music) with a memory is preferable. 20 years from now when they hear ABBA they may be drawn back to when they saw the glaciers and the fond memories. This is especially true with younger people who have grown up in an audio/visual overlaid environment with TV, computer, iPhone, iPod, earphones etc. Its EXPECTED to have a background soundtrack, not strange to have one to them (and me).

Some may not wish to believe it, but studies show music actually entices purchasing. Different music affects different age groups differently.

This is why stores like groceries and department stores have music in the background. In this case, the ship does it in part to sell more drinks onboard.

They are not selling many drinks between 6 and 10 a.m., music or not

I would also be in favour of eliminating outdoor music, at least in areas like Tracy Arm where the attraction is the natural beauty and the wildlife. OP, why don't you set up an actual poll? More people might respond if all they have to do is click a button. It would be interesting to see some numbers on this issue and, an actual poll might make more of an impact on Celebrity corporate decision-makers. Hmm, maybe that last bit is wishful thinking ...

Thanks for the poll idea - I am new to this group so was not aware it could be done but i think I figured it out now - just means starting a new thread.

They are not selling many drinks between 6 and 10 a.m., music or not

coffee at al Bacio, fresh juice, mimosas, bloody mary/cesars etc. in ocean view cafe, breakfast in Bistro on 5.... it subliminally comforts and relaxes the mind open to purchasing.

coffee at al Bacio, fresh juice, mimosas, bloody mary/cesars etc. in ocean view cafe, breakfast in Bistro on 5.... it subliminally comforts and relaxes the mind open to purchasing.

And people should be encouraged to purchase something rather than enjoy Tracy Arm without hearing someone else's idea of appropriate music? Sorry, not for me. I usually agree with your posts, but not this one.:p

And people should be encouraged to purchase something rather than enjoy Tracy Arm without hearing someone else's idea of appropriate music? Sorry, not for me. I usually agree with your posts, but not this one.:p

What music would you consider appropriate?

...should i continue to push to shut the music off in Tracy Arm and other pristine places.
Absolutely.

I consider it only fair that WE be allowed to choose the sound track and volume levels for Celebrity HQ. I recall that the US got Manuel Noriega to leave the Vacation embassy in Panama City and surrender just by playing annoying music.

Thom

Our arrival to Venice was ruined (imho) by loud opera music. It sounded like a lady was being hurt on the decks above me. It felt fake and had me looking up at the speaker, not at Venice. Settle down Celebrity. Venice or Alaska was enough. You can't "enhance it". Was the goal to force inside to "buy" something? It forced me to my room for tylenol! Cruises are noisy enough. Be quiet!

Karen

Our arrival to Venice was ruined (imho) by loud opera music. It sounded like a lady was being hurt on the decks above me. It felt fake and had me looking up at the speaker, not at Venice. Settle down Celebrity. Venice or Alaska was enough. You can't "enhance it". Was the goal to force inside to "buy" something? It forced me to my room for tylenol! Cruises are noisy enough. Be quiet!

Karen

Yes, music is used to make customers stay longer or leave faster, but in the case of Celebrity, I don't think that is the reason why they are playing music in either Venice or Alaska. I think they are trying to enhance the experience. Some may not like it, while others might like it...it is each person's personal preference.

Edited by NLH Arizona