Construction begins on Seven Seas Explorer®: The Most Luxurious Ship in the World™

Remember, anyone who wants to go on the official Maiden voyafe may do so by booking at normal fare once reservations are opened, first come, first served. That's how Betsy and I and friends were able to sail on Marina and Riviera, and how we hope and expect to sail on Explorer.

IF Explorer is handled in the fasion as the previous PCH ships, invitations to a complimentary pre-maiden cruise will be extended first to the industry professionals, such as leading agents and travel journalists, who can do the best job of spreading the news of the new ship. Family and close friends of the corporate leaders will also obviously take part. There may be a few spots left which might be extended to "ordinary" passengers, who might be selected for an unpredictable and unexpected variety of reasons.

Remember, anyone who wants to go on the official Maiden voyafe may do so by booking at normal fare once reservations are opened, first come, first served. That's how Betsy and I and friends were able to sail on Marina and Riviera, and how we hope and expect to sail on Explorer.

IF Explorer is handled in the fasion as the previous PCH ships, invitations to a complimentary pre-maiden cruise will be extended first to the industry professionals, such as leading agents and travel journalists, who can do the best job of spreading the news of the new ship. Family and close friends of the corporate leaders will also obviously take part. There may be a few spots left which might be extended to "ordinary" passengers, who might be selected for an unpredictable and unexpected variety of reasons.

As usual, you explained it perfectly. As you said, anyone can book the maiden voyage. It is simply a matter of first come first served. There is certainly no reason to hold a "lottery"(????). Must say that the "hype" regarding the Explorer is wonderful. This ship will be booked for many months after the maiden voyage.

I think the odds of being on a "shakedown" cruise are slim as there are thousands of very loyal Regent customers that would like to have that opportunity.

Edited by Travelcat2

As usual, you explained it perfectly. As you said, anyone can book the maiden voyage. It is simply a matter of first come first served. There is certainly no reason to hold a "lottery"(????). Must say that the "hype" regarding the Explorer is wonderful. This ship will be booked for many months after the maiden voyage.

I think the odds of being on a "shakedown" cruise are slim as there are thousands of very loyal Regent customers that would like to have that opportunity.

If the odds are slim, as you say, wouldn't a lottery be the only fair way to dole out the tickets?

Do you really think first come first serve is the game plan?

I am not interested, but being beyond gold and having sailed with Regent for over 10 years, I asked my TA...a really large cruise agency, how I would go about getting booked....she said..."are you kidding."

Not sure if you are talking about the maiden voyage or the shakedown cruise. The executives at Regent invite people that will attend the shakedown cruise. This is, IMO, how it should be. After all, there are many industry people, family, TA's etc. that need to be considered.

If your TA really said "are you kidding", I would change TA's.

I have no doubts that Frank Del Rio and Kunal Kamlani know how to handle the situation -- the have plenty of experience.

Not sure if you are talking about the maiden voyage or the shakedown cruise. The executives at Regent invite people that will attend the shakedown cruise. This is, IMO, how it should be. After all, there are many industry people, family, TA's etc. that need to be considered.

If your TA really said "are you kidding", I would change TA's.

I have no doubts that Frank Del Rio and Kunal Kamlani know how to handle the situation -- the have plenty of experience.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I'm pretty sure my TA is as good as yours and who knows, maybe it's the same one.

Let's be realistic....you know, by virtue of your expression...."I have no doubts that Frank Del Rio and Kunal Kamlani know how to handle the situation -- the have plenty of experience.", that ordinary mortals don't stand a chance in the big picture.

Don't think you are talking about the same thing because you stated "In order to escape the stigma of being class oriented, would be nice if Regent simply created a lottery for ordinary mortals wanting to go on the maiden voyage and let the chips fall where they may. " This was obviously regarding the maiden voyage since that is what you specified.

Then you posted "If the odds are slim, as you say, wouldn't a lottery be the only fair way to dole out the tickets?" which was in response to being on the shakedown cruise.

I cannot talk about TA's other than to say that ours has the Explorer situation well under control. When I say that bookings for the maiden voyage are first come, first served, I don't know what else I can say. That is what I believe that it is.

In terms of the shakedown cruise, that is in the hands of management.,

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Are we talking about the same thing?

No. My previous discussion centered on a complimentary PRE-Maiden cruise -- call it what you like -- shakedown, christening, friends and family -- while your question was in regard to the maiden voyage.

Regarding the maiden voyage, TA's will likely have little to do with it. Once the actual reservation period is open, it will be 1st come, 1st served. Some TAs know how to get in at the earliest moment, but they will not dominate.

Regarding the possibility of being invited to a pre-maiden cruise, I've been doing my best to convey that process may be capricious. I strongly suspect that the more "clout" or "pull" that is attempted, the less likely one might be successful. Mr. Del Rio has been known to make such decisions based on some criteria uniquely his own.

In order to escape the stigma of being class oriented, would be nice if Regent simply created a lottery for ordinary mortals wanting to go on the maiden voyage and let the chips fall where they may.

Not sure that is a lottery I would want to win. I'll wait for a few months. Couldn't handle all the precious metal anyway.;)

I have just looked in on this thread - have cruised a lot of Radisson/Regent in the past but not recently.

We did one of the several 'shakedown' cruises on Voyager - some were for the US market and some for the UK - and paid for it at the time, with that same amount taken off your first paid for cruise on the ship later. Then, it was obvious that UK management were having trouble getting enough previous passengers for the trip, as there were all sorts on board who were not considered (by Captain Dag as well as us!) to be the usual type of passenger. Naturally, we were all pleased to have a few free days, and in fact that shakedown worked very well, apart from the dreaded vibration.

There are so many issues that can occur with a maiden voyage that make it unpredictable. For instance, delivery can be delayed due to contraction problems and the maiden voyage you have booked will be canceled and the following cruise which has been booked by a completely different set of passengers becomes the maiden voyage. Or construction can proceed more quickly than anticipated and the ship is finished earlier so they add another cruise prior to the so called maiden voyage. Then this new cruise in reality becomes the maiden voyage and the original one is a maiden in name only.

Just a little setback. After the tumor was removed from my heart, I had a lot of fluids -normal - and swelling in my legs and belly. The problem was that my kidneys were not playing nice and I wasn't getting rid of the fluids. After several days at home the swelling increased to pitting. I was readmitted last Thurs for tests to be certain there were no physical blockages, then zapped with iv diuretics. Been back to normal since Sat, but kept for observation. Going home again tomorrow. Can't wait, the food is horrible :). Cruise Critic keeps me sane...or as close to that as I ever will be :rolleyes:.

Get well and take your meds as directed...

I always enjoy reading your perspective. One of the better informed posters.

• 2 weeks later...

Don -

Sorry to hear about the new spell in hospital. Maybe FDR could arrange some food to be sent over from the Riviera for you?? Wouldn't that be a nice gesture?

I just hope that the maiden voyage goes from a northern Italian port (given that the Explorer is being built in Genova). that would make it really handy... and maybe sometime later in the year when there is something to see I will pop down to Genova and take some photos. "Explorer rising" or some such! It's only 3 1/2 hours from here...

get 100% well quickly!

Gerry

Don -

Sorry to hear about the new spell in hospital. Maybe FDR could arrange some food to be sent over from the Riviera for you?? Wouldn't that be a nice gesture?

I just hope that the maiden voyage goes from a northern Italian port (given that the Explorer is being built in Genova). that would make it really handy... and maybe sometime later in the year when there is something to see I will pop down to Genova and take some photos. "Explorer rising" or some such! It's only 3 1/2 hours from here...

get 100% well quickly!

Gerry

I'm home, now, with lingering edema but recovering nicely, Hard to believe it's been a month since the surgery! They'll let me drive in a few more weeks.

Riviera, of course, was built in the same shipyard. Folks did drive there a couple of times and were able to get photos of her under construction, sounds like fun! She began her Christening cruise (the promotional cruise prior to the Maiden voyage) in Monte Carlo, presumably because boarding facilities were better there. Guests were flown into Nice and transported to Monte Carlo. The actual christening was in Barcelona, possibly because Oceania's very first christening (Regatta) was located there. The Maiden voyage began in Venice and ended in Athens.

The folks at PCH are very big on tradition; recall or discover where each of the three previous Regent ships were christened and where they began their maiden voyages and perhaps you might form a guess about Explorer.

However, Marina's christening was in Miami, after her Maiden Voyage from Barcelona. This was because she was the very first ship actually designed and built by PCH, and they wanted to show her off in their home port.

I can hardly wait for the plans for Explorer -- I'm certain she will top them all!

Don, I have not been spending very much time on CC lately, and just now found out about your surgery. I wanted to join the others in wishing you a full recovery. Like so many others, I feel like I know you from all your wonderful advice here. You probably don't remember, but I was on the cruise you had to miss at the last minute back in 2010. It was our first O cruise and you were a great help in answering questions for me. I still hope to get to meet you & Betsy in person some day soon.

Edited by yorkiemomjn