Should suite passengers get anything except their cabin.

PoppyandNana

Ok then, I buy this - to an extent.

But I'm asking how the suite guest on Celebrity is bringing in more revenue for celebrity versus the standard cabin guest. It's not thru their onboard spending. And it's not in the dollar paid for the cabin when related to a square foot of finite space on the ship.

I think X does a great job marketing their standard cabins as more favorable to other lines, I don't think people book standard cabins because they know there are some awesome suites down the hall from them though.

I'm suprised you don't understand this marketing strategy because you have a degree in this field. It's not a theory, it is a highly use very successful marketing tool. I guess it is a Business Major thing. Quit thinking of it as passenger spending. Think "Image". If you found yourself looking at two identical itineraries on basically the same size ships with Celebrity costing $50 more than Carnival, which would you choose? Why?

I will give you another example of the power of image. Many years back I had a friend who was an Engineer for American Airlines. We were talking about how decisions were made on their planes and he told me that they started painting the inboard section of the wing because some passengers where concerned about foot prints from inspectors. The comments were of concern that the foot prints might cause damage to the wing. The foot prints cause not harm, but saying that doesn't always ease a passengers concern. Paint on airplanes is added weight and added weight is loss of money do to the increase in fuel. But the executives had to weigh the loss of money from weight to the concern of passengers chosing another airline because of a foot print. American at that time had an image and they were willing to pay to hold their image.

We are not really fans of Celebrity, it's only because of their suites we cruise with them. In fact we have another scheduled in December.

Burt

I'm suprised you don't understand this marketing strategy because you have a degree in this field. It's not a theory, it is a highly use very successful marketing tool. I guess it is a Business Major thing. Quit thinking of it as passenger spending. Think "Image". If you found yourself looking at two identical itineraries on basically the same size ships with Celebrity costing $50 more than Carnival, which would you choose? Why?

I will give you another example of the power of image. Many years back I had a friend who was an Engineer for American Airlines. We were talking about how decisions were made on their planes and he told me that they started painting the inboard section of the wing because some passengers where concerned about foot prints from inspectors. The comments were of concern that the foot prints might cause damage to the wing. The foot prints cause not harm, but saying that doesn't always ease a passengers concern. Paint on airplanes is added weight and added weight is loss of money do to the increase in fuel. But the executives had to weigh the loss of money from weight to the concern of passengers chosing another airline because of a foot print. American at that time had an image and they were willing to pay to hold their image.

We are not really fans of Celebrity, it's only because of their suites we cruise with them. In fact we have another scheduled in December.

Burt

Again I agrees about perception but I just don't think it's the SUITES that draw the majority of the standard cabin people to book X over any other line with "suites". I think it's the perception of the ship's common areas and its STANDARD cabins that draw them.

I honestly believe the majority don't even bother looking at suites as they can't imagine they are within their reach. So they look to other things, like dress codes, the bars on board, the decor of the ship as a whole, the messaging in advertising - "Modern LuXury". I know I don't book reservations at Ritz Carlton because I know someplace they have some awesome suites. I book because I have heard about their service to all their guests and their location, and their rooms look cozy and comfy and have a separate shower and bath tub.

Why would (do) I chose X over Carnival:

• Less Kids
  • Less of a "party" atmosphere and more of am upscale atmosphere
  • No pool towel accounting
  • enhanced meal services
  • Formal nights
  • welcome aboard champagne
  • Classy, Modern and contemporary styling
  • no waterslides, mini golf, etc.
  • No constant announcements
  • smoke free cabins

It has very little to do with the layout of the suite and the suite's furnishings. To my mind both have suites if I want one, standard cabins are quite similar overall although clearly Carnival suites are nowhere close to X suites (they are "junior suites" as I say, having no door between bedroom and family room).

I get the idea of importance of IMPRESSION, I'm selling my house and just have to laugh at some of the comments "living room is too small" "living room is too big" (really - which is it?) "paint color is bad" (really, $16 and 2 hours and it can be any color you want) "looks like a lot of dereffed maintenance" when asked like what "Oh I don't know just seems like there will be maintenance" even though they have a list of upgrades in the last 5 years that covers all mechanicals, appliances and landscaping. But their impression is their impression and no arguing will change that.

However for those that do look to sail in suites, then yes they will come to X for them versus other lines, They are far better than Carnival or NCL or Royal (well other than royals lofts..MMMMMM!). But the suite traveler is a different person. And as I said money wise, the standard cabins in the space of the penthouse will generate more cabin revenue, the PH isn't getting anywhere near the equivalent of the revenue of those other cabins, nor is the Penthouse guest spending what those cabins above it and their passengers passengers would have spent on board.....

I kind of think it's this very reason ships like Carnival don't bother with any real suites, they go mass market strictly and sell them as extra cabins, X attracts a more upscale crowd, not so much based on the suites themselves, but everything else about the ship. I think the UPSCALE crowd would still sail celebrity even if there were no suites. Thats's the argument I am proposing. Out of 1059 cabins on Connie, 18 are real suites (excluding sky/junior suites). That's not a huge amount of passengers overall, but it does give the upscale consumer a place to come, but I say without those 18 cabins, Celebrity would still be what to is.

So for specific example, Constelaltion 9/6/14 sailing Amsterdam to Turkey.

• 2 penthouses generate 11,499 x 2 people x 2 cabins = $45,996
  • They acommodate 2 people in each, total 4 people. Lets' say each person spends $300 each = $1200 On Board Spend
  • Total revenue is $47,196

Deck 7 PH is replaced by

4 FV and 4 C1 aft and 1 C3 each on port and starboard side.

These sell for

• 4 FV x 2people @ $3699 + 2 extra people @ 799 x = $35,984 (didn't even stuff all 5 required traveled in there...)
  • 4 C1 x 2 people x $3749 = $29,992
  • 2 C3 x 2 people x $3499 = $13,996

Lets say the FV generate only $150 per person On board spend, and concierge $200 per person (less than suite spend) that's
  • $150 x 4 x 4 = $2400 spend
  • $200 x 4 x 2 = $1600 spend
  • $200 x 2 x 2 = $800 spend
  • Total revenue is $84,772

the 10 cabins above the PH generate $37,576 extra dollars. That's significant I'd say. And I don't think the PH guests are anywhere near spending that much more in on board....

Is the "added value" the suites generate to the cruise with that extra $37,576 on a sailing, I don't know that's quite impossible to calculate being so speculative. But to me, It seems like a high amount of lost revenue.

But as I say I believe the suites exist as they can basically run 2 hotels -- a suite hotel and a standard hotel. The suite hotel will always sell out while the standard hotel will sometimes have empty rooms. If they were all standard rooms and no suites, then they would often have several more empty standard rooms on those nights they didn't sell out, not having a place for those few people looking for a suite to stay in who went elsewhere.

That's why Suites exist in hotels, to generate extra money on those nights they may not be sold out with standard rooms but can sell a limited number of special rooms and sell those out.

Maybe Curt you arent typical. The 4 of our cruises in which we have had suites we have still spent thousands (plural) on extras.

Perhaps some have....I'm excluding drinks assuming all get drink packages or all would get drinks, FYI. I just posted my analysis on the difference in revenue between suite versus typical cabins. Suite guests need to spend about $8000 per person to offset the loss in revenue to standard cabins in their place.

Its kind of eye opening, far more variance that I initially thought.....

Excluding drinks, what can one possibly spend thousands on???? I'm asking a serious question.

It's not through YOUR on board spending. Everyone is not like you.

Yes, I have said it's not me, I am asking a serious question, what are suite guests spending to generate thousands of dollars in onboard spend excluding drinks which for arguments sake I am saying either all get a drink package or all are buying drinks, so drinks aren't what makes a suite guest more attractive.

Not being argumentative, I'm seriously wondering....and as I have said as well, exclude the first time cruiser and their newbie spend habits....

But you see, you said excluding drinks. For instance on the Paul Gauguin the grand suite was roughly $10k each and the fare was inclusive of alcholol. But the standard wines were merely okay so I ordered bottles from the cellar selection most evenings and sometimes had additional bottles sent back to the suite. Then there were the excursions which we did at least one a day. And that would be our standard pattern.

But you see, you said excluding drinks. For instance on the Paul Gauguin the grand suite was roughly $10k each and the fare was inclusive of alcholol. But the standard wines were merely okay so I ordered bottles from the cellar selection most evenings and sometimes had additional bottles sent back to the suite. Then there were the excursions which we did at least one a day. And that would be our standard pattern.

I'll allow upgraded wines and bottles, I'm saying leave out the premium beverage package stuff.

And we have to have appeals to apples, that is Celebrity to Celebrity, not Celebrity to Gauguin.

so a bottle of wine last 2 dinners for 2 people, so $140 (well less 20% with the premium package...) every 2 days for a bottle of Jordan. 10 day cruise, $700, or $350 per person. Excursions, do suite guests really book them thru celebrity if they have sailed several times? Plus Gauguin, I believe does unusual ports, versus Reflection does the same ones over and over and over.....that make it simpler to DIY...

Edited by cle-guy

I'll allow upgraded wines and bottles, I'm saying leave out the premium beverage package stuff.

And we have to have appeals to apples, that is Celebrity to Celebrity, not Celebrity to Gauguin.

so a bottle of wine last 2 dinners for 2 people, so $140 (well less 20% with the premium package...) every 2 days for a bottle of Jordan. 10 day cruise, $700, or $350 per person. Excursions, do suite guests really book them thru celebrity if they have sailed several times? Plus Gauguin, I believe does unusual ports, versus Reflection does the same ones over and over and over.....that make it simpler to DIY...

I'm not just limiting myself to celebrity just because this is the celebrity board but as a general statement for myself as a suite user.

And we can go through a bottle of wine over a meal easily, and if we have table guests I may be shouting them as well. Clearly I am a lush. And we mainly use the cruise line excursions though not exclusively.

I really dont want to go into the minutiae and breakdown my spending for you, but on every cruise where we have a suite our extras bill is in the thousands.

All I observed was that maybe you (Curt) are not the typical. I dont know and I wont pretend to know, all I can say is what my habits are.

Do passengers in insides book ship's excursions if they've sailed over and over? Do pax in verandah cabins not take advantage of 123? Part of the regular Cruise Critic grousing has been about first time suite passengers getting more perks than the long time loyalists.

Basing it on square feet, supposing 1 suite = 4 verandas. Assuming two people in each suite/verandah, you can't base it solely on money spent. Think of it this way: the two people in the suite are consuming fewer resources than the eight people in four verandas. 2 free drink packages vs 8 free drink packages. MDR, Oceanview, room service for 2 vs all that for eight.

Besides. Your account may be zero at the end of the cruise, but it appears you pay up front for many extras. You can't pigeonhole all suite pax.

As to the original intent of this thread, I sure would expect more, paying a suite price. We'd rather spend the difference elsewhere. We can book Aqua, buy all manner of drinks, splurge on bottles of wine, hire drivers for just the two of us, spend five glorious days in Rome, and still come out below suite price.

So all I have gotten so far is multiple saying I'm not the typical suite crusier an some saying they spend a lot with no data to support that (i'm not denying people do, I'm just wondering where and how it's coming...)

I guess I could take a stab:

On a 10 day cruise:

• 1 $150 bottle wine a day = $1500
  • 3 couples spa days at $500 = $1500
  • 5 excursions for 2 @ $150 each = 300 x 5 = $1500
  • I doubt repeat suite cruiser is buying photo or any duty free.
  • Specialty dining, unlimited, $29/p/day so 8 days specialty dining ( 2 days comped due to suite specialty restaurant amenity) = $464
  • Total Spend: $4964 or $2482 per person.

For the 2 suites versus 20 cabins, that still leaves a $27,648 shortfall in the PH versus standard cabin real estate.

And I'd still argue many suite cruisers on Celebrity itineraries are doing their own excursions which would add back into the total and get us closer to $30k shortfall.

All Im trying to say is the suites don't really "pull their weight" versus standard cabins from a dollars and cents standpoint. Not that I want them to go anyplace either. :D

Do passengers in insides book ship's excursions if they've sailed over and over? Do pax in verandah cabins not take advantage of 123? Part of the regular Cruise Critic grousing has been about first time suite passengers getting more perks than the long time loyalists.

Basing it on square feet, supposing 1 suite = 4 verandas. Assuming two people in each suite/verandah, you can't base it solely on money spent. Think of it this way: the two people in the suite are consuming fewer resources than the eight people in four verandas. 2 free drink packages vs 8 free drink packages. MDR, Oceanview, room service for 2 vs all that for eight.

Besides. Your account may be zero at the end of the cruise, but it appears you pay up front for many extras. You can't pigeonhole all suite pax.

As to the original intent of this thread, I sure would expect more, paying a suite price. We'd rather spend the difference elsewhere. We can book Aqua, buy all manner of drinks, splurge on bottles of wine, hire drivers for just the two of us, spend five glorious days in Rome, and still come out below suite price.

Some of this makes perfect sense, yes suites consume fewer resources, and have less expense with them, but whats that difference really... few less bars of soap versus the cabins above it, less sheets and towels to wash. The staff costs is near nothing some say stewards and servers get $50 a month plus tips, so the $50 cost is insignificant really as to cost savings and the tups come only per person served anyway and is levied equally to all PAX.

My point is that YES indeed the suite includes all the perks, and leaves little room for the real extra spending, thus the account is easily left at zero at the end. I agree also that standard cabin folks are buying things just like suite people do, many hypothesize suite passengers buy MORE, I'm saying what MORE with so much already included....Do no standard cabin folks go tot he spa? Do none of them also buy wine at dinner by the bottle? Of course they do.

Suites and standard cabins have drinks packages, so those amenities costs cancel each other out. The less cost of drinks packages is insignificant as beverages cost very little versus what they sell for. A drinks package valued at $49 a day in revenue only costs then about $8 bucks a day in hard product cost assuming beverage cos of about 15% as is average. So in my analysis of the 10 cabins (26 PAX) versus the 2 PH suites (4 PAX), that equates to savings of 22 PAX at $8 per person or $208 per day, $2080 for the 10 day cruise.

So the cost savings lets even just call it out at $3000 in my analysis, so that $37k is now $34k....

Still not sure how suite guests are spend so much more on board than standard cabins....Yes they pay more for a cabin than 1 person other place does, but when you factor in the 5 cabins displaced, no they(we) aren't paying more in the big picture, even if our cabin fare is higher than standard cabin our revenue per square foot is not even close, suite passengers lie myself are ripping the lines off really, but for my "hotel within a hotel" analysis.

Some of this makes perfect sense, yes suites consume fewer resources, and have less expense with them, but whats that difference really... few less bars of soap versus the cabins above it, less sheets and towels to wash. The staff costs is near nothing some say stewards and servers get $50 a month plus tips, so the $50 cost is insignificant really as to cost savings and the tups come only per person served anyway and is levied equally to all PAX.

My point is that YES indeed the suite includes all the perks, and leaves little room for the real extra spending, thus the account is easily left at zero at the end. I agree also that standard cabin folks are buying things just like suite people do, many hypothesize suite passengers buy MORE, I'm saying what MORE with so much already included....Do no standard cabin folks go tot he spa? Do none of them also buy wine at dinner by the bottle? Of course they do.

Suites and standard cabins have drinks packages, so those amenities costs cancel each other out. The less cost of drinks packages is insignificant as beverages cost very little versus what they sell for. A drinks package valued at $49 a day in revenue only costs then about $8 bucks a day in hard product cost assuming beverage cos of about 15% as is average. So in my analysis of the 10 cabins (26 PAX) versus the 2 PH suites (4 PAX), that equates to savings of 22 PAX at $8 per person or $208 per day, $2080 for the 10 day cruise.

So the cost savings lets even just call it out at $3000 in my analysis, so that $37k is now $34k....

Still not sure how suite guests are spend so much more on board than standard cabins....Yes they pay more for a cabin than 1 person other place does, but when you factor in the 5 cabins displaced, no they(we) aren't paying more in the big picture, even if our cabin fare is higher than standard cabin our revenue per square foot is not even close, suite passengers lie myself are ripping the lines off really, but for my "hotel within a hotel" analysis.

So by your maths the cruise lines are losing money on suite passengers. One has to wonder how their bean counters got it so wrong.

So by your maths the cruise lines are losing money on suite passengers. One has to wonder how their bean counters got it so wrong.

You need to read my other post near the end where I discuss the "hotel within a hotel" concept to understand the relationship.

There are higher margins with suite guests. With newer ships being built by Oceania, Viking and Seabourn there is more competition at the higher end than ever before. This is what convinced Celebrity that it needed a suite only restaurant, to justify rising prices and increased competition .

Celebrity's prices have risen by over 50% in the last two years. The ships are nearly full. I've begun migrating away from Celebrity because their product is good, but not at a price that approaches Oceania or even Seabourn (Celebrity is about 20% less suite for suite ).

Perhaps the new suite restaurant will offer food as good as what was hoped for in Blu. I've found Blu recently to be slightly better than average sometimes and occasionally dreadful. The pecan coated duck breast is the worst dish I've ever had on a ship. ( maybe 25 cruises?)

I completed a four week B2B in May. The first two weeks in a suite on the Reflection, the next two weeks in a cabin ( 300 sq ft ) on the Seabourn Quest.

There was about a 20% price differential when you factor in free alcohol, and near free internet etc.

It wasn't a fair fight, there is no comparison in food or service. My point being, as Celebrity raises it's prices, it needs to improve its product or get outclassed by the premium cruise lines it suites compete with.

I don't take either of those positions. Mine is:

3. Its none of my business how a cruise line chooses to treat its passengers. The cruise line knows its customers and what they need to provide them to fill their ships and make a profit. If I don't like what's being offered to me for the fare I'm prepared to pay, I don't have to sail with them - if I do like what's on offer I'll give them my business.

Ditto. If I want the perks of a Suite I'll book a suite. If someone else gets them for what they paid why should I think I am being treated badly. If I pay that amount I can have those perks too.

Ok then, I buy this - to an extent.

But I'm asking how the suite guest on Celebrity is bringing in more revenue for celebrity versus the standard cabin guest. It's not thru their onboard spending. And it's not in the dollar paid for the cabin when related to a square foot of finite space on the ship.

I think X does a great job marketing their standard cabins as more favorable to other lines, I don't think people book standard cabins because they know there are some awesome suites down the hall from them though.

Some suite guests bring more revenue to Celebrity than others, just as some guests in an inside room bring more revenue to others. From our recent interactions with Celebrity, I believe that they are starting to recognise that. Some on board spend is more profitable that others. However, you have to remember that it is not only on board spend which counts. I am sure that Celebrity now do. However, it is very difficult to balance everything when they are working globally. With North American customers, revenue is very much focused on on-board spend. With the rest of the world, much more revenue is derived from other sources - pre- and post-cruise hotels and flights as well as advance purchases [especially of OBC].

It is an extremely complex equation but it is clear from our conversations with various Celebrity people on our last cruise they are much more focused on who is spending on what and, therefore, who is most profitable.

I know I've posted this before, but it bears repeating.

The CEO of RCCL was recently interviewed on CNBC. His focus is on driving up revenue per passenger per day, while lowering costs per passenger day...by up to 15% annually combined...that's the metric that they use to fuel corporate income growth over the next five years.

It's not complicated to see how that effects us, the passenger....

I'll say that we enjoy suite cruising and are fortunate at this time in our life to be able to do so.

When we cruise, we are on "vacation" so we generate revenue for the line in many of the extras like spa, shopping, alcohol, specialty dining, tipping, etc...

Now, we enjoy the larger cabin of course, but if the extras were not included such as priority boarding and similar perks, we would pause before cruising a line that did not offer this.

Would we pay the suite price for a non-suite cabin and perks? No.

What we spend in our opinion is not just for the extra room and attention of the stateroom attendants (butlers), but the other amenities that accompany.

There may come a time when our suite cruising may cease and at that time we would not expect the extra amenities that suite passengers enjoy.

If you can afford it, then why should you not reap the benefits? I begrudge no one that enjoys the suite level, nor do I judge those that choose not to book a suite. At the martini bar, we all drink together and laugh together...;)

Celebrity had to improve their suite offering unless they wanted to be another Carnival, left behind by cruise lines that offered more to those willing to pay more.

This year we've sailed Crystal and Fred Olsen - almost opposite ends of the spectrum. We probably won't book with either again (unless it's a killer itinerary). With Crystal it's because their chefs don't understand the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid. The food is way too complicated. With Fred it's simply that they haven't kept up with the times (though they have a very high repeat cruiser ratio. So maybe it's just me).

We have cruised with Celebrity previously a few years ago and have three booked with them now precisely because we like the suite life and because they are upping their game.

I really had to go back and re-visit the maths on this one. I used an international travel agent website that specialises in cruises. I chose a seven day celebrity cruise with port stops most days and I chose two adults per cabin.

Using the lowest category inside room calculation per square foot the penthouse generates just a little more income per square foot with the royal and sky suites generating close to 40% more per square foot (including the verandha). In other words the suite guests are more than paying their way unlike Curts calculations.

It gets even more lopsided if you consider the basic fixed costs per passenger and subtract those from the fare before calculating the income per square foot and suddenly suite passengers are paying likely more than double per square foot of the base cabin price.

Repeatedly the penthouse is the exception, though I suspect from my reading of the threads here that a reasonable amount of the time the penthouse contains 3 or four people.

I really had to go back and re-visit the maths on this one. I used an international travel agent website that specialises in cruises. I chose a seven day celebrity cruise with port stops most days and I chose two adults per cabin.

Using the lowest category inside room calculation per square foot the penthouse generates just a little more income per square foot with the royal and sky suites generating close to 40% more per square foot (including the verandha). In other words the suite guests are more than paying their way unlike Curts calculations.

It gets even more lopsided if you consider the basic fixed costs per passenger and subtract those from the fare before calculating the income per square foot and suddenly suite passengers are paying likely more than double per square foot of the base cabin price.

Repeatedly the penthouse is the exception, though I suspect from my reading of the threads here that a reasonable amount of the time the penthouse contains 3 or four people.

Interesting.

As the UK website is under maintenance this weekend [who would have thought it!], I cannot check this with the cruises I am following so would you mind letting us know whether the ship you used was an M-class or S-class, please.

I am assuming that you are including the balcony square footage in the calculations but which region was the cruise you selected, please? There is usually a noticeable difference in the relative price of the higher-end suites in different regions.

Interesting.

As the UK website is under maintenance this weekend [who would have thought it!], I cannot check this with the cruises I am following so would you mind letting us know whether the ship you used was an M-class or S-class, please.

I am assuming that you are including the balcony square footage in the calculations but which region was the cruise you selected, please? There is usually a noticeable difference in the relative price of the higher-end suites in different regions.

The ship was the silhouette, on a carribean itinerary. Yes the balcony was included in the calculations. Even if there is a difference in the higher end suite prices in different regions I think that it will still be more per square foot.

The ship was the silhouette, on a carribean itinerary. Yes the balcony was included in the calculations. Even if there is a difference in the higher end suite prices in different regions I think that it will still be more per square foot.

Thanks for getting back to me. It might be interesting to do some more comparisons when I have some spare time - not only for different regions but for, say, "holiday" cruises. I have my theories but I have never thought to check them like you have.

I'd like to see your math, I showed mine. The Penthouse suites on M class ships displace 10 cabins, a mix of concierge and Family Verandas. I determined this based on using a website that lets you superimpose 2 ship decks on top of each other to be sure. I included the verandas.

I also included veranda cabins as the suites are displacing verandas, not insides and the ship contains far more cabins with verandas than insides and the question is would a standard cabin be better at generating revenue if it replaced the suite, and an inside isn't going to replace those cabins.

If you did add 3rd and 4th person to penthouse, their extra costs s only $750 or so per person, nor much different if at all different, than standard cabins.

But for the sake of argument, what is the revenue generated from 10 inside cabins on european Sailing on connie from Amsterdam to Turkey