Annoying Tracy Arm music

topcat11

One other thought - I know that Cle Guy approaches everything from a business perspective. As a manager at a large, well-known company, I appreciate and applaud that. However, I also know that not every decision a company makes has been thoroughly studied and discussed. Sometimes certain things just never occur to the top brass who make the decisions.

I have no doubt that they've studied overall the impact of music on cruise ships. There likely IS a corporate policy on what to play that has resulted on these studies. No doubt the bottom line and sales figures into this, and I don't disagree with that at all. However, that doesn't mean that they've examined this on every itinerary and all time periods within the itinerary. I can easily see how a detail like a 4 hour stretch on certain itineraries could slip past them.

I have observed first hand how people are reluctant to push back when a corporate edict comes down. So the people who are on the ground and hearing the complaints may not be filtering that up to the people who make the decision.

I applaud the OPs actions - he's not just making a stink, but he's first finding out if there are others that share his opinion. He's then trying to figure out how to take this information up to the top. It could be that he's happened across something that the people sitting in corporate HQ just haven't thought about. It's a simple, inexpensive fix that could improve customer satisfaction. Those are the kinds of quick hits that make the leaders salivate.

I was told more than once by Celebrity crew members on our last cruise that the sound level was corporate policy. Maybe it's not but that sure is the excuse I was given when on board.

Hi Host Anne,

I was told the same thing on several occasions, from several officers, so I'm virtually certain that if the onboard folks could have done something about the sound levels, they would have. From that I was told, they received many guest complaints, but their hands were tied by Miami management directives.

FWIW, on our last Eclipse cruise in April, I provided updates from the ship. During the early part of our sailing, the music loudness and content was fairly good.... loud at times, but good enough. Immediately after writing my comments on here, Celebrity must have been reading them, as the music loudness increased gradually as the 14 day sailing progressed. Towards the end of the cruise, it was very loud, and again concerning. We may be sailing on Eclipse in November or Connie in December, so we'll hope for the best.

As for loud music in Alaska ? I agree with those who mentioned that no music would be appreciated, in order to experience the natural beauty of everything Alaska offers. If you want music ? Great ! How about using your personal music device, and enjoy it your way. Why should everyone else be forced into what might be an unenjoyable experience ?

It seems to me, that Celebrity's entertainment department has a "we'll do it our way, and you better like it" mindset, and that's very disappointing. Believe me, I understand that it's all but impossible to please everyone. However, there are reasonable solutions, that should appeal to the majority of their guests. Let's hope Celebrity is listening.

I prefer silence during the Tracy Arm passage (and perhaps narration of the sights) to canned music. With regard to the overly loud music, as annoying as that may be to passengers, my sympathy goes to the staff. They are stuck listening to obnoxiously loud (and sometimes just plain bad) music for their full shift.

Scarlette, thanks for contributing your savvy biz analysis + your decision, even as a young, always-wired passenger!, to remain open-minded until you experience it. Hope you have a fabulous Alaska experience!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I prefer silence during the Tracy Arm passage (and perhaps narration of the sights) to canned music. With regard to the overly loud music, as annoying as that may be to passengers, my sympathy goes to the staff. They are stuck listening to obnoxiously loud (and sometimes just plain bad) music for their full shift.

to say nothing of the fact they can't hear their guests either when one of us wants to order something.....or can't hear each other talk...or can't hear their immediate superior talking to them......Same goes for the guests.When it gets to the point that sign language lessons are needed for overall communications....perhaps the penny will finally drop at ==X=='s HQ.

.......But...dream on...

Recommend e-mails to Michael Bailey that if they continue to ignore customer requests to stop that music ,then the customers have no choice but to change cruise lines .;)

See how those e-mails get his response to the music issue ?

n o n e !!!! simple enough ? We're talking an Alaska Fjord visit at 7;00am !!!!

T h a n k y o u for your response to my question, but I was asking Nancyquilts, because she said: without hearing someone else's idea of appropriate music. Since she made this comment, I guess she would like another type of music. But thank you again for your comment.

I fully intend to email the CEO the results of our straw poll on here once it has run its full 7-day course.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069499

At this point, 98 respondents want the music turned off, 8 like the music and want it turned off and 10 don't care either way - i.e. of those who care, this poll is running more than 12 to 1 in favour of turning off the music.

With all the wooha around this issue, it seems that it was only one ship/one poster who commented that it happend on their ship. Others on this thread have said they didn't have music on their cruise and I haven't seen one comment about it on the reviews posted (possibly it happened, but wasn't an issue for these reviewers). Possibly it was only that one ship/one cruise that did it. I think that when a ship's crew doesn't want to deal with an issue, the easiest cop-out is to say it is "corporate's decision" or "company policy".

Edited by NLH Arizona

My experience was on a single ship - Solstice, on the June 6-13 cruise.

I raised the issue on this board because, in following up with customer relations on board and after the cruise with corporate customer relations in Miami, I was told it was "corporate policy". I think anyone would interpret that to mean it is the practice on all Celebrity cruises that go through Tracy Arm.

Thank you Topcat for bringing this up, and thank you Celebrity Cruises for looking into the issue. DH and I are booked on the 8/22 Solstice cruise - sure hope it's quiet! I voted in the poll on the first day - can I now vote on DH's behalf :D

Although I am Elite Plus, I have not cruised Celebrity for two and a half years. This time frame pretty much coincides with the change of management at Celebrity and also coincides with the start of all the threads about noise issues. During this period I have done a TransPacific cruise with Oceania, riverboats in Europe and the Amazon, and numerous cruises with RCI including several TransAtlantics. I am amazed that it is so much easier to find quiet areas on RCI than it is on Celebrity. I get that Celebrity wants to attract a younger crowd, and I have no issues with over-the-top music somewhere as long as I can avoid it, but Celebrity seems to be intent on irritating their long term cruisers.

We winter in Florida, and I looked at last minute cruises for a six week period this past February and March. I was surprised that EVERY Celebrity week long cruise entry price was CHEAPER than 23 out of 25 RCI cruises. Strictly because of noise concerns, Celebrity could not get me to drive to the port when for a number of weeks running they were practically giving away cabins with starting prices of $409 for a week on Reflection (their newest ship). I ended up spending four weeks on various RCI cruises. I recognize that the real money to made from cruisers comes from on-board sales, but when you have a hard time giving cruises away in what should be the peak of the Caribbean season, I wonder if Celebrity management will ever get the message.

I am willing to give Celebrity one more chance, and I am booked on the Celebrity Equinox TransAtlantic this fall. If there are noise issues, I won't be back.

Thom

Maybe it's passengers sailing from the US ports that are being subjected to loud music. I initially thought it was the Caribbean ports when the complaints started during the winter season.

Eclipse of course is presently sailing from Southampton.

I was on the Reflection in March out of Miami and the Equinox in June out of Barcelona. No issues at all with the music anywhere on either ship. Of course last year we were on the Reflection out of Miami and had no issues either.

I was on the May 8 cruise and the music was off everywhere other than the Fitness centre deck out front. A couple of the staff said they had to leave it on as they had no control between inside and out but they did turn it down. Other than that deck it was quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe this thread and the poll concerned loud canned music during specific wildlife/nature portions of cruises. Have noted our preference against loud music.

in general, our loud music issues have been on Carib cruises...both on Silhouette...at the pool area, indoor areas etc, Last one was truly brutal w/ the DJ and drummer.,,.we have two more booked, on Reflection and Equinox; and also hope to squeeze in Eclipse somewhere .Hopefully, things have improved...to our taste...variety of music none of it blaring... We prefer live groups over canned and DJ.. ther than dj w/good mix in the club upstairs

Forgive me if this topic has been covered in here before.

On a recent Alaska cruise, we looked forward to the trip up Tracy Arm and the scenery of this natural wonder did not disappoint.

However, during the entire 4-hour trip, the PA system on the Solstice blasted out canned music to the external decks. This happened even though the on-board naturalist pointedly stopped his occasional commentary so that we could hear the popping of the icebergs and/or the birds, or just enjoy the silence. Unfortunately, remixes of old ABBA songs etc. spoiled all of that.

I contacted customer relations on board to ask if the music could be turned off for the trek up the Arm but was told it was company policy to play it and so, no, it could not be silenced. I got the same answer from customer relations at head office after the cruise.

According to the very polite rep, passengers prefer to have music on all external decks at all times. I am at best skeptical about that claim and therefore want to kick this issue up to the highest levels. But I thought I would take a straw poll of fellow cruise critics to bolster my case that the music should be turned off while passing through areas of natural wonder such as Tracy Arm (in fact, I suspect there are other places in the world where the same policy exception should be made - I just haven't been to them yet.)

Am I being too much of an old fogey on this or should i continue to push to shut the music off in Tracy Arm and other pristine places.

Its' not you.Just back from Eclipse Baltic Cruise and the canned music in Tuscan Grill was thumping-not an aid to enjoy a wonderful meal. The music in Blu was similar. In both places we asked that it be turned down/off. Evidently this is X's way of marketing to a younger demographic. NOTE to CELEBRITY PLEASE NOTE THE DEMOGRAPHIC ABOARD (WHO HAVE PAID FOR THEIR CRUISE)PRIOR TO MAKING VERY STUPID CHOICES AS YOU CANNOT MARKET TO A MARKET THAT IS NOT CAPTURED ON YOUR SHIPS!

PS The Jazz ensemble Les de Merle was excellent

Carole

Not Tracy Arm/Alaska but we experienced it on Silhouette this May going into Venice. It was my first Celebrity but I never encountered loud (opera) music sailing anywhere else on any other cruise line. I did not care for it at all and couldn't talk to the person next to me (on an outside deck). Bringing earplugs for the next (possibly final) Celebrity cruise, though. If the music is that loud again- I'll just refuse to buy anything while it's playing. I can control my behavior as well. Lots of competition for my dollars out there.

Karen

T h a n k y o u for your response to my question, but I was asking Nancyquilts, because she said: without hearing someone else's idea of appropriate music. Since she made this comment, I guess she would like another type of music. But thank you again for your comment.

I hope you saw my previous post - I think it is 57. :D

As I wouldn't impose my choice of music on others, I would appreciate it ( a lot) if I weren't imposed upon by others in what IMHO should be a quiet place.

Edited by Nancyquilts

Good morning all,

Is this happening on a specific ship? We're trying to look into it. Thanks!

Hi Celebrity,

The OP's comments made reference to Solstice. Hope this helps !