Should suite passengers get anything except their cabin.

PoppyandNana

I am struggling with your logic. A person that wants an ocean view rather than an inside cabin is paying extra for that extra. Same goes with the balcony. Are you saying they aren't getting enough?

As a first time Celebrity Cruiser, I'm willing to pay suite prices to get suite extras. Are you suggesting taking all those extras away until I get the Elite status? Is Celebrity losing Elite cruisers because they don't get the suite extras?

I must admit I don't see your logic.

Burt

You are missing the simplicity of the logic. Person A pays $1000 for an OV cabin. Person B pays $1500 for a balcony. Should B get priority boarding or other extras outside the cabin? Aren't they already getting better accommodations than A? Isn't that what they paid extra for? Why should they get more than that? Do you agree?

Person C pays $3000 for a suite. Why should C get priority boarding just because they are in a suite? Aren't they already getting better accommodations than B? Isn't that what they paid extra for? Why should they get more than that? Why do you disagree?

Edited by PoppyandNana

You are missing the simplicity of the logic. ........Person C pays $3000 for a suite. Why should C get priority boarding just because they are in a suite? Aren't they already getting better accommodations than B? Isn't that what they paid extra for? Why should they get more than that? Why do you disagree?

Because we didn't just pay for the bigger room. We wanted the butler, priority boarding, priority seating at shows and even one free specialty meal, so we willingly paid the price for it. While I admit a larger bathroom is nice, it is not enough for the price. We are not that big of fans of Celebrity, if it weren't for those extras, we would have chosen Princess.

Your basing your reasoning off square feet, not goods and services.

Burt

You are missing the simplicity of the logic. Person A pays $1000 for an OV cabin. Person B pays $1500 for a balcony. Should B get priority boarding or other extras outside the cabin? Aren't they already getting better accommodations than A? Isn't that what they paid extra for? Why should they get more than that? Do you agree?

Person C pays $3000 for a suite. Why should C get priority boarding just because they are in a suite? Aren't they already getting better accommodations than B? Isn't that what they paid extra for? Why should they get more than that? Why do you disagree?

So a bigger tip that comes from ordering a more expensive bottle of wine shouldnt get you better service either?

I am all for suite guests getting extra amenities/perks in their suite. ie. butlers, in-suite dining, free laundry, free internet, upscaled entertainment facilities - whatever? However, I am not that happy with a two-class ship where specific areas are reserved for suite guests. I think the facilities on the ship, outside of the staterooms, should be for everyone to enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

If something costs $X and produces $Y revenue, as long as X < Y, any company will do it. If each early board costs $.25 in shoreside time and customer goodwill (ie, negative goodwill from people who stare at them from the cattle call line), but becomes $15 in value to a marked up fare, they will do it, and would be derelict in their fiduciary duties if they didn't.

Similarly, if a public area that generated $1/sq ft/sailing can be converted into an amenity that generates $3/sq ft/sailing, they will do that all day every day. The cost of the loss of that space is weighed very carefully, I'm certain. When you only have 11 facilities to manage, you can do deep dives into optimizing their revenue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you that the cruise lines have done the math but what is your non-refutable evidence that they don't agree with me or is this just your conjuncture?

Do a head count... how many posters have agreed with your point of view vs those being happy with Celebrity's decision to reward different classes of accommodations with perks beyond the cabins they occupy.

Celebrity has made the decision to offer those perks to fill the suites, something that your marketing plan would not do as witnessed by those with suite experience in response to your premise.

I think it is a case of "Suite Envy" similar to many posts by cruisers that are resentful of perks enjoyed by "Elites" and up.

Suite perks can be purchased by moving up to the suite class.

Celebrity has a marketing plan that is apparently successful in filling their ships. I think that they will not mess with their success and will continue to charge what the market will bear for each cabin class.

Does anyone think that the suites are advertised as they are and whatever the perks are,they are what they are and it's a bit of take it or leave it.Does it really matter about what anyone's opinions are ,you book them or you don't.No one is forcing anyone to take them.Don't get me wrong I have my own thoughts on this but at the end of the day isn't it up to Celebrity to decide how they want things done?If you don't agree with what happens with suites don't book them.

I've been lurking in this post, reading away, shaking my head.

Based on Celebrity's known IT challenges with basic ecommerce, you're all assuming they have either the staff or computerized resources to make calculations that they may not or cannot make. There are MBA marknig VPs who are totally numbers driven, and their are advertising marketing VPs who are creatively driven, and of course there are a mix. Many a company's plan was based on a hunch and a feeling and not the numbers.

I'm not saying the plan isn't working however it was derived. It seems to be working by shrinking my bank account everytime I book or board, but I also think quite a few people are giving credit where it isn't deserved.

Happy sailling,

Jenna

I've been lurking in this post, reading away, shaking my head.

Based on Celebrity's known IT challenges with basic ecommerce, you're all assuming they have either the staff or computerized resources to make calculations that they may not or cannot make. There are MBA marknig VPs who are totally numbers driven, and their are advertising marketing VPs who are creatively driven, and of course there are a mix. Many a company's plan was based on a hunch and a feeling and not the numbers.

I'm not saying the plan isn't working however it was derived. It seems to be working by shrinking my bank account everytime I book or board, but I also think quite a few people are giving credit where it isn't deserved.

Happy sailling,

Jenna

Actually, it is was more than a "hunch and a feeling". We were on board when Celebrity marketing people held their conference on Constellation last year. Our butler was also Michael Bayley's butler and he [our butler] shared with us a number of insights into what they were trying to do.

Do a head count... how many posters have agreed with your point of view vs those being happy with Celebrity's decision to reward different classes of accommodations with perks beyond the cabins they occupy.

Celebrity has made the decision to offer those perks to fill the suites, something that your marketing plan would not do as witnessed by those with suite experience in response to your premise.

I think it is a case of "Suite Envy" similar to many posts by cruisers that are resentful of perks enjoyed by "Elites" and up.

Suite perks can be purchased by moving up to the suite class.

Celebrity has a marketing plan that is apparently successful in filling their ships. I think that they will not mess with their success and will continue to charge what the market will bear for each cabin class.

First of all I am at the Elite level and certainly know the various perks offered. I do not have suite envy and could well afford one if we chose to. In our opinion, while being in a suite would be nice, we get enough perks from our Elite level to satisfy our needs and the extra thousands of dollars is not worth it. Between our own capabilities and the CC hostess we don't know what we would do with a butler. The whole basis of this exercise was to compare the cost variance in the progression from inside to OV, OV to balcony and what those categories receive or don't in extras compared to what suite passengers receive. Basically each category cost more than the previous one without an appreciable increase in extras with the exception of balcony to suite. Is that in of itself sufficient to warrant perks that say a balcony passenger does not receive compared to an inside cabin passenger even though the cost variance may very well be comparable?

Edited by PoppyandNana

The whole basis of this exercise was to compare the cost variance in the progression from inside OV, OV to balcony and what those categories receive or don't in extras compared to what suite passengers receive.

Hmmm, this doesn't correlate with your original post at all.

It appears from the trend of your posts that you feel justified with your Elite perks because they were earned through loyalty of repeated cruises with Celebrity. You have less respect for suite perks because they were bought at a price instead as a reward for loyalty. I wonder, how would you feel if Celebrity offered the Elite perks to any cruiser for an extra charge?

Burt

Actually, it is was more than a "hunch and a feeling". We were on board when Celebrity marketing people held their conference on Constellation last year. Our butler was also Michael Bayley's butler and he [our butler] shared with us a number of insights into what they were trying to do.

Sue,

I don't mean what they are doing being a hunch at all. I mean them having actual numbers and data to backup their plan. Did the butler actually share the numbers ? I'm not sure they actually can do the sophisticate analysis large companies like Walmart, Amazon, Zappos, Target, Disney and Marriott are doing otherwise we would be seeing much more sophisticated and targeted marketing.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

First of all I am at the Elite level and certainly know the various perks offered. I do not have suite envy and could well afford one if we chose to. In our opinion, while being in a suite would be nice, we get enough perks from our Elite level to satisfy our needs and the extra thousands of dollars is not worth it. Between our own capabilities and the CC hostess we don't know what we would do with a butler. The whole basis of this exercise was to compare the cost variance in the progression from inside to OV, OV to balcony and what those categories receive or don't in extras compared to what suite passengers receive. Basically each category cost more than the previous one without an appreciable increase in extras with the exception of balcony to suite. Is that in of itself sufficient to warrant perks that say a balcony passenger does not receive compared to an inside cabin passenger even though the cost variance may very well be comparable?

Isn't this exactly what they're doing with various levels of verandas?

Some are more because of better views, some are more because of location and others (concierge and aqua) are the same basic size but cost more. There are many levels below suites at various costs with varied perks.

We'll informed cruisers get what they pay for. Thanks cruise critic.

Happy sailing,

Jenn

Is that in of itself sufficient to warrant perks that say a balcony passenger does not receive compared to an inside cabin passenger even though the cost variance may very well be comparable?

In Celebrity's opinion and to the delight of suite customers, YES! Cruising is not a public service paid for by our tax dollars - it's a service provided by a private or public company to ANYONE willing to pay the fare. The fare paid and the service received is a private matter between the company and the customer - it's no business at all of yours or mine. If you think these customers are getting more than they pay for then why not belly up yourself? If you don't like it, here are a couple of options:

1. Buy enough shares in RCCL to establish a meaningful voting position which could allow you to influence corporate decisions.

2. Choose another line which treats passengers with the degree of equality which pleases you.

Jenna

He did not share numbers with us but, rather, what was being focused on - the profitability of each [type of] guest and how to attract the most profitable. We also gained insights on this topic from the specialty restaurant maitre d' and the on board Marketing officer.

Many on board at the same time as us, we were told, were some of the least profitable for Celebrity - those with a beverage package included who spent all day round to pool, did not take ships excursions [surprisingly, to us at least, the item that produced the most profit from guests we were told] and did not eat in the specialty restaurants [lucky that because they were full to bursting with those attending the marketing conference]. Basically, they spent very little, if anything, beyond the initial cruise fare.

This conference happened after the new Captain's Club benefits were implemented but before the new suite benefits were announced.

DW and I choose to book suites when we cruise, we like the extra space they provide, locations on the ships as well as the additional perks that come with those suites.

I can only assume that once the full spectrum of new Suite Perks comes into play in 2015; Suite only access to Michales Club, the dedicated dining room, complimentary Premium Beverage Package (RS and higher), complimentary Unlimited Specialty Dining (RS and higher), complimentary Unlimited Internet (RS and Higher) and complimentary Unlimited Mini Bar (RS and higher) that the cost for the Suites will climb even higher than they are now especially with the Royal, Penthouse & Reflection suites.

I can guarantee you that these numbers have been closely examined by RCI and Celebrity and they have determined that these changes will lead to increased revenue overall. IMO it will also cause some who have been booking AQ or CC rooms over the last few years to start looking at booking suites to take advantage of the new perks.

DW and I are very fortunate to have the ability to travel in Suites but the room in which we travel in no way impacts the people we meet, ports we all visit and wonders we see while on a cruise!

DW and I choose to book suites when we cruise, we like the extra space they provide, locations on the ships as well as the additional perks that come with those suites.

I can only assume that once the full spectrum of new Suite Perks comes into play in 2015; Suite only access to Michales Club, the dedicated dining room, complimentary Premium Beverage Package (RS and higher), complimentary Unlimited Specialty Dining (RS and higher), complimentary Unlimited Internet (RS and Higher) and complimentary Unlimited Mini Bar (RS and higher) that the cost for the Suites will climb even higher than they are now especially with the Royal, Penthouse & Reflection suites.

I can guarantee you that these numbers have been closely examined by RCI and Celebrity and they have determined that these changes will lead to increased revenue overall. IMO it will also cause some who have been booking AQ or CC rooms over the last few years to start looking at booking suites to take advantage of the new perks.

DW and I are very fortunate to have the ability to travel in Suites but the room in which we travel in no way impacts the people we meet, ports we all visit and wonders we see while on a cruise!

Well said.

Hmmm, this doesn't correlate with your original post at all.

It appears from the trend of your posts that you feel justified with your Elite perks because they were earned through loyalty of repeated cruises with Celebrity. You have less respect for suite perks because they were bought at a price instead as a reward for loyalty. I wonder, how would you feel if Celebrity offered the Elite perks to any cruiser for an extra charge?

Burt

Bingo!!

In Celebrity's opinion and to the delight of suite customers, YES! Cruising is not a public service paid for by our tax dollars - it's a service provided by a private or public company to ANYONE willing to pay the fare. The fare paid and the service received is a private matter between the company and the customer - it's no business at all of yours or mine. If you think these customers are getting more than they pay for then why not belly up yourself? If you don't like it, here are a couple of options:

1. Buy enough shares in RCCL to establish a meaningful voting position which could allow you to influence corporate decisions.

2. Choose another line which treats passengers with the degree of equality which pleases you.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't even understand why this is a topic for discussion. Suite accomodations are open to everyone, as are concierge class, aqua, and standard staterooms. If Celebrity chooses to make the prices look more attractive by the addition of certain benefits, that's just good marketing. Same thing is done by airlines, hotels, etc., so why would one comment or even complain about the practice?