Should suite passengers get anything except their cabin.

PoppyandNana

Was talking the other day to a fellow avid cruiser. The topic was the growing trend to providing passengers who book a suite amenities outside the cabin itself. Collectively we have heard things like Michael's Club admittance, priority everything and more depending on the line.

Seemed to be two positions on the matter:

1. Passengers who book a suite get nicer accommodations. It should end there and not extend to things like priority theatre seating and the like. Places like Michaels Club should either be open to all, ala Perry Grant piano bar OR reserved for the most frequent sailing passengers. Over time, Elites, etc. return more profit to the cruise line than a first time passenger who happens to have the bucks to pay for a suite. They gamble, drink expensive drinks and take expensive tours ONCE, frequent sailers do it five, ten or twenty times or more. They are the ones who should get the extras.
  2. Passengers who book a suite pay a great deal of money. For that money they should get whatever extras the cruise line can throw their way. The suite experience together with all the ancillary perks helps insure that high roller suite passenger will come back time and time again.

Where do you stand?

I'm not a suite cruiser and usually travel solo but will probably book a suite once before I retire just for the experience. I don't look at it as the cruise line is giving them anything. One way or the other they are paying for everything they get.

Over time, Elites, etc. return more profit to the cruise line than a first time passenger who happens to have the bucks to pay for a suite. They gamble, drink expensive drinks and take expensive tours ONCE, frequent sailers do it five, ten or twenty times or more. They are the ones who should get the extras.

I can say as a frequent cruiser, I don't spend so much money on board. There, I said it. It's not because I'm being cheap and trying to travel on a discount, it's simply that I've been there, done that. I've gotten off 4 of my 8 cruises without a dollar owed on my sea pass account (I prepay gratuities and get drink packages).

The menus stay the same in all the specialty restaurants, so no need to continue going unless a special occasion comes up. Drinks packages are offered so frequently, not much reason to spend money on drinks, though I will enjoy a decent bottle of wine.

After first trip, realized the "duty free" stores are a rip off/joke and no value when I get home, if I could partake of the beverages purchased at the duty free while on board, I would buy a bottle or 2 for my cabin and take the rest home, but otherwise, I'll just buy my booze at home.

Persian garden pass, another "meh" whats the big deal. Paid once, just don't get why it's a for fee experience, not gonna pay again.

Shore excursions, bought my first on my first sailing, now I realize I can do it on my own, in smaller more comfortable groups at my own pace, and then even save a little bit of money too, though money savings isn't my primary reason for self-excursioning.

How many ship-board photos do I need of myself, my formal portrait from high school finally got replaced by one now that I'm 45. So in another 25 years I'll need an update.

So I'm here to say that I am a firm believer the "repeat" cruiser while yes we do pay for cabin space, probably are not the ones spending huge sums on board. This, cruise needs to get additional money from us in the cabin fare itself, in this case the suites, and to do that, they need to add "perks" to give us the impression we are getting something, even though a lot of the perks are insignificant and don't cost a thing.

As "elites" we get so many free things, we don't need to pay or spend money too. free internet, free laundry, free drinks and receptions, free gelato....With these free things, we don't spend any money, we COST the line money.

Edited by cle-guy

Surely, it would make more sense if all lines adopted the following arrangements:

• All cabins to be exactly the same size. Pax will rotate among the cabins every morning, to ensure that there is an even spread of exposure to sunshine and the bowels of the ship.
  • All tickets to be exactly the same price, regardless of country, time or channel of purchase. You can forget the free OBC as well.
  • One restaurant, one sitting, with a fixed and limited range of bland food. First come, first served.
  • No spa, wine tasting, art auctions, photographers, or even tours to spend your money on. The ship stops, you get off, you get back on and the ship sails to next port.
  • A single theatre with all seats removed. Standing room only works fine for the proms at the Albert Hall.
  • All drinks included. Selections limited to a range of supermarket own-brand sodas, Polish garage made vodka and the cheapest beer available at the last port.
  • No loyalty programmes. Absolutely none. In fact, the more you sail, the less chance you have of scoring a cabin with a window. You've seen the sea before, so someone else should get a chance.
  • Tender priorities determined according to those who can make the most annoying whining noise over a measured 10 minute period. Auditions to be held in the buffet on a formal evening, so that those too cheap to buy a decent suit have the best chance.
  • No formal evenings. They pose a risk of extravagant displays of wealth. So tender priorities should be the same as abandoning ship - elbows out and fittest to the front.

I'm sure North Korea will be rolling out this business model for cruising soon. I commend it to anyone who would rather not have their holiday cost sponsored by the high prices paid by suite guests.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Surely, it would make more sense if all lines adopted the following arrangements:

• All cabins to be exactly the same size. Pax will rotate among the cabins every morning, to ensure that there is an even spread of exposure to sunshine and the bowels of the ship.
  • All tickets to be exactly the same price, regardless of country, time or channel of purchase. You can forget the free OBC as well.
  • One restaurant, one sitting, with a fixed and limited range of bland food. First come, first served.
  • No spa, wine tasting, art auctions, photographers, or even tours to spend your money on. The ship stops, you get off, you get back on and the ship sails to next port.
  • A single theatre with all seats removed. Standing room only works fine for the proms at the Albert Hall.
  • All drinks included. Selections limited to a range of supermarket own-brand sodas, Polish garage made vodka and the cheapest beer available at the last port.
  • No loyalty programmes. Absolutely none. In fact, the more you sail, the less chance you have of scoring a cabin with a window. You've seen the sea before, so someone else should get a chance.
  • Tender priorities determined according to those who can make the most annoying whining noise over a measured 10 minute period. Auditions to be held in the buffet on a formal evening, so that those too cheap to buy a decent suit have the best chance.

I'm sure North Korea will be rolling out this business model for cruising soon. I commend it to anyone who would rather not have their holiday cost sponsored by the high prices paid by suite guests.

Well said! Exactly what prison are you warden over? :D

I alway wonder why some will have a problem with a venue being blocked off for suite customers, who clearly pay for the privilege to have some extra perks, but don't have a problem with venues being blocked off for Elites and above, Cruise Critic meet and greets, etc. Why is it good for the goose, but not good for the gander?

I've been on many Celebrity cruises and I would have to say Michael's always seemed to be one of the most under utilized spaces across the fleet. (Well, except for the Constellation when it was Perry Grant's room and not counting Elite events.) In all our cruises we have maybe one or two drinks at most there and could usually count the other passengers in there on one hand.

Now Michael's has been commandeered strictly for suites and Zenith passenger use and all of a sudden everybody wants to go to there? Hmm....

The salesperson's best tool is the take away. Most people want what they can't have.

Celebrity is trying to compete with other cruise lines especially NCL with their Haven concept, I would expect on any new Celebrity ship you will see some type of area for suites possibly with a pool of their own. They started to do that on the Reflection suites which were an add on after the ship was already under construction. They took up a part of the sky lounge for a group of suites which can be closed off all at once. Since the ship was already under construction they were limited in what they could do.

Edited by dkjretired

I believe that suite passengers ARE paying for the perks and extras. It's already built into the cost of the accommodation.

Agreed, suites don't have anymore perks than anyone else because they pay A LOT for the additional luxurys.

Burt

Agreed, suites don't have anymore perks than anyone else because they pay A LOT for the additional luxurys.

Burt

Of course they are, but it is about what a customer wants. We enjoy a nice cabin, not crazy about the MDR with so many people. Like to pay one bill, and that is how it is going to be.

• No formal evenings. They pose a risk of extravagant displays of wealth. So tender priorities should be the same as abandoning ship - elbows out and fittest to the front.

Have to say that I always enjoy your posts. Loved this one.:)

Well I'm gonna toss out some honesty here that many would think wouldn't come from me. And may tick off some suite guests too.

I did the math a while back to determine revenue per square foot based on cabin types. I assumed a suite like the Penthouse on M class that takes the space of 5 standard cabins would generate more then 5 times the revenue, It doesn't technically they'd generate more revenue with 5 standard veranda cabins. Same with royal suites, they take space of 3-4 cabins, yet are not 4 times the cost of a standard veranda.

But the argument is, the line needs different cabins for different folks, and more than likely a cruise that has left open cabins, will have all the suites sold, and have left to sell instead standard cabins, so if they did not have the suites, they would have even more empty standard cabins.

So I'm here to day that Suites don't really generate a whole lot of "extra" money for the cruise lines an a per square foot basis versus standard cabins, as they get all the included perks, free dining etc. I'll have to reanalyze once suite perks roll out to see if the fare increases bring the cabins more in line with standard cabins.

Well I'm gonna toss out some honesty here that many would think wouldn't come from me. And may tick off some suite guests too.

I did the math a while back to determine revenue per square foot based on cabin types. I assumed a suite like the Penthouse on M class that takes the space of 5 standard cabins would generate more then 5 times the revenue, It doesn't technically they'd generate more revenue with 5 standard veranda cabins. Same with royal suites, they take space of 3-4 cabins, yet are not 4 times the cost of a standard veranda.

But the argument is, the line needs different cabins for different folks, and more than likely a cruise that has left open cabins, will have all the suites sold, and have left to sell instead standard cabins, so if they did not have the suites, they would have even more empty standard cabins.

So I'm here to day that Suites don't really generate a whole lot of "extra" money for the cruise lines an a per square foot basis versus standard cabins, as they get all the included perks, free dining etc. I'll have to reanalyze once suite perks roll out to see if the fare increases bring the cabins more in line with standard cabins.

Don't give them any more ideas.

Just back from a Baltic cruise on the Eclipse and th few times I walked past Michael's club ..it was empty! What happens to the staff who would be serving in there with very few people going in there? There seems to be a variance of opinion as to whether suite guests spend when away or not. If they don't spend well then the staff must surely be losing out.

Previously when Perry was appearing in there during the evening you could hardly fit a credit card between folk! I think this particular decision to restrict the use of this facility as a rather odd one.

A perk is a perk and as long as it doesn't really affect what I am paying for and my enjoyment of my holiday I don't really see the problem. I have to admit that every time I walk past the 1 metre square piece of "red carpet" by the gangway access to the ship for elevated guests to move through any waiting line makes me giggle. I have yet to see anyone walk over /through it :D

Anyone know where Perry is these days? I remember wolfing down dinner and racing to Michaels Club just to insure we got in the door much a seat. Was always packed from beginning to end.

Anyone know where Perry is these days? I remember wolfing down dinner and racing to Michaels Club just to insure we got in the door much a seat. Was always packed from beginning to end.

He's been spending time mostly on Eclipse.

I follow him on Facebook, and believe he just came off contract within a couple weeks and is spending time in England until his next go at it.

He just got his US Citizenship recently, and his US Passport last week.

On Eclipse, He's playing in Cellar Masters when he's on. I waited with him for an elevator one afternoon on the TA, and asked why he is stuffed in there, and not in sky lounge? He said he actually asked to be in Cellar Masters, as he doesn't really like the huge space of Sky lounge, he picked it himself.

I alway wonder why some will have a problem with a venue being blocked off for suite customers, who clearly pay for the privilege to have some extra perks, but don't have a problem with venues being blocked off for Elites and above, Cruise Critic meet and greets, etc. Why is it good for the goose, but not good for the gander?

The original premise was suite passengers get luxurious accommodations for their money. Should the big bucks also extend outside the four walls of their cabin, e.g., priority anything? Not stating one way or another, just the question from which people will have different opinions.

He's been spending time mostly on Eclipse.

I follow him on Facebook, and believe he just came off contract within a couple weeks and is spending time in England until his next go at it.

He just got his US Citizenship recently, and his US Passport last week.

On Eclipse, He's playing in Cellar Masters when he's on. I waited with him for an elevator one afternoon on the TA, and asked why he is stuffed in there, and not in sky lounge? He said he actually asked to be in Cellar Masters, as he doesn't really like the huge space of Sky lounge, he picked it himself.

Thanks. We are on the Eclipse next year to the Baltic. Hope he is still around.

The original premise was suite passengers get luxurious accommodations for their money. Should the big bucks also extend outside the four walls of their cabin, e.g., priority anything? Not stating one way or another, just the question from which people will have different opinions.

Yes, I feel they should. Just like first class on an airplane. Sure, I get a much better seat, but I also get free drinks, better food, etc. and I feel that suite customers on Celebrity should get some of the same amenities that other cruise lines extend to their suite passengers.

I don't have a problem with a venue being block to the general population for suites and Zeniths, Elites and above, Cruise Critic meet and greets, etc., it is just that I find it funny that some complain a venue for suites/Zenith's only, but don't have a problem with blocking off venues for others. You have to wonder if Michael's Club was closed only to Elites and Elites+ (which has been suggested on here), would there be the same complaints.

Edited by NLH Arizona

So I'm here to day that Suites don't really generate a whole lot of "extra" money for the cruise lines an a per square foot basis versus standard cabins, as they get all the included perks, free dining etc.

Carnival and Motel 6 would agree with you. But someone from the Hotel industry would know the answer of how higher end services bring in more dollars.

Burt

Carnival and Motel 6 would agree with you. But someone from the Hotel industry would know the answer of how higher end services bring in more dollars.

Burt

I can vouch for how that works.

I've sailed in 6 X suites out of my 7 cruises and I spend nearly nothing on board, as the suite and drink package covers all my needs. 3 penthouses (4 night connie, 13 night TA, 7 night caribbean reflection), 2 royals (7 night connie, 13 night TA), 1 celebrity suite (7 night Summit Caribbean). 3 of these my sea pass was not charged a dime when I left ship.

They come with specialty dining 1 or 2 nights per cruise, drinks are covered with 123, OK i upgrade to premium. Even without free drinks package, we get free drinks in Michaels, and there are plenty of elite events for other freebies. I book my own excursions if I want to go. And I book as a single, so only 1 person gratuity. I get double coupons - 1 set for my elite status, 1 set for suite status, so I get free gelato and free specialty coffees, and free laundry pressing and dry cleaning and discounts on wine purchases....I get invites to Captain's table for dinner making that in essence another specialty dining experience. I can go to BLU at no charge, another specialty dining experience. I mentioned to Hotel Director one night at the captains dinner I thought the photo prices were crazy expensive just commenting about life on the ship. Next day I had a CD with all my photos on it, no charge, didn't even ask (he also didn't know I actually did already buy the one I was interested in). Hosting parties in the suite are complimentary unless one wants to serve alcohol, having guests for dinner in the suite costs nothing other than paying a gratuity if one wishes (and I do) as I would in any fine restaurant or specialty dining venue If I dine there (even when complimentary). But tips don't help the LINE, just the STAFF.

I'm not saying I fit the image of the "typical" suite cruiser, but seriously what does a suite guest really have left to spend their money on. Soe may go crazy for the spa, many probably don't.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Hotel Administration from The Ohio State University as well, and worked for Marriott for 6-7 years, leaving to work for my family once I achieved the position of Assistant General manager for 2 of those years. So I do know a little something about how hotels operate and budget ;)

So how do you think suite guests are bringing in more dollars. It's not from these types of things....perhaps a 1st time suite traveler MAYBE, but over time, we just like the extra room of the cabin.

The cabin itself tend to make you never leave. I got an email last night from a CC poster saying they rarely leave the suite and wanted ideas on how to invite people for gatherings even they don't know anyone on the ship to enjoy it more often without seeming "snobbish". Proof people spend lots of time in the cabin itself. She's afraid to post on CC because of the harshness often levied against suite travelers here. That was the second one this week actually.

The simple answer is YES.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Hotel Administration from The Ohio State University as well, and worked for Marriott for 6-7 years, leaving to work for my family once I achieved the position of Assistant General manager for 2 of those years. So I do know a little something about how hotels operate and budget ;)

Yes, that is why I said that.

So how do you think suite guests are bringing in more dollars. It's not from these types of things....perhaps a 1st time suite traveler MAYBE, but over time, we just like the extra room of the cabin.

Image. Same reason hotels are torn down and raised again in Vegas. An image of higher luxury allows the opporator to charge more for all the rooms. Even if you can't afford a suite, you are still willing to pay a little more for a room than a hotel with the same basic room but lesser image. Foot for foot, Celebrity and Princess cost more than RCL and Carnival. Sally and I have stayed in suites on all those lines and while RCL and Carnival have suites, the amenities that go with those suites are much different than the typical cabin of Princess and Celebrity. And I think it is fair to say that Celebrity has more of an image for luxury cruising than the more budget Motel 6 lines. If budget is less of an issue for cruising, then image is one more reason to sway the decision.

That is how suites, and all the good stuff that goes with them, bring more money to the company.

Burt

Yes, that is why I said that.

Image. Same reason hotels are torn down and raised again in Vegas. An image of higher luxury allows the opporator to charge more for all the rooms. Even if you can't afford a suite, you are still willing to pay a little more for a room than a hotel with the same basic room but lesser image. Foot for foot, Celebrity and Princess cost more than RCL and Carnival. Sally and I have stayed in suites on all those lines and while RCL and Carnival have suites, the amenities that go with those suites are much different than the typical cabin of Princess and Celebrity. And I think it is fair to say that Celebrity has more of an image for luxury cruising than the more budget Motel 6 lines. If budget is less of an issue for cruising, then image is one more reason to sway the decision.

That is how suites, and all the good stuff that goes with them, bring more money to the company.

Burt

Ok then, I buy this - to an extent.

But I'm asking how the suite guest on Celebrity is bringing in more revenue for celebrity versus the standard cabin guest. It's not thru their onboard spending. And it's not in the dollar paid for the cabin when related to a square foot of finite space on the ship.

I think X does a great job marketing their standard cabins as more favorable to other lines, I don't think people book standard cabins because they know there are some awesome suites down the hall from them though.

Ok then, I buy this - to an extent.

But I'm asking how the suite guest on Celebrity is bringing in more revenue for celebrity versus the standard cabin guest. It's not thru their onboard spending. And it's not in the dollar paid for the cabin when related to a square foot of finite space on the ship.

I think X does a great job marketing their standard cabins as more favorable to other lines, I don't think people book standard cabins because they know there are some awesome suites down the hall from them though.

It's not through YOUR on board spending. Everyone is not like you.