Should suite passengers get anything except their cabin.

PoppyandNana

I’m responding because ..............

I'm sure there's a point somewhere there in a huge, unbroken and possibly poorly punctuated paragraph, that I would either agree or disagree with.

I just couldn't bring myself to read past the first few lines.

I’m responding because I appreciate the OP’s question, and while the topic has been beat to death I feel strongly about what is happening with Celebrity. I fell in love with Celebrity on the Expedition where everyone had full access to the open bar and all public areas. This was my one and only suite experience on Celebrity, and I did so only because it was the last room available and my dates were not flexible. My second cruise was around New Zealand after back surgery. I needed a holiday, but could only walk short distances. I picked Celebrity based on my Expedition experience. I loved it, and got hooked on being lazy, spending heaps of time with my DH, and eating good food and enjoying countless G&Ts. The real issue for me is that Celebrity is changing, and I don’t like the direction they are going in by limiting public spaces. I am a firm believer that the price of the suite is primarily about getting nicer accommodation. I can easily afford a suite, but never spend much time in the room so could not justify the price. I do not have suite envy, or long for the day when I can afford one. I just wouldn’t use the space. I have heaps of hotel suite experience due to status upgrades, and I never use the space. The same goes with the cruise is that I drop my bags and go exploring. I have elite status, and the answer to the question posted earlier is that yes I will leave Celebrity if they continue to take away what is now public space. I have elite status because I have continued to choose Celebrity because I enjoy the service, food, bars, public spaces, no smoking policy, and general lack of children among other things. I do spend a lot of money on beverage packages, specialty restaurants, wine events, cooking classes, chef’s table dinners, fitness classes, spa treatments and shore excursions. I do not cruise to see different places in the world. My NZ cruise confirmed to me that cruising is a sampler. I have made 5 trips there for self-drive holidays, and the cruise didn’t even scratch the surface of this beautiful country. I travel extensively on land, and I cruise when I have an extra week or two and want to spend quality time with my spouse just relaxing, and eating and drinking too much if I am being honest. As I said, I will leave Celebrity if they continue to change because I don’t like the direction they are going. This doesn’t mean I don’t think they are justified in doing so based on financial decisions, but it will no longer work for me. If I have to pay a higher price for a room that I will not use just to be able to eat at any restaurant or sit in any bar, then I will look at other luxury lines that justify the price with a better total package that addresses my wants and needs.

Isn't it all about perspective? There are other ways to see your exact point, if you can get past the "loosing public space dilemma". Maybe you're not paying for the room, but paying for a special restaurant, a special lounge, or priority embarkation? The larger room is just an added bonus. Many hotels have special floors, they charge more for the same room on that floor with lounge access. The room is no bigger. Celebrity does this with AQ and concierge rooms. Essentially the same room with added perks. One thing many who book suites would agree with you on is they don't book just because the room is ALSO bigger, but for the added perks. Every cruise is priced and VALUED differently.

The two areas of celebrity ships which are not open to the public right now are Blu and Michael's club. Eventually there will be a third in the suite dining room. Have you dined in Blu? What's the difference between that and the upcoming suite restaurant?

Maybe you would enjoy a true luxury line where everyone had access to every corner of the ship, maybe you'd value a celebrity suite experience. We've found we value the larger ship experience and the space we get for a larger cabin vs a similar price for a smaller cabin. While the prices of each are similar we still find lower prices and higher value on Celebrity because we don't pay for airfare and can book business or first class often upgrading with miles. We prefer to do our own things in port, so for us, including these a extras is of little value. Of course with recent changes by celebrity the inclusive drink issue is nearly non-existent.

Is your experience really degraded by not having access to one bar and a couple of restaurants? Or better yet, are you taking advantage of your elite perks where they close a venue for you and not available to everyone else?

Food for thought I guess.

Happy sailing, regardless of which line you choose,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Isn't it all about perspective? There are other ways to see your exact point, if you can get past the "loosing public space dilemma". Maybe you're not paying for the room, but paying for a special restaurant, a special lounge, or priority embarkation? The larger room is just an added bonus. Many hotels have special floors, they charge more for the same room on that floor with lounge access. The room is no bigger. Celebrity does this with AQ and concierge rooms. Essentially the same room with added perks. One thing many who book suites would agree with you on is they don't book just because the room is ALSO bigger, but for the added perks. Every cruise is priced and VALUED differently.

The two areas of celebrity ships which are not open to the public right now are Blu and Michael's club. Eventually there will be a third in the suite dining room. Have you dined in Blu? What's the difference between that and the upcoming suite restaurant?

Maybe you would enjoy a true luxury line where everyone had access to every corner of the ship, maybe you'd value a celebrity suite experience. We've found we value the larger ship experience and the space we get for a larger cabin vs a similar price for a smaller cabin. While the prices of each are similar we still find lower prices and higher value on Celebrity because we don't pay for airfare and can book business or first class often upgrading with miles. We prefer to do our own things in port, so for us, including these a extras is of little value. Of course with recent changes by celebrity the inclusive drink issue is nearly non-existent.

Is your experience really degraded by not having access to one bar and a couple of restaurants? Or better yet, are you taking advantage of your elite perks where they close a venue for you and not available to everyone else?

Food for though I guess.

Happy sailing, regardless of which line you choose,

Jenna

Thanks for the excellent points.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

The real issue for me is that Celebrity is changing, and I don’t like the direction they are going in by limiting public spaces.

Perhaps if you understand that all that is being "taken away" is one public space and not many "public spaces" you will not be so upset. As, originally, no one had full access to the whole of the MDR - just the seat they were allocated, dividing the MDR differently really affects nobody.

Edited by Project_gal

These "limitations" / "restrictions" are just tiny, first steps. What comes next? Maybe only verandas will have access to MDR ... OV's and Insides can only eat in the buffet? Maybe access to the pools will be for verandas and above? Is Celebrity "testing the waters"? Moving towards pared down or "no frills" ... except for the suites?

There once was a little-known, "no frills" cruise line (EasyCruise) where you paid for everything. You basically "bought" your bunk space. Food was available ... for purchase. No stateroom attendants ... no chocolate on the pillow (deja vous?) Can this be the direction in which Celebrity has started tip-toeing? :eek:

Personally, I am a devoted Celebrity cruiser and have enjoyed many days on board. Maybe I am a little self-serving when I say that I'm not a big fan of the changes that are happening ... but, for the time being, I will still be booking with Celebrity ... at least until I actually get a check at the end of dinner. :rolleyes:

These "limitations" / "restrictions" are just tiny, first steps. What comes next? Maybe only verandas will have access to MDR ... OV's and Insides can only eat in the buffet? Maybe access to the pools will be for verandas and above? Is Celebrity "testing the waters"? Moving towards pared down or "no frills" ... except for the suites?

There once was a little-known, "no frills" cruise line (EasyCruise) where you paid for everything. You basically "bought" your bunk space. Food was available ... for purchase. No stateroom attendants ... no chocolate on the pillow (deja vous?) Can this be the direction in which Celebrity has started tip-toeing? :eek:

Personally, I am a devoted Celebrity cruiser and have enjoyed many days on board. Maybe I am a little self-serving when I say that I'm not a big fan of the changes that are happening ... but, for the time being, I will still be booking with Celebrity ... at least until I actually get a check at the end of dinner. :rolleyes:

This thread is stupid. Your response is totally wrong. Some people, self included, are more than willing to pay for certain things. I suggest if it doesn't work for you, then find another cruise line!

Your post assumes lines make policies for no reason other thanonly to be punitive to lesser cabins.

What they do, is adjust to follow the wants and desires of their travelers. Higher category cabins want extra perks, and show this by they willingness to pay extra. Lesser category cabins show their desire for a bargain price, by not instead booking higher category cabins when available.

Celebrity ships have about 26 premium cabins, and another 50 or so sky suites, out of over 1000 cabins on board (obviously varies by ship). I wouldn't worry too much about the entire ship becoming Suitesville with all the other cabins relegated to the basement.

The fact that "there once was" a line called Easy Cruise that's no more, kind of proves out that lines won't be going that route any time soon.

Yet on airlines, people are buying tickets on Ryan Air where and other similar airlines that charge piece meal for everything you do, even in cabin luggage.

Some people want it on airlines. None want it on cruises. So I really don't see cruises resorting to the good old days where inside cabins must stay on deck 3 or below eating their oatmeal for dinner.

Edited by cle-guy

Perhaps if you understand that all that is being "taken away" is one public space and not many "public spaces" you will not be so upset. As, originally, no one had full access to the whole of the MDR - just the seat they were allocated, dividing the MDR differently really affects nobody.

As far as I am concerned, on the Eclipse, Michael's Bar is a no go area for us as we do not like the current entertainer. We loved it on our first few cruises but now only go in if there is nothing on.

From what I can see it is usually the most under utilised space on any of the ships we have been on and not to be able to go in there.

On reading the thread I went back to the start to see how it arose. I slightly disagree with the point that more seasoned cruisers spend on repeat excursions with the cruise lines. It is the newer cruisers who do that. We did it when we started and would still do it if we hadn't been somewhere but we are running out of places we haven't been.

I think that cruise companies need to offer more to sell the larger rooms but the extras once bedding in will probably give the companies the ability to raise the suite prices further.

There probably isn't much difference between the suite extras and the Captain's Club points system. Both are there to sell more cruises and to encourage some to take more cruises to build up points. It is all to improve profits. I am glad I bought those shares a few years ago.

I have had rooms with balconies, Mini suites, and full suite's over the years. When we do spend a bit more on a suite it is nice to feel that you can justify, if only to yourself, the extra cost but ticking off what you won't need to spend cash on.

Gordon

all I can say is here we go again. :rolleyes:

When i pay more I expect more whether its for a car, high end steak house, my house, a hotel, a cruise, airline tickets etc. Period.

If I see value in what is being offered, I will buy it...when I no longer see the value I change. When i splurge and book a suite I expect more. I am glad they are adding benefits to the suite class. Celebrity still offers a product I value and will book as long as I believe there is value. :)

There probably isn't much difference between the suite extras and the Captain's Club points system. Both are there to sell more cruises and to encourage some to take more cruises to build up points. It is all to improve profits. I am glad I bought those shares a few years ago.

You are correct! Those who purchase suites, get some extras/perks and those, depending on their Captain's Club tier level, get extras/perks as well. I really don't see the difference. To me it is the same to close off Michael's Club to only suite guests, as it is to close off a venue for an Elite breakfast, Elite happy hour, a Captain's Club cocktail party or a Cruise Critic meet and greet.

I'm happy for whatever extras/perks someone gets and have never had an issue with someone else getting something that I did not get. As long as the ship is moving, they serve me dinner, I don't have to do the dishes, etc., I'm a happy camper and will continue to cruise no matter what venues, restaurants, lounges I can't get into.

When i pay more I expect more whether its for a car, high end steak house, my house, a hotel, a cruise, airline tickets etc. Period.

If I see value in what is being offered, I will buy it...when I no longer see the value I change. When i splurge and book a suite I expect more. I am glad they are adding benefits to the suite class. Celebrity still offers a product I value and will book as long as I believe there is value. :)

Totally agree.

Mary Lou

Celebrity is evolving and changing.

I just looked at the prices of suites for the European cruises in 2015. They are running close to $1000 per day after you factor in taxes and gratuities. This is up from about $600 currently, Tuesday specials excluded. The new suite restaurant sounds like it will be a nice upgrade from Blu/ MDR, but it's only dinner and doubtfully $400 per day better.

This is what a Seabourn suite costs! IMO, having just completed a Seabourn cruise, Celebrity is nice, but it isn't anything close to Seabourn nice.

I'm currently booked in a suite on the Silhouette for a month beginning Oct 18, but doubtfully again.

Good for Celebrity if they can sell out the suites at $1000 per night..., but it won't be with me.

I just looked at the prices of suites for the European cruises in 2015. They are running close to $1000 per day after you factor in taxes and gratuities. This is up from about $600 currently, Tuesday specials excluded. The new suite restaurant sounds like it will be a nice upgrade from Blu/ MDR, but it's only dinner and doubtfully $400 per day better.

This is what a Seabourn suite costs! IMO, having just completed a Seabourn cruise, Celebrity is nice, but it isn't anything close to Seabourn nice.

I'm currently booked in a suite on the Silhouette for a month beginning Oct 18, but doubtfully again.

Good for Celebrity if they can sell out the suites at $1000 per night..., but it won't be with me.

I had booked a very nice suite on Azamara for New Zealand . I looked at basically the same suite on Celebrity...a Royal Suite, and the perks were better and really all inclusive. I cancelled Azamara, where still we had to pay for speciality restaurants and the included liquor was poor. So we are right under $1000 a day for two people, all included, premium drink pkg, gratuities, speciality restaurants, plus Michaels Club, for $7000 less! I do not think $1000 a day for everything is a lot. Oh, don't forget the fact that you are being transported on a nice ship! This is not a marketing ploy IMHO, but smart business. Some people have 4 expensive cars, a boat, a motor home, so if those of us prefer one car and nice travel benefits, and are willing to pay for it, why is this an issue? Celebrity wants to market to all customers. Just like the the Xpedition which we will be going a second time in January..it is a real speciality cruise, and has been a tremendous hit! It is all about choices.

The limiting of multiple spaces (Michael's, Blu, MDR) does negatively impact my cruise experience. I have not dined in Blu because I have only been on one cruise with AQ rooms, and I did not like the location of the rooms. My next cruise will be my first as Elite, and I do not plan on going to the breakfast because I enjoy the buffet or the evening drinks because I have a beverage package. I do not think a comparison to hotels or airlines is legitimate because what I am talking about here is that I don't like the changes Celebrity is making. If I just started cruising, then I would just not cruise with them just like I don't cruise Cunard. I think that it is great for the people that this business model does work for, but it doesn't work for me. It is not a judgment about what others find valuable. I am just disappointed because I have enjoyed Celebrity the way it was, and now the changes are causing me to look elsewhere. This is so often the case with many things.

Not quite true:

What are the new benefits of Suite Class?

All Suite guests (Sky Suites and higher) will have access to a new dedicated exclusive restaurant for Breakfast, Brunch and Dinner

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

The value proposition is yours, but I tent to agree more with Merriem in this case. No doubt the Seabourn cruise would be nicer, in a lot of ways and I will end up booking one. I almost did Miami to Tahiti, 35 days, but I am also only able to cruise during certain times so were doing something else. The cabin space (SQ) is important to us, as are the benefits, and larger ship so we're happy with Celebrity for now.

I've bee comparing opening prices 2014 cruises to opening prices fro 2015 cruises, and while the pricing is up, it's not remarkable. Maybe 5% in many cases. You can't compare a current price now, with an opening price that may still be the price for 2015. Many 2014 European prices came down when bookings were soft. If they don't sell 2015, the same thing will happen.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I believe that suite passengers ARE paying for the perks and extras. It's already built into the cost of the accommodation.

Totally agree

Am a great believer that nothing in life is free - you don't get anything for nothing !

Similarly, as someone else has said - as in all things in life, you get what you pay for and made our choice when you booked. If you can't afford suite (like us) it is just something else to dream about -----

For now I'm happy in my SV :)

Was talking the other day to a fellow avid cruiser. The topic was the growing trend to providing passengers who book a suite amenities outside the cabin itself. Collectively we have heard things like Michael's Club admittance, priority everything and more depending on the line.

Seemed to be two positions on the matter:

1. Passengers who book a suite get nicer accommodations. It should end there and not extend to things like priority theatre seating and the like. Places like Michaels Club should either be open to all, ala Perry Grant piano bar OR reserved for the most frequent sailing passengers. Over time, Elites, etc. return more profit to the cruise line than a first time passenger who happens to have the bucks to pay for a suite. They gamble, drink expensive drinks and take expensive tours ONCE, frequent sailers do it five, ten or twenty times or more. They are the ones who should get the extras.
  2. Passengers who book a suite pay a great deal of money. For that money they should get whatever extras the cruise line can throw their way. The suite experience together with all the ancillary perks helps insure that high roller suite passenger will come back time and time again.

Where do you stand?

The answer has been developed over many years and is the basis for the perks in Las Vegas. If you are a first time guest and you book a top suite, you will get some perks. If you are a regular guest, you also will get some perks. And some perks depend on your $ contribution, some depend on your time at the games. So it is a common sense mixture to reward both the loyal and the whales. However, the whales that I met on Celebrity had expressed their opinion to me that they were not "fed whale food". I am not a whale. I am a minnow but I swim with whales. We do see so many who have fake whale credentials. The suites do offer stretch out footage, but the accommodation luxury factor does not seem worthy of the hype.

• 2 weeks later...
all I can say is here we go again. :rolleyes:

Don't you get spectacular accommodations for your money? A balcony passenger pays a lot more than an inside cabin yet doesn't get anything extra except nicer accommodations. You are paying for the room not the ability to push ahead of others on the tender line.

Don't you get spectacular accommodations for your money? A balcony passenger pays a lot more than an inside cabin yet doesn't get anything extra except nicer accommodations. You are paying for the room not the ability to push ahead of others on the tender line.

I totally agree with the above. If you are paying top dollar then you should get top dollar accommodations and the service to go along with it. What is the problem is that some of that is being taken away from the less fortunate who are not in those high dollar suites and had always enjoyed those places before. ie. Michaels Club, etc.

I totally agree with the above. If you are paying top dollar then you should get top dollar accommodations and the service to go along with it. What is the problem is that some of that is being taken away from the less fortunate who are not in those high dollar suites and had always enjoyed those places before. ie. Michaels Club, etc.
Other than Michael's Club, which was barely every used, what else has been taken away from the rest of us? I would be in agreement with those that are upset about Michael's Club, if I had ever seen anyone in there, except for the one time when it was used as my muster station. Do you feel the same when they block off venues for Captain's Club breakfast or cocktail parties or cruise critic meet and greets, because not everyone on the ship can utilize the venues when these things are happening? Since Michael's Club was really never used much, what would have suggest that they turn it into or should they have left it as it was where it was bringing in no real revenue to the cruise line, thus being a waste of space? Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't take either of those positions. Mine is:

3. Its none of my business how a cruise line chooses to treat its passengers. The cruise line knows its customers and what they need to provide them to fill their ships and make a profit. If I don't like what's being offered to me for the fare I'm prepared to pay, I don't have to sail with them - if I do like what's on offer I'll give them my business.

I agree with you too.

I think today too many people worry about what someone else is getting.... we were quiet surprised on a recent airline flight, my DH and I were treated to a bottle of wine from 1st class when we were flying coach, later we learned that another passenger in coach complained to the head purser on board about it. Now if we were drunk and causing a problem, I could understand someone complaining, this was not the case. We were celebrating an anniversary and an airline crewmen who was a friend knew about it and wanted to do something special. I can't imagine complaining if I saw someone else receiving something over and beyond the norm. Life is full of surprises, I would be happy for someone else.

.........I think today too many people worry about what someone else is getting.... we were quiet surprised on a recent airline flight, my DH and I were treated to a bottle of wine from 1st class when we were flying coach, later we learned that another passenger in coach complained to the head purser on board about it. Now if we were drunk and causing a problem, I could understand someone complaining, this was not the case. We were celebrating an anniversary and an airline crewmen who was a friend knew about it and wanted to do something special. I can't imagine complaining if I saw someone else receiving something over and beyond the norm. Life is full of surprises, I would be happy for someone else.
But that is a totally different situation as they did not take the wine away from anyone else to give it to you.

I don't think that anyone here is complaining about suite passengers receiving perks for which they are paying extra (such as beverage packages, internet time, laundry service, etc.) that do not impact anyone else.

The complaints here are primarily about other passengers being inconvenienced or deprived of access to things they enjoyed previously in order to give new perks to the suite passengers.

Edited by varoo

But that is a totally different situation as they did not take the wine away from anyone else to give it to you.

I don't think that anyone here is complaining about suite passengers receiving perks for which they are paying extra (such as beverage packages, internet time, laundry service, etc.) that do not impact anyone else.

The complaints here are primarily about other passengers being inconvenienced or deprived of access to things they enjoyed previously in order to give new perks to the suite passengers.

What is being taken away from passengers not paying for the suite perks, they previously received?

Priority boarding? Others get that. Priority tendering? Other's get that too.

Really, the only example is Michael's Club, but as has been stated it was extremely under utilized and they have moved the beverages found there elsewhere. Additionally, there are venues that are often closed for others, such as Elite cocktail parties.

Unless you worry about it, I just don't see how it impacts other travels. If you really want these benefits, you're also free to book a suite.

Happy sailing (in whatever cabin you chose to purchase for your vacation),

Jenna

Other than Michael's Club, which was barely every used, what else has been taken away from the rest of us? I would be in agreement with those that are upset about Michael's Club, if I had ever seen anyone in there, except for the one time when it was used as my muster station. Do you feel the same when they block off venues for Captain's Club breakfast or cocktail parties or cruise critic meet and greets, because not everyone on the ship can utilize the venues when these things are happening? Since Michael's Club was really never used much, what would have suggest that they turn it into or should they have left it as it was where it was bringing in no real revenue to the cruise line, thus being a waste of space?

Au contrar. Michaels club used to be a piano bar, particularly when Perry was aboard. I'm sure the amount of liquor purchased over the course of a cruise was significant.

Au contrar. Michaels club used to be a piano bar, particularly when Perry was aboard. I'm sure the amount of liquor purchased over the course of a cruise was significant.
On one ship, does that mean it should stay that way on all ships? Perry has picked another location to do his show. What should be done on the other ships, since no one hardly ever used the venue and on Perry's ship, it was virtually only used during his show? Do you feel the same when venues are closed to the public for Captain's Club breakfast and cocktail parties or cruise critic meet and greets? Edited by NLH Arizona